Multiculturalism should be commonplace in every country, Azerbaijani president says
There is no alternative to multiculturalism, President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev said at an international conference, titled "2017- Year of Islamic Solidarity: Interfaith and Intercultural Dialogue", which kicked off in Baku on Dec. 21, APA reported.
He noted that there are many dangerous tendencies, such as Islamophobia, xenophobia, and anti-Semitism, shaking the world.
“The world sees multiculturalism in Azerbaijan’s example. However, sometimes there are very negative ideas about multiculturalism. Nevertheless, we should all work to preserve and strengthen these values,” said President Aliyev, adding that multiculturalism should become commonplace in every country.
Azerbaijan, which has special relations with Islamic countries within the framework of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), also plays an active role within this organization and enjoys great support, said the head of state.
“At the same time, we have close ties with European countries. Azerbaijan signed a document on strategic partnership with 9 EU member states. That is 1/3 of the EU members. We also have strong ties with the European Union. There is serious work on a number of issues,” he said.
The president recalled that since the beginning of this year Azerbaijan and the EU have been working on a new agreement.
“This again reflects the attitude of our country to issues of the international agenda and at the same time our policy,” he said.
The head of state stressed that the Azerbaijani people are very committed to their national and spiritual roots.
"The very national values form the foundation of the independent Azerbaijan state. Our national values are an integral part of universal values," President Aliyev said, noting that Azerbaijan is turning into an irreplaceable country in the inter-religious and intercultural dialogue thanks to its geography, history and past.
“I would also like to note that the state is pursuing and will continue to pursue the policy in this direction. This policy is based on public opinion because the Azerbaijani people live with these feelings and thoughts. Our successful development shows that when inter-religious and intercultural relations are at the right level, then there will be development and stability. All citizens of Azerbaijan are optimistic about the future,” he said.
The president went on to say that another important initiative was put forward by Azerbaijan in 2008.
"As you know, Azerbaijan is also a member of the Council of Europe. When we organized a meeting of ministers of culture of member states of the Council of Europe we decided to invite ministers from the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) countries. The ministers of the two organizations met in Baku for the first time. A very fruitful meeting was held and a very sincere exchange of views was conducted. We decided that this initiative should be continued,” said President Aliyev. “Next year Azerbaijan hosted an event of ministers of culture of the OIC member countries and invited the ministers of the Council of Europe countries. This initiative later was called Baku Process.”
He announced that the 10th anniversary of Baku Process will be celebrated next year.
“Today the Baku process is developing. Next year we will celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Baku Process which is highly appreciated by all respected international organizations, especially by the UN,” said President Aliyev, calling the Baku Process ‘a rare international platform for the development of relations between the Council of Europe and OIC.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018PACE Sub-Committee on Conflicts to be reconstituted
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend PACE winter session
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 22.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Japanese Emperor
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani president’s assistant: Threat of separatism is bigger in Europe
- 23.12.2017There was no need for Trump to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital – Azerbaijani official
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always played positive role among civilizations
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives state advisor to Uzbek president
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani president receives ISESCO director general