Baku – APA. More people are refugees or internally displaced than at any time since 1994, with the crisis in Syria having emerged as a major new factor in global displacement.
War remains the dominant cause. A full 55 percent of all refugees listed in UNHCR's report come from just five war-affected countries: Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Sudan. The report also charts major new displacement from Mali, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and from Sudan into South Sudan and Ethiopia.
"These truly are alarming numbers. They reflect individual suffering on a huge scale and they reflect the difficulties of the international community in preventing conflicts and promoting timely solutions for them," said António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees and head of UNHCR.
The report highlights worrisome trends, including the rate at which people are being forced into situations of displacement. During 2012 some 7.6 million people became newly displaced, 1.1 million as refugees and 6.5 million as internally displaced people. This translates to a new refugee or internally displaced person every 4.1 seconds.
Also evident is a continuing gap between richer and poorer countries in hosting refugees. Of 10.5 million refugees under UNHCR's mandate -- a further 4.9 million Palestinian refugees fall under the mandate of its sister-agency, the UN Relief and Works Agency), half are hosted by countries that have a per capita GDP of less than US$5,000. In all, developing countries host 81 percent of the world's refugees compared to 70 percent a decade ago.
Children below age 18 make up 46 percent of all refugees. In addition, a record 21,300 asylum applications submitted during 2012 were from children who were unaccompanied or separated from their parents. This is the highest number of unaccompanied or separated children that UNHCR has recorded.
Global displacement for any year is the sum of new displacement, existing unresolved displacement, and subtracting resolved displacement such as people returning home or being allowed to settle permanently outside their home country through citizenship or some other solution.
UNHCR works to help people who are forcibly displaced, including through aid and immediate practical help, and by finding solutions to their plight. The year 2012 saw an end to displacement for 2.7 million people, including 526,000 refugees and 2.1 million internally displaced people. Among those for whom solutions were found are 74,800 people submitted by UNHCR for resettlement in third countries.
Last year saw little change from 2011 in the rankings of the world's major refugee hosting countries. Pakistan continued to host more refugees than any other nation (1.6 million), followed by Iran (868,200) and Germany (589,700).
Afghanistan remained the world's top producer of refugees, a position it has held for 32 years. On average, one out of every four refugees worldwide is Afghan, with 95 percent located in Pakistan or Iran. Somalia, another protracted conflict, was the world's second largest refugee-producing nation during 2012, however there the rate of refugee outflow slowed. Iraqis were the third largest refugee group (746,700 persons), followed by Syrians (471,400).
With people displaced inside their own countries, the figure of 28.8 million for 2012 is the highest level in more than two decades. This includes 17.7 million who are being helped by the UN refugee agency. UNHCR assistance to IDPs is not automatic but occurs at the request of governments. Significant new internal displacement was seen in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Syria.
The Global Trends report is UNHCR's leading annual report on the state of forced displacement. Additional data is published annually in the UN refugee agency's Statistical Yearbooks, and its reports on asylum applications in industrialized nations.
- 07/07/2015 Azerbaijan holds second stage of entrance examination to residency
- 03/07/2015 Azerbaijan SSAC announces results of entrance and final exams held on July 2
- 02/07/2015 Azerbaijan to hold university entrance examination on 5th specialty group today
- 01/07/2015 Azerbaijan makes public list of halal and haram animals for Muslims
- 01/07/2015 First deputy chairman of "ASAN Service" Rashad Abbasov dismissed
- 01/07/2015 Duration of traffic restrictions on European Games lanes in Baku extended
- 01/07/2015 UNEC introduces online admission for foreign students
- 30/06/2015 Vice-president of Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva meets Russian students - PHOTOSESSION
- 30/06/2015 Monograph titled “Russia’s policy on Azerbaijan: A comparative analysis of the period from the time of Peter I to Putin” published in Germany
- 30/06/2015 Emergency Situations Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Goychay - PHOTO
- 30/06/2015 July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 30/06/2015 Applicants wishing to study at Baku Islam University to be examined by religious-psychological commission
- 27/06/2015 Traffic movement to be restricted in central streets, avenues of Baku - VİDEO
- 27/06/2015 40-degree heat forecasted in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 24/06/2015 Next school year in Azerbaijan to end on 14 June 2016
- 24/06/2015 Malaria killed more people than usual in Ebola outbreak
- 24/06/2015 MERS virus death toll rises to '471 since 2012': WHO
- 23/06/2015 Second-strongest geomagnetic storm occurs this year
- 22/06/2015 Azerbaijan abolishes some statuses of refugees
- 22/06/2015 Bahram Khalilov: Some state authorities neglected assessing civil servants’ performance
- 20/06/2015 Rules for registration of foreign NGOs in Azerbaijan changed
- 18/06/2015 Rules specified for resumption of activities of foreign NGOs’ representative offices and branches in Azerbaijan
- 18/06/2015 Azerbaijani SSAC announces statistics of latest final exam results
- 18/06/2015 Alarmingly, over half the world’s refugees are children – UNHCR report
- 18/06/2015 Azerbaijan to have two non-working days on Ramadan Holiday
- 16/06/2015 Shamakhi Observatory: Earth-approaching asteroid Icarus poses no threat
- 15/06/2015 Education Ministry terminates receiving documents for diploma recognition
- 13/06/2015 Azerbaijan proposes to hold Europe-wide competition among refugees and IDPs
- 11/06/2015 Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 11/06/2015 Tariff Council: First of all, single price of more demanded medicines will be determined
- 11/06/2015 Azerbaijani Educations Ministry completes admission of e-applications for teachers’ replacement
- 10/06/2015 Weather forecast for opening day of first European Games in Baku
- 09/06/2015 Iran warns Saudi Arabia against targeting areas near Iranian embassy
- 09/06/2015 Health Ministry makes public its action plan over first European Games
- 08/06/2015 U.S. Ambassador visits Sumgait Technologies Park
- 08/06/2015 36 C temperature forecasted in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 06/06/2015 Next final examinations to be held at Azerbaijan’s secondary schools today
- 05/06/2015 MBA Program of MBA Department in Azerbaijan State University of Economics is an EFMD member
- 05/06/2015 Speed limit on roads reduced in connection with first European Games
- 05/06/2015 New blood test may reveal complete viral infection history: study