Baku – APA. More people are refugees or internally displaced than at any time since 1994, with the crisis in Syria having emerged as a major new factor in global displacement.
War remains the dominant cause. A full 55 percent of all refugees listed in UNHCR's report come from just five war-affected countries: Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Sudan. The report also charts major new displacement from Mali, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and from Sudan into South Sudan and Ethiopia.
"These truly are alarming numbers. They reflect individual suffering on a huge scale and they reflect the difficulties of the international community in preventing conflicts and promoting timely solutions for them," said António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees and head of UNHCR.
The report highlights worrisome trends, including the rate at which people are being forced into situations of displacement. During 2012 some 7.6 million people became newly displaced, 1.1 million as refugees and 6.5 million as internally displaced people. This translates to a new refugee or internally displaced person every 4.1 seconds.
Also evident is a continuing gap between richer and poorer countries in hosting refugees. Of 10.5 million refugees under UNHCR's mandate -- a further 4.9 million Palestinian refugees fall under the mandate of its sister-agency, the UN Relief and Works Agency), half are hosted by countries that have a per capita GDP of less than US$5,000. In all, developing countries host 81 percent of the world's refugees compared to 70 percent a decade ago.
Children below age 18 make up 46 percent of all refugees. In addition, a record 21,300 asylum applications submitted during 2012 were from children who were unaccompanied or separated from their parents. This is the highest number of unaccompanied or separated children that UNHCR has recorded.
Global displacement for any year is the sum of new displacement, existing unresolved displacement, and subtracting resolved displacement such as people returning home or being allowed to settle permanently outside their home country through citizenship or some other solution.
UNHCR works to help people who are forcibly displaced, including through aid and immediate practical help, and by finding solutions to their plight. The year 2012 saw an end to displacement for 2.7 million people, including 526,000 refugees and 2.1 million internally displaced people. Among those for whom solutions were found are 74,800 people submitted by UNHCR for resettlement in third countries.
Last year saw little change from 2011 in the rankings of the world's major refugee hosting countries. Pakistan continued to host more refugees than any other nation (1.6 million), followed by Iran (868,200) and Germany (589,700).
Afghanistan remained the world's top producer of refugees, a position it has held for 32 years. On average, one out of every four refugees worldwide is Afghan, with 95 percent located in Pakistan or Iran. Somalia, another protracted conflict, was the world's second largest refugee-producing nation during 2012, however there the rate of refugee outflow slowed. Iraqis were the third largest refugee group (746,700 persons), followed by Syrians (471,400).
With people displaced inside their own countries, the figure of 28.8 million for 2012 is the highest level in more than two decades. This includes 17.7 million who are being helped by the UN refugee agency. UNHCR assistance to IDPs is not automatic but occurs at the request of governments. Significant new internal displacement was seen in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Syria.
The Global Trends report is UNHCR's leading annual report on the state of forced displacement. Additional data is published annually in the UN refugee agency's Statistical Yearbooks, and its reports on asylum applications in industrialized nations.
- 22/12/2014 Azerbaijani police tighten security measures
- 22/12/2014 Ali Hasanov: Although three years aren’t a long period, the Youth Foundation’s activity can be considered successful
- 22/12/2014 Snowfall predicted in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 20/12/2014 Temperature expected to reach 14 C in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 19/12/2014 Special status for terror victims proposed in Azerbaijan
- 19/12/2014 Education minister: No doctors of sciences under 30 at Azerbaijani universities
- 19/12/2014 Center for Stem Cell proposed to be established in Azerbaijan
- 19/12/2014 Lutfi Zadeh: “Azerbaijan is lucky that it has intelligent and initiative authorities”
- 18/12/2014 Azerbaijan rejects legalization of surrogacy once and for all
- 18/12/2014 Baku State University marks its 95th anniversary
- 17/12/2014 Mehriban Aliyeva visits Ateshgah Temple State Historical Architectural Reserve - PHOTOSESSION
- 17/12/2014 Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding winners of ‘Best Secondary School’ competition
- 16/12/2014 Emergency Situations Ministry dismissed 16 employees this year
- 16/12/2014 331 houses constructed and inaugurated for quake and flood victims in Azerbaijan this year
- 16/12/2014 New administrative building of Medical Center under MES Medical Service inaugurated - PHOTO
- 16/12/2014 Ministry of Emergency Situations holds events on 9th anniversary - PHOTOSESSION
- 16/12/2014 Minister: 675 various emergency and rescue operations carried out in Azerbaijan this year
- 16/12/2014 Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry announces priorities for next year
- 16/12/2014 Azerbaijan registered 10,567 fire accidents over first eleven months of 2014
- 16/12/2014 Solar eclipse predicted on Novruz holiday - EXCLUSIVE
- 16/12/2014 New administrative building of General Directorate of State Examination under MES State Agency for Control over Construction Safety inaugurated - PHOTOSESSION
- 16/12/2014 Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry staff visits Haydar Aliyev’s grave and Alley of Martyrs - PHOTO
- 16/12/2014 Number of Azerbaijani population made public
- 15/12/2014 Khalid Najafov awarded honorary title of "Distinguished Engineer"
- 12/12/2014 Azerbaijan seeking peaceful nuclear enrichment
- 12/12/2014 State bodies put forward proposals regarding facts on sale of an apartment to several citizens
- 11/12/2014 Rainless weather predicted in Azerbaijan
- 09/12/2014 Medical facility inaugurated in Sabirbad
- 08/12/2014 Three judges of Baku Administrative-Economical Court No1 punished, court chairman rebuked
- 08/12/2014 Website of Translation Centre to be viewed in 7 languages
- 08/12/2014 Tomorrow’s weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 08/12/2014 Bahar Muradova: People face more terrible disasters as result of works done in name of democracy in some countries
- 06/12/2014 Rainy weather expected in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 05/12/2014 Book titled “Sarsang SOS: historical and cultural monuments in danger” presented
- 05/12/2014 2308 foreigners violated Azerbaijan’s migration legislation in November
- 05/12/2014 Garib Mammadov: “The Cabinet of Ministers has been appealed for increase of penalties on willful usage of lands suitable for agriculture” - INTERVIEW
- 04/12/2014 Azerbaijani performs unique operation for first time in world
- 03/12/2014 Special institutions for working of disabled persons can be established in Azerbaijan
- 03/12/2014 Actual weather conditions in Azerbaijan announced
- 02/12/2014 Education Minister signs order to implement decision on extension of school year