Baku – APA. More people are refugees or internally displaced than at any time since 1994, with the crisis in Syria having emerged as a major new factor in global displacement.
War remains the dominant cause. A full 55 percent of all refugees listed in UNHCR's report come from just five war-affected countries: Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Sudan. The report also charts major new displacement from Mali, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and from Sudan into South Sudan and Ethiopia.
"These truly are alarming numbers. They reflect individual suffering on a huge scale and they reflect the difficulties of the international community in preventing conflicts and promoting timely solutions for them," said António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees and head of UNHCR.
The report highlights worrisome trends, including the rate at which people are being forced into situations of displacement. During 2012 some 7.6 million people became newly displaced, 1.1 million as refugees and 6.5 million as internally displaced people. This translates to a new refugee or internally displaced person every 4.1 seconds.
Also evident is a continuing gap between richer and poorer countries in hosting refugees. Of 10.5 million refugees under UNHCR's mandate -- a further 4.9 million Palestinian refugees fall under the mandate of its sister-agency, the UN Relief and Works Agency), half are hosted by countries that have a per capita GDP of less than US$5,000. In all, developing countries host 81 percent of the world's refugees compared to 70 percent a decade ago.
Children below age 18 make up 46 percent of all refugees. In addition, a record 21,300 asylum applications submitted during 2012 were from children who were unaccompanied or separated from their parents. This is the highest number of unaccompanied or separated children that UNHCR has recorded.
Global displacement for any year is the sum of new displacement, existing unresolved displacement, and subtracting resolved displacement such as people returning home or being allowed to settle permanently outside their home country through citizenship or some other solution.
UNHCR works to help people who are forcibly displaced, including through aid and immediate practical help, and by finding solutions to their plight. The year 2012 saw an end to displacement for 2.7 million people, including 526,000 refugees and 2.1 million internally displaced people. Among those for whom solutions were found are 74,800 people submitted by UNHCR for resettlement in third countries.
Last year saw little change from 2011 in the rankings of the world's major refugee hosting countries. Pakistan continued to host more refugees than any other nation (1.6 million), followed by Iran (868,200) and Germany (589,700).
Afghanistan remained the world's top producer of refugees, a position it has held for 32 years. On average, one out of every four refugees worldwide is Afghan, with 95 percent located in Pakistan or Iran. Somalia, another protracted conflict, was the world's second largest refugee-producing nation during 2012, however there the rate of refugee outflow slowed. Iraqis were the third largest refugee group (746,700 persons), followed by Syrians (471,400).
With people displaced inside their own countries, the figure of 28.8 million for 2012 is the highest level in more than two decades. This includes 17.7 million who are being helped by the UN refugee agency. UNHCR assistance to IDPs is not automatic but occurs at the request of governments. Significant new internal displacement was seen in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Syria.
The Global Trends report is UNHCR's leading annual report on the state of forced displacement. Additional data is published annually in the UN refugee agency's Statistical Yearbooks, and its reports on asylum applications in industrialized nations.
- 29/05/2015 Most Azerbaijani schools celebrate “Last bell” today
- 27/05/2015 Average temperature in Azerbaijan reaches 0.9 C as result of climate change
- 26/05/2015 AZN 5 mln worth of drugs destroyed in Azerbaijan
- 26/05/2015 Azerbaijan’s Minister of Emergency Situations to receive citizens in Siyezen
- 26/05/2015 Man, beating other inmate, slashed himself in Baku
- 25/05/2015 Rules for admission to universities announced in Azerbaijan
- 23/05/2015 Date of “last bell” at Azerbaijani schools specified
- 23/05/2015 Abid Sharifov: “The reconstruction work in the fire-affected building will be completed within 5 months”
- 23/05/2015 President Ilham Aliyev approves Letter of Intent on Azerbaijani-French University
- 23/05/2015 President approves Memorandum of Understanding between Azerbaijan and UAE on emergency management
- 22/05/2015 More than 250 buildings guarded in order to provide safety
- 22/05/2015 Abid Sharifov: Compensation to be paid to owners of cars damaged in Baku fire outbreak
- 22/05/2015 Reconstruction work starts in Baku high-rise hit by fatal fire
- 21/05/2015 AZN 20,000 to be given to each of 56 families resided in fire-affected building in Baku
- 20/05/2015 Azerbaijani President: “I have instructed to dismantle the similar facing materials from the buildings in the soonest time”
- 20/05/2015 Azerbaijani president: All major events nothing compared to such tragedy
- 20/05/2015 Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan sign agreement on emergency situations cooperation
- 20/05/2015 State Commission created over Baku high-rise fire outbreak holds first meeting
- 19/05/2015 Deputy Head of Azerbaijani Presidential Administration and Ministry of Emergency Situations inspected the burnt building in Binagadi district
- 19/05/2015 Started the process of dismantling fire-sensitive facing materials from buildings in Baku - PHOTOSESSION
- 19/05/2015 Salim Muslimov: "For each family is allocated pre-payment in the amount of 1,000 AZN"
- 19/05/2015 Kemaleddin Heydarov cuts Uzbekistan visit short over Baku fire outbreak
- 18/05/2015 This year student admission to some universities in Azerbaijan suspended
- 16/05/2015 “Baku Heart Days” international congress dedicated to memory of national leader Heydar Aliyev starts
- 15/05/2015 Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 14/05/2015 10 million to die by 2050 without new antibiotics: O'Neill
- 13/05/2015 Azerbaijani president attends opening of Bike Park in Baku
- 11/05/2015 Week-long magnetic storms to hit Earth
- 11/05/2015 Azerbaijani man seeks Guinness World Record by eating 365 bees - PHOTO
- 09/05/2015 Military parade dedicated to 70th anniversary of Victory kicks off in Moscow - PHOTOSESSION
- 08/05/2015 SSAC chairwoman: Minimal passing score to be applied for six specialties of first group this year in Azerbaijan
- 07/05/2015 Roads to be closed due to 3rd round of TOUR d’AZERBAIDJAN bike tour named
- 07/05/2015 10,000 youth form giant portrait and signature of Heydar Aliyev in Ganja - PHOTO
- 07/05/2015 Students from Armenia to attend International Chemistry Olympiad in Baku
- 07/05/2015 President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new office building of Organization of Veterans of War, Labor and Armed Forces
- 07/05/2015 2243 foreigners deported from Azerbaijan last month
- 07/05/2015 UN: Record 38 mln people internally displaced worldwide in 2014
- 06/05/2015 Import of poultry products from Turkey’s 12 regions to Azerbaijan suspended regarding spread of avian flu
- 06/05/2015 Rauf Mirgadirov’s prison term extended again
- 06/05/2015 Azerbaijan Education Ministry develops new mechanism for providing stipends to students