Media should only disseminate information verified by Azerbaijani MoD – MP
Azerbaijani MP, Deputy Executive Secretary of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party (YAP) Siyavush Novruzov has responded to his some colleagues and non-governmental organizations calling for control over the Armed Forces.
“The Supreme Commander-in-Chief exercises control over the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan. In the event of any shortcomings, the Supreme Commander-in-Chief makes structural changes, etc. In this case, it is wrong to propose that control over the military be carried out by any non-governmental organization,” he said.
Novruzov noted that sometimes those who never served now talk about military service.
"The army is not theoretical. It is practical. Sometimes we compare ourselves with the United States, but their system is completely different. The Supreme Commander's task is that the soldier should not be made cook and wash the floor. Instead he must be ready for battle and learn tactics,” he said.
He went on to say: “Types of weapons are altered and modernized regularly. It is impossible to have a school leaver involved in handling new weapons. For this reason, specialists are involved in the army on a contractual basis. But there are countries where soldiers also serve on contract. If so, they can be controlled because the army is a place of work for those people, not a place of service. It is necessary to have NGOs involved for their rehabilitation and other issues. However, public control on those who are called up for real military service isn’t necessary. Generally, the army must be strictly closed to society, so that it can overcome its work.”
Novruzov also expressed his opinion on the proposal to appoint a civilian defense minister.
He noted that the defense minister of a country that is at war should be a professional serviceman.
"Once a mathematician was appointed as the defense minister and we saw what happened, what games he played on the country. From this point of view, I think that a professional soldier should head the army because our country is in a state of war. In some countries, the fact that the defense minister is a civilian has also led to such opinions in ours. However, such provisions can not be included in the law of a country which is in war,” he said.
“The secrets of the army must be kept confidential and the press should only disseminate information verified by the Ministry of Defense,” added the MP.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes new punishments for termination of activities of enterprises, organizations through strikes
- 26.04.2018Azerbaijan National NGO Forum releases final report on April 11 presidential election
- 26.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Growth of threats to global peace poses serious danger to peaceful co-existence of nations
- 26.04.2018Russia’s security chief presents Order of Honor to high-ranking Azerbaijani official
- 26.04.2018President of ExxonMobil congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 26.04.2018OSCE Secretary-General congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 25.04.2018Dates set for next plenary meetings of Azerbaijani parliament
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani Presidential Administration head urges end to corruption in State Migration Service
- 24.04.2018New head of Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Refugees and IDPs introduced to staff
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament ratifies law on insolvency
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments to Constitution of Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 24.04.2018Suspects in Toronto van attack identified
- 23.04.2018Ministers and chairmen of committees appointed to the new government of Azerbaijan
- 23.04.2018Chairman of Azerbaijan State Tourism Agency appointed
- 23.04.2018New appointments made for vacant posts in Cabinet of Ministers - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Ali Hasanov: US State Department's attitude to situation in Azerbaijan is biased as always
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: 44 out of 55 political parties submitted annual financial reports
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry confirms detention of ex-MP Huseyn Abdullayev
- 21.04.2018Rovshan Rzayev appointed head of State Committee for Refugees and IDPs
- 21.04.2018Samir Nuriyev to head Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Urban Planning and Architecture
- 21.04.2018Inam Karimov appointed Azerbaijan’s minister of agriculture
- 21.04.2018No appointments for some posts in new gov’t, some officials remain in place - LIST
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov relieved of his duties Assistant to the Azerbaijani President for Foreign Policy Issues – head of department
- 21.04.2018Abid Sharifov, Elchin Afandiyev, Ismat Abasov relieved of their duties
- 21.04.2018Sahil Babayev named Azerbaijan’s new minister of labor and social protection of population
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev approves new composition of Cabinet of Ministers
- 21.04.2018Hajibala Abutalibov relieved of his duties as Baku mayor
- 21.04.2018Organizations which fail to abide by rules during emergencies to be closed until the situation ends
- 21.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints Novruz Mammadov as PM
- 21.04.2018Biography of Azerbaijan’s new Prime Minister Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov: I will do my best to fulfill tasks set by Azerbaijani president
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov expresses gratitude to Azerbaijani president for confidence in him
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament considering Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev expresses gratitude to Artur Rasizade for his activity as PM
- 21.04.2018President of the Council of State of the Republic of Cuba congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 21.04.2018Total CEO congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism divided into two structures
- 20.04.2018Ali Hasanov awarded Order "For Service to Motherland"
- 15.12.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: Defense Ministry’s press service creates conditions for press to write about army
- 15.12.2017Free airtime for election candidates remains in force, MP says
- 15.12.2017Details emerge of CEC’s empowerment to strip an MP of mandate for ethics violations
- 15.12.2017MP Fazil Mustafa criticizes activities of Penitentiary Service
- 15.12.2017New bill on Armed Forces of Azerbaijan adopted in second reading
- 15.12.2017Media should not be banned from writing about army – MP Hasanguliyev