Winter storm hits France with strong gusts, heavy rain
At least one person is dead and 11 people were wounded Wednesday by a powerful storm buffeting France with violent winds of up to 160 kilometers an hour (99 miles per hour), leaving thousands of households without power and throwing transportation into chaos, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Storm Eleanor’s sole reported casualty to date died due to a tree falling at a resort in the French Alps, according to French broadcaster BFMTV.
According to the Interior Ministry, the seriously injured include a man who fell off his roof, a woman who was hit by a block of cement, and a motorcyclist who crashed into a tree.
The national weather agency has extended its top-level Orange alert for winds of up to 200 km/h (124 mph) and high waves to 51 departments as the storm continues.
The French aviation authority said air traffic has been suspended at Strasbourg and Basel-Mulhouse, both in eastern France, due to fierce winds.
Paris's Charles de Gaulle airport said 60 percent of outbound flights have been delayed.
The Eiffel Tower was also closed on Wednesday morning with gusts reaching 140 km/h (87 mph) at the top of the Iron Lady.
Several ski resorts were closed due to the risks posed by the storms, with warnings of a very high danger of avalanches.
France's national electricity provider EDF said some 200,000 households are without electricity across the country, including 30,000 in the Paris region.
The latest weather warning and strong winds come after winter Storm Carmen battered western France on Jan. 1, with some 40,000 households in the Brittany region temporarily losing power on Monday.
Related news releases
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 13.04.2018Sweden submits new draft resolution on Syria to UN Security Council
- 12.04.2018Turkish, Greek PMs discuss jet fighter crash
- 12.04.2018Macron claims to have proof of chemical weapons use by Syrian government
- 12.04.2018Salisbury attack: Chemical weapons watchdog confirms UK findings on nerve agent
- 12.04.2018Erdogan, Trump discuss Syria in phone call
- 11.04.2018Fighter jet accidentally bombs working factory in France
- 11.04.2018Theresa May indicates willingness for military action against Syria
- 11.04.2018Give Saudi Arabia a chance, French president tells critics
- 11.04.2018Amid Syria tensions, Russian jet flies low over French warship
- 04.01.2018Thieves steal sheikh's Indian jewels from display in Venice
- 04.01.2018Turkey sees EU membership as 'strategic aim'
- 05.01.2018Mikheil Saakashvili sentenced to 3 years in jail in absentia
- 03.01.2018Eiffel Tower closed to visitors over Storm Eleanor
- 03.01.2018Moldova’s speaker to sign decrees on ministers’ appointments instead of president
- 02.01.2018Sweden defies US, NATO threats on UN nuclear ban treaty