Baku-APA. The White House said on Monday that it was expecting Russia to look at the options available to expel fugitive U.S. intelligence leaker Edward Snowden back to the country.
"It is our assumption that he is in Russia," spokesman Jay Carney told reporters at a regular press briefing.
"I would say that we are, obviously, in conversations, and that we are working with them or discussing with them and -- or rather, expecting them to look at the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States to face justice for the crimes with which he is charged," he said.
Snowden, 30, was charged by Washington with espionage and theft of government property following his disclosure of massive secret phone and Internet surveillance programs of the National Security Agency (NSA).
Snowden, the target of a U.S. arrest warrant, left Hong Kong on Sunday aboard a flight and landed in Moscow, as he is reportedly seeking asylum in Ecuador.
"I would note that given our intensified cooperation with Russia, after the Boston Marathon bombings, and our history of working with Russia on law enforcement matters, including returning numerous high-level criminals back to Russia at the request of the Russian government, that we do expect the Russian government to look at all the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States," Carney said.
A Russian official, however, said Monday that the United States has no right to demand the arrest and extradition of Snowden by Russia.
Besides, the former NSA contractor has not committed any crime in Russia, nor have Russian authorities received any request from the International Criminal Police Organization on arrest, said Russian human rights ombudsman Vladimir Lukin.
- 23/05/2015 Commander of “Ghost” brigade (LPR Army) Aleksey Mozgovoy was assassinated
- 22/05/2015 Agreement on EUR 1.8 bln macro-financial aid to Ukraine signed in Riga
- 22/05/2015 Serbia not to impose sanctions on Russia, Serbian president says
- 21/05/2015 Russia ready to help Iraq defeat Islamic State: Lavrov
- 21/05/2015 Kyrgyz president signs ratification to join Eurasian Economic Union
- 21/05/2015 3 dead, nearly 20 injured in bus crash in Russia
- 21/05/2015 Ukraine to halt military-technical cooperation with Russia
- 21/05/2015 Russia ready for win-win cooperation with West: Lavrov
- 20/05/2015 Russia promises response to US missile defense systems in Ukraine
- 20/05/2015 Russia Claims No 'Post-Soviet Monopoly' - Lavrov - PHOTO
- 20/05/2015 US, NATO’s growing offensive power near Russia creates threats - official
- 19/05/2015 OSCE chief monitor says situation around Ukraine's Shirokino will be settled within days
- 19/05/2015 Ukraine says it will prosecute captured Russian soldiers for terrorist acts
- 18/05/2015 Armenian MP: Syunik provincial governor is drug addict
- 15/05/2015 Yatsenyuk, Nuland discuss cooperation in returning ex-officials’ money back to Ukraine
- 14/05/2015 Ukraine objects to further delay of trade deal with EU
- 14/05/2015 Ukraine's interior minister may be dismissed
- 13/05/2015 Andrei Kazantsev: “The United States understood that Russia can't be ignored on important issues” - OPINION
- 12/05/2015 Putin-Kerry meeting underway in Sochi
- 12/05/2015 Lavrov, Kerry meet in Sochi
- 12/05/2015 Agenda for Putin-Kerry meeting is broad – Kremlin
- 11/05/2015 Russian president, US secretary of state to meet in Sochi tomorrow
- 08/05/2015 Lukashenko: If Ukraine quits CIS, it will be difficult to return
- 08/05/2015 Former Russian Defense Ministry’s official sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 08/05/2015 US refuses to grant visa to Robert Kocharian's son and his wife
- 08/05/2015 Ukraine's Poroshenko slams 'appeasement' of Moscow
- 07/05/2015 Putin meets with Raul Castro, hails Russian-Cuban ties
- 07/05/2015 President: Belarus ready to do its utmost for peace in Ukraine
- 07/05/2015 Cuba's Castro starts Russian visit ahead of WWII parade
- 07/05/2015 5 Ukrainian troops killed as cease-fire teeters on brink
- 06/05/2015 Russian FM’s visit to Turkey for May 16 postponed
- 06/05/2015 IL-76 aircraft evacuating Ukrainians from Nepal to land in Baku
- 06/05/2015 Slovenia, Russia vow to continue trade cooperation despite tough sanctions
- 04/05/2015 So-called South Ossetian parliament speaker hosted by Armenian National Assembly chairman
- 04/05/2015 Donbass war set to flare up again
- 01/05/2015 Poroshenko: the war in Ukraine will over when Donbass in back in Ukraine
- 01/05/2015 4 killed in fresh clashes in E. Ukraine
- 30/04/2015 Ukrainian environmentalists call to abandon use of nuclear plants
- 29/04/2015 Lukashenko: Peace to come with US joining settlement of Ukraine crisis
- 29/04/2015 Yatsenyuk: not enough equipment for effort to put out fire near Chernobyl NPP