Suspect in St Petersburg blast has psychiatric record - source
A suspect in the blast at a store in St. Petersburg has allegedly had a psychiatric record, a source with law enforcement agencies told TASS on Saturday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"According to preliminary information, the suspect has been on file with a psychiatric clinic and led an anti-social life," he said adding the suspect lived in the city’s Krasnoselsky district.
Earlier in the day, Russia’s FSB Federal Security Service said that the suspect in the blast at the Perekrestok supermarket in St. Petersburg had been detained and handed over to the Russian Investigative Committee.
Spokeswoman for the Investigative Committee Svetlana Petrenko said that investigators had begun questioning the suspect. The investigation will petition the court for his arrest, according to her.
On December 27, a homemade explosive device packed with lethal components was detonated near self-lockers of the Perekrestok supermarket on the first floor of the Gigant-Hall entertainment center in St. Petersburg’s Kondratyevsky Avenue. The bomb produced a blast equivalent to 200g of TNT. Eighteen people are reported to be injured in the blast. The Investigative Committee defined the explosion as an attempted murder against two and more persons.
Russia’s President Vladimir Putin described the blast as a terrorist act.
Related news releases
- 19.04.2018Journalist gets beaten during mass protest in Armenia
- 18.04.2018Opposition march toward Republic Square
- 17.04.2018The Armenian opposition announced the creation of a committee of "velvet revolution"
- 17.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan elected Armenia’s PM
- 17.04.2018FSB exposes IS cell plotting terrorist attacks in Russia
- 16.04.2018Armenian opposition leader urges to block parliament building
- 16.04.201822 injured after demonstrators clash with police in Yerevan
- 16.04.2018Armenia’s Republican Party formally nominates Sargsyan’s candidacy as next PM
- 16.04.2018Armenians protest Sargsyan's appointment as PM
- 15.04.2018Kazakhstan warns of further military de-escalation in Syria
- 14.04.2018Opposition-led protesters break into building of Armenian public radio
- 14.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan nominated for Armenia’s PM
- 14.04.2018Syrian downs 71 out of 103 US coalition cruise missiles: Russian military
- 14.04.2018Putin: Operation launched by US and allies is aggression against sovereign state
- 14.04.2018Russian Defence Ministry: Over 100 missiles fired at Syria
- 14.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry: "You shelled Syria's capital at the moment when it had gained a chance of a peaceful future"
- 13.04.2018Three wounded in landmine explosion in Armenia
- 13.04.2018Russia calls for emergency UN Security Council meeting
- 12.04.2018Russia asks US to solve problems at 'negotiating table'
- 12.04.2018Russia resumes flights to Egypt
- 11.04.2018Putin expects common sense to prevail amid global tensions
- 11.04.2018Putin's inauguration scheduled for 7 May
- 11.04.2018Moscow to Trump: Are ‘smart’ missiles an attempt to destroy alleged chem attack evidence in Syria?
- 11.04.2018Helicopter Crashes in Russian City of Khabarovsk
- 09.04.2018Russia’s Lavrov calls on Turkey to return Afrin to Damascus control
- 09.04.2018Kazakh TV presenter dies as her leg gets stuck in elevator door
- 09.04.2018Presidential inauguration held in Armenia
- 08.04.2018Russian Aerospace Forces to get three S-400 regimental sets this year — Defense Ministry
- 06.04.2018Russia appoints new ambassador to Armenia
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani President: "Our personal relations with Vladimir Putin are one of the major factors for successful bilateral relations"
- 04.04.2018Russian foreign intelligence chief says Washington’s system of vassalage has failed
- 04.04.2018Patrushev: Some countries claim to act as global prosecutors and judges all in one
- 03.04.2018NATO will not issue visa to new Russian diplomats
- 03.04.2018Russian CEC head presents presidential certificate to Putin
- 02.04.2018Moscow to accelerate delivery of S-400 system to Turkey
- 02.04.2018Russia’s Caspian Flotilla to relocate headquarter to Dagestan
- 29.03.2018Russian Aerospace force launches Soyuz-2.1V rocket
- 29.03.2018Russia to close US consulate in St. Petersburg, expel 60 diplomats – Lavrov
- 29.03.2018Crime kingpin nicknamed “Shakro Molodoy” jailed for nearly 10 years
- 27.03.2018Forty-one children reported killed in Kemerovo shopping center blaze
- 31.12.20172 injured as unknown man opened fire near Red Square in Moscow
- 03.01.2018Russian military helicopter crashes in Syria, killing two
- 04.01.2018Hrymchak claims gas pipeline from Ukraine to Europe planned to be blown up in 2014-2015
- 30.12.2017St Petersburg supermarket blast suspect detained - FSB
- 30.12.2017Russia, Uzbekistan sign nuclear energy deal
- 29.12.2017Three injured after bus plows into public transport stop in Moscow - UPDATED