White House expecting Russia to expel Snowden back to U.S.
Baku-APA. The White House said on Monday that it was expecting Russia to look at the options available to expel fugitive U.S. intelligence leaker Edward Snowden back to the country.
"It is our assumption that he is in Russia," spokesman Jay Carney told reporters at a regular press briefing.
"I would say that we are, obviously, in conversations, and that we are working with them or discussing with them and -- or rather, expecting them to look at the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States to face justice for the crimes with which he is charged," he said.
Snowden, 30, was charged by Washington with espionage and theft of government property following his disclosure of massive secret phone and Internet surveillance programs of the National Security Agency (NSA).
Snowden, the target of a U.S. arrest warrant, left Hong Kong on Sunday aboard a flight and landed in Moscow, as he is reportedly seeking asylum in Ecuador.
"I would note that given our intensified cooperation with Russia, after the Boston Marathon bombings, and our history of working with Russia on law enforcement matters, including returning numerous high-level criminals back to Russia at the request of the Russian government, that we do expect the Russian government to look at all the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States," Carney said.
A Russian official, however, said Monday that the United States has no right to demand the arrest and extradition of Snowden by Russia.
Besides, the former NSA contractor has not committed any crime in Russia, nor have Russian authorities received any request from the International Criminal Police Organization on arrest, said Russian human rights ombudsman Vladimir Lukin.
Related news releases
- 14.10.2015Russia ready to cooperate in Boeing crash investigation - Russian Foreign Ministry
- 14.10.2015Moscow Sends Syria Flight Safety Proposals to Washington
- 14.10.2015Ukraine explains not closing airspace before MH17 downed
- 14.10.2015Putin attaches great significance to contacts with US on Syria — Kremlin spokesman
- 13.10.2015Russia’s permanent envoy to NATO: 4,000 IS militants entered Afghanistan
- 13.10.2015Russia calls shelling of its embassy in Syria terrorist attack
- 12.10.2015Azerbaijan in talks with Russia over helicopter and armed vehicle import
- 12.10.2015Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko wins re-election
- 11.10.2015Putin appeals to join efforts in fight against terrorism
- 11.10.2015Putin discusses operation in Syria with Russia's Security Council
- 10.10.2015Ukrainian president visits Kazakhstan on relations, eastern Ukrainian crisis
- 09.10.2015ICC prosecutor plans probe into 2008 Georgia-Russia war
- 09.10.2015Armenia referendum on constitutional amendments set for December 6
- 09.10.2015US has nothing to object to Russia’s actions in Syria with — upper house speaker
- 09.10.2015Russia: No reason for relations with Turkey to worsen
- 09.10.2015Russia's Defense Ministry aware of Free Syrian Army’s willingness to battle IS together
- 09.10.2015Lavrov, Kerry discuss Ukraine, fight against IS by phone — Russia's foreign ministry
- 08.10.2015Russian, French diplomats discuss coordinated efforts to fight Islamic State
- 08.10.2015IS gunmen killed in Chechnya prepared large-scale terrorist attacks — Chechen leader
- 08.10.2015Russia dismisses U.S. refusal to share intelligence in campaign in Syria
- 08.10.2015OSCE chief to visit Russia
- 08.10.2015Kremlin: UK deploying troops to Baltic region under various pretexts
- 07.10.2015Putin: US should inform Russia about locations of ISIL
- 07.10.2015Russian Defense Ministry releases video of cruise missile strikes from Caspian Sea against ISIL targets - VİDEO
- 07.10.2015Russia says preliminary results of anti-ISIL operation in Syria
- 07.10.2015Russia ready to coordinate airstrikes in Syria with US
- 07.10.2015Putin: France thinks Syrian forces could unite with Free Syrian Army against IS
- 07.10.2015Russian warships in Caspian sea launch attack on ISIL in Syria
- 07.10.2015Russian rouble increases
- 07.10.2015Russia, US work on agreement to coordinate air operations in Syria
- 07.10.2015Russia ready to consider anti-Daesh operation in Iraq: Parliament speaker
- 07.10.2015Kremlin to clarify Lukashenko’s arguments about airbase in Belarus
- 07.10.2015IS terrorists may blast mosques in Syria to blame Russia — Defense Ministry
- 06.10.2015Foreign Ministry: No volunteers recruited in Russia to fight in Syria
- 06.10.2015Gazprom confirms plans to construct only two lines of Turkish Stream
- 06.10.2015Court starts hearing on claim for recognition of Telman Ismailov bankrupt
- 06.10.2015Russia not planning to join US anti-terror coalition - Foreign Ministry
- 06.10.2015East Ukraine’s Lugansk, Donetsk postpone dates of local elections
- 06.10.2015Constitutional reforms unnecessary, says Armenia’s second president
- 06.10.2015Azerbaijani citizen arrested after living in Russia with fake passport for 10 years