Today is the anniversary of the signing of the Tripartite Statement by the President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev, the President of Russia Vladimir Putin, and the Prime Minister of Armenia Nikol Pashinyan, APA reports.
On September 27, 2020, in response to the next military aggression of Armenia, the people of Azerbaijan launched the Patriotic War under the leadership of President, and Supreme Commander-in-Chief Ilham Aliyev to liberate the occupied territories.
As a result of 44 days of military operations, the Victorious Azerbaijani Army liberated the Sugovushan settlement of Tartar region on October 3, Jabrayil city on October 4, Hadrut settlement of Khojavend region on October 9, Fuzuli city on October 17, Zangilan city on October 20, the city of Gubadli on October 25 and Shusha on November 8, and liberated more than 300 settlements, as well as important strategic heights in the direction of Aghdara, Murovdagh, and Zangilan.
Armenia conceded defeat with the liberation of Shusha on November 8.
President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev, President of Russia Vladimir Putin, and Prime Minister of Armenia Nikol Pashinyan signed a statement on November 10.
The statement reads: "We, President of the Republic of Azerbaijan I. H. Aliyev, Prime Minister of the Republic of Armenia N. V. Pashinyan, and President of the Russian Federation V. V. Putin, declare the following:
1. A complete ceasefire and a cessation of all hostilities in the zone of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict shall be introduced at 00:00 hours Moscow time on 10 November 2020. The Republic of Azerbaijan and the Republic of Armenia, hereinafter referred to as the Parties, shall stop at their current positions.
2. Aghdam district shall be returned to the Republic of Azerbaijan by 20 November 2020.
3. Along the contact line in Nagorno-Karabakh and along the Lachin corridor, a peacekeeping contingent of the Russian Federation shall be deployed in the amount of 1,960 military personnel with small arms, 90 armored personnel carriers, and 380 units of automobile and special equipment.
4. The peacekeeping contingent of the Russian Federation shall be deployed in parallel with the withdrawal of the Armenian armed forces. The period of stay of the peacekeeping contingent of the Russian Federation is 5 years and shall be automatically extended by a further five-year period if none of the Parties declares six months prior to the expiration of the period of its intention to terminate the application of this provision.
5. In order to increase the effectiveness of control over the implementation of the agreements by the Parties to the conflict, a peacekeeping center shall be deployed to exercise control over the ceasefire.
6. The Republic of Armenia shall return Kalbajar district to the Republic of Azerbaijan by 15 November 2020 and Lachin district by 1 December 2020. The Lachin corridor (5km wide), which shall provide a connection between Nagorno-Karabakh with Armenia and shall not affect the city of Shusha, shall remain under the control of the Russian Federation’s peacekeeping contingent.
By agreement of the Parties, a plan for the construction of a new route along the Lachin corridor shall be determined in the next three years, providing communication between Karabakh and Armenia, with the subsequent redeployment of the Russian peacekeeping contingent to protect this route.
The Republic of Azerbaijan shall guarantee the safety of citizens, vehicles, and goods traveling along the Lachin corridor in both directions.
7. Internally displaced persons and refugees shall return to the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh and adjacent districts under the control of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.
8. The exchange of prisoners of war and other detainees and bodies of the dead shall be carried out.
9. All economic and transport links in the region shall be restored. The Republic of Armenia guarantees the safety of transport links between the western regions of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic in order to organize an unimpeded movement of citizens, vehicles, and goods in both directions. Control over transport shall be exercised by the bodies of the Border Guard Service of the Federal Security Service (FSB) of Russia."
Following the signing of the Tripartite Statement, the President of Azerbaijan addressed the nation. In his address, the President noted the historical significance of the tripartite statement: "
“An end is being put to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict today. I think that the trilateral statement that has just been signed will put a full stop in resolving the issue”.
The President noted that this statement is our glorious victory: “I am glad to be sharing this good news with the people of Azerbaijan today.
The Azerbaijani leader said that the military phase is over: “The military phase is over, and we are moving on to the political stage. We have signed a document that favors our interests the most. Pashinyan has signed it. There was no other option. In essence, this is an admission of defeat. This is a military capitulation”.
President Ilham Aliyev also stressed the important role of the unity of the Azerbaijani people in achieving victory: “These days we saw the unity of the Azerbaijani people. Our army received support from all our regions. ...We were further convinced of how wonderful our country and our people are. Representatives of all nationalities and all religious denominations living in our country showed courage in fighting the enemy and restoring Azerbaijan's territorial integrity. This is our great asset, a great value. I have said this many times. Armenia is deprived of such happiness because it is a mono-ethnic state; no one lives there except for the Armenians. In Eurasia, there is no other country like this in our region because no one can live there. They are expelled, subjected to ethnic cleansing like the Azerbaijanis, or representatives of different nationalities cannot live there. They are being squeezed out, out, and out. But our advantage lies precisely in this. A multinational and multi-confessional Azerbaijan has asserted itself in this war; representatives of all peoples have displayed true unity and heroism. I want to say again that this war clarified many issues yet again”.
The head of state also touched upon the status of Nagorno-Karabakh: “I would like to mention one more issue. You probably noticed that this statement contains not a single word about the status of Nagorno-Karabakh!”
...The status went to hell. It failed; it was shattered to smithereens. It is not and will not be there. As long as I am President, there will be no status.”
President Ilham Aliyev stated that this war showed the whole world how great the Azerbaijani people are: “This war showed the whole world how great the Azerbaijani people are – the unconquered people, the people with iron resolve, the victorious people, and our victorious army! We are proud of our people, and our military!
I am sure that all Azerbaijani citizens believe that these days and minutes are the happiest in their lives. I am also excited to convey good news and these messages to the Azerbaijani people. I am pleased to have signed this historic document. I am happy that we are returning to our homeland, to our native Karabakh, Shusha - Karabakh's crown jewel, and we will always live in these lands! From now on, no one can move us from these lands!
The expression "Karabakh is Azerbaijan!" has already become a symbol of our victory. I said it a year ago. I am proud that my statement has already become a national slogan. Today we can say with great pride that Fuzuli is ours, Jabrayil is ours, Zangilan is ours, Gubadli is ours, Aghdam is ours, Lachin is ours, Kalbajar is ours, Shusha is ours, Karabakh is ours, Karabakh is Azerbaijan! Glory to the Azerbaijani people! Long live Azerbaijan!”
According to the statement, On November 10, 2020, from 00:00 Moscow time, a full ceasefire and all military operations in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone were suspended.
A fire-fighting peacekeeping contingent of 1,960 servicemen of the Russian Federation, 90 armored personnel carriers, 380 vehicles, and special equipment were stationed along the line of contact in Nagorno-Karabakh and the Lachin corridor.
The Lachin corridor (5 km wide), which will provide communication between Nagorno-Karabakh and Armenia, but will not affect the city of Shusha, is under the control of the Russian peacekeeping contingent.
A Russia-Turkey Joint Monitoring Center has been established to increase the effectiveness of monitoring the compliance of the parties to the agreements.
According to the statement, the occupied part of Aghdam city and the Aghdam region was liberated on November 20, the Kalbajar region on November 25, and Lachin region on December 1.
Azerbaijan managed to liberate these regions without any losses.
According to the statement, prisoners and bodies were exchanged between Azerbaijan and Armenia.
It should be noted that the decrees signed by President Ilham Aliyev after the end of the war established the day of the beginning of the Patriotic War - September 27 as the Day of Remembrance, and the day of the liberation of Shusha - November 8 as the Day of Victory.