Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
The illegal visit of a Canadian MP to Azerbaijani territories occupied by Armenia is another political provocation of Armenia, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
This illegal visit of Canadian parliament member Tony Clement to the occupied Azerbaijani territories is organized by the Armenian National Committee of Canada and the Armenian lobby, with which Tony Clement had close relations as an exchange for financial reward, said Hajiyev.
“This person, who has repeatedly been accused of bribery and corruption, having visited the occupied territories of Azerbaijan in exchange for financial reward, is trying to hide behind the veil of lies and justify the aggression and the bloody policy of ethnic cleansing committed by Armenia against Azerbaijan,” noted the spokesperson.
Tony Clement also tries to get financial support from the Armenian lobby of Canada in future elections as an exchange for these services, added Hajiyev.
According to him, such actions, accompanied by violation of laws of the Republic of Azerbaijan, norms and principles of international law, as well as moral, ethical and humanistic values, should first of all be viewed as contempt for Canadian voters and the traditions of parliamentarism in Canada.
“We hope that the relevant ethics committee of Canada’s parliament will consider Clement's actions outside the country,” said the Azerbaijani official.
He noted that Armenia’s Foreign Ministry deliberately introduces NGO Head Majed Al Shafi, who accompanied Tony Clement during this visit, as a member of the Canadian parliament.
“We call upon Majed Al Shafi, who deals with the rights of religious minorities, to draw attention to the fact that Armenia has become the only monoethnic state in the world. Armenia subjected to ethnic cleansing more than 300,000 Muslims living in Armenia, persecutes the Yazidis, Assyrians and Russian Molokans living in this country, and also shows intolerance towards representatives of other Christian churches and communities,” said Hajiyev.
He added that Armenia has completely destroyed the material and cultural heritage of Azerbaijan in the occupied territories.
The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry has expressed its concern and discontent to the Canadian Foreign Ministry and parliament. The names of Tony Clement and Majed Al Shafi will be included in the list of undesirable persons.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Dialogue must be established between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA comments on Armenian president’s congratulatory message to illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Erdogan: One of greatest atrocities in human history happened in Khojaly
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister: War may break out at any time
- 19.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia to remain isolated until occupied Azerbaijani lands get liberated
- 08.02.2018Armenian scientist banned from participating in Italy int’l conference for conducting research in Karabakh
- 08.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.02.2018Intensive talks to continue after presidential elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia – MFA
- 07.02.2018U.S. says will continue efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 06.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk visits Tartar District Executive Authority
- 04.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 03.02.2018Anti-Azerbaijan provocation prevented during scientific seminar in Moscow
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 02.02.2018Foreign Ministry makes statement on scheduled visit of OSCE MG co-chairs to Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on Feb. 7
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies conditions for increasing number of OSCE observers on contact line of troops
- 01.02.2018Russian FM talks about increasing number of OSCE observers in Karabakh conflict zone
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 31.08.2017Nothing new in Hoagland’s latest statement: Russian MFA
- 31.08.2017Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity