Karbala, Mashhad pilgrimages from Azerbaijan should be regulated
Baku. Mubariz Aslanov – APA. Azerbaijan has not prohibited pilgrimages to Karbala and Mashhad, but these trips have to be regulated, Mubariz Gurbanli, chairman of the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations, told reporters on Thursday.
Earlier, seven buses carrying about 500 Azerbaijani pilgrims had been stopped at Iran's Mehran border checkpoint on return from Karbala due to a problem of documentation. The problem has already been resolved.
Gurbanli noted that companies organizing trips to religious sites have to first get permit from the State Committee in this regard.
“The Hajj pilgrimage is an exception since it takes place on the basis of a protocol between the State Committee and Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately, the last such trip [to Karbala] was illegal,” he said.
He added that Azerbaijani citizens going to Iran and Iraq do not usually face any problem.
“We consider that a special attention should be paid to companies organizing pilgrimage of a group of people. These companies should get permission from the State Committee. The organizers and pilgrims should be identified. Hundreds of people are taken to foreign countries by some groups under the pretext of pilgrimage. Some even act against the interests of Azerbaijan in foreign countries. We are investigating these cases. We made proposals to the organizations in this regard,” he said.
Gurbanli added that the state does not intend impose any ban on the visit to Karbala.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan abolishing certain restrictions on foreigners leading religious ceremonies
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade meets with Georgian PM
- 21.04.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Number of forces linking Islam to terrorism increasing
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia
- 17.04.2017Special commission members visit Haji Javad mosque
- 15.04.2017Sheikhulislam: Some, under guise of religion, are trying to create tension around Haji Javad Mosque
- 12.04.2017State Committee sheds light on demolition of mosques in Baku's Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017CMO chairman comments on demolition of mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to discuss excavations at Shusha mosque with Karekin II
- 12.04.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on Islamic solidarity
- 10.04.2017Illegal gathering of Jehovah witnesses prevented in Baku
- 29.03.2017CMO urges int’l community to legally assess Armenia’s acts of genocide against Azerbaijanis
- 17.03.2017AZN 3 million allocated to Caucasian Muslims Board
- 15.03.2017Participants of Islamic solidarity conference in Baku appeal to int’l community
- 15.03.2017Archimandrite Philaret: Azerbaijan – a good example of coexistence of various religions
- 15.03.2017Patriarch of All Georgia: Like other religions, Islam has also faced global challenges
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Islamic solidarity is vitally important
- 15.03.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promotion of Islamic Solidarity
- 14.03.2017Appeal to int’l organizations: Save Heritage of Albania’s Autocephalous Church and Turkic Christians
- 09.03.2017Baku to host int’l conference to contribute to Islamic solidarity
- 23.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade phones Georgia’s Patriarch Ilia II
- 18.02.2017CMO chairman: Europe is raising walls to keep migrants out
- 18.02.2017Azerbaijani religious communities to appeal to world parliaments over Khojaly genocide
- 18.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: There is no conflict and sectarian discrimination among religious communities in Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2017Father Alexander: Two percent of Azerbaijan’s population is Christians
- 16.02.2017State Committee: Some people growing abnormally religious in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2017GoMap creates web map, database of mosques in Azerbaijan
- 01.02.2017British ambassador: Azerbaijan’s tolerant environment should be a model for other countries
- 27.01.2017749 religious communities registered in Azerbaijan
- 26.01.2017Azerbaijan announces Hajj fee
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijanis wishing to perform Hajj for second time to pay extra fee
- 10.01.2017Saudi Arabia preparing to receive 2.6 mln pilgrims
- 06.01.2017CMO chairman sends letter to Syrian mufti
- 27.12.2016Some mullahs involved in racketeering in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 27.12.2016No religious community of Salafis and Nursists registered in Azerbaijan
- 21.12.2016“Among other Muslim countries, Azerbaijan has least citizens joining ISIL”
- 19.12.2016Azerbaijani believers protest Hassan Rouhani’s scheduled visit to Armenia
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan reacts to Iranian company restoring mosque in Shusha
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 10.12.2016CMO chairman: Committing terror under guise of religion is nonsense
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijan to establish ‘Sheikh-ul-Islam’ prize for journalists
- 01.12.2016Baku hosts int’l conference on religion and multiculturalism
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Religious leaders play big part in restoration of peace in Caucasus
- 22.11.2016Resolved problems of 500 Azerbaijani pilgrims, stopped on the Iran-Iraq border - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Patriarch Kirill
- 02.11.2016Over 2,100 banned religious books seized in Azerbaijan since early 2016