Armenian shelling: Hundreds of houses damaged in Azerbaijan’s Terter, Aghjabadi districts
As many as 58 houses, 2 school buildings, one shop and one cotton receiver facility were damaged as a result of the shelling, Mammadov said.
He added that the shelling caused two power transmitting substations to explode, which cut off electricity supply to 20 villages.
“Efforts are being made to restore electricity supply in those villages. No civilian has been killed or wounded,” Mammadov said.
According to him, the Armenian shelling of residential areas, which began on 2 April 2016, a total of 256 houses have been damaged.
Elsewhere, the Armenian strikes on populated areas have caused significant damage to houses in Aghjabadi district too.
Head of the Aghjabadi district executive authority, Shahin Mammadov told APA that up to 25 houses were damaged as a result of the enemy’s strikes.
“One house in the Garakhanli village has burned down completely. The roofs of many houses have been hit by the shells and the windows smashed. Fortunately, no causalities were reported,” he said.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the OSCE Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 25.06.2017Armenians violate ceasefire with Azerbaijan 148 times
- 24.06.2017Erdogan: "Turkey and Azerbaijan are on the same position on Karabakh issue"
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani army adequately retaliated against enemy a week ago – President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Int’l community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as an integral part of Azerbaijan
- 23.06.2017EU: Ceasefire violations indicate status quo in Karabak conflict ‘unsustainable’
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan’s refugee and IDP pain highlighted in the French Senate
- 22.06.2017Moscow says OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement fully reflects its stance
- 22.06.2017MFA spokesman: OSCE MG co-chairs should draw conclusions from public discontent in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017ICRC begins dialogue with parties on Armenian scout captured by Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2017U.S. Department of State: "The United States is deeply concerned over the recent violations of the ceasefire"
- 21.06.2017ICRC visits Azerbaijani detainees in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan removes Japanese blogger from ‘black list’
- 21.06.2017Stark reminders of Azerbaijan’s IDP plight come to Brussels
- 21.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 20.06.2017EU envoy expresses concern over situation in South Caucasus
- 20.06.2017Minister: There can’t be an influx of tourists to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM: Some Muslim countries still provide assistance to Armenia
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM criticizes OSCE MG co-chairs for failing to settle Karabakh conflict
- 19.06.2017Co-chairs to brief Minsk Group members on Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia pursues goal of undermining Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement after their visit to region
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Most int’l organizations recognize occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 19.06.2017Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed: German envoy
- 19.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia tries to interfere with OSCE MG co-chairs’ activities
- 19.06.2017Popov expresses regret over recent ceasefire violations on contact line
- 19.06.2017Popov: Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents stand for continuation of peace talks
- 19.06.2017Popov: Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement addressed to both sides
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani official accuses Armenia of continued provocations
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan will never give up principle of territorial integrity
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to start visit to Azerbaijan today
- 18.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Responsibility for escalation of situation in front entirely falls on Armenia
- 17.06.2017Another Armenian soldier killed on frontline
- 17.06.2017Two Armenian soldiers wounded in Nagorno Karabakh
- 16.06.2017Three Armenian soldiers violating ceasefire killed
- 16.06.2017IDP plight highlighted for new Westminster Parliament
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia’s policy aimed at maintaining status-quo hinders progress in Karabakh talks
- 16.06.2017Bryza: War is in interests of neither Azerbaijan nor Armenia
- 16.06.2017Ex-US ambassador: Armenia should withdraw from occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 28.04.2016Situation in Karabakh remains tense – CSTO chief
- 28.04.2016Azerbaijan's civilian injured in Armenian shelling dies in hospital
- 28.04.2016EU supports OSCE MG efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 28.04.2016Educational institutions badly damaged in Armenian shelling of Azerbaijani settlements
- 28.04.2016Armenia’s power nothing compared to Azerbaijan’s – Erdogan
- 28.04.2016Azerbaijan urges int’l community to condemn Armenia for provocations