Southern Gas Corridor key energy project in Europe: Snam CEO
Southern Gas Corridor project, which envisages transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Europe, is a key energy project in Europe, said CEO of Italy's Snam company Marco Alvera.
'A key energy project in Europe is the Southern Gas Corridor. There is opportunity to access different markets, he said during the conversation on future of gas in Europe and challenges.
He pointed out that domestic gas production is declining, so imports will need to rise.
The Southern Gas Corridor is one of the priority energy projects for the EU. It envisages the transportation of gas from the Caspian region to the European countries through Georgia and Turkey. The gas to be produced as part of the Stage 2 of development of Azerbaijan’s Shah Deniz field is considered as the main source for the Southern Gas Corridor projects. As part of the Stage 2 of the Shah Deniz development, the gas will be exported to Turkey and European markets by expanding the South Caucasus Pipeline and the construction of Trans Anatolian Natural Gas Pipeline and Trans Adriatic Pipeline.
First gas transportation to neighbour country within TANAP will start in 2018. The planned capacity of the pipeline would be 16 billion cubic metres of natural gas per year at initial stage and would be increased later up to 23 billion cubic metres by 2023, 31 billion cubic metres by 2026.
1,802 km-TANAP will be linked to TAP from 2020 and deliver natural gas that will receive via South Caucasus Pipeline to Europe through Greece, Albania and Italy.
The pipeline is expected to cost US$9.2 billion. Azerbaijan will spend $6.1 billion.
TANAP shareholders: SOCAR - 58%, Botas – 30% and BP – 12%.
TAP will transport natural gas from the giant Shah Deniz II field in Azerbaijan to Europe. The approximately 878 km long pipeline will connect with the Trans Anatolian Pipeline (TANAP) at the Turkish-Greek border at Kipoi, cross Greece and Albania and the Adriatic Sea, before coming ashore in Southern Italy.
TAP’s shareholding is comprised of BP (20%), Southern Gas Corridor (20%), Snam (20%), Fluxys (19%), Enagás (16%) and Axpo (5%).
The Leviathan gas field is a large natural gas field located in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Israel. The gas field, located roughly 130 kilometres west of Haifa in waters, was discovered in 2010. The potential reserve size is being estimated at 500-600 bcm.
Related news releases
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijan welcomes OPEC decision to increase oil output
- 22.06.2018OPEC agrees to boost oil production by 1 million b/d
- 22.06.2018Transportation of oil products through SOCAR’s Kulevi terminal in Georgia declines
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani oil price goes down
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan doubles revenues from export of oil products
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan gets 11% decline in natural gas export
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan increases crude oil export by 46%
- 20.06.2018Minister: Sharp decline in oil reserves should be considered in order not to face crisis in market
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani energy minister to participate in Vienna meeting of OPEC and non-OPEC countries
- 14.06.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by 1.2%
- 14.06.2018BTC transports more than 2.5 million tonnes of transit oil in five months
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan gets 1.6% rise in heating power production this year
- 14.06.2018SOCAR announces amount of revenues from foreign assets
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 19%
- 14.06.2018SOCAR’s net profit increased by nearly six fold in 2017
- 13.06.2018Construction of interconnector for transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Bulgaria may commence at year-end
- 13.06.2018Bulqarqaz: EU's support to project speaks for itself about how important the Southern Gas Corridor is
- 13.06.2018Deputy Minister: SGC to change world’s energy map
- 13.06.2018Bulgarian adviser: Shahdeniz 2 gas to meet 25-30% of Bulgaria’s gas consumption
- 12.06.2018Ukraine wants to receive gas from TANAP through Bulgaria, Romania – Poroshenko
- 12.06.2018Erdogan: TANAP opening is historical step for regional countries
- 12.06.2018President Aliyev: TANAP is victory of Azerbaijan-Turkey brotherhood
- 12.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Southern Gas Corridor is new format of cooperation in Eurasia
- 12.06.2018TANAP opening ceremony kicks off in Turkey
- 12.06.2018SOCAR’s authorized capital to be sharply increased
- 11.06.2018SOCAR President: Azerbaijan has no problem on financing of SGC
- 11.06.2018Minister: TAP is the first large-scale energy project in Albania
- 11.06.2018TANAP to be inaugurated tomorrow
- 08.06.2018OPEC announces volume of proven gas reserves of Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2018OPEC: Azerbaijan has 7bln barrels of confirmed oil resources
- 06.06.2018Oil prices go up
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijani president attends opening of Dalimammadli substation
- 05.06.2018Dutch court seizes Gazprom's assets to award $2.6bln to Naftogaz
- 04.06.2018Petkim: One more oil refinery may be constructed in Turkey
- 04.06.2018SOCAR decreases crude oil export through Novorossiysk port
- 01.06.2018Azerbaijan starts electricity export to Iran from today
- 31.05.2018SOCAR Vice President: Many countries will benefit from SGC
- 31.05.2018Khoshbakht Yusifzade: More than 258 million tonnes of AGC oil sent to world markets this year
- 30.05.2018SOCAR: No discrimination should be allowed for expansion of SGC
- 30.05.2018Turkish Petroleum: Turkey, Azerbaijan intend to extend cooperation agreement on energy security
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan increases gas export to Turkey by 4%
- 02.10.2017SOCAR announces sale price of crude oil for last month
- 02.10.2017SOCAR sharply increases crude oil export through Novorossiysk port
- 27.09.2017Lukoil caused $4 billion worth of damage to Palmali - Mansimov
- 26.09.2017SOCAR President: Our projects to bring billions of incomes to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Oil hits highest since July 2015; producers say market rebalancing