Baku – APA. More people are refugees or internally displaced than at any time since 1994, with the crisis in Syria having emerged as a major new factor in global displacement.
War remains the dominant cause. A full 55 percent of all refugees listed in UNHCR's report come from just five war-affected countries: Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Sudan. The report also charts major new displacement from Mali, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and from Sudan into South Sudan and Ethiopia.
"These truly are alarming numbers. They reflect individual suffering on a huge scale and they reflect the difficulties of the international community in preventing conflicts and promoting timely solutions for them," said António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees and head of UNHCR.
The report highlights worrisome trends, including the rate at which people are being forced into situations of displacement. During 2012 some 7.6 million people became newly displaced, 1.1 million as refugees and 6.5 million as internally displaced people. This translates to a new refugee or internally displaced person every 4.1 seconds.
Also evident is a continuing gap between richer and poorer countries in hosting refugees. Of 10.5 million refugees under UNHCR's mandate -- a further 4.9 million Palestinian refugees fall under the mandate of its sister-agency, the UN Relief and Works Agency), half are hosted by countries that have a per capita GDP of less than US$5,000. In all, developing countries host 81 percent of the world's refugees compared to 70 percent a decade ago.
Children below age 18 make up 46 percent of all refugees. In addition, a record 21,300 asylum applications submitted during 2012 were from children who were unaccompanied or separated from their parents. This is the highest number of unaccompanied or separated children that UNHCR has recorded.
Global displacement for any year is the sum of new displacement, existing unresolved displacement, and subtracting resolved displacement such as people returning home or being allowed to settle permanently outside their home country through citizenship or some other solution.
UNHCR works to help people who are forcibly displaced, including through aid and immediate practical help, and by finding solutions to their plight. The year 2012 saw an end to displacement for 2.7 million people, including 526,000 refugees and 2.1 million internally displaced people. Among those for whom solutions were found are 74,800 people submitted by UNHCR for resettlement in third countries.
Last year saw little change from 2011 in the rankings of the world's major refugee hosting countries. Pakistan continued to host more refugees than any other nation (1.6 million), followed by Iran (868,200) and Germany (589,700).
Afghanistan remained the world's top producer of refugees, a position it has held for 32 years. On average, one out of every four refugees worldwide is Afghan, with 95 percent located in Pakistan or Iran. Somalia, another protracted conflict, was the world's second largest refugee-producing nation during 2012, however there the rate of refugee outflow slowed. Iraqis were the third largest refugee group (746,700 persons), followed by Syrians (471,400).
With people displaced inside their own countries, the figure of 28.8 million for 2012 is the highest level in more than two decades. This includes 17.7 million who are being helped by the UN refugee agency. UNHCR assistance to IDPs is not automatic but occurs at the request of governments. Significant new internal displacement was seen in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Syria.
The Global Trends report is UNHCR's leading annual report on the state of forced displacement. Additional data is published annually in the UN refugee agency's Statistical Yearbooks, and its reports on asylum applications in industrialized nations.
- 12/03/2014 Women in Politics Map 2014 released
- 12/03/2014 Education Minister reveals main challenge in Azerbaijan’s education
- 12/03/2014 Education Minister: "Azerbaijan won’t switch to 12-year education from the next academic year"
- 11/03/2014 Azerbaijani Parliament to discuss document, recognizing mercenaries’ fighting abroad as terrorist act, on March 14
- 11/03/2014 EU allocates more than AZN 5m for implementation of democracy, human rights and regional development projects in Azerbaijan
- 11/03/2014 Today is "Wind Tuesday" of Novruz
- 10/03/2014 Attraction opened in Baku Boulevard
- 10/03/2014 Chinese government announces scholarship program for Azerbaijani students
- 10/03/2014 Coverage of terrorism notion to be expanded in Azerbaijan
- 08/03/2014 Azerbaijan marks March 8 – International Women’s Day
- 07/03/2014 Yusif Yusibov appointed as rector of Ganja State University
- 06/03/2014 Elkhan Huseynov appointed as rector of Sumgayit State University
- 05/03/2014 New rector appointed to Azerbaijan State Economic University
- 05/03/2014 Legend of Arms exhibition launched at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 05/03/2014 Weather to deteriorate in Azerbaijan, temperature to fall 5…7 C
- 05/03/2014 Republic Seismological Service Center: Seismic activity is observed in Azerbaijan
- 05/03/2014 Drivers paid AZN 60m to Azerbaijan’s state budget for violation of traffic rules last year
- 04/03/2014 One more fact of maternal death in Azerbaijan
- 04/03/2014 Cabinet of Ministers to hold special meeting on "Sovetski"
- 03/03/2014 Abid Sharifov makes public Azerbaijani government's final decision on evacuation of “Sovetski”
- 03/03/2014 Clinic Hospital #4 in Baku closed
- 03/03/2014 Deputy PM: “Now, the houses are visited for inventory, not for demolition” - UPDATED 2
- 03/03/2014 Weather to be rainy in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 03/03/2014 Results of first stage of master's degree examination to be announced within 2 days
- 02/03/2014 Azerbaijan holds first stage of master's degree examination
- 01/03/2014 Presidential Administration official: “The Azerbaijani state gives special support to the youth organizations”
- 01/03/2014 Youth Foundation financed 1021 projects in 2013
- 28/02/2014 Azerbaijan’s Minister of Emergency Situations receives citizens in Guba - PHOTO
- 28/02/2014 Azerbaijan and WB discuss cooperation perspectives in social protection of population - PHOTO
- 27/02/2014 Azerbaijani President issues decree to approve 2014-2018 State Program on socio-development of regions
- 27/02/2014 Labor books to be abolished in Azerbaijan
- 27/02/2014 Ministers discuss inclusion of Khojaly genocide in Turkish textbooks
- 25/02/2014 President Ilham Aliyev awards Akif Alizadeh with “Istiglal” order
- 25/02/2014 Azerbaijani President allocates AZN 5m to speed up socio-economic development of Sumgayit
- 25/02/2014 Azerbaijan’s Minister of Emergency Situations to receive citizens in Guba
- 24/02/2014 Azerbaijan commemorating Kiev victims - PHOTO
- 24/02/2014 Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on occasion of Khojaly genocide anniversary
- 22/02/2014 Rainfall to continue in Azerbaijan
- 21/02/2014 People killed in Kiev unrests to be commemorated in Baku
- 20/02/2014 ASAN Service presented in Europe - PHOTO