Mehriban Aliyeva: "Azerbaijan has become one of the centers of inter-civilization dialogue in the world"
"In recent years, Azerbaijan has become one of the recognized centers of interethnic, interreligious and intercivilizational dialogue in the world," Azerbaijan's First Vice-President, president of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation Mehriban Aliyeva stated it at the ceremony to present the Order of the saint Equal to the Apostles Duchess Olga of the 2nd Degree, a high order of the Russian Orthodox Church, APA reports.
Mehriban Aliyeva noted that authoritative international forums are regularly held in Baku aimed at creating mutual understanding and mutual respect: "In 2010, with your high participation in the capital of our Motherland, the World Summit of Religious Leaders was held. In 2006, the 7th Global Forum of the UN Alliance of Civilizations was held in Baku. On December 21 of this year there was a forum dedicated to the "Year of Islamic Solidarity" and the theme of this forum was again the creation of a dialogue between peoples, between representatives of various religions. Taking this opportunity, I want to express my deep gratitude to you for your message to this forum and for the high representation of the Russian Orthodox Church."
"We are a country that highly respects its roots, its traditions, its history. But, at the same time, we are a country open to the world. We want to build friendly relations with other states and other countries, and relations between Russia and Azerbaijan are built today on the basis of good-neighborliness, mutual respect and friendship. Azerbaijan and Russia are strategic partners, and our cooperation in the humanitarian sphere occupies a very important part in this partnership, of course. We have a huge layer of common cultural heritage, and our cooperation in the humanitarian sphere was formed in those years when Azerbaijan and Russia were still part of one state. It is very gratifying that after the restoration of independence, Azerbaijan not only has not lost, but, on the contrary, has multiplied this potential. Today in Azerbaijan there is an inexhaustible interest in the great Russian literature and culture. In schools, the study of the Russian language is fully preserved. We have 300 schools in the country, even more than 300 schools, where the educational process takes place entirely in Russian. In the capital there are the Azerbaijan State Russian Drama Theater, Baku Slavic University. The trend of opening branches of the leading Russian universities in Azerbaijan - we have a very successful branch of the Moscow State University named after Lomonosov, a branch of the First Moscow Medical University named after Sechenov - this is another example of our successful cooperation. We have very warm, friendly relations with the Astrakhan region. This is our friend, this is our neighbor and here is a great example of successful cooperation. Of particular importance to us is the discovery, the erection in 2013 of a monument to Saint Equal-to-the-Apostles Prince Vladimir. The best Azerbaijani artists and architects worked on the creation of this monument. Within a year they created a magnificent monument, which expresses our deep respect for the Russian Orthodox Church."
Speaking at the award ceremony, Patriarch Kirill said: "I would like to thank you heartily for the hard work you are carrying. You play a very important role in the life of your country and your people. But as a man with so many talents and remarkable spiritual qualities, you also do a lot outside of your homeland. And today the award was given to you for your assistance in the activities of the Russian Orthodox Church and for your special participation in the life of the city of Astrakhan."
"When I visited Astrakhan, I was told a lot about many things, but probably most of all I was told about you and how much good you did for this city. That is why, being in Astrakhan, I decided to honor you with the Order of the Russian Orthodox Church of the Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Princess Olga, who was the grandmother of Prince Vladimir. The very same Prince Vladimir, who baptized Rus, and which, in fact, played a decisive role in the formation of a unified Russian state. I would like to express my gratitude to you, wish you God's help in your labors, good health, successes in your political and professional activities, and through your efforts of your esteemed spouse-prosperity to the entire Azerbaijani people. I am glad to meet you and have the opportunity to express to you my respect, appreciation and give you a high award, " Patriarch Kirill said.
- 23.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Royal Philips CEO
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with founder of BlackRock in Davos
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with vice president of Chevron Corporation
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with LUKOIL president in Davos
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with President of the World Economic Forum in Davos - UPDATED
- 22.01.2018Council of Europe Sec. Gen. positively assesses measures taken in Azerbaijan to humanize penalties
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani-Korean inter-parliamentary working group to visit Baku
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani MP elected PACE vice-president
- 22.01.2018Michele Nicoletti elected new PACE President
- 22.01.2018PACE winter session kicks off today
- 20.01.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Georgia to hold talks on border delimitation
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to discuss state border demarcation
- 19.01.2018PACE Sub-Committee on Conflicts to be reconstituted
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend PACE winter session
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 28.12.2017MFA: Azerbaijan pursued independent, multi-vector, balanced foreign policy in 2017
- 28.12.2017Date set for ministerial conference of Non-Aligned Movement in Baku
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani president pays working visit to Russia
- 26.12.2017Russian officials congratulate Azerbaijani president on his birthday
- 25.12.2017Turkish PM sends letter to Azerbaijani President