ENOC continues to supply crude oil to Iran despite sanctions
The companies Dragon Oil and ENOC shipped the next crude oil cargo to Iran, APA-Econmics reports citing to foreign media.
This is the second voyage of the Russian flag vessel VF Tanker-20 during this month to the Iranian port of Neka for discharge of Turkmen origin crude oil.
At the end of July, the same vessel VF Tanker-20, carried crude oil produced by Dragon Oil, arrived on roads of Baku port, Azerbaijan. However, after one week delay, caused by detection of some undeclared cargo on board, suddenly rushed to Iranian port of Neka and discharged crude oil to the terminal, operated by the National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC).
On August 7, VF Tanker-20 loaded a new cargo of crude oil in Aladja port, Turkmenistan, and moved towards direction of Baku, Azerbaijan. However, soon after exiting the territorial waters of Turkmenistan, the ship turned to the south and later arrived to Neka port in Iran.
It seems that this maneuver is linked to the fact, that Dragon Oil and ENOC, most likely, didn’t obtain necessary permissions from Turkmenistan Government authorities (State Customs Services and others), allowing Turkmen crude oil supply to Iran, and, therefore, issued cargo and custom documents, showing port of discharge Baku, Azerbaijan for further transit delivery to Europe.
It is not excluded, that Dragon Oil will not be able to obtain such permission at all, due to the serious worsening of relations between Turkmenistan and Iran after a dispute over payment for Turkmen natural gas delivered to Iran and intention of Iranian side to sue Turkmenistan in international arbitration courts.
Moreover, such movements of the ship may be explained, as the attempts of Dragon Oil and ENOC to hide the true destination of crude oil delivery – Iran, and, therefore, to avoid being included into the list of companies, violating US sanctions against Iran.
We recall, that NIOC (National Iranian Oil Company), NICO (trading structure of NIOC) and their related entities in various countries are included in the US sanctions list.
At the moment, Dragon Oil and ENOC are loading the third crude oil cargo aboard vessel VF Tanker-13 (belong to the same shipping company VF Tanker from Russia). Whether this vessel will go to Iran again, bypassing US sanctions and customs regulation of Turkmenistan, remains under question.
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017EBRD approves loan for TANAP
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan gets 43% decline in export of oil products
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan gets rise in revenues from natural gas export
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan gets 20% decline in revenues from crude oil export
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan triples energy export
- 20.10.2017Minister: Output cut justifies itself, oil market found balance
- 19.10.2017Extractive Industries Transparency Commission held meeting
- 17.10.2017TAP to invest 800 million euros in Albania
- 17.10.2017Italy’s Edison to purchase Azerbaijani gas
- 16.10.2017TAP pipe deliveries complete
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan gets 2.5% decline in heating power production
- 16.10.2017SOCAR transfers AZN 1B to state budget
- 14.10.2017Oil rallies nearly 2 percent on China import boost, U.S.-Iran tensions
- 13.10.2017Executive body on ensuring transparency in extractive industry changed in Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan increases oil transportation via main pipelines
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan gets 8% decline in natural gas production
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan increases gasoline production 5%, reduces diesel production 21%
- 13.10.2017President: Azerbaijani gas will play a major role in solution of issues of Bulgaria's energy security
- 12.10.2017Parviz Shahbazov appointed Azerbaijan’s new energy minister
- 12.10.2017Azerbaijan sees 5% decline in gas production
- 12.10.2017Azerbaijan sees 8% decline in oil output
- 12.10.2017SOCAR to export 1.5 million tonnes of oil via Baku-Novorossiysk pipeline next year
- 12.10.2017Expenditures of STAR Refinery in Turkey increase
- 12.10.2017Azerbaijan may export diesel to Iran
- 12.10.2017Turkmenistan to resume oil transportation via BTC, Kazakhstan holding negotiations
- 12.10.2017BP announces its investments in ACG and Shahdeniz
- 12.10.2017BP Regional President names factors to turn Azerbaijan into a regional energy hub
- 12.10.2017SOCAR Trading to supply liquid gas to Malta
- 12.10.2017SOCAR: ACG currently has more than 550 million tonnes of oil
- 12.10.2017Baku hosting international petroleum summit
- 10.10.2017Board of Directors highly evaluates Nobel Oil Services’ performance
- 09.10.2017Ancient tombs unearthed during TANAP construction
- 06.10.2017Minister: TANAP to be completed earlier than planned
- 06.10.2017Gazprom agrees to open office in Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017President gives SOCAR instruction to provide gasifying of Lahij settlement
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan reduces gas production nearly 17%
- 05.10.2017SOCAR reduces gas production nearly 6%
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan reduces oil production by 9%
- 05.10.2017SOCAR reduces oil production by 1.5%
- 05.10.2017Georgia increases fuel import from Azerbaijan
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijan reduces crude oil export 40%
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijan’s revenues from natural gas export increase sixfold
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijan’s revenues from energy export increase 3.4-fold
- 08.08.2017New US sanctions on Russia increase uncertainty on European gas markets - S&P
- 08.08.2017Turkmen President to discuss natural gas transportation in Baku
- 07.08.2017ENOC sends oil to Iran despite US sanctions