Baku – APA. More people are refugees or internally displaced than at any time since 1994, with the crisis in Syria having emerged as a major new factor in global displacement.
War remains the dominant cause. A full 55 percent of all refugees listed in UNHCR's report come from just five war-affected countries: Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Sudan. The report also charts major new displacement from Mali, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and from Sudan into South Sudan and Ethiopia.
"These truly are alarming numbers. They reflect individual suffering on a huge scale and they reflect the difficulties of the international community in preventing conflicts and promoting timely solutions for them," said António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees and head of UNHCR.
The report highlights worrisome trends, including the rate at which people are being forced into situations of displacement. During 2012 some 7.6 million people became newly displaced, 1.1 million as refugees and 6.5 million as internally displaced people. This translates to a new refugee or internally displaced person every 4.1 seconds.
Also evident is a continuing gap between richer and poorer countries in hosting refugees. Of 10.5 million refugees under UNHCR's mandate -- a further 4.9 million Palestinian refugees fall under the mandate of its sister-agency, the UN Relief and Works Agency), half are hosted by countries that have a per capita GDP of less than US$5,000. In all, developing countries host 81 percent of the world's refugees compared to 70 percent a decade ago.
Children below age 18 make up 46 percent of all refugees. In addition, a record 21,300 asylum applications submitted during 2012 were from children who were unaccompanied or separated from their parents. This is the highest number of unaccompanied or separated children that UNHCR has recorded.
Global displacement for any year is the sum of new displacement, existing unresolved displacement, and subtracting resolved displacement such as people returning home or being allowed to settle permanently outside their home country through citizenship or some other solution.
UNHCR works to help people who are forcibly displaced, including through aid and immediate practical help, and by finding solutions to their plight. The year 2012 saw an end to displacement for 2.7 million people, including 526,000 refugees and 2.1 million internally displaced people. Among those for whom solutions were found are 74,800 people submitted by UNHCR for resettlement in third countries.
Last year saw little change from 2011 in the rankings of the world's major refugee hosting countries. Pakistan continued to host more refugees than any other nation (1.6 million), followed by Iran (868,200) and Germany (589,700).
Afghanistan remained the world's top producer of refugees, a position it has held for 32 years. On average, one out of every four refugees worldwide is Afghan, with 95 percent located in Pakistan or Iran. Somalia, another protracted conflict, was the world's second largest refugee-producing nation during 2012, however there the rate of refugee outflow slowed. Iraqis were the third largest refugee group (746,700 persons), followed by Syrians (471,400).
With people displaced inside their own countries, the figure of 28.8 million for 2012 is the highest level in more than two decades. This includes 17.7 million who are being helped by the UN refugee agency. UNHCR assistance to IDPs is not automatic but occurs at the request of governments. Significant new internal displacement was seen in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Syria.
The Global Trends report is UNHCR's leading annual report on the state of forced displacement. Additional data is published annually in the UN refugee agency's Statistical Yearbooks, and its reports on asylum applications in industrialized nations.
- 28/03/2015 Snowfall expected in Azerbaijan’s mountainous regions tomorrow
- 28/03/2015 Azerbaijan to switch to daylight saving time tonight
- 27/03/2015 Temperature to rise up to 18 C in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 26/03/2015 Temperature to be 19 C in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 23/03/2015 35 cm of snow falls in some areas of Azerbaijan
- 23/03/2015 Number of drug addicts among rural population in Azerbaijan made public
- 21/03/2015 Spring comes to Azerbaijan
- 20/03/2015 Azerbaijan celebrating Novruz holiday
- 19/03/2015 Azerbaijan President, family members meets with 11-year-old Ganja resident Umid Habibov
- 19/03/2015 Azerbaijan private clinic where patient died in nose operation closed
- 19/03/2015 President Ilham Aliyev joins nationwide Novruz festivities in Baku
- 19/03/2015 Azerbaijan to switch to summer time on March 29
- 19/03/2015 UN Secretary-General issues message on 70th anniversary of United Nations
- 18/03/2015 Azerbaijani President reviews ongoing construction of road and transportation infrastructure around the Baku Olympic Stadium
- 18/03/2015 Azerbaijan extends term for provision of unemployed IDPs with monthly average wage
- 18/03/2015 Delegation of Azerbaijani emergency situations ministry attends third UN World Conference in Japan
- 18/03/2015 Azerbaijan post offices will no long register foreigners, stateless persons
- 18/03/2015 Strongest geomagnetic storm in current 11-year solar cycle hits Earth
- 17/03/2015 Azerbaijan celebrates Last Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 16/03/2015 Azerbaijan’s Minister of Emergency Situations receives citizens in Hajigabul - PHOTO
- 16/03/2015 Novruz holiday to be celebrated at UNESCO
- 14/03/2015 US Georgetown University Imam Yahya Hendi visits Guba Genocide Memorial Complex - PHOTO
- 14/03/2015 Weather predicted to change in Azerbaijan
- 14/03/2015 Baku hosting International Scientific Conference of Oncology - PHOTOSESSION
- 13/03/2015 Over 800 thousand Azerbaijani tourists visited Russia last year
- 13/03/2015 Weak magnetic perturbations expected on Earth tomorrow
- 13/03/2015 Number of Azerbaijani population reaches 9.6 mln
- 13/03/2015 Siala Rustamova: Reports about killing of homeless animals are sabotage against Azerbaijan
- 13/03/2015 Dry weather to continue in Baku
- 13/03/2015 UNICEF Regional Director to visit Azerbaijan
- 12/03/2015 Minister of Emergency Situations to receive citizens in Hajigabul on March 16
- 12/03/2015 Azerbaijan changes days of spring break for schoolchildren
- 11/03/2015 Leyla Aliyeva visits several boarding schools
- 10/03/2015 Azerbaijan clarifies issue of insurance to be paid to martyrs’ families, disabled veterans
- 10/03/2015 Today is "Wind Tuesday" of Novruz
- 09/03/2015 Reportage from center caring for stray animals, treating and bringing them to life - VİDEO
- 08/03/2015 Azerbaijan marks March 8 – International Women’s Day
- 07/03/2015 Rainy weather expected in Azerbaijan on March 8-9
- 06/03/2015 Azerbaijan removes ‘Physical training’ subject from higher education programs
- 06/03/2015 Self-driving cars could reduce car crashes by 90 percent