Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
The illegal visit of a Canadian MP to Azerbaijani territories occupied by Armenia is another political provocation of Armenia, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
This illegal visit of Canadian parliament member Tony Clement to the occupied Azerbaijani territories is organized by the Armenian National Committee of Canada and the Armenian lobby, with which Tony Clement had close relations as an exchange for financial reward, said Hajiyev.
“This person, who has repeatedly been accused of bribery and corruption, having visited the occupied territories of Azerbaijan in exchange for financial reward, is trying to hide behind the veil of lies and justify the aggression and the bloody policy of ethnic cleansing committed by Armenia against Azerbaijan,” noted the spokesperson.
Tony Clement also tries to get financial support from the Armenian lobby of Canada in future elections as an exchange for these services, added Hajiyev.
According to him, such actions, accompanied by violation of laws of the Republic of Azerbaijan, norms and principles of international law, as well as moral, ethical and humanistic values, should first of all be viewed as contempt for Canadian voters and the traditions of parliamentarism in Canada.
“We hope that the relevant ethics committee of Canada’s parliament will consider Clement's actions outside the country,” said the Azerbaijani official.
He noted that Armenia’s Foreign Ministry deliberately introduces NGO Head Majed Al Shafi, who accompanied Tony Clement during this visit, as a member of the Canadian parliament.
“We call upon Majed Al Shafi, who deals with the rights of religious minorities, to draw attention to the fact that Armenia has become the only monoethnic state in the world. Armenia subjected to ethnic cleansing more than 300,000 Muslims living in Armenia, persecutes the Yazidis, Assyrians and Russian Molokans living in this country, and also shows intolerance towards representatives of other Christian churches and communities,” said Hajiyev.
He added that Armenia has completely destroyed the material and cultural heritage of Azerbaijan in the occupied territories.
The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry has expressed its concern and discontent to the Canadian Foreign Ministry and parliament. The names of Tony Clement and Majed Al Shafi will be included in the list of undesirable persons.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan urges OIC countries to limit all forms of co-op with Armenia
- 20.09.2017OIC Contact Group mulls Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan at UN
- 20.09.2017Turkish president: “We need to work harder for the resolution of Nagorno Garabakh” - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs expected to meet on Sept. 23 - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017US co-chair says he hopes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will create a basis for presidents’ meeting
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 09.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 06.09.2017Armenians resort to provocation against Azerbaijan at int’l book fair in Moscow
- 06.09.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform represented in economic forum in Poland
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs adopts Baku statement
- 03.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 01.09.2017Serzh Sargsyan attends inauguration of highway in Azerbaijan’s occupied district.
- 01.09.2017Armenian soldier killed in landmine explosion in Nagorno Karabakh
- 31.08.2017Moscow: No information about next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 31.08.2017Nothing new in Hoagland’s latest statement: Russian MFA
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
- 31.08.2017Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED
- 28.02.2013Azerbaijanis beaten in French parliament give testimony at gendarmerie
- 01.03.2013Azerbaijani Foreign Minister leaves for Paris to attend Nagorno- Karabakh negotiations
- 01.03.2013Elman Abdullayev: “Lithuanian parliamentarians’ initiative to establish friendship group with separatist regime in Nagorno-Karabakh is sourced from personal political and financial interests”
- 28.02.2013French Foreign Ministry condemns brutal beating of two Azerbaijanis by Armenians in National Assembly
- 28.02.2013Mirvari Fataliyeva: “There are still traces of beating on my face”
- 28.02.2013Armenians present at French parliament event, where two Azerbaijanis were beaten, to give testimonies today