Karbala, Mashhad pilgrimages from Azerbaijan should be regulated
Baku. Mubariz Aslanov – APA. Azerbaijan has not prohibited pilgrimages to Karbala and Mashhad, but these trips have to be regulated, Mubariz Gurbanli, chairman of the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations, told reporters on Thursday.
Earlier, seven buses carrying about 500 Azerbaijani pilgrims had been stopped at Iran's Mehran border checkpoint on return from Karbala due to a problem of documentation. The problem has already been resolved.
Gurbanli noted that companies organizing trips to religious sites have to first get permit from the State Committee in this regard.
“The Hajj pilgrimage is an exception since it takes place on the basis of a protocol between the State Committee and Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately, the last such trip [to Karbala] was illegal,” he said.
He added that Azerbaijani citizens going to Iran and Iraq do not usually face any problem.
“We consider that a special attention should be paid to companies organizing pilgrimage of a group of people. These companies should get permission from the State Committee. The organizers and pilgrims should be identified. Hundreds of people are taken to foreign countries by some groups under the pretext of pilgrimage. Some even act against the interests of Azerbaijan in foreign countries. We are investigating these cases. We made proposals to the organizations in this regard,” he said.
Gurbanli added that the state does not intend impose any ban on the visit to Karbala.
Related news releases
- 27.11.2017State Committee: Some forces in Azerbaijan seek to add political elements into Ashura commemorations
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia organize int’l conference on interfaith dialogue - UPDATED
- 23.11.2017Karabakh conflict planted seeds of separatism, ethnic strife in post-Soviet territory – CMO chairman
- 25.10.2017Patriarch Kirill: Desecration of religious monuments is perilous for any conflict
- 18.10.2017Protocols drawn up in relation two persons for execution of illegal religious rituals in Baku
- 13.10.2017Knowledge Fund: Some families in Azerbaijan follow sectarian rules
- 13.10.2017Some websites propagate religious discrimination in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 06.10.2017Another 10 mosques entrusted to Muslim community in Georgia
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Shamakhi Juma Mosque is of great importance for entire Muslim world
- 01.10.2017Azerbaijan marks Ashura Day
- 29.09.2017Representatives of Azerbaijan’s religious communities visit NATO Headquarters
- 25.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Terror attacks committed under guise of Islam are biggest injustice towards Muslims
- 22.09.2017Ashura commemorations in Azerbaijan will be held in line with fatwa – committee chairman
- 22.09.2017Month of Muharram begins
- 20.09.2017Head of Azerbaijan’s religious confessions to visit Brussels
- 14.09.2017Believers propose abolishing post of akhunds in Azerbaijani mosques
- 14.09.2017Mubariz Gurbanli, Allahshukur Pashazade differ on use of loudspeakers at mosques
- 14.09.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on month of Muharram
- 12.09.2017First group of Azerbaijani Hajj pilgrims returns home
- 08.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade invited Patriarch Kirill to visit Armenian church in Baku
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill calls for release of captives of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 08.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to Karekin II: Occupied Azerbaijan lands should be liberated
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani, Russian and Armenian religious leaders meet in Moscow
- 07.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade leaves for Moscow to meet Catholicos Karekin II
- 05.09.2017CMO strongly condemns Myanmar’s violence against Rohingya Muslims
- 01.09.2017Georgian government’s officials visit Juma Mosque
- 01.09.2017Eid al-Adha prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 01.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Eid al-Adha
- 29.08.2017Month of Muharram to begin on September 22
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian religious leaders to meet in Moscow - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on Eid al-Adha
- 24.08.2017First groups of Azerbaijani pilgrims leave for Hajj
- 23.08.2017Number of Hajj pilgrims from Azerbaijan to exceed quota this year
- 22.08.2017State Committee: Religious education in Azerbaijan’s secondary schools out of question
- 17.08.2017“Threats of religious radicalism in Azerbaijan have almost been eliminated”
- 15.07.2017Prayer of unity performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 15.07.2017Heydar Mosque holds event to commemorate victims of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Prayer of unity to be performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani mosques to commemorate Alkhanli victims
- 26.06.2017CMO chairman: Some countries interfere with our domestic affairs, seeking to create religious discrimination
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijan to establish ‘Sheikh-ul-Islam’ prize for journalists
- 01.12.2016Baku hosts int’l conference on religion and multiculturalism
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Religious leaders play big part in restoration of peace in Caucasus
- 22.11.2016Resolved problems of 500 Azerbaijani pilgrims, stopped on the Iran-Iraq border - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Patriarch Kirill
- 02.11.2016Over 2,100 banned religious books seized in Azerbaijan since early 2016