UN: The number of refugees and internally displaced persons exceeded 45 mln
Baku – APA. More people are refugees or internally displaced than at any time since 1994, with the crisis in Syria having emerged as a major new factor in global displacement.
War remains the dominant cause. A full 55 percent of all refugees listed in UNHCR's report come from just five war-affected countries: Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Sudan. The report also charts major new displacement from Mali, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and from Sudan into South Sudan and Ethiopia.
"These truly are alarming numbers. They reflect individual suffering on a huge scale and they reflect the difficulties of the international community in preventing conflicts and promoting timely solutions for them," said António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees and head of UNHCR.
The report highlights worrisome trends, including the rate at which people are being forced into situations of displacement. During 2012 some 7.6 million people became newly displaced, 1.1 million as refugees and 6.5 million as internally displaced people. This translates to a new refugee or internally displaced person every 4.1 seconds.
Also evident is a continuing gap between richer and poorer countries in hosting refugees. Of 10.5 million refugees under UNHCR's mandate -- a further 4.9 million Palestinian refugees fall under the mandate of its sister-agency, the UN Relief and Works Agency), half are hosted by countries that have a per capita GDP of less than US$5,000. In all, developing countries host 81 percent of the world's refugees compared to 70 percent a decade ago.
Children below age 18 make up 46 percent of all refugees. In addition, a record 21,300 asylum applications submitted during 2012 were from children who were unaccompanied or separated from their parents. This is the highest number of unaccompanied or separated children that UNHCR has recorded.
Global displacement for any year is the sum of new displacement, existing unresolved displacement, and subtracting resolved displacement such as people returning home or being allowed to settle permanently outside their home country through citizenship or some other solution.
UNHCR works to help people who are forcibly displaced, including through aid and immediate practical help, and by finding solutions to their plight. The year 2012 saw an end to displacement for 2.7 million people, including 526,000 refugees and 2.1 million internally displaced people. Among those for whom solutions were found are 74,800 people submitted by UNHCR for resettlement in third countries.
Last year saw little change from 2011 in the rankings of the world's major refugee hosting countries. Pakistan continued to host more refugees than any other nation (1.6 million), followed by Iran (868,200) and Germany (589,700).
Afghanistan remained the world's top producer of refugees, a position it has held for 32 years. On average, one out of every four refugees worldwide is Afghan, with 95 percent located in Pakistan or Iran. Somalia, another protracted conflict, was the world's second largest refugee-producing nation during 2012, however there the rate of refugee outflow slowed. Iraqis were the third largest refugee group (746,700 persons), followed by Syrians (471,400).
With people displaced inside their own countries, the figure of 28.8 million for 2012 is the highest level in more than two decades. This includes 17.7 million who are being helped by the UN refugee agency. UNHCR assistance to IDPs is not automatic but occurs at the request of governments. Significant new internal displacement was seen in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Syria.
The Global Trends report is UNHCR's leading annual report on the state of forced displacement. Additional data is published annually in the UN refugee agency's Statistical Yearbooks, and its reports on asylum applications in industrialized nations.
Related news releases
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijan’s justice minister meets with US ambassador
- 29.04.2016Court rejects petition for Ilgar Mammadov’s release
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijani president signs order on ASPU’s Gazakh and Zagatala branches
- 29.04.2016UN high rep, TURKSOY chief visit Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 29.04.2016Baku hosting annual plenary session of FDI World Dental Federation
- 29.04.2016‘Azerbaijan’s multicultural safety is no less important than other security doctrines’
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijan to create legal aid delivery mechanisms to ensure access to information
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijan’s minister of emergency situations receives citizens in Masalli
- 28.04.2016Work underway to liquidate SSAC and CSC
- 28.04.2016Director of ANAS Institute of History slams Armenian media accusations
- 27.04.2016Azerbaijan’s minister: Intercultural dialogue cannot be achieved without decisive steps in education
- 27.04.2016Special unit to be created in Central Hospital of Oil Workers in Baku for upcoming F1 race
- 27.04.2016Azerbaijan’s minister of emergency situations to receive citizens in Masalli
- 26.04.2016Opinion: there are religious and racial hate groups in US, Europe
- 26.04.2016MoU on establishment of French-Azerbaijani University signed
- 25.04.2016Azerbaijan promotes values of tolerance – minister
- 25.04.2016Leyla Aliyeva: Azerbaijan – land of rich historical traditions
- 23.04.2016Round table on “next exposure of so-called Armenian genocide” held at ANAS
- 23.04.2016Azerbaijan signs UNFCCC Paris Agreement
- 22.04.2016Azay Guliyev reelected chairman of Azerbaijan’s Council of State Support to NGOs
- 21.04.2016April 25 declared Entrepreneurs’ Day in Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2016EU representative: 90 percent of children in Europe lives at risk of poverty
- 21.04.2016Easing of children’s penalties proposed in Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2016100 modern ambulances brought for upcoming int’l events in Baku
- 20.04.2016Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of lump-sum financial aid to WW II veterans
- 20.04.2016Azerbaijan announces planned changes to next state program on youth education abroad
- 20.04.2016Over 117,000 people undergoes pre-marital medical examinations in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2016SSAC, CSC to operate until State Exam Center undergoes state registration
- 16.04.2016Deputy chairmen appointed to State Exam Center’s board of directors
- 16.04.2016Education ministry holds consultations on new state program on education abroad
- 16.04.2016Azerbaijan to create State Agency for Vocational Education
- 15.04.2016Azerbaijan to suspend state program on education abroad
- 15.04.2016Parents not to be fined for children’s truancy in Azerbaijan
- 15.04.2016Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 15.04.2016Unsteady weather forecasted in Azerbaijan
- 14.04.2016Azerbaijani emergency situations minister meets with IAEA deputy director general
- 13.04.2016Delay in adoption of law “On reproductive health” in Azerbaijan caused by Caucasian Muslims Office
- 13.04.2016Unregistered marriages on the rise in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2016Russian billionaire Milner, British physicist Hawking announce $100mln Starshot project
- 12.04.2016Director appointed to newly-created Azerbaijan State Housing Agency