Recep Tayyip Erdogan: “Ataturk Culture Center in Taksim will also be demolished”
Addressing the congress of Turkey Exporters Assembly, Recep Tayyip Erdogan said those who protest against the government must do it through the law and election.
"Those who want to achieve results beyond the election are acting against the democracy. Everyone must express his position in this country. But no one has the right to hold illegal actions, harm the passers-by and stir up tension in the country," he said.
Prime Minister said the protests are the games of the opposition and some illegal groups.
"All must see this game. The question is not Gezi Park, this is an ideological issue. The project that we are realizing in Taksim square will be continued. Police were there yesterday, they will also be there tomorrow," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the fact of excessive use of tear gas by the police will be investigated, but said it is normal to use tear gas when it is necessary.
Prime Minister stated that as the new project in Taksim will be realized, Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished.
"Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished, an opera house is to be built there. It should be an important center and tourists should view with pride. We want to stop traffic in Taksim, give the square to the people, pedestrians so that everyone can walk there freely," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned leader of Republican People's Party Kemal Kilicdaroglu, who is going to hold a protest in Istanbul. He said it is not a problem if somebody holds a peaceful protest, but if people are instigated to do something, this will be prevented. "If they hold a protest with 20 000 people, we will hold it with 200 000 people. If they gather 100 000 people, we will gather 1 million people. Don't make us do this!"
Related news releases
- 03.05.2016Turkish parliamentary body approves MPs immunity bill
- 03.05.2016Turkey says prevented 85 security 'incidents' since January
- 03.05.2016EU executive to propose visa-free travel for Turks on Wednesday, sources say
- 02.05.2016New cross-border rocket attack kills one in SE Turkey
- 02.05.2016Eleven PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 01.05.2016Clashes, arrests as protesters seek to disrupt German right-wing congress
- 01.05.2016Germany says to host fresh Ukraine talks
- 01.05.2016EU foreign policy chief condemns Iraq parliament attack
- 01.05.2016Merkel Derails Steinmeier's Bid for German Presidency
- 30.04.2016Erdogan wants defense industry to be self-sufficient
- 30.04.2016Turkey to destroy all terror strongholds: PM Davutoglu
- 30.04.2016Istanbul gunfight leaves one man dead, three injured
- 30.04.2016Turkish TV channel ‘Samanyolu’ to close
- 29.04.2016Norway helicopter crash: 11 dead, 2 still missing
- 29.04.2016Next Eurogroup meeting on Greece to take place May 9: Athens
- 29.04.2016US: San Bernardino shooter relatives taken into custody
- 29.04.2016Cameron hails cross-party anti-Brexit alliance
- 28.04.2016UN envoy 'positive' as Yemen peace talks enter second week
- 28.04.2016Police wounded, scores arrested in French labor law protests
- 28.04.2016Don't pressure Britain before EU vote, German foreign minister warns
- 28.04.2016Cavusoglu calls travel warnings against Turkey 'unfair'
- 28.04.2016Refugee crisis to cost Austria gov't 2 bln euros in 2016
- 27.04.2016Paris attacks suspect Abdeslam extradited to France
- 27.04.2016More than 800 "jihadists" arrive in Germany over past four years — Russian General Staff
- 27.04.2016Suicide blast in northwest Turkey kills one, injures 20 - UPDATED
- 27.04.2016Turkey slams ban on Crimean Tatar Mejlis
- 27.04.2016Erdogan urges West to help with refugees
- 27.04.2016Eleven shot dead in Cape Verde including two Spanish citizens
- 26.04.2016Turkey calls for inclusion in US-EU trade deal
- 26.04.2016Terrorist groups aim to isolate Turkey: Turkish PM
- 25.04.2016At least 20 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 25.04.2016Germany to build air base in Turkey for anti-IS campaign
- 25.04.2016Armenians fail to hold rally outside Turkish embassy in Tbilisi
- 25.04.2016Two killed in blast at Bulgarian weapons maker
- 25.04.2016One dead, 26 wounded as rockets hit Turkish town near Syrian border
- 24.04.2016Turkey will take all measures to stop rocket fire on border town: PM
- 24.04.2016No migrant readmission agreement without EU visa liberalization: Turkish PM
- 24.04.2016Tusk: "Turkey is best example for refugee treatment"
- 23.04.2016Thousands protest US-EU deal in Germany
- 23.04.2016Davutoglu, Merkel visit refugees in SE province