Mircea Lucescu takes over as Turkish national team coach
Romanian coach Mircea Lucescu took over as the Turkish national team head coach on Aug. 2, three days after Fatih Terim’s departure, APA reports quoting Hurriyet.
He is expected to meet with Turkish Football Federation (TFF) head Yıldırım Demirören in Istanbul.
Lucesu was previously appointed as the coach of Galatasaray in 2000 and Beşiktaş in 2002.
He was also the manager of Shakhdar Donetsk in 2004 and more recently Zenit Saint Petersburg, a post he left in May 2017.
Terim’s three-year tenure as the Turkish football’s top coach ended last week when the Turkish Football Federation announced that the two sides parted ways.
Terim was recently involved in a brawl in the holiday resort of Alaçatı, İzmir, amid tensions between his son-in-law, who runs a restaurant in the resort, and the owner of a neighboring kebab house.
The owner of the kebab house, a former friend of Terim, filed criminal charges against the veteran coach on accusations of assault. Terim said he had not stepped down but was actually fired by the federation.
Turkey currently sits third place in the 2018 World Cup Qualification Stage Group I on 11 points, with its fate depending on the failure of its opponents in the remaining matches.
Related news releases
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 19.11.2017Football: Basaksehir trash leaders Galatasaray, 5-1
- 10.11.2017Russia unveils official match ball of 2018 FIFA World Cup; Messi ‘gives it a try’
- 04.11.2017Ghana ranks 52nd on FIFA World Ranking
- 03.11.2017Gurban Gurbanov appointed head coach of Azerbaijani national football team
- 03.11.2017Europa League: Konyaspor, Salzburg draw 0-0 in Austria
- 01.11.2017UEFA Champions League: Atletico Madrid 1 - 1 Qarabagh FC
- 26.10.2017AFFA does not extend contract with Robert Prosinečki
- 24.10.2017Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men's Player for second year running
- 24.10.2017Fifa Best Awards: Olivier Giroud wins the Puskas Award for stunning scorpion kick
- 18.10.2017Qarabag gets first UEFA Champions League Group point
- 07.10.2017Football: Iceland crush Turkey's 2018 World Cup dreams
- 06.10.2017Bayern Munich confirm Jupp Heynckes return for fourth spell as head coach
- 01.10.2017Galatasaray win thanks to last-minute goal
- 27.09.2017Champions League: Qarabag 1 – 2 Roma
- 24.09.2017Fenerbahce beat Besiktas in eventful Istanbul derby
- 22.09.2017Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar lead FIFA best player shortlist
- 21.09.2017Date of the European League final in Baku determined
- 20.09.2017Alexis Sanchez Ignores Real and Chooses Man City
- 14.09.2017UK minister wishes FC Qarabag to win Chelsea with score of 7:0
- 13.09.2017PSG’s devastating trident destroy Celtic
- 13.09.2017Lionel Messi magic leads Barcelona to Juventus win
- 13.09.2017Champions League: Chelsea defeats Qarabag
- 06.09.2017Turkey beat Croatia in critical World Cup qualifier
- 04.09.2017Azerbaijan beats San Marino 5-1 in World Cup qualifier
- 02.09.2017UEFA opens probe into PSG club over compliance with financial fair play rules
- 03.08.2017Galatasaray to sign Fernando from Man City
- 04.08.2017Fenerbahce beat Strum Graz in Europa League
- 04.08.2017Gabala FC ends up in the Europa League
- 01.08.2017Azerbaijan's Garabagh FC qualifies to the playoffs of the Champions League
- 28.07.2017Europe League: Panathinaikos - Gabala - 1: 0
- 27.07.2017Fenerbahce take round one against Sturm Graz