Baku – APA. More people are refugees or internally displaced than at any time since 1994, with the crisis in Syria having emerged as a major new factor in global displacement.
War remains the dominant cause. A full 55 percent of all refugees listed in UNHCR's report come from just five war-affected countries: Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Sudan. The report also charts major new displacement from Mali, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and from Sudan into South Sudan and Ethiopia.
"These truly are alarming numbers. They reflect individual suffering on a huge scale and they reflect the difficulties of the international community in preventing conflicts and promoting timely solutions for them," said António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees and head of UNHCR.
The report highlights worrisome trends, including the rate at which people are being forced into situations of displacement. During 2012 some 7.6 million people became newly displaced, 1.1 million as refugees and 6.5 million as internally displaced people. This translates to a new refugee or internally displaced person every 4.1 seconds.
Also evident is a continuing gap between richer and poorer countries in hosting refugees. Of 10.5 million refugees under UNHCR's mandate -- a further 4.9 million Palestinian refugees fall under the mandate of its sister-agency, the UN Relief and Works Agency), half are hosted by countries that have a per capita GDP of less than US$5,000. In all, developing countries host 81 percent of the world's refugees compared to 70 percent a decade ago.
Children below age 18 make up 46 percent of all refugees. In addition, a record 21,300 asylum applications submitted during 2012 were from children who were unaccompanied or separated from their parents. This is the highest number of unaccompanied or separated children that UNHCR has recorded.
Global displacement for any year is the sum of new displacement, existing unresolved displacement, and subtracting resolved displacement such as people returning home or being allowed to settle permanently outside their home country through citizenship or some other solution.
UNHCR works to help people who are forcibly displaced, including through aid and immediate practical help, and by finding solutions to their plight. The year 2012 saw an end to displacement for 2.7 million people, including 526,000 refugees and 2.1 million internally displaced people. Among those for whom solutions were found are 74,800 people submitted by UNHCR for resettlement in third countries.
Last year saw little change from 2011 in the rankings of the world's major refugee hosting countries. Pakistan continued to host more refugees than any other nation (1.6 million), followed by Iran (868,200) and Germany (589,700).
Afghanistan remained the world's top producer of refugees, a position it has held for 32 years. On average, one out of every four refugees worldwide is Afghan, with 95 percent located in Pakistan or Iran. Somalia, another protracted conflict, was the world's second largest refugee-producing nation during 2012, however there the rate of refugee outflow slowed. Iraqis were the third largest refugee group (746,700 persons), followed by Syrians (471,400).
With people displaced inside their own countries, the figure of 28.8 million for 2012 is the highest level in more than two decades. This includes 17.7 million who are being helped by the UN refugee agency. UNHCR assistance to IDPs is not automatic but occurs at the request of governments. Significant new internal displacement was seen in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Syria.
The Global Trends report is UNHCR's leading annual report on the state of forced displacement. Additional data is published annually in the UN refugee agency's Statistical Yearbooks, and its reports on asylum applications in industrialized nations.
- 30/07/2015 Specialty choice to universities starts in Azerbaijan
- 28/07/2015 Temperature to rise up to 42 C in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 27/07/2015 Azerbaijan is among countries making significant efforts against sex trafficking in the US Department of State report
- 27/07/2015 Archeological finds unearthed near Azerbaijan’s Barda - PHOTO
- 27/07/2015 Results of last university entrance examination announced in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 27/07/2015 Temperature to reach 40 C in Baku tomorrow
- 25/07/2015 Main State Traffic Police Office: Entrance to Baku to be restricted for cars registered in districts
- 25/07/2015 Azerbaijan to hold entrance exams for 2nd and 3rd specialty groups today
- 24/07/2015 Branches of Azerbaijan Teachers Institute in Mingachevir, Salyan and Sumgayit abolished
- 24/07/2015 Azerbaijani president issues order on establishment of Mingachevir State University
- 24/07/2015 New rector appointed to Azerbaijan State Maritime Academy
- 24/07/2015 Azerbaijani Health Ministry stocks up medicines for symptomatic treatment of coronavirus
- 23/07/2015 Reports of restriction on entry of vehicles to Baku from districts confirmed
- 21/07/2015 CIS Executive Committee chairman: Chemistry Olympiad in Baku - important international event
- 21/07/2015 47th Int’l Chemistry Olympiad opens in Baku - PHOTO
- 19/07/2015 US ambassador joins bike rally “Think Globally, Act Locally” in Baku - PHOTO
- 18/07/2015 Azerbaijan specifies requirements for activities of divisions on state secrets protection
- 16/07/2015 President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 7m for construction of “ASAN xidmət” center in Masalli district
- 16/07/2015 Submission of e-applications on teacher recruitment completed in Azerbaijan
- 15/07/2015 Meteorologists warn of unsteady weather in Azerbaijan in coming days
- 15/07/2015 407 killed in Azerbaijan traffic accidents in H1 of 2015
- 14/07/2015 Copyright Agency: Misappropriation of “tendir” by Armenians is continuation of their theft of intellectual property
- 14/07/2015 President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Baku “ASAN xidmət” center No 5
- 14/07/2015 Azerbaijan to hold entrance exams for 1st and 4th specialty groups today
- 13/07/2015 Institute of Geography: Constructing channel from Aras river to Lake Urmia can be problem for Azerbaijan
- 09/07/2015 Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 08/07/2015 Six private medical centers in Azerbaijan suspend services
- 07/07/2015 Azerbaijan holds second stage of entrance examination to residency
- 03/07/2015 Azerbaijan SSAC announces results of entrance and final exams held on July 2
- 02/07/2015 Azerbaijan to hold university entrance examination on 5th specialty group today
- 01/07/2015 Azerbaijan makes public list of halal and haram animals for Muslims
- 01/07/2015 First deputy chairman of "ASAN Service" Rashad Abbasov dismissed
- 01/07/2015 Duration of traffic restrictions on European Games lanes in Baku extended
- 01/07/2015 UNEC introduces online admission for foreign students
- 30/06/2015 Vice-president of Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva meets Russian students - PHOTOSESSION
- 30/06/2015 Monograph titled “Russia’s policy on Azerbaijan: A comparative analysis of the period from the time of Peter I to Putin” published in Germany
- 30/06/2015 Emergency Situations Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Goychay - PHOTO
- 30/06/2015 July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 30/06/2015 Applicants wishing to study at Baku Islam University to be examined by religious-psychological commission
- 27/06/2015 Traffic movement to be restricted in central streets, avenues of Baku - VİDEO