White House expecting Russia to expel Snowden back to U.S.
Baku-APA. The White House said on Monday that it was expecting Russia to look at the options available to expel fugitive U.S. intelligence leaker Edward Snowden back to the country.
"It is our assumption that he is in Russia," spokesman Jay Carney told reporters at a regular press briefing.
"I would say that we are, obviously, in conversations, and that we are working with them or discussing with them and -- or rather, expecting them to look at the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States to face justice for the crimes with which he is charged," he said.
Snowden, 30, was charged by Washington with espionage and theft of government property following his disclosure of massive secret phone and Internet surveillance programs of the National Security Agency (NSA).
Snowden, the target of a U.S. arrest warrant, left Hong Kong on Sunday aboard a flight and landed in Moscow, as he is reportedly seeking asylum in Ecuador.
"I would note that given our intensified cooperation with Russia, after the Boston Marathon bombings, and our history of working with Russia on law enforcement matters, including returning numerous high-level criminals back to Russia at the request of the Russian government, that we do expect the Russian government to look at all the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States," Carney said.
A Russian official, however, said Monday that the United States has no right to demand the arrest and extradition of Snowden by Russia.
Besides, the former NSA contractor has not committed any crime in Russia, nor have Russian authorities received any request from the International Criminal Police Organization on arrest, said Russian human rights ombudsman Vladimir Lukin.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2016Poroshenko congratulates Savchenko on return to Ukraine
- 25.05.2016Savchenko makes first speech upon return to Ukraine
- 25.05.2016Russia frees Ukraine pilot Savchenko in prisoner swap
- 25.05.2016Plane carrying Savchenko departs to Kiev - UPDATED
- 25.05.2016Almost 3,000 Russians left country to join terrorist groups
- 25.05.2016Food, uniforms intended for Armenian army on sale in Poland
- 25.05.2016Poverty deepening in Armenia
- 25.05.2016Ticket sales from Russia to Azerbaijan increased by 90 percent
- 25.05.2016Five gunmen supporting IS detained in North Caucasus — ministry
- 24.05.2016Russia ready to set up broad anti-terrorist front
- 24.05.2016Russian Defense Ministry summons US Embassy attache over spotted reconnaissance plane
- 24.05.2016Russia calls for 'regime of calm' in Syria's Eastern Ghouta and Daraya
- 23.05.2016Russia blasts NATO for Cold War mentality
- 23.05.2016Armenian president dismisses another general of Armed Forces
- 21.05.2016IS cell members detained in Russia’s Ingushetia
- 20.05.2016Russia proposes joint airstrikes on Syria rebels with U.S.-led coalition
- 19.05.2016Russia's FSB chief says terrorist attack may be behind EgyptAir flight crash
- 19.05.2016Gunman shot dead after taking 6 hostage in Moscow bank
- 18.05.2016Kiev refuses to pay for Russian gas sent to Donbass
- 17.05.2016Mass brawl erupts between Chechen and Dagestani wrestlers in Russia
- 15.05.2016Russia retains right to respond to U.S. missile defense deployment in Europe - ministry
- 15.05.2016Militants kill two police in Russia's Dagestan, Islamic State claims responsibility
- 14.05.2016Mass brawl occurred at cemetery, MoscowMass brawl occurred at cemetery, Moscow - UPDATED
- 14.05.2016Helicopter crashes into lake in Russia
- 14.05.2016News Feed Magnitude 4.9 earthquake registered on Dagestan-Chechnya border
- 14.05.2016Russia will act to neutralize U.S. missile shield threat: Putin
- 13.05.2016Kyrgyzstan detains former officials on suspicion of trying to seize power
- 12.05.2016Russia to ban imports of lemon from Turkey
- 12.05.2016Ukraine's auto production drops 27.5 pct
- 12.05.2016Russia says U.S. partners in Europe not threatened by Iranian missiles
- 12.05.2016Russian weapons performed well in Syria but more improvement needed: Putin
- 10.05.2016Russia, Egypt discuss resumption of direct flights
- 08.05.2016Forest fire emergency Declared in Russian Far East
- 07.05.2016Russia says truce extended for 72 hours in Aleppo, Latakia
- 07.05.2016Moscow regards preparations for US-Georgian drills as provocation
- 06.05.2016Russia's Lavrov: U.S. must give us legal guarantee over Asian anti-missile system
- 06.05.2016Terror attack in Russia thwarted - FSB
- 06.05.2016Suspect in high-profile murder of Russian journalist detained
- 06.05.2016Ohanyan: Russia does not allow Armenia to buy arms and ammunition from any other country
- 04.05.2016Armenian website director arrested for blackmailing MP