Baku – APA. More people are refugees or internally displaced than at any time since 1994, with the crisis in Syria having emerged as a major new factor in global displacement.
War remains the dominant cause. A full 55 percent of all refugees listed in UNHCR's report come from just five war-affected countries: Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Sudan. The report also charts major new displacement from Mali, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and from Sudan into South Sudan and Ethiopia.
"These truly are alarming numbers. They reflect individual suffering on a huge scale and they reflect the difficulties of the international community in preventing conflicts and promoting timely solutions for them," said António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees and head of UNHCR.
The report highlights worrisome trends, including the rate at which people are being forced into situations of displacement. During 2012 some 7.6 million people became newly displaced, 1.1 million as refugees and 6.5 million as internally displaced people. This translates to a new refugee or internally displaced person every 4.1 seconds.
Also evident is a continuing gap between richer and poorer countries in hosting refugees. Of 10.5 million refugees under UNHCR's mandate -- a further 4.9 million Palestinian refugees fall under the mandate of its sister-agency, the UN Relief and Works Agency), half are hosted by countries that have a per capita GDP of less than US$5,000. In all, developing countries host 81 percent of the world's refugees compared to 70 percent a decade ago.
Children below age 18 make up 46 percent of all refugees. In addition, a record 21,300 asylum applications submitted during 2012 were from children who were unaccompanied or separated from their parents. This is the highest number of unaccompanied or separated children that UNHCR has recorded.
Global displacement for any year is the sum of new displacement, existing unresolved displacement, and subtracting resolved displacement such as people returning home or being allowed to settle permanently outside their home country through citizenship or some other solution.
UNHCR works to help people who are forcibly displaced, including through aid and immediate practical help, and by finding solutions to their plight. The year 2012 saw an end to displacement for 2.7 million people, including 526,000 refugees and 2.1 million internally displaced people. Among those for whom solutions were found are 74,800 people submitted by UNHCR for resettlement in third countries.
Last year saw little change from 2011 in the rankings of the world's major refugee hosting countries. Pakistan continued to host more refugees than any other nation (1.6 million), followed by Iran (868,200) and Germany (589,700).
Afghanistan remained the world's top producer of refugees, a position it has held for 32 years. On average, one out of every four refugees worldwide is Afghan, with 95 percent located in Pakistan or Iran. Somalia, another protracted conflict, was the world's second largest refugee-producing nation during 2012, however there the rate of refugee outflow slowed. Iraqis were the third largest refugee group (746,700 persons), followed by Syrians (471,400).
With people displaced inside their own countries, the figure of 28.8 million for 2012 is the highest level in more than two decades. This includes 17.7 million who are being helped by the UN refugee agency. UNHCR assistance to IDPs is not automatic but occurs at the request of governments. Significant new internal displacement was seen in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Syria.
The Global Trends report is UNHCR's leading annual report on the state of forced displacement. Additional data is published annually in the UN refugee agency's Statistical Yearbooks, and its reports on asylum applications in industrialized nations.
- 23/04/2015 Azerbaijani President allocates AZN 10 mln for new school building construction in Baku
- 23/04/2015 Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry to conduct training exercise at Baku Olympic Stadium
- 22/04/2015 Civil Society Coalition ‘Support for the Baku 2015 first European Games’ created - PHOTOSESSION
- 21/04/2015 IDP project implemented by Korean embassy and SEBA in Fuzuli - PHOTOSESSION - VİDEO
- 21/04/2015 Baku Mayor’s Office: Reports on alleged lease of ‘Sovetsky’ area by Arab businessmen groundless
- 20/04/2015 All lessons, exams in Baku to conclude by late May – minister
- 20/04/2015 Ramiz Rzayev appointed chairman of Azerbaijan Supreme Court
- 20/04/2015 Azerbaijan marks European Immunization Week
- 18/04/2015 Constitutional Court addresses courts over loan debts - VİDEO
- 17/04/2015 NTRC appeal to police against those engaged in illegal cable broadcasting
- 15/04/2015 Ali Hasanov: Official statistics on number of drug addicts in Azerbaijan doesn’t reflect reality
- 15/04/2015 Azerbaijan starts submission of applications for education abroad
- 15/04/2015 Azerbaijan announces competition for vacant civil service positions
- 14/04/2015 UN torture prevention body due back in Azerbaijan 16-24 April
- 13/04/2015 Over AZN 8 mln allocated to up to 19,000 veterans of Great Patriotic War in Azerbaijan
- 13/04/2015 Divorce rate increases in Azerbaijan
- 13/04/2015 Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 13/04/2015 Quake hits Gabala
- 10/04/2015 Russia to host presentation of Baku 2015 European Games
- 10/04/2015 Azerbaijani President expresses dissatisfaction with high prices of medicines in country
- 10/04/2015 Joint Group on Human Rights holds meeting
- 10/04/2015 Baku hosts international conference ‘So-called Armenian genocide: Fiction and Reality’
- 10/04/2015 ANAS announces related specialties on 2nd round of master’s degree examination
- 09/04/2015 Azerbaijani Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources warns of weather change
- 08/04/2015 Azerbaijan announces list of medicines to be given to patients free of charge - LIST - EXCLUSIVE
- 08/04/2015 Minister: Baku circus building should be in city center
- 08/04/2015 Quake hits Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 06/04/2015 ANAMA disarmed 77 UXOs and 12 mines last month in Azerbaijan
- 06/04/2015 Quake hits Azerbaijan's Bilasuvar district
- 05/04/2015 Azerbaijan holding first testing exam
- 04/04/2015 First lunar eclipse of 2015 ends - UPDATED
- 04/04/2015 Azerbaijani scientist's book titled “The 100th anniversary of so-called “armenian genocide”” published in Turkey
- 03/04/2015 Azerbaijan to pay AZN 800 lump-sum financial assistance to veterans of Great Patriotic War
- 03/04/2015 Atlas of Azerbaijani gold fields published
- 02/04/2015 President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking Jamshid Nakhchivanski’s 120th anniversary
- 02/04/2015 Azerbaijani Ministry of Culture and Tourism patents new tourism brand
- 02/04/2015 Minister: Education process, examinations at all educational institutions to end by May 31
- 01/04/2015 Operating schedule of institutions in Baku to be changed during European Games
- 01/04/2015 Tomorrow’s weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 01/04/2015 Baku to host conference ‘Azerbaijan-Turkey fraternity: Canakkale 100’