Baku – APA. More people are refugees or internally displaced than at any time since 1994, with the crisis in Syria having emerged as a major new factor in global displacement.
War remains the dominant cause. A full 55 percent of all refugees listed in UNHCR's report come from just five war-affected countries: Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Sudan. The report also charts major new displacement from Mali, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and from Sudan into South Sudan and Ethiopia.
"These truly are alarming numbers. They reflect individual suffering on a huge scale and they reflect the difficulties of the international community in preventing conflicts and promoting timely solutions for them," said António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees and head of UNHCR.
The report highlights worrisome trends, including the rate at which people are being forced into situations of displacement. During 2012 some 7.6 million people became newly displaced, 1.1 million as refugees and 6.5 million as internally displaced people. This translates to a new refugee or internally displaced person every 4.1 seconds.
Also evident is a continuing gap between richer and poorer countries in hosting refugees. Of 10.5 million refugees under UNHCR's mandate -- a further 4.9 million Palestinian refugees fall under the mandate of its sister-agency, the UN Relief and Works Agency), half are hosted by countries that have a per capita GDP of less than US$5,000. In all, developing countries host 81 percent of the world's refugees compared to 70 percent a decade ago.
Children below age 18 make up 46 percent of all refugees. In addition, a record 21,300 asylum applications submitted during 2012 were from children who were unaccompanied or separated from their parents. This is the highest number of unaccompanied or separated children that UNHCR has recorded.
Global displacement for any year is the sum of new displacement, existing unresolved displacement, and subtracting resolved displacement such as people returning home or being allowed to settle permanently outside their home country through citizenship or some other solution.
UNHCR works to help people who are forcibly displaced, including through aid and immediate practical help, and by finding solutions to their plight. The year 2012 saw an end to displacement for 2.7 million people, including 526,000 refugees and 2.1 million internally displaced people. Among those for whom solutions were found are 74,800 people submitted by UNHCR for resettlement in third countries.
Last year saw little change from 2011 in the rankings of the world's major refugee hosting countries. Pakistan continued to host more refugees than any other nation (1.6 million), followed by Iran (868,200) and Germany (589,700).
Afghanistan remained the world's top producer of refugees, a position it has held for 32 years. On average, one out of every four refugees worldwide is Afghan, with 95 percent located in Pakistan or Iran. Somalia, another protracted conflict, was the world's second largest refugee-producing nation during 2012, however there the rate of refugee outflow slowed. Iraqis were the third largest refugee group (746,700 persons), followed by Syrians (471,400).
With people displaced inside their own countries, the figure of 28.8 million for 2012 is the highest level in more than two decades. This includes 17.7 million who are being helped by the UN refugee agency. UNHCR assistance to IDPs is not automatic but occurs at the request of governments. Significant new internal displacement was seen in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Syria.
The Global Trends report is UNHCR's leading annual report on the state of forced displacement. Additional data is published annually in the UN refugee agency's Statistical Yearbooks, and its reports on asylum applications in industrialized nations.
- 11/12/2013 Seven non-working days declared on New Year and World Azerbaijanis Solidarity Day
- 11/12/2013 OSCE Office in Baku trains judges on anti-money laundering and countering financing of terrorism
- 11/12/2013 Photo exhibition on ICRC activities opened in Baku
- 10/12/2013 Street, where Teze Pir mosque is located, named after Nabat Ashurbeyova
- 10/12/2013 New residential buildings inaugurated for employees of Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergency Situations
- 10/12/2013 Russian Federal Migration Service: 181 Azerbaijani citizens were deported from Russia in 2013 - EXCLUSIVE
- 10/12/2013 Drugs worth $6.7m burnt in Azerbaijan
- 10/12/2013 4-5 schoolchildren charged over illicit drug turnover in Azerbaijan every year
- 10/12/2013 Head of State Commission’s working group: “Azerbaijan doesn’t produce drugs”
- 09/12/2013 Azerbaijani Parliament holds event on December 10 – International Human Rights Day
- 09/12/2013 Human Rights Commissioner: “Jails in Azerbaijan are much better than in a number of European countries”
- 06/12/2013 Ministry of Emergency Situations warn citizens about carbon monoxide poisoning
- 06/12/2013 Unregistered foreign non-profit organizations to be brought to justice in Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 05/12/2013 UN rapporteur: “More than 5 000 girls have fallen victims to early marriages in Azerbaijan this year”
- 05/12/2013 Special information to be required to permit activity of foreign organizations’ representations in Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 04/12/2013 Azerbaijan may envisage criminal responsibility for giving bribes voluntarily - EXCLUSIVE
- 04/12/2013 Rainless weather expected in Azerbaijan’s capital
- 04/12/2013 Azerbaijan and Iraq extends cooperation in education
- 04/12/2013 23 cm of snow falls in northern region of Azerbaijan
- 03/12/2013 Tariff Council warns
- 03/12/2013 Children are provided with social services
- 03/12/2013 Azerbaijan tightens rules and penalties on migrants
- 03/12/2013 World premiere of Cradle to Cosmos exhibition by United States Space & Rocket Center held in Baku
- 03/12/2013 Health Ministry reveals causes of some maternal deaths in Azerbaijan
- 03/12/2013 UN Secretary General: “More than 1 billion of us live with disabilities”
- 02/12/2013 Chairman of State Social Protection Fund appointed
- 02/12/2013 Health Ministry: 9 doctors have been dismissed over maternal death in childbirth in Azerbaijan this year
- 30/11/2013 Azerbaijani people's artist Rafig Huseynov to be operated in Turkey
- 30/11/2013 UN Secretary General: “Much of the world is accelerating progress in responding to HIV”
- 29/11/2013 Azerbaijan’s Minister of Emergency Situations receives citizens in Jalilabad
- 29/11/2013 Salim Muslumov dismisses and expels from meeting chiefs of 14 medical-social expert commissions - PHOTOSESSION
- 29/11/2013 Weather will be abnormally cold in Azerbaijan early December
- 29/11/2013 Azerbaijan develops State Anticancer Program
- 28/11/2013 One of two young unemployed persons going to marry to be provided with job by the state in Azerbaijan
- 28/11/2013 Gahraman Agayev: “If necessary measures are not taken, Guba mass burial site will collapse”
- 28/11/2013 Azerbaijani citizens to be involved in HIV testing
- 27/11/2013 Food prices decline but remain high: World Bank report
- 26/11/2013 Azerbaijan’s Minister of Emergency Situations to receive citizens in Jalilabad
- 26/11/2013 Meteorologists warn about weather expected in Azerbaijan
- 26/11/2013 WB to develop project on improvement of high education in Azerbaijan