Azerbaijan says Amnesty Press correspondent’s visit to Karabakh illegal
Amnesty Press correspondent Izabella Rosengren’s visit to Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region occupied by Armenia is illegal, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesperson for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA on Tuesday.
On August 15, Amnesty Press, the publication of Amnesty International, published an article on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. Amnesty Press correspondent Izabella Rosengren also paid an illegal visit to the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region.
The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry has received no appeal regarding [Rosengren’s visit], Hajiyev said, stressing that this article is biased and promotes the consequences of Armenia’s military aggression against Azerbaijan.
“Despite the fact that during the coverage of conflicts the objective media principles require taking into account the stances of both sides, unilateral propaganda was conducted in this article. This indicates that this article is custom-made,” added the spokesman.
The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry is currently investigating the Amnesty Press correspondent’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh, and her name can be added to the list of undesirable people.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs meet in Minsk
- 22.06.2018Baku supports promotion of ties between Nagorno-Karabakh’s Azerbaijani, Armenian communities – FM
- 21.06.2018Lavrov: Solution won’t be far off if Karabakh conflict sides reach consensus
- 21.06.2018Mogherini: EU supports Minsk Group’s mediation efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 20.06.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan's main goal to liberate its occupied lands
- 20.06.2018Return to Jojug Marjanli further strengthened IDPs’ hope to return to native lands: committee chairman
- 20.06.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict requires early political settlement - EU
- 18.06.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Manvel Grigoryan participated in Khojaly genocide and other war crimes
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 29.08.2017US formally appoints its new co-chair of OSCE MG
- 28.08.2017Portuguese charge d'affaires summoned to Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
- 27.08.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan