Baku-APA. The White House said on Monday that it was expecting Russia to look at the options available to expel fugitive U.S. intelligence leaker Edward Snowden back to the country.
"It is our assumption that he is in Russia," spokesman Jay Carney told reporters at a regular press briefing.
"I would say that we are, obviously, in conversations, and that we are working with them or discussing with them and -- or rather, expecting them to look at the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States to face justice for the crimes with which he is charged," he said.
Snowden, 30, was charged by Washington with espionage and theft of government property following his disclosure of massive secret phone and Internet surveillance programs of the National Security Agency (NSA).
Snowden, the target of a U.S. arrest warrant, left Hong Kong on Sunday aboard a flight and landed in Moscow, as he is reportedly seeking asylum in Ecuador.
"I would note that given our intensified cooperation with Russia, after the Boston Marathon bombings, and our history of working with Russia on law enforcement matters, including returning numerous high-level criminals back to Russia at the request of the Russian government, that we do expect the Russian government to look at all the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States," Carney said.
A Russian official, however, said Monday that the United States has no right to demand the arrest and extradition of Snowden by Russia.
Besides, the former NSA contractor has not committed any crime in Russia, nor have Russian authorities received any request from the International Criminal Police Organization on arrest, said Russian human rights ombudsman Vladimir Lukin.
- 21/08/2014 Georgia’s Prime Minister arrives in Armenia
- 21/08/2014 Crisis in eastern Ukraine unlikely to be solved exclusively by force - Poroshenko
- 21/08/2014 Ukrainian govt troops take over much of Luhansk
- 21/08/2014 Ukraine conflict is draining economy, hampering reforms: PM Yatseniuk
- 20/08/2014 Ukraine seeks combined IMF aid tranches
- 20/08/2014 Ukrainian troops take control of Ilovaysk city of Donetsk
- 20/08/2014 Two militants killed in Dagestan
- 19/08/2014 Putin, Lukashenko discuss preparation of Customs Union-Ukraine-EU meeting
- 19/08/2014 Ukrainian president to meet Putin, EU officials in Minsk
- 19/08/2014 Ukrainian MP calls on West to provide military aid to Ukraine
- 19/08/2014 Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev to visit Armenia
- 19/08/2014 Red Cross official heading for Moscow to discuss situation around Ukraine aid convoy
- 19/08/2014 Ukraine: Dozens of Civilians Killed in Convoy
- 18/08/2014 Man fired at Turkish Embassy in Russia, turns out to be Armenian
- 17/08/2014 Imam shot dead in North Ossetia - Interior Ministry
- 17/08/2014 OSCE says situation in Donetsk is tense
- 17/08/2014 Russian aid convoy checked; military vehicles mass near Ukraine
- 16/08/2014 Ukrainian army liberates one more city from separatists
- 16/08/2014 Hagel speaks with Russian defense minister
- 16/08/2014 Georgian chief prosecutor puts ex-president on wanted list
- 16/08/2014 Kiev says forces shelled Russian armour inside Ukraine
- 15/08/2014 Food prices under control in Russia — prosecutor’s office
- 15/08/2014 Russian military vehicles do not advance deep into Ukraine
- 15/08/2014 Russian military vehicles enter Ukraine
- 15/08/2014 Ukrainian army captures key town near Lugansk
- 14/08/2014 Medvedev's Twitter Account Hacked, Resignation Tweet False – Press Service
- 14/08/2014 Ukraine sets conditions for Russian convoy as death toll soars
- 14/08/2014 No troop movement on Russian-Ukrainian border - OSCE observers
- 14/08/2014 Ukraine accuses Russia of cynicism over convoy; death toll rises sharply
- 13/08/2014 Russian, Belarus, Kazakh leaders discuss steps to prevent illegal food re-exports
- 13/08/2014 Risk of Ebola getting to Russia remains low
- 13/08/2014 Ukraine vows to take measures to ensure security of humanitarian convoy
- 12/08/2014 Two new submarines to be laid down for Russian Navy in October
- 12/08/2014 Russian journalist Stenin arrested in Ukraine on suspicion of aiding terrorists
- 12/08/2014 Russian humanitarian aid for Ukraine needs Kiev’s consent - White House
- 12/08/2014 Russia to start building 6 stadiums for 2018 FIFA World Cup in August-September
- 12/08/2014 Russian ministry warns about chemical threat as Ukraine plant shelled
- 12/08/2014 Ukrainian, EU leaders discuss situation in Ukraine's east over phone
- 11/08/2014 Putin, al-Sisi to discuss Russia-Egypt economic cooperation, international issues
- 11/08/2014 Putin: Russia to dispatch relief aid to eastern Ukraine