Baku-APA. The White House said on Monday that it was expecting Russia to look at the options available to expel fugitive U.S. intelligence leaker Edward Snowden back to the country.
"It is our assumption that he is in Russia," spokesman Jay Carney told reporters at a regular press briefing.
"I would say that we are, obviously, in conversations, and that we are working with them or discussing with them and -- or rather, expecting them to look at the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States to face justice for the crimes with which he is charged," he said.
Snowden, 30, was charged by Washington with espionage and theft of government property following his disclosure of massive secret phone and Internet surveillance programs of the National Security Agency (NSA).
Snowden, the target of a U.S. arrest warrant, left Hong Kong on Sunday aboard a flight and landed in Moscow, as he is reportedly seeking asylum in Ecuador.
"I would note that given our intensified cooperation with Russia, after the Boston Marathon bombings, and our history of working with Russia on law enforcement matters, including returning numerous high-level criminals back to Russia at the request of the Russian government, that we do expect the Russian government to look at all the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States," Carney said.
A Russian official, however, said Monday that the United States has no right to demand the arrest and extradition of Snowden by Russia.
Besides, the former NSA contractor has not committed any crime in Russia, nor have Russian authorities received any request from the International Criminal Police Organization on arrest, said Russian human rights ombudsman Vladimir Lukin.
- 19/12/2014 Lavrov: Ukraine Freedom Act to undermine US-Russia relations for long time
- 19/12/2014 France’s Hollande wants to hold talks on Ukraine conflict with Putin, Poroshenko
- 19/12/2014 Russian Central Bank may limit currency exchange spreads for banks
- 19/12/2014 Ukraine’s Ukrtransgaz, Poland’s Gaz-System S.A. sign cooperation agreement
- 19/12/2014 Belarus president demands to trade with Russia in dollars, euros
- 18/12/2014 Poroshenko submits to parliament bill revoking Ukraine’s non-bloc status
- 18/12/2014 Ruble continues to slide after modest recovery
- 18/12/2014 George Soros may be appointed head of National Bank of Ukraine
- 18/12/2014 Without Turkey some regional issues cannot be resolved – Russian president
- 18/12/2014 Food prices rapidly rising in Armenia
- 18/12/2014 Kadirov has no right to speak this way – Putin
- 18/12/2014 Putin: There can not be a palace coup in Russia, because there are no palaces
- 18/12/2014 Dollar, euro rates rise again during Putin’s speech
- 18/12/2014 Turkey’s economy developing, new resources needed – Russian president
- 18/12/2014 Putin: Our economic troubles is punishment for our natural desire to preserve ourselves as a nation, as a civilization, as a state
- 18/12/2014 Putin: Russian economy affected by external factors
- 18/12/2014 Lukashenko proposes to pay for Russian expenses in dollars or euros
- 18/12/2014 Exchange rate of USD falls to RR 58.5 in Moscow’s bourse
- 18/12/2014 Parliament of Kazakhstan ratifies treaty on Armenia's accession to EEU
- 18/12/2014 Belarus tightens control over online media
- 18/12/2014 Ukraine leader wants to join "Euro-Atlantic" security alliance
- 17/12/2014 Poroshenko says will present to parliament bill renouncing non-aligned status
- 17/12/2014 Armenia minibus drivers announce strike - PHOTOSESSION
- 17/12/2014 Dmitry Medvedev acknowledges negative impact of Western sanctions and oil prices fall on Russian economy
- 17/12/2014 Putin in talks by phone with Merkel, Hollande, Poroshenko discusses Ukraine crisis
- 17/12/2014 Poroshenko: conflict in eastern Ukraine can be settled only on basis of Minsk agreements
- 17/12/2014 Russia to take measures to stabilize currency market
- 16/12/2014 Poroshenko best chance for Ukraine at present — Lavrov
- 16/12/2014 Russia political analyst: West will not go to a ‘third world war’
- 16/12/2014 Alexander Lukashenko: Russian market collapsed, we must expand into new markets
- 16/12/2014 Oleksandr Turchynov becomes secretary of Ukraine's NSDC
- 16/12/2014 EU foreign policy chief may visit Moscow in first months of 2015
- 16/12/2014 Russian banks start National Payment Card System tests
- 16/12/2014 Russia, North Korea plan to sign agreement on military activity prevention
- 16/12/2014 As Ukraine truce holds, Russia vows economic pain
- 16/12/2014 17-year-old Russian basketball player dies
- 15/12/2014 Medvedev: Just as Turkey, Ukraine not expected by EU either
- 15/12/2014 MP: Armenia runs toward Russia-led union like obedient schoolchild
- 15/12/2014 Mikhail Gorbachev: US needs reforms similar to those during Perestroika in the Soviet Union
- 15/12/2014 Dmitry Medvedev: Ukrainian citizens will not be able to work in Russia without labor patent