Recep Tayyip Erdogan: “Ataturk Culture Center in Taksim will also be demolished”
Addressing the congress of Turkey Exporters Assembly, Recep Tayyip Erdogan said those who protest against the government must do it through the law and election.
"Those who want to achieve results beyond the election are acting against the democracy. Everyone must express his position in this country. But no one has the right to hold illegal actions, harm the passers-by and stir up tension in the country," he said.
Prime Minister said the protests are the games of the opposition and some illegal groups.
"All must see this game. The question is not Gezi Park, this is an ideological issue. The project that we are realizing in Taksim square will be continued. Police were there yesterday, they will also be there tomorrow," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the fact of excessive use of tear gas by the police will be investigated, but said it is normal to use tear gas when it is necessary.
Prime Minister stated that as the new project in Taksim will be realized, Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished.
"Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished, an opera house is to be built there. It should be an important center and tourists should view with pride. We want to stop traffic in Taksim, give the square to the people, pedestrians so that everyone can walk there freely," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned leader of Republican People's Party Kemal Kilicdaroglu, who is going to hold a protest in Istanbul. He said it is not a problem if somebody holds a peaceful protest, but if people are instigated to do something, this will be prevented. "If they hold a protest with 20 000 people, we will hold it with 200 000 people. If they gather 100 000 people, we will gather 1 million people. Don't make us do this!"
Related news releases
- 28.11.2015Turkish police fire water cannon, tear gas at İstanbul march
- 28.11.2015Ankara calls on Turkish citizens to refrain from visiting Russia
- 28.11.2015Top Kurdish lawyer killed in clashes in southeast Turkey
- 28.11.2015France's Hollande wins cooperation not coalition against IS
- 28.11.2015Belgium charges sixth suspect over Paris attacks
- 28.11.2015Merkel under pressure from her own ahead of EU migration summit
- 27.11.2015Erdogan warns Russia ‘not to play with fire’
- 27.11.2015France sees Syrian regime participating in anti-IS fight
- 27.11.2015Erdogan: Downing of Turkish jet with S-400 missile would mean aggression
- 27.11.2015Turkey seeks to calm tensions with Russia after jet downed: PM Davutoglu in UK Times
- 27.11.2015Davutoglu: Partners must unite with Turkey against Daesh
- 27.11.2015Putin: Russia to cooperate with US-led coalition
- 27.11.2015Greek pensioners hold nationwide rallies to protest against cuts
- 27.11.2015UK minister: Consensus 'emerging’ for Syria airstrikes
- 27.11.2015Germany army to support airstrikes against Daesh
- 27.11.2015Turkish president: "We have a strategic partnership with the Russian Federation which is of great importance"
- 27.11.2015Turkey: Top military body discuss downing of Russian jet
- 27.11.2015Putin: We Want to Punish Culprits of Terror Attacks in Russia and France
- 26.11.2015Erdogan offers Putin to meet in Paris November 30
- 26.11.2015Russian ambassador in Ankara summoned to Foreign Ministry
- 26.11.2015France’s Hollande tells Putin time for grand coalition against ISIL
- 26.11.2015Turkish president: "Turkey would have acted differently if it had known jet was Russian"
- 26.11.2015Putin, Hollande begin talks in Kremalin, to focus on Syria, anti-terrorism
- 26.11.2015Erdogan: "I called Head of the Russian State Putin but he never picked up"
- 26.11.2015Paris Attacks Prove Necessary Political Settlement in Syria – Ex-Minister
- 26.11.2015Turkey won't apologize for downing Russian warplane, Erdogan says
- 26.11.2015Erdogan harshly responds to Putin’s accusation
- 26.11.2015NATO chief: New rules needed for European security
- 26.11.2015Erdogan, Hollande discuss downing of Russian jet
- 26.11.2015Turkish military says did not know downed jet was Russian
- 25.11.2015Turkey releases air control warning to Russian jet
- 25.11.2015Turkey increases combat readiness of all types of troops
- 25.11.2015Protecting its airspace 'basic right' of Turkey, says PM
- 25.11.2015Let no one expect us to remain silent about violation of Turkey's borders - Erdogan
- 25.11.2015Turkish Minister for EU Affairs: "Ankara will try to minimize the damage to relations with Moscow after the downing of su-24"
- 25.11.2015Norwegian minister urges Russia-Turkey direct dialogue on downed warplane
- 25.11.2015Erdogan, Obama discuss downing of Russian jet
- 25.11.2015Obama: Syria needs ‘ceasefire’ to resolve crisis
- 25.11.2015Talks gather pace, says Turkish Cypriot leader
- 25.11.2015Shots fired in hostage situation in north of France