Baku – APA. More people are refugees or internally displaced than at any time since 1994, with the crisis in Syria having emerged as a major new factor in global displacement.
War remains the dominant cause. A full 55 percent of all refugees listed in UNHCR's report come from just five war-affected countries: Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Sudan. The report also charts major new displacement from Mali, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and from Sudan into South Sudan and Ethiopia.
"These truly are alarming numbers. They reflect individual suffering on a huge scale and they reflect the difficulties of the international community in preventing conflicts and promoting timely solutions for them," said António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees and head of UNHCR.
The report highlights worrisome trends, including the rate at which people are being forced into situations of displacement. During 2012 some 7.6 million people became newly displaced, 1.1 million as refugees and 6.5 million as internally displaced people. This translates to a new refugee or internally displaced person every 4.1 seconds.
Also evident is a continuing gap between richer and poorer countries in hosting refugees. Of 10.5 million refugees under UNHCR's mandate -- a further 4.9 million Palestinian refugees fall under the mandate of its sister-agency, the UN Relief and Works Agency), half are hosted by countries that have a per capita GDP of less than US$5,000. In all, developing countries host 81 percent of the world's refugees compared to 70 percent a decade ago.
Children below age 18 make up 46 percent of all refugees. In addition, a record 21,300 asylum applications submitted during 2012 were from children who were unaccompanied or separated from their parents. This is the highest number of unaccompanied or separated children that UNHCR has recorded.
Global displacement for any year is the sum of new displacement, existing unresolved displacement, and subtracting resolved displacement such as people returning home or being allowed to settle permanently outside their home country through citizenship or some other solution.
UNHCR works to help people who are forcibly displaced, including through aid and immediate practical help, and by finding solutions to their plight. The year 2012 saw an end to displacement for 2.7 million people, including 526,000 refugees and 2.1 million internally displaced people. Among those for whom solutions were found are 74,800 people submitted by UNHCR for resettlement in third countries.
Last year saw little change from 2011 in the rankings of the world's major refugee hosting countries. Pakistan continued to host more refugees than any other nation (1.6 million), followed by Iran (868,200) and Germany (589,700).
Afghanistan remained the world's top producer of refugees, a position it has held for 32 years. On average, one out of every four refugees worldwide is Afghan, with 95 percent located in Pakistan or Iran. Somalia, another protracted conflict, was the world's second largest refugee-producing nation during 2012, however there the rate of refugee outflow slowed. Iraqis were the third largest refugee group (746,700 persons), followed by Syrians (471,400).
With people displaced inside their own countries, the figure of 28.8 million for 2012 is the highest level in more than two decades. This includes 17.7 million who are being helped by the UN refugee agency. UNHCR assistance to IDPs is not automatic but occurs at the request of governments. Significant new internal displacement was seen in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Syria.
The Global Trends report is UNHCR's leading annual report on the state of forced displacement. Additional data is published annually in the UN refugee agency's Statistical Yearbooks, and its reports on asylum applications in industrialized nations.
- 24/11/2014 Azerbaijan announces non-working days during Novruz, Ramadan and Eid al-Adha in 2015
- 24/11/2014 Temperature was below normal in Azerbaijan yesterday
- 22/11/2014 Snowfall expected in Azerbaijan tomorrow - VİDEO
- 21/11/2014 Azerbaijani MES and General Prosecutor's Office warn people against swindlers defrauding entrepreneurs
- 21/11/2014 Rain predicted in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 20/11/2014 Unsteady weather predicted in Azerbaijan in coming days
- 20/11/2014 US Charge d'Affaires: We pleased to cooperate with Azerbaijan on combating human trafficking
- 20/11/2014 USAID to allocate $610,000 to OSCE Project Coordinator's Office in Baku for combating human trafficking
- 20/11/2014 Cigarette price may rise in Azerbaijan
- 18/11/2014 Azerbaijani Minister of Emergency Situations meets with delegation led by UAE Economy Minister - PHOTO
- 17/11/2014 Number of Azerbaijani population reaches 9.6 mln person
- 15/11/2014 State adviser: “There is no religious and national issue that cannot be solved in Azerbaijan”
- 14/11/2014 Baku hosts opening ceremony of 6th e-Sports World Championship
- 13/11/2014 “3 apples” children's Literature sector of TEAS Press Publishing House holds presentation of over 20 children’s books - PHOTOSESSION
- 13/11/2014 In recent years wind speed decreased and direction changed in Baku
- 12/11/2014 Students of European Azerbaijan School win International Olympiad
- 11/11/2014 Tomorrow’s weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 11/11/2014 Severe weather changes not expected in Azerbaijan over next 2-3 days
- 11/11/2014 Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku due to Iranian president’s visit
- 10/11/2014 Rainless weather forecasted in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 10/11/2014 Baku Higher Oil School rector: If Islamic world underdeveloped today, it comes from attitude toward science, education
- 07/11/2014 Ali Hasanov discusses issue of releasing Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev with head of UNHCR Azerbaijan office
- 06/11/2014 Kemaleddin Heydarov: We will continue cleaning up contaminated lands in Absheron peninsula
- 06/11/2014 Education Ministry: In Azerbaijan not only pupils, but teachers are sometimes absent in lessons
- 05/11/2014 Azerbaijani President allocates AZN 5 mln for completion of reconstruction works at Ganja Imamzada Complex
- 05/11/2014 School year extended in Azerbaijan’s secondary schools
- 04/11/2014 President Ilham Aliyev approves ‘The conception of the reform of pension system in the Republic of Azerbaijan in 2014-2020’
- 04/11/2014 Azerbaijan declares five non-working days during New Year
- 03/11/2014 Hadi Rajabli: 200 children born with thalassemia, 300 with hemophilia in Azerbaijan every year
- 03/11/2014 Temperature to be -3…-8 C in some places of Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 01/11/2014 Resettlement Commission warns “Sovetski” residents about “moneymakers” and swindle attempts
- 31/10/2014 Number of people, wanting to move from Sovetski, now reaches 2,620
- 31/10/2014 Weather Warning for Azerbaijan
- 31/10/2014 November weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 30/10/2014 Baku Declaration of First Global Forum on Youth Policies passed
- 30/10/2014 Azerbaijan’s Minister of Emergency Situations Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Gusar
- 29/10/2014 Shamakhy Observatory: Reports of possible 3-day darkness on half of Earth in December groundless
- 29/10/2014 Recent solar flares cause strong magnetic storm on Earth
- 29/10/2014 Zambian minister of sports leaves Baku over president’s sudden death
- 29/10/2014 Azerbaijan to allocate $1m for UN to fight against Ebola