Baku-APA. The White House said on Monday that it was expecting Russia to look at the options available to expel fugitive U.S. intelligence leaker Edward Snowden back to the country.
"It is our assumption that he is in Russia," spokesman Jay Carney told reporters at a regular press briefing.
"I would say that we are, obviously, in conversations, and that we are working with them or discussing with them and -- or rather, expecting them to look at the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States to face justice for the crimes with which he is charged," he said.
Snowden, 30, was charged by Washington with espionage and theft of government property following his disclosure of massive secret phone and Internet surveillance programs of the National Security Agency (NSA).
Snowden, the target of a U.S. arrest warrant, left Hong Kong on Sunday aboard a flight and landed in Moscow, as he is reportedly seeking asylum in Ecuador.
"I would note that given our intensified cooperation with Russia, after the Boston Marathon bombings, and our history of working with Russia on law enforcement matters, including returning numerous high-level criminals back to Russia at the request of the Russian government, that we do expect the Russian government to look at all the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States," Carney said.
A Russian official, however, said Monday that the United States has no right to demand the arrest and extradition of Snowden by Russia.
Besides, the former NSA contractor has not committed any crime in Russia, nor have Russian authorities received any request from the International Criminal Police Organization on arrest, said Russian human rights ombudsman Vladimir Lukin.
- 02/10/2014 At least 10 killed in shelling of school and mini-van in Ukraine
- 01/10/2014 Russia won't allow replay of Ukrainian scenario on Transdniestria’s borders — Rogozin
- 01/10/2014 Ukraine-Russia-EU gas talks postponed till next week
- 30/09/2014 Representatives of “parliamentary four” call on citizens protesting against new Law on Tax to gather outside parliament building
- 30/09/2014 Iran, Russia presidents review bilateral cooperation
- 29/09/2014 There are two groups in UN Security Council – Russian ambassador to UN
- 28/09/2014 Seven dead in central China landslide
- 27/09/2014 Russian State Duma cuts foreign ownership in Russian media to 20%
- 27/09/2014 Lavrov met ICRC president on UN General Assembly sidelines
- 27/09/2014 Russia, Ukraine reach interim deal on gas dispute
- 26/09/2014 CIS leaders to discuss threats of Islamic State
- 25/09/2014 Armenian citizens who robbed 18 mln rubles from bank in Russia detained
- 25/09/2014 Ukraine's prime minister urges West not to lift sanctions on Russia
- 24/09/2014 US did not tell Russia about planned strikes against militants in Syria
- 23/09/2014 Moscow comments on US airstrikes on IS militants in Syria
- 23/09/2014 Tymoshenko: Putin has three goals now
- 23/09/2014 Vladimir Putin and Ban Ki-moon have telephone conversation
- 23/09/2014 Air strikes on Islamic State bases in Syria inadmissible without Damascus consent - Putin
- 23/09/2014 Ukraine seeks to partially replace gas with heating oil
- 23/09/2014 Compliance with Minsk agreement critical for peace in Donbass — Poroshenko, Merkel
- 23/09/2014 Three contract servicemen die during maneuvers on Sakhalin Island
- 22/09/2014 Russia's Putin looking at cooperation to fight Islamic State: agency
- 22/09/2014 Russia wants economically stable Ukraine: Putin
- 22/09/2014 40 life prisoners go on hunger strike in Armenia
- 22/09/2014 Iran’s President to visit Armenia
- 22/09/2014 Astrakhan to host 4th Caspian Summit
- 22/09/2014 Russia makes proposals during talks between P5+1 group and Tehran
- 21/09/2014 Several injured, as bus with 34 children skids off road in north-western Russia
- 21/09/2014 Medvedev: Europe will pay for sanctions against Russia
- 20/09/2014 Contact Group on Ukraine coordinates roadmap for implementing September 5 peace protocol
- 19/09/2014 Russia prepares to appeal to WTO to argue Western sanctions — Medvedev
- 19/09/2014 Russia won’t seek ‘invitation’ to coalition fighting IS – official
- 18/09/2014 Three civilians killed in eastern Ukraine
- 18/09/2014 Lavrov: No one will allow Ukraine to give up its nuclear-free status
- 18/09/2014 Ukraine PM tells army to be on full battle alert despite ceasefire
- 18/09/2014 Africa conflicts must be settled under the auspices of African Union - Lavrov
- 18/09/2014 Russia is not completely confident Iran, P5+1 can work out agreement by November 24
- 17/09/2014 Tycoon's arrest sends shock wave through Russia
- 17/09/2014 Russia, Egypt seal preliminary arms deal worth $3.5 billion
- 17/09/2014 Adviser to Ukrainian President: Fight against armed groups to continue in Donbass