President Ilham Aliyev addresses NATO summit
The President noted that over the 20 years of cooperation between Azerbaijan and NATO, our country has turned into a reliable partner contributing to a number of the Alliance’s activities, APA reports quoting AzerTAc.
“Azerbaijan plays an important part in regional security and stability. At the same time, the biggest threat to the security of the region is posed by the policy of aggression pursued by Armenia, which keeps 20 per cent of Azerbaijani territory, including Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts, under occupation. Armenia has carried out a policy of ethnic cleansing against the Azerbaijanis, as a result of which more than a million people have become refugees and internally displaced persons. Four UN Security Council resolutions demand an immediate and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories. Unfortunately, Armenia continues to flout them and the conflict remains unresolved. The conflict must be resolved on the basis of international law and the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan,” President Aliyev said.
He added: “We appreciate NATO’s position on this issue, as well as its unreserved support for the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan voiced at previous summits. We firmly believe that NATO’s commitment to such an important part of international law will be continued in the future. Thus, it will make an explicit contribution to the restoration of justice and prevent the spread of the misperception regarding the possibility of a forcible change of internationally recognized borders.
Azerbaijan is making a comprehensive contribution to ensuring the long-term development of Afghanistan. Azerbaijan is one of the five NATO partners to be contributing to all three focus areas of this summit. Azerbaijan’s military personnel have been part of the ISAF contingent since its early days.”
Noting that extensive training programs are conducted for Afghanistan’s law-enforcement and government officials at different academies in Azerbaijan, the President said:
“A total of 3 million euros has been transferred into the Fund of Trustees of Afghanistan’s National Army, while 1 million euros was spent on strengthening operations. The transit of 40 per cent of non-destructive goods intended for ISAF forces is provided by Azerbaijan. In addition, the construction of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway, which will create important transit opportunities within the framework of the “Resolute Support” program we will join in the future, will be commissioned in the coming months. Coupled with the biggest in the Caspian region Azerbaijan International Seaport, this railway will open up extensive trade and economic opportunities both for the region and Afghanistan. It will also benefit Afghanistan, which is located at the center of the route linking the Far East with Europe.
As a country which has completed a transition from a period of stagnation and crisis in the early years of independence to one of stability and rapid economic development, Azerbaijan is ready to share its experience with Afghanistan and contribute to various reconstruction and investment projects in this country.”
Related news releases
- 28.05.2016UN secretary-general congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 28.05.2016Turkey urges end to Armenian military aggression against Azerbaijan – top official
- 28.05.2016The territorial integrity of Azerbaijan cannot be subject to negotiations - Polad Bulbuloglu.
- 27.05.2016Bulgarian Parliament: "Our MPs did not pay a visit to Armenia"
- 27.05.2016President Ilham Aliyev received Mayor of Cannes
- 27.05.2016Poroshenko: Ukraine stance on Karabakh conflict settlement ‘consistent and resolute’
- 27.05.2016New Turkish PM to visit Azerbaijan on June 3 - UPDATED
- 27.05.2016Azerbaijani President receives OSCE PA Special Representative on South Caucasus
- 27.05.2016Azerbaijani FM receives OSCE PA Special Representative on South Caucasus
- 27.05.2016Heads of several states congratulate Azerbaijan’s president on Republic Day
- 27.05.2016Director-General of UNESCO congratulates Azerbaijani president on National Holiday
- 27.05.2016Israeli PM expected to visit Azerbaijan in 2016
- 27.05.2016US to continue working with Azerbaijan toward Karabakh conflict resolution – Obama
- 27.05.2016Russia, Azerbaijan made sharp turn in their policies over oil prices fall: ambassador
- 27.05.2016Russia's ties with Azerbaijan, Armenia developed differently throughout history, says ambassador
- 27.05.2016British PM’s trade envoy due in Azerbaijan
- 27.05.2016Tension with Turkey doesn’t negatively affect Russia’s relations with Azerbaijan – ambassador
- 27.05.2016OSCE PA special representative arrives in Azerbaijan
- 27.05.2016Spanish MP Jordi Xucla to lead PACE observation mission in re-run parliamentary election in Azerbaijan
- 27.05.2016Azerbaijani embassy in Russia responds to Armenian FM’s remarks
- 27.05.2016Malena Mard: Since gaining independence, Azerbaijan received €580M support from EU
- 27.05.2016May 28 proclaimed as Azerbaijan National Day in some cities of California
- 26.05.2016PACE to send observers for new election on Aghdash constituency
- 26.05.2016US general: Azerbaijan shows great interest in security and stability
- 26.05.2016Azerbaijani president receives chairman of Italian Senate’s European Policies Committee
- 26.05.2016Baku to blacklist Bulgarian MPs for making illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 26.05.2016Turkish president congratulates Azerbaijani counterpart
- 26.05.2016Azerbaijani president receives chairman of Turkey`s Constitutional Court
- 26.05.2016French Foreign Ministry issues statement on release of Khadija Ismayilova
- 26.05.2016Germany, UK welcome release of Khadija Ismayilova
- 26.05.2016EU welcomes Azerbaijani court's decision to release Khadija Ismayilova
- 25.05.2016President of Tajikistan congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 25.05.2016President of Chile congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 25.05.2016Hollande: France to continue efforts for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 25.05.2016PACE President welcomes decision of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court to release Khadija Ismayilova
- 25.05.2016Greenpeace project coordinator in Russia: Metsamor NPP accessible for terrorists
- 25.05.2016Azerbaijani president congratulates Turkey’s new PM
- 25.05.2016Azerbaijani president congratulates Austrian counterpart
- 25.05.2016Azerbaijani diplomat: Chamber of Deputies’ resolution does not reflect official position of Chile - INTERVIEW
- 25.05.2016Russian-Azerbaijani relations stand at high level – Putin