Azerbaijan welcomes UN chief’s call for revitalizing mediation initiatives for Karabakh conflict
Azerbaijan welcomes and supports UN Secretary General António Guterres's call for revitalizing OSCE Minsk Group’s mediation initiatives for the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry, told APA.
UN Secretary General António Guterres in his speech at an informal meeting of the General Assembly on January 16 underscored the need to revitalize OSCE Minsk Group’s mediation initiatives for the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Hajiyev said the UN Secretary General very accurately noted that the existence of unresolved conflicts against the background of resources, opportunities and institutions available in Europe can not be justified. “Although the issue of security is perceived in Europe as a single principle, unfortunately, reality is far from that,” he said.
The foreign ministry spokesman recalled that the aggressive Armenian separatism that swept the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan in the late 1980s, led to Armenia’s military aggression against Azerbaijan, the occupation of 20 percent of Azerbaijani territories and the bloody ethnic cleansing of more than a million Azerbaijanis.
He stressed that Armenia – which is an OSCE member – in contravention of the UN Charter and the Helsinki Final Act, continues the occupation of territories of another OSCE member, Azerbaijan, and this fact remains a serious threat to peace and security in the region.
“Armenia still ignores UN Security Council resolutions demanding a complete and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories. Such occupation policy of Armenia and attempts to seize territories by the use of force can be compared to the unpleasant experience which arose in Europe in the 1930-40s,” added Hajiyev.
Hajiyev noted that Azerbaijan will continue to take joint efforts with the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs and international community in order to settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict in accordance with the UN Security Council resolutions and Helsinki Final Act and to ensure lasting peace and security in the region.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Dialogue must be established between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA comments on Armenian president’s congratulatory message to illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Erdogan: One of greatest atrocities in human history happened in Khojaly
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister: War may break out at any time
- 19.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia to remain isolated until occupied Azerbaijani lands get liberated
- 08.02.2018Armenian scientist banned from participating in Italy int’l conference for conducting research in Karabakh
- 08.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.02.2018Intensive talks to continue after presidential elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia – MFA
- 07.02.2018U.S. says will continue efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 06.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk visits Tartar District Executive Authority
- 04.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 03.02.2018Anti-Azerbaijan provocation prevented during scientific seminar in Moscow
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 02.02.2018Foreign Ministry makes statement on scheduled visit of OSCE MG co-chairs to Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on Feb. 7
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies conditions for increasing number of OSCE observers on contact line of troops
- 01.02.2018Russian FM talks about increasing number of OSCE observers in Karabakh conflict zone
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow today
- 18.01.2018Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Poland
- 18.01.2018Armenia soldier receives gunshot wound
- 17.01.2018ICG reveals some issues to be discussed at upcoming meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani FM: France should prevent entry of Karabakh separatists into its territory
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow