Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meets with EU Delegation to Azerbaijan
Suzan Jaginyan, cocoordinator of Peace Platform from Armenia, expressed her gratitude to the guests for the visit. Then, Jaginyan informed the guests about the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform, stressing the importance of international support to the process of peace-building. Susan Jaginyan stated that the nations of Armenia and Azerbaijan are tired of the conflict that has been lasting for more than 25 years. The nations want to live in peace and tranquility. Cocoordinator of the Peace Platform from Azerbaijan Orkhan Nabiyev provided the guests with information about the Platform's main goals, principles and future plans. Moreover, Orkhan Nabiyev stressed the role of citizen diplomacy of the European Union regarding the resolution of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno Karabakh conflict as well as the importance of cooperation in this field.
The First Counselor of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan Mr. Denis Daniilidis underlined the importance of people to people contacts between Armenia and Azerbaijan, as prerequisites for a peaceful settlement. Continuing aggressive rhetoric does not contribute to creating a better understanding between the two nations. The EU has been supporting a series of confidence building measures through EPNK project. Stressing that a peaceful solution to the Nagorno Karabakh conflict will lead to the development of the entire region, Daniilidis appreciated the activity of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform and its potential future contribution in this field. In the end, the guests thanked the coordinators of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform and wished the Platform success.
Coordinators of the Platform expressed their gratitude for their advice.
For the purposes of contributing to a peaceful settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform was established on December 6, 2016. The Platform is an initiative of the citizens of Azerbaijan and Armenia who wish to contribute to the peaceful settlement of the conflict.
The initiative on the creation of the Platform has generated the interest of the international community as well as attracted the high level of public attention in both conflicting states. A large number of well-known experts highly appreciated this initiative and stressed the very special role of the above-mentioned peacekeeping initiative in the process of the peaceful settlement of the conflict.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
- 28.04.2017Elmar Mammadyarov commented on Foreign Ministers' Moscow meeting on Nagorno-Karabakh - EXCLUSIVE
- 28.04.2017Baku: Results of Moscow talks will be reported to presidents
- 28.04.2017Baku-born Armenian Erik Khachaturov visits office of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 28.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs discuss Karabakh conflict - STATEMENT
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan to blacklist foreign musicians for illegally visiting Karabakh
- 27.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet behind closed doors
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan: 179 unknown martyrs’ graves found in recent years
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s plan to hold int’l conference in Nagorno-Karabakh is another provocation
- 27.04.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to join meeting of Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 27.04.2017Chair of Moldovan section of Int’l Human Rights Society joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 27.04.2017Italian ambassador: Karabakh conflict - region’s biggest problem
- 27.04.2017Florans Manjen: "Settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is a priority for France"
- 26.04.2017Russia delivers a new batch of modern weapons and military equipment to Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2017FM Mammadyarov to join tripartite meeting in Moscow – Foreign Ministry
- 26.04.2017Co-chairs meet with full Minsk Group in Vienna
- 26.04.2017Moscow: Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs to meet on April 28
- 25.04.2017Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 25.04.2017French presidential candidate vows to make ‘every effort’ to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 25.04.2017Lavrov: Moscow sees OSCE’s desire to help resolve Karabakh conflict
- 25.04.2017The Independent’s article distorts situation in region: Azerbaijani MFA
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani army eliminates Armenian soldier who violated ceasefire
- 25.04.2017Hollande: No military solution to Karabakh conflict
- 24.04.2017‘Peace Ambassador’ of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Poland appointed
- 24.04.2017Foreign doctors to examine Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenians: State Commission
- 23.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 114 times
- 21.04.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform, NGO “The Caucasus Interface” agree upon cooperation
- 21.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs likely to meet on April 27
- 20.04.2017Polish health worker joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 20.04.2017Kamran Imanov: To justify its territorial claims, Armenia continues appropriation of Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan pleased with stance of Muslim countries on Karabakh conflict – PA official
- 19.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs may meet in Moscow
- 19.04.2017Associate Professor of Belarusian State University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to blacklist foreign companies operating illegally in its occupied territories
- 18.04.2017Russian Orthodox Church comments on CMO’s Khojaly appeal
- 17.04.2017Chairman of Association for Polish-Azerbaijani Cooperation joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.04.2017Head of Israeli Research Center joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister met with Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council of Iran
- 16.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 14.04.2017Grandson of Armenian Drama Theater founder joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 13.04.2017Moldovan political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 02.03.2017US envoy: Karabakh conflict settlement to bring stability, prosperity to Azerbaijan and region
- 02.03.2017Doctor of Historical Sciences Inanj Atilgan joins to Armenia Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 02.03.2017French lawyer initiates Khojaly Genocide petition
- 01.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Armenia must comply with resolutions or face sanctions"
- 01.03.2017Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 01.03.2017Armenia arrests two military officers charged with abuse of power