Oil snaps rally; stocks, dollar steady after Fed minutes
Oil prices fell sharply on Wednesday after their longest rally in more than five years while the dollar was higher and Treasury yields were near recent peaks after minutes from the U.S. Federal Reserve's last meeting showed contrasting opinions, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Tumbling oil prices put pressure on the energy sector, which limited gains for Wall Street's S&P 500 benchmark.
Federal Reserve policymakers were split on the outlook for inflation and how it might affect the future pace of interest rate rises, according to the minutes of the Fed's June policy meeting released on Wednesday.
Investors had hoped for insight on the central bank's plans for interest rate hikes or possible balance sheet reduction.
"I see a murky, opaque message," Stephen Massocca, senior vice president at Wedbush Securities in San Francisco, said of the Fed minutes.
Trading was also affected on Wednesday by lighter participation the day after the U.S. July 4 Independence Day holiday and ahead of the U.S. jobs report due on Friday.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 1.58 points, or 0.01 percent, to 21,477.69, the S&P 500 gained 3.11 points, or 0.13 percent, to 2,432.12 and the Nasdaq Composite added 36.37 points, or 0.6 percent, to 6,146.43.
U.S. Treasury yields were near multi-week or multi-month peaks after the minutes.
While he described the Fed headlines as dovish, Aaron Kohli, interest rate strategist at BMO Capital Markets in New York, said the details in the minutes were hawkish.
Benchmark 10-year Treasury notes last rose 6/32 in price to yield 2.3267 percent, from 2.346 percent.
Analysts said yields remained near their recent highs due to the possibility that Friday's U.S. non-farm payrolls report would show a jump in jobs growth in June, which would also push yields higher.
The dollar edged up against a basket of currencies and was last up 0.1 percent. It briefly pared gains after the Fed minutes.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Sale of Azerbaijani gas in Georgia extends 7 times
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan decreases diesel production by 18% last year
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan sees 5.5% decline in oil production, 3% in gas production
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan's main gas pipelines transport more than 22 bcm of gas in 2017
- 17.01.2018BTC transports 6.4 million tonnes of transit oil last year
- 17.01.2018Georgia increases energy import from Azerbaijan by 8.4-fold
- 17.01.2018President Aliyev attends opening of Baku distribution network’s building
- 16.01.2018Anglo Asian Mining earns $55M from sale of gold
- 16.01.2018SOCAR sees nearly 3% decline in gas production in 2017
- 16.01.2018SOCAR reduces oil output about 6% last year
- 15.01.2018Georgia imports nearly 200,000 tonnes of oil products from Azerbaijan last year
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan sees decline in revenues from export of oil products
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan increases revenues from gas export by 23 percent
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan sees 30% growth in revenues from crude oil export
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan increases revenues from energy export
- 12.01.2018Companies to place Petkim’s AZN 500 mln bonds abroad named
- 12.01.2018Fitch: Petkim to save USD70 million annually on STAR’s descent
- 11.01.2018Date set for 4th Southern Gas Corridor Advisory Council meeting in Baku
- 10.01.2018Basic metals production for TAP increased
- 10.01.2018Brent oil price above $69/bbl first since May 6, 2015
- 09.01.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 09.01.2018TAP: Talks with EIB on funding for TAP are ongoing
- 08.01.2018Azerbaijan meets nearly 30% of Georgia’s demand for fuel
- 04.01.2018Gazprom increases gas production by 12.4%
- 04.01.2018OPEC holds production steady
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijan announces volume of oil and gas reserves
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijan reduces gas export to Turkey
- 25.12.2017Excise on gasoline imported to Azerbaijan with octane number up to 95 increased 200 times
- 23.12.2017SOCAR: Azerbaijan has large gas reserves to supply pipelines
- 22.12.2017Energy Regulatory Agency established in Azerbaijan
- 22.12.2017President issues order on additional measures on use of alternative and renewable energy sources
- 22.12.2017$11.5B directed to SGC so far
- 22.12.2017ADB arranges $524.5 million syndicated loan for SGC
- 20.12.2017SOCAR sees 3% decline in gas production
- 20.12.2017SOCAR reduces oil output by 2% this year
- 20.12.2017Turkey intends to increase import of oil and gas from Azerbaijan and Iran
- 19.12.2017TAP construction to be temporarily suspended
- 19.12.2017SOCAR buys two companies in Austria
- 19.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan is a strategic energy supplier
- 19.12.2017Azerbaijan plays great role in energy security of Czech Republic - embassy
- 06.07.2017Oil slides as OPEC exports rise, prices end eight days of gains
- 06.07.2017Oil to rally 20% before year’s end: UBS analyst
- 06.07.2017Kakha Kaladze: Shahdeniz 2 will allow Georgia to purchase additional gas
- 05.07.2017Representatives of Saudi Arabia’s giant petrochemical corporation to visit Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported via BTC pipeline announced
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported through Ceyhan port so far announced