Baku-APA. The White House said on Monday that it was expecting Russia to look at the options available to expel fugitive U.S. intelligence leaker Edward Snowden back to the country.
"It is our assumption that he is in Russia," spokesman Jay Carney told reporters at a regular press briefing.
"I would say that we are, obviously, in conversations, and that we are working with them or discussing with them and -- or rather, expecting them to look at the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States to face justice for the crimes with which he is charged," he said.
Snowden, 30, was charged by Washington with espionage and theft of government property following his disclosure of massive secret phone and Internet surveillance programs of the National Security Agency (NSA).
Snowden, the target of a U.S. arrest warrant, left Hong Kong on Sunday aboard a flight and landed in Moscow, as he is reportedly seeking asylum in Ecuador.
"I would note that given our intensified cooperation with Russia, after the Boston Marathon bombings, and our history of working with Russia on law enforcement matters, including returning numerous high-level criminals back to Russia at the request of the Russian government, that we do expect the Russian government to look at all the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States," Carney said.
A Russian official, however, said Monday that the United States has no right to demand the arrest and extradition of Snowden by Russia.
Besides, the former NSA contractor has not committed any crime in Russia, nor have Russian authorities received any request from the International Criminal Police Organization on arrest, said Russian human rights ombudsman Vladimir Lukin.
- 18/10/2014 Russia and Ukraine gas agreement "close at hand"
- 18/10/2014 Putin calls participation in Asia-Europe Meeting useful
- 17/10/2014 Russia-Ukraine gas talks to continue — energy minister
- 16/10/2014 Russia to supply enough gas to Europe in winter — Putin
- 15/10/2014 Sanctions leave 99% of Russian innovative projects unaffected — deputy PM
- 14/10/2014 Latvia supports steps to freeze visa dialogue with Russia
- 13/10/2014 Russia to continue fight against Ebola — Putin
- 13/10/2014 Difference between coherent and incoherent foreign policy - ANALYSIS
- 12/10/2014 Ukraine, Russia close to settlement of gas issue - Poroshenko
- 12/10/2014 Clashes leave at least five dead in eastern Ukraine
- 10/10/2014 Thousands of people hold protest in center of Yerevan
- 10/10/2014 CIS summit kicks off in Minsk
- 10/10/2014 9 dead, 64 wounded in E.Ukraine fighting
- 10/10/2014 Putin dismisses critic Kasparov's political skills
- 09/10/2014 Armavia disbanded
- 09/10/2014 Leaders of Russia, Ukraine, Germany, France to meet in Milan
- 08/10/2014 Sergei Lavrov: I don’t see any logical connection between anti-Russian sanctions and normalization of situation in Ukraine
- 08/10/2014 Next meeting of CIS Foreign Ministers Council to be held in Minsk on October 9
- 08/10/2014 Petro Poroshenko: There can be no discussion on changing Ukraine's state border
- 08/10/2014 Gazprom CEO says Ukraine unable to pump sufficient gas ahead of winter
- 08/10/2014 Finance minister warns Russia can't afford military spending plan
- 07/10/2014 At least 15 killed in fresh confrontation in eastern Ukraine
- 07/10/2014 Moscow urges compromise on gas dispute with Ukraine
- 07/10/2014 Two civilians killed as fighting rages in Ukraine's Donetsk
- 06/10/2014 Russian, US diplomats discuss settlement of crisis in Ukraine
- 06/10/2014 Terrorist attack prevented in Dagestan − Russian Anti-Terrorist Committee
- 05/10/2014 Russia to deploy new missile attack warning radars in Arctic
- 05/10/2014 Bodies found near Mexico town where 43 students vanished
- 05/10/2014 West raises pressure on Russia to save Ukraine truce
- 04/10/2014 Ukraine says its forces killed 12 rebels at Donetsk airport
- 04/10/2014 Alexander Lukashenko: ‘There shouldn't be any frozen conflicts like Transnistria and Nagorno-Karabakh in Ukraine’
- 04/10/2014 946 Ukrainian soldiers killed in conflict: Poroshenko
- 03/10/2014 Date for Russia-Ukraine-EU gas talks to be set after October 7 — Russian energy minister
- 03/10/2014 13 reported dead in eastern Ukraine confrontation
- 03/10/2014 Three militants killed in special operation in Dagestan
- 02/10/2014 If no amendments are made to the law today, we will carry out March 1 - Stepan Aslanyan
- 02/10/2014 Russia launches criminal case against Ukraine's Defense Minister
- 02/10/2014 At least 10 killed in shelling of school and mini-van in Ukraine
- 01/10/2014 Russia won't allow replay of Ukrainian scenario on Transdniestria’s borders — Rogozin
- 01/10/2014 Ukraine-Russia-EU gas talks postponed till next week