At least 70 civilians have been killed, mainly elderly people and children, in an attack on a village in northern Burkina Faso earlier this month, a prosecutor said in a statement on Monday, APA reports citing Reuters.
Unidentified assailants attacked the village of Zaongo in Burkina Faso's northern Centre-North region on Nov. 5, killing residents and setting property on fire.
A judicial team sent to investigate on Nov. 11 found that at least 70 people had died. Most of the victims were children and elderly, a state prosecutor said in a statement.
The exact number of deaths, injured and missing has yet to be determined, it added.
"The authors of these atrocities remain unknown. Investigations are ongoing," the statement said.