MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
Unlike previous sessions of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE), the last one did not go that smoothly for Azerbaijan, not only because of the anti-Azerbaijani document, Samad Seyidov, MP, head of the Azerbaijani Delegation to PACE, said at a parliamentary meeting on Friday, APA reported.
Seyidov noted that the issue of Azerbaijan was discussed during the session, but also by committees and political parties.
“What it stems from remains mystery to us. Today there is such a tendency within the Council of Europe that they target a certain country and solve their own problems,” he added.
The MP said that despite all this, the Azerbaijani delegation represented the country with dignity.
“We did everything that depends on us with dignity. The question is that a few days of the PACE autumn session were devoted to Azerbaijan. Why was the issue related to Azerbaijan included in the session’s agenda? Unfortunately, even those who had not previously joined meetings took part in the discussions on anti-Azerbaijani resolutions,” he added.
The Council of Europe is an important body, a tribute for Azerbaijan, Seyidov said stressing that there are attempts to drive Azerbaijan out this organization.
The MP accused the Council of Europe Secretary General of attempting to pressure Azerbaijan turning the rule of law into an instrument.
“Even sensible people became their hostages. A group of people came under their influence during the adoption of anti-Azerbaijani resolutions,” he added.
As for the fact that a group of Turkish MPs voted for the anti-Azerbaijan resolutions, Seyidov underlined the need to analyze the relationship.
“If we see that along with deputies, other bodies are biased toward us, then we should demonstrate our position,” he said, adding. “No state can reconcile with such a biased attitude. The pressure is too great and is directed against the successful policy pursued by Azerbaijan. We must take this into account. However, our delegation will continue its work in PACE.”
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Rovshan Rzayev appointed head of State Committee for Refugees and IDPs
- 21.04.2018Samir Nuriyev to head Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Urban Planning and Architecture
- 21.04.2018Inam Karimov appointed Azerbaijan’s minister of agriculture
- 21.04.2018No appointments for some posts in new gov’t, some officials remain in place - LIST
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov relieved of his duties Assistant to the Azerbaijani President for Foreign Policy Issues – head of department
- 21.04.2018Abid Sharifov, Elchin Afandiyev, Ismat Abasov relieved of their duties
- 21.04.2018Sahil Babayev named Azerbaijan’s new minister of labor and social protection of population
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev approves new composition of Cabinet of Ministers
- 21.04.2018Hajibala Abutalibov relieved of his duties as Baku mayor
- 21.04.2018Organizations which fail to abide by rules during emergencies to be closed until the situation ends
- 21.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints Novruz Mammadov as PM
- 21.04.2018Biography of Azerbaijan’s new Prime Minister Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov: I will do my best to fulfill tasks set by Azerbaijani president
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov expresses gratitude to Azerbaijani president for confidence in him
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament considering Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev expresses gratitude to Artur Rasizade for his activity as PM
- 21.04.2018President of the Council of State of the Republic of Cuba congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 21.04.2018Total CEO congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism divided into two structures
- 20.04.2018Ali Hasanov awarded Order "For Service to Motherland"
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to consider approval of new PM on April 21 - UPDATED
- 19.04.2018NATO issues statement on Gerasimov-Scaparrotti meeting in Baku
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss ombudsperson's annual report on April 24
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Only countries with strong economy can pursue independent policy
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Fight against corruption and bribery will continue in Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Efforts for democratic development in Azerbaijan to be intensified
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Armenian leadership fails to understand that destroyed mosques will live in our hearts
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Anti-national groups that became increasingly active during election ‘already marginalized’
- 18.04.2018Issues raised by candidates during election will be carefully considered: Azerbaijani president
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Democratic development in Azerbaijan has been very rapid over last 15 years
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Presidential election reflected Azerbaijani people’s will
- 18.04.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan congratulate President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on execution of powers of government members
- 18.04.2018Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan resigns
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits National Flag Square
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Inauguration ceremony of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev held - UPDATED
- 17.04.2018Date set for inauguration ceremony of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani Constitutional Court confirms April 11 presidential election results - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 22.10.2017Gunmen kill 13 Niger gendarmes in attack near Mali border
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan considers fining officials failing to control execution of public works and administrative penalties