Media should only disseminate information verified by Azerbaijani MoD – MP
Azerbaijani MP, Deputy Executive Secretary of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party (YAP) Siyavush Novruzov has responded to his some colleagues and non-governmental organizations calling for control over the Armed Forces.
“The Supreme Commander-in-Chief exercises control over the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan. In the event of any shortcomings, the Supreme Commander-in-Chief makes structural changes, etc. In this case, it is wrong to propose that control over the military be carried out by any non-governmental organization,” he said.
Novruzov noted that sometimes those who never served now talk about military service.
"The army is not theoretical. It is practical. Sometimes we compare ourselves with the United States, but their system is completely different. The Supreme Commander's task is that the soldier should not be made cook and wash the floor. Instead he must be ready for battle and learn tactics,” he said.
He went on to say: “Types of weapons are altered and modernized regularly. It is impossible to have a school leaver involved in handling new weapons. For this reason, specialists are involved in the army on a contractual basis. But there are countries where soldiers also serve on contract. If so, they can be controlled because the army is a place of work for those people, not a place of service. It is necessary to have NGOs involved for their rehabilitation and other issues. However, public control on those who are called up for real military service isn’t necessary. Generally, the army must be strictly closed to society, so that it can overcome its work.”
Novruzov also expressed his opinion on the proposal to appoint a civilian defense minister.
He noted that the defense minister of a country that is at war should be a professional serviceman.
"Once a mathematician was appointed as the defense minister and we saw what happened, what games he played on the country. From this point of view, I think that a professional soldier should head the army because our country is in a state of war. In some countries, the fact that the defense minister is a civilian has also led to such opinions in ours. However, such provisions can not be included in the law of a country which is in war,” he said.
“The secrets of the army must be kept confidential and the press should only disseminate information verified by the Ministry of Defense,” added the MP.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party announces number of its members
- 18.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on centenary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 18.01.2018Isa Gambar discharged from hospital
- 17.01.2018One of presidential aide positions abolished in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018New appointment made in Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 17.01.2018Isa Gambar to stay under medical supervision for a time, cardiologist says
- 13.01.2018Isa Gambar hospitalized for heart problem
- 13.01.2018Office of OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media should avoid taking tendentious approach toward Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson issues statement on 28th anniversary of January tragedy
- 11.01.2018Draft law on implementation by Azerbaijan of int'l organizations’ decisions to be tabled in parliament again
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to declare 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’ - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Azerbaijani president announces 2017 economic indicators
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan witnessed successful, rapid development in 2017
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev declares 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’
- 10.01.2018Grandson of famous Azerbaijani intellectual Ahmed bey Agaoglu passes away
- 08.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament denies reports of increase in MP salaries
- 04.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends Christmas congratulations to Azerbaijan’s Orthodox Christian community
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament not to discuss issue of electing new ombudsperson during spring session
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijan approves plan of events to commemorate 28th anniversary of 20 January tragedy
- 02.01.2018The Azerbaijani MFA expresses its attitude towards the events in Iran
- 02.01.2018Date set for Azerbaijani parliament’s first plenary meeting in 2018
- 01.01.2018Congratulatory address of Ilham Aliyev to the people of Azerbaijan on the occasion of the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis and New Year
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up last plenary meeting in 2017
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani Parliament to mark 100th anniversary
- 28.12.2017Two more issues included in agenda of Azerbaijani parliament's last session for 2017
- 27.12.2017Rafael Gvaladze awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase minimum wage
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends congratulations on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 24.12.2017Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan phoned President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani journalists extend birthday congratulations to President Ilham Aliyev - VIDEO
- 24.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended groundbreaking ceremony of first building in MIDA Hovsan residential complex
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev turns 56 today
- 23.12.2017India intends to cooperate with Azerbaijan on space
- 23.12.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference titled 'At the junction of East and West: New Energy and Communication Opportunities' - UPDATED
- 23.12.2017New excise rates set for goods imported to Azerbaijan
- 22.12.2017Procedure for calculation of old-age labor pensions in Azerbaijan announced
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: No problem in Azerbaijan on religious and national grounds
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: For Azerbaijan, Islamic solidarity is not only an idea but also a priority
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani to hold presidential election on 17 October 2018
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends int’l conference dedicated to Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 15.12.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: Defense Ministry’s press service creates conditions for press to write about army
- 15.12.2017Free airtime for election candidates remains in force, MP says
- 15.12.2017Details emerge of CEC’s empowerment to strip an MP of mandate for ethics violations
- 15.12.2017MP Fazil Mustafa criticizes activities of Penitentiary Service
- 15.12.2017New bill on Armed Forces of Azerbaijan adopted in second reading
- 15.12.2017Media should not be banned from writing about army – MP Hasanguliyev