Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
MP Elmira Akhundova said that the fact that Ukrainian MPs voted against Azerbaijan was not approved of by Kiev, either.
According to her, this issue was touched upon at a meeting held with the Ukrainian deputy prime minister in the office of the Congress of Ukrainians of Azerbaijan.
"I believe that what those MP did does not reflect the position of Kiev," Akhundova said.
MP Tahir Karimli in his speech called PACE members "immoral".
"If the Council of Europe wants to exclude Azerbaijan from its ranks, then our country must itself withdraw from this organization, without waiting for the decision of the Council of Europe. Europe does not want to see the colors of our flag. So where is our Caucasian pride? Why should we live under the dictation of an empire that collapsed due to its immorality? We ourselves must decide who should be released, and we should never live under the dictation of big states. Nor should we blindly follow their instructions," he added.
Speaker Oktay Asadov reacted to the deputy's statement, saying "If we blindly obeyed the Council of Europe, then we would not have been treated like that. The problem has to do with the influence of the Armenian diaspora and the position of Azerbaijan.”
“If we decide to withdraw from the Council of Europe, then Armenians will take advantage of this opportunity trying to achieve the recognition of the “independence” of Nagorno-Karabakh,” he added.
Speaker Ogtay Asadov said: “No one is going to leave this organization. “We are talking about the attitude of this organization”.
Related news releases
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 10.02.2018Umid (Hope) and Musavat Parties not to participate in presidential elections
- 10.02.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds republican meeting relating presidential elections
- 10.02.2018Official: NAP decision to nominate Ilham Aliyev for presidential election is supported by majority of Azerbaijani people
- 10.02.2018Tillerson sees tough talks with Turkey, others on Mideast trip
- 09.02.2018Ilgar Abbasov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party submits documents to CEC for registration of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC to develop mechanism for monitoring social networks
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is one of safest countries worldwide
- 08.02.2018Multiculturalism is lifestyle in Azerbaijan - President Aliyev
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijani president: 2018 will be a year of rapid development
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: All freedoms ensured in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018President Aliyev says political and economic reforms will continue in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party nominates Ilham Aliyev for upcoming presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 22.10.2017Gunmen kill 13 Niger gendarmes in attack near Mali border
- 24.10.2017Turkish soldier martyred in PKK attack
- 20.10.2017MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21