Oil snaps rally; stocks, dollar steady after Fed minutes
Oil prices fell sharply on Wednesday after their longest rally in more than five years while the dollar was higher and Treasury yields were near recent peaks after minutes from the U.S. Federal Reserve's last meeting showed contrasting opinions, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Tumbling oil prices put pressure on the energy sector, which limited gains for Wall Street's S&P 500 benchmark.
Federal Reserve policymakers were split on the outlook for inflation and how it might affect the future pace of interest rate rises, according to the minutes of the Fed's June policy meeting released on Wednesday.
Investors had hoped for insight on the central bank's plans for interest rate hikes or possible balance sheet reduction.
"I see a murky, opaque message," Stephen Massocca, senior vice president at Wedbush Securities in San Francisco, said of the Fed minutes.
Trading was also affected on Wednesday by lighter participation the day after the U.S. July 4 Independence Day holiday and ahead of the U.S. jobs report due on Friday.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 1.58 points, or 0.01 percent, to 21,477.69, the S&P 500 gained 3.11 points, or 0.13 percent, to 2,432.12 and the Nasdaq Composite added 36.37 points, or 0.6 percent, to 6,146.43.
U.S. Treasury yields were near multi-week or multi-month peaks after the minutes.
While he described the Fed headlines as dovish, Aaron Kohli, interest rate strategist at BMO Capital Markets in New York, said the details in the minutes were hawkish.
Benchmark 10-year Treasury notes last rose 6/32 in price to yield 2.3267 percent, from 2.346 percent.
Analysts said yields remained near their recent highs due to the possibility that Friday's U.S. non-farm payrolls report would show a jump in jobs growth in June, which would also push yields higher.
The dollar edged up against a basket of currencies and was last up 0.1 percent. It briefly pared gains after the Fed minutes.
Related news releases
- 27.07.2017Oil jumps to near eight-week high after big draw in U.S. crude stocks
- 25.07.2017Azerbaijan increases gas export to Turkey
- 25.07.2017BP: TANAP is significant project for us
- 25.07.2017Anglo Asian Mining earns $19.4M from sale of gold
- 25.07.2017Oil extends gains as Saudi pledges export curbs
- 24.07.2017Country manager: TAP construction won’t have negative impact on environment
- 22.07.2017Oil dives 2 percent; consultant sees OPEC crude output rise in July
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev opens Pirallahi solar power plant
- 20.07.2017Rovnag Abdullayev: 90% works copmleted in STAR refinery
- 20.07.2017SOCAR President: $8.5B invested in TANAP so far
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan’s investments in Turkey to reach $20B
- 20.07.2017Oil jumps to six-week high on surprisingly big U.S. inventory draws
- 18.07.2017Ischinger: Sanctions against Russia pose threat on European energy security
- 18.07.2017Import of certain types of gasoline to Azerbaijan exempted from duties
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijani President: "The Southern Gas Corridor is probably the largest infrastructure project in Europe"
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan increases gas transportation 10% this year
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan sees 8% rise in gasoline production
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan sees 3.2-fold increase in gold production
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan investing billions of dollars for realization of SGC soon – president
- 17.07.2017Israel to join TANAP
- 15.07.2017S&P: SOCAR plays critical role in Azerbaijan’s economy
- 15.07.2017SOCAR to attend tender for construction of underground gas storage facility in Georgia
- 15.07.2017Price of gasoline Aİ-92 increased in Azerbaijan - OFFICIAL
- 14.07.2017EBRD to allocate $39M for Tamiz Shahar
- 14.07.2017SOCAR gets 7% decline in gas production
- 14.07.2017SOCAR reduces oil output by 2%
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan gets 9% decline in oil production
- 13.07.2017Oil rises as U.S. crude stocks drop by more than expected
- 11.07.2017Iran to spend $140B for increase of oil and gas output
- 11.07.2017IEA Executive Director: Oil producers’ efforts result in failure - INTERVIEW
- 10.07.2017Oil rises slightly, but growing global supply a worry
- 10.07.2017WPC President: Azerbaijan is sensitive about its investments and natural gas export
- 10.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Turkey-Azerbaijan friendship brings stability to the region
- 10.07.2017President: Shahdeniz 2 will be completed soon
- 10.07.2017Erdogan: Southern Gas Corridor is priority for Turkey
- 10.07.2017PM: Turkey, Georgia and Azerbaijan demonstrated significance of regional cooperation
- 10.07.2017Saudi Aramco to invest $300B to oil production
- 10.07.2017SOCAR increases transfers to state budget adn SSPF
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijan quadruples revenues from energy export
- 10.07.2017Secretary of State: US intends to cooperate with Turkey on SGC
- 06.07.2017Oil slides as OPEC exports rise, prices end eight days of gains
- 06.07.2017Oil to rally 20% before year’s end: UBS analyst
- 06.07.2017Kakha Kaladze: Shahdeniz 2 will allow Georgia to purchase additional gas
- 05.07.2017Representatives of Saudi Arabia’s giant petrochemical corporation to visit Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported via BTC pipeline announced
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported through Ceyhan port so far announced