ENOC continues to supply crude oil to Iran despite sanctions
The companies Dragon Oil and ENOC shipped the next crude oil cargo to Iran, APA-Econmics reports citing to foreign media.
This is the second voyage of the Russian flag vessel VF Tanker-20 during this month to the Iranian port of Neka for discharge of Turkmen origin crude oil.
At the end of July, the same vessel VF Tanker-20, carried crude oil produced by Dragon Oil, arrived on roads of Baku port, Azerbaijan. However, after one week delay, caused by detection of some undeclared cargo on board, suddenly rushed to Iranian port of Neka and discharged crude oil to the terminal, operated by the National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC).
On August 7, VF Tanker-20 loaded a new cargo of crude oil in Aladja port, Turkmenistan, and moved towards direction of Baku, Azerbaijan. However, soon after exiting the territorial waters of Turkmenistan, the ship turned to the south and later arrived to Neka port in Iran.
It seems that this maneuver is linked to the fact, that Dragon Oil and ENOC, most likely, didn’t obtain necessary permissions from Turkmenistan Government authorities (State Customs Services and others), allowing Turkmen crude oil supply to Iran, and, therefore, issued cargo and custom documents, showing port of discharge Baku, Azerbaijan for further transit delivery to Europe.
It is not excluded, that Dragon Oil will not be able to obtain such permission at all, due to the serious worsening of relations between Turkmenistan and Iran after a dispute over payment for Turkmen natural gas delivered to Iran and intention of Iranian side to sue Turkmenistan in international arbitration courts.
Moreover, such movements of the ship may be explained, as the attempts of Dragon Oil and ENOC to hide the true destination of crude oil delivery – Iran, and, therefore, to avoid being included into the list of companies, violating US sanctions against Iran.
We recall, that NIOC (National Iranian Oil Company), NICO (trading structure of NIOC) and their related entities in various countries are included in the US sanctions list.
At the moment, Dragon Oil and ENOC are loading the third crude oil cargo aboard vessel VF Tanker-13 (belong to the same shipping company VF Tanker from Russia). Whether this vessel will go to Iran again, bypassing US sanctions and customs regulation of Turkmenistan, remains under question.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018OPEC Secretary General: We’ll ensure all countries fulfil obligations in 2018
- 19.03.2018OPEC Secretary General: Azerbaijan has significant role in agreement reached by OPEC and non-OPEC members
- 19.03.2018Creation of platforms on ‘OPEC+’ initiative discussed in Baku
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% decline in electricity production this year
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia by nearly 5%
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan decreases export of oil products to Georgia by 17%
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan increases energy export to Georgia by 26%
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan gets growth in oil production, decline in gas production
- 16.03.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by over 4%
- 16.03.2018BTC transports more than 1 million tonnes of transit oil in two months
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 7.5-fold
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan increases diesel production
- 16.03.2018EIB approves 932 mln euro loan for TANAP gas pipeline
- 15.03.2018Fitch: SGC's carries strategic importance for Azerbaijan's long-term macroeconomic stability
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan submits letter on joining International Energy Charter
- 15.03.2018Minister: Measures should continue to keep oil prices stable
- 15.03.2018Georgia increases energy import from Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Shahin Mustafayev: Azerbaijan intends to cooperate with Iran in oil and gas production
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 12.03.2018Georgia decreases import of oil products from Azerbaijan in February
- 10.03.2018Oil prices rise nearly $2 amid broad market optimism
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan’s economy minister to visit Iran
- 07.03.2018SOCAR: Negotiations on financing of SGC started with German companies and banks
- 06.03.2018Oil prices rise on forecasts for growing demand, OPEC concerns
- 03.03.2018Oil up but set for weekly drop as tariff plan, U.S. output weigh
- 02.03.2018Extractive Industries Transparency Commission holds meeting
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan increases electric energy production in February
- 01.03.2018Oil extends declines on U.S. inventory build
- 28.02.2018BP Regional President: Azerbaijan is of ‘key importance’ among over 70 countries where BP operates
- 28.02.2018SOCAR Turkey Energy, BP sign licence agreement
- 27.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Automated Control and Monitoring Center of Mingachevir Electric Power Distribution Network
- 27.02.2018Capacity of Mingechevir Hydro Power Plant increased to 424 megawatt
- 27.02.2018U.S. oil extends gains to hold near three-week high
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan doubles export of oil products to Georgia
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia more than 1%
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases energy export to Georgia by 11%
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan exports more than 9,000 tonnes of fuel to Georgia last month
- 16.02.2018SGC Advisory Council provides political support to Shahdeniz 2 - DECLARATION
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan earned $125B from ACG fields block so far
- 16.02.2018TANAP to transport 2 bcm of gas this year
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijan reduces crude oil export 40%
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijan’s revenues from natural gas export increase sixfold
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijan’s revenues from energy export increase 3.4-fold
- 08.08.2017New US sanctions on Russia increase uncertainty on European gas markets - S&P
- 08.08.2017Turkmen President to discuss natural gas transportation in Baku
- 07.08.2017ENOC sends oil to Iran despite US sanctions