Oil snaps rally; stocks, dollar steady after Fed minutes
Oil prices fell sharply on Wednesday after their longest rally in more than five years while the dollar was higher and Treasury yields were near recent peaks after minutes from the U.S. Federal Reserve's last meeting showed contrasting opinions, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Tumbling oil prices put pressure on the energy sector, which limited gains for Wall Street's S&P 500 benchmark.
Federal Reserve policymakers were split on the outlook for inflation and how it might affect the future pace of interest rate rises, according to the minutes of the Fed's June policy meeting released on Wednesday.
Investors had hoped for insight on the central bank's plans for interest rate hikes or possible balance sheet reduction.
"I see a murky, opaque message," Stephen Massocca, senior vice president at Wedbush Securities in San Francisco, said of the Fed minutes.
Trading was also affected on Wednesday by lighter participation the day after the U.S. July 4 Independence Day holiday and ahead of the U.S. jobs report due on Friday.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 1.58 points, or 0.01 percent, to 21,477.69, the S&P 500 gained 3.11 points, or 0.13 percent, to 2,432.12 and the Nasdaq Composite added 36.37 points, or 0.6 percent, to 6,146.43.
U.S. Treasury yields were near multi-week or multi-month peaks after the minutes.
While he described the Fed headlines as dovish, Aaron Kohli, interest rate strategist at BMO Capital Markets in New York, said the details in the minutes were hawkish.
Benchmark 10-year Treasury notes last rose 6/32 in price to yield 2.3267 percent, from 2.346 percent.
Analysts said yields remained near their recent highs due to the possibility that Friday's U.S. non-farm payrolls report would show a jump in jobs growth in June, which would also push yields higher.
The dollar edged up against a basket of currencies and was last up 0.1 percent. It briefly pared gains after the Fed minutes.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017Shah Deniz-2 is making good progress towards full completion on schedule and below the planned budget - BP
- 21.09.2017Vice President: Favorable oil price for SOCAR is $60-65, but we take into account realities in our strategy
- 21.09.2017SOCAR sells 1.4 million tonnes of gasoline, 1.2 million tonnes of diesel in Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017$42.7B to be invested in ACG
- 20.09.2017AZN 16B transferred to SOCAR’s accounts in authorized banks
- 20.09.2017SOCAR imports 1.1 bcm of gas this year
- 20.09.2017SOCAR announces base price of crude oil and gas
- 20.09.2017Volume of oil and condensate extracted from Shahdeniz so far announced
- 20.09.2017BTC transported nearly 340 million tonnes of Azerbaijani oil so far
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan oil output to reach 2 billion tonnes
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some oil workers
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan gets decline in solar power production
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan triples gold production
- 18.09.2017Gas processing plant processes 1.7 bcm of gas this year
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan sees 18.5% decline in diesel production
- 15.09.2017SOCAR reduces oil output by 9%
- 14.09.2017SOCAR, Statoil discuss development of "Karabakh" oilfield and "Ashrafi" and "Dan Ulduzu" structures
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Statoil Executive Vice President - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with UK Minister of State
- 14.09.2017Ambassador: US is pleased to continue cooperation with Azerbaijan within extension of agreement on ACG development
- 14.09.2017UK PM: I’m sure the new contract will further develop our coop with Azerbaijan
- 14.09.2017Turkish presidents sends message to participants of signing ceremony of new ACG contract
- 14.09.2017Georgian PM: Signing of new ACG contract ‘a historic event’
- 14.09.2017BP: Over $40B to be invested in ACG development
- 14.09.2017Turkey says will continue to be important partner of Azerbaijan
- 14.09.2017New ACG participating interests announced
- 14.09.2017President: We established very profitable cooperation with BP during 23 years
- 14.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan lives at its own expense
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani goverment and co-venturers sign amended and restated Azeri-Chirag-Deepwater Guneshli PSA
- 14.09.2017President: Azerbaijan’s currency reserves will increase more
- 14.09.2017President: New contract on ACG development is signed with more favorable and better conditions for Azerbaijan
- 14.09.2017Ceremony being held for signing a new contract on development of ACG field by 2050
- 13.09.2017IGB to sign agreement with Azerbaijan in early 2018 - OFFICIAL
- 13.09.2017Non-OPEC countries fulfill agreement by 118% thanks to Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Oil up on OPEC output decline; U.S. refinery restarts
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan gets 41% decline in export of oil products
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan gets 22% rise in revenues from natural gas export
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan gets 22% decline in revenues from crude oil export
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan quadruples revenues from energy export
- 12.09.2017Oil prices dip as traders assess U.S. hurricane impact
- 06.07.2017Oil slides as OPEC exports rise, prices end eight days of gains
- 06.07.2017Oil to rally 20% before year’s end: UBS analyst
- 06.07.2017Kakha Kaladze: Shahdeniz 2 will allow Georgia to purchase additional gas
- 05.07.2017Representatives of Saudi Arabia’s giant petrochemical corporation to visit Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported via BTC pipeline announced
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported through Ceyhan port so far announced