Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
The statement by Georgia’s prime minister about the possibility of providing Armenia with access to Russia through Georgia’s territory has aroused a protest at a plenary session of the Azerbaijani Parliament on Friday.
MP Faraj Guliyev called on the parliament to protest against this issue in a formal way.
Lawmaker Gudrat Hasanguliyev, recalling major projects between Azerbaijan and Georgia, said that Azerbaijan should not remain silent. He urged that the Georgian ambassador be summoned to the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry and asked for an explanation.
MP Aflatun Amashov noted that by allows this, Georgia actually recognize violation of its own territorial integrity.
Another MP Aytan Mustafayeva also slammed the Georgian PM's statement.
Speaker Ogtay Asadov also noted that Georgian experts have warned against taking a step against the nature of strategic alliance with Azerbaijan.
"It is possible that somebody in Georgia wants to break our relations. But I do not believe that the Georgian authorities will take that step. We have drawn the Kars railway, from which Georgia is also benefiting. We’ll tell the friendship group to investigate the issue,” he added.
The Georgian government has signed a contract with the Swiss company SGS to transport cargoes to Russia through its territory, and, if needed, through the uncontrolled Zhinvali region. Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili said that in case of an emergency at the Kazbegi-Yukhari Lars customs checkpoint, the cargo would be transported via the specified route.
"No item of this contract has been directed against Georgia's interests. The issue is, if a force majeure—such as heavy snow or landslide—occurs at the Yukhari Lars customs checkpoint, the route in the direction of Zhinvali can be used. This corridor can be used by other countries, by Turkey and Armenia, as well as other countries benefiting from our country’s transit potential. However, this is still a unilateral signing. We continue negotiating, because there are some conditions put forward by Russia that are unacceptable to us," Kvirikashvili said in his speech to the Georgian parliament.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with youth and sports ministers of OIC countries
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijan appoints ambassador to North Korea
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has achieved great successes on int’l arena over past 15 years
- 18.04.2018Robert Cekuta: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election – positive factor for stability, development
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Alley of Martyrs
- 17.04.2018Rumen Radev sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018ECO Dushanbe communique expresses concern over Karabakh conflict
- 17.04.2018May 28 proclaimed Azerbaijan National Day in Chicago
- 16.04.2018China’s Xi congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Mahmoud Abbas sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan to be represented at ECO Foreign Ministers Council meeting
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan presidential election report to be heard at PACE Bureau meeting
- 16.04.2018Arizona Senate adopts proclamation expressing firm support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 14.04.2018CoE Secretary General congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 13.04.2018President of European Council Donald Tusk congratulated President Ilham Aliyev
- 13.04.2018Emir of Kuwait congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2018Euro-Asian Jewish Congress leaders congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus