Baku-APA. As Republican lawmakers pushed ahead on Monday with a campaign to scuttle President Barack Obama's healthcare program, a survey suggested that they risk a public backlash should their efforts lead to a government shutdown or a default.
The CNBC poll reported that by a 59-19 percent margin, respondents opposed linking defunding of "Obamacare" to a possible shutdown starting on October 1, or to a failure to raise the government's borrowing authority, meaning Washington may not be able to pay all of its bills by sometime in October or early November.
Eighteen percent were undecided, according to nationwide poll of 800 people conducted by Hart-McInturff. It had a margin of error of 3.4 percentage points.
On Friday Republicans in the House of Representatives passed and sent to the Senate a measure that would make continued funding of the government contingent on defunding Obamacare. The bill passed on a mostly partisan vote of 230-189.
They plan a similar strategy when they take up a measure to raise the debt ceiling, which if defeated could lead to a government default.
The Democratic-controlled Senate will take up the House spending bill later on Monday. Democrats expect to send it back to the House by Sunday with the Obamacare provision stripped out, according to a Senate Democratic aide.
That timetable guarantees a down-to-the wire battle through next weekend, with little time for the House to respond to the Senate action.
The long Republican war against "Obamacare" is at the heart of the clashes ahead, just as important provisions of that law start taking effect on October 1.
The only certainty is that when the dust settles, Obamacare will still be standing. Neither the Senate nor the Democratic president will agree to a bill delaying the program, signed into law by Obama in March, 2010, to provide health coverage for millions of uninsured Americans.
- 28/11/2014 UN Security Council condemns attack on British embassy vehicle in Afghanistan
- 28/11/2014 US judge puts in doubt legality of evidence against Russian pilot Yaroshenko - lawyer
- 28/11/2014 11 beheaded bodies discovered in southwestern Mexico
- 27/11/2014 Protests in Ferguson dwindle, mass arrests at California rallies
- 27/11/2014 Obama to host Jordan's King at White House
- 27/11/2014 10 arrested during Ferguson decision protest in New York
- 27/11/2014 U.S. drone strike in Pakistan kills five suspected militants
- 26/11/2014 Argentine president reappears in public after recovery from ailment
- 26/11/2014 Ferguson protesters rally across US for second day
- 26/11/2014 Gunmen attack graduation party in El Salvador, kill 8
- 25/11/2014 No indictment: Grand jury decides Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson will not face criminal charges in Michael Brown shooting death
- 25/11/2014 Rio Olympic mascot is a yellow cat-like figure
- 25/11/2014 Colombia rebel chief says peace talks suspension destroyed confidence
- 24/11/2014 Hagel resigns as defense secretary
- 24/11/2014 Kerry, Lavrov meet in Vienna
- 22/11/2014 Kerry has phone conversation on Iran nuclear talks with Israel prime minister
- 22/11/2014 U.S. Biden voices support for Ukraine, denounces Russia's Putin
- 22/11/2014 US, IMF to provide financial support to Ukraine — Poroshenko
- 21/11/2014 US vice-president visits Ukraine
- 21/11/2014 Police, protesters clash in Mexico City, injuring 2
- 21/11/2014 US Vice-President arrives on visit in Ukraine
- 21/11/2014 US shooting left 2 kids dead, 2 injured
- 21/11/2014 NATO ready for Russia's increased air activity — secretary general
- 20/11/2014 US Defense Secretary: We’ve never seen an organization like IS
- 20/11/2014 At least 5 dead in massive snow in West New York State
- 20/11/2014 Honduras' Miss World contestant and sister found murdered
- 19/11/2014 US Defense Secretary: Russia’s actions ‘dangerous and irresponsible’
- 19/11/2014 Virginia woman charged in connection to ISIS recruitment
- 19/11/2014 Obama urges Congress to approve Ebola funding
- 19/11/2014 Anti-government demonstration in Haiti turns violent
- 19/11/2014 UN to help Kenya conduct population census
- 18/11/2014 NATO chief calls for closer cooperation with EU
- 18/11/2014 Kerry: US 'not intimidated' by Islamic militants
- 18/11/2014 U.S. 'disappointed' with Iran's IAEA cooperation ahead of nuclear talks
- 17/11/2014 Surgeon hospitalized with Ebola dies in the US
- 16/11/2014 Missing students case threatens Mexico economy, president
- 15/11/2014 Obama says barring Suu Kyi from Myanmar presidency 'doesn't make much sense'
- 14/11/2014 US Under Secretary of State Gottemoeller to visit Russia next week
- 14/11/2014 Kerry meets Netanyahu, Jordan’s king to deescalate al-Quds tensions
- 13/11/2014 U.S. says Israel's new housing plan could "exacerbate" tension in E. Jerusalem