Azerbaijan welcomes UN chief’s call for revitalizing mediation initiatives for Karabakh conflict
Azerbaijan welcomes and supports UN Secretary General António Guterres's call for revitalizing OSCE Minsk Group’s mediation initiatives for the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry, told APA.
UN Secretary General António Guterres in his speech at an informal meeting of the General Assembly on January 16 underscored the need to revitalize OSCE Minsk Group’s mediation initiatives for the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Hajiyev said the UN Secretary General very accurately noted that the existence of unresolved conflicts against the background of resources, opportunities and institutions available in Europe can not be justified. “Although the issue of security is perceived in Europe as a single principle, unfortunately, reality is far from that,” he said.
The foreign ministry spokesman recalled that the aggressive Armenian separatism that swept the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan in the late 1980s, led to Armenia’s military aggression against Azerbaijan, the occupation of 20 percent of Azerbaijani territories and the bloody ethnic cleansing of more than a million Azerbaijanis.
He stressed that Armenia – which is an OSCE member – in contravention of the UN Charter and the Helsinki Final Act, continues the occupation of territories of another OSCE member, Azerbaijan, and this fact remains a serious threat to peace and security in the region.
“Armenia still ignores UN Security Council resolutions demanding a complete and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories. Such occupation policy of Armenia and attempts to seize territories by the use of force can be compared to the unpleasant experience which arose in Europe in the 1930-40s,” added Hajiyev.
Hajiyev noted that Azerbaijan will continue to take joint efforts with the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs and international community in order to settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict in accordance with the UN Security Council resolutions and Helsinki Final Act and to ensure lasting peace and security in the region.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani-born Armenian arrives in Baku
- 25.05.2018No discussion yet on date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting – Mammadyarov
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani FM: Proposing Karabakh separatists’ participation in talks means ‘killing’ peace process
- 25.05.2018FM: Azerbaijan ready for good neighborly relations with Armenia after restoration of its territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani people confident of restoring country’s territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Trump: Coming months bring opportunities to resolve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan says Armenia’s position impedes political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan's Shusha city by Armenia
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow today
- 18.01.2018Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Poland
- 18.01.2018Armenia soldier receives gunshot wound
- 17.01.2018ICG reveals some issues to be discussed at upcoming meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani FM: France should prevent entry of Karabakh separatists into its territory
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow