Baku-APA. As Republican lawmakers pushed ahead on Monday with a campaign to scuttle President Barack Obama's healthcare program, a survey suggested that they risk a public backlash should their efforts lead to a government shutdown or a default.
The CNBC poll reported that by a 59-19 percent margin, respondents opposed linking defunding of "Obamacare" to a possible shutdown starting on October 1, or to a failure to raise the government's borrowing authority, meaning Washington may not be able to pay all of its bills by sometime in October or early November.
Eighteen percent were undecided, according to nationwide poll of 800 people conducted by Hart-McInturff. It had a margin of error of 3.4 percentage points.
On Friday Republicans in the House of Representatives passed and sent to the Senate a measure that would make continued funding of the government contingent on defunding Obamacare. The bill passed on a mostly partisan vote of 230-189.
They plan a similar strategy when they take up a measure to raise the debt ceiling, which if defeated could lead to a government default.
The Democratic-controlled Senate will take up the House spending bill later on Monday. Democrats expect to send it back to the House by Sunday with the Obamacare provision stripped out, according to a Senate Democratic aide.
That timetable guarantees a down-to-the wire battle through next weekend, with little time for the House to respond to the Senate action.
The long Republican war against "Obamacare" is at the heart of the clashes ahead, just as important provisions of that law start taking effect on October 1.
The only certainty is that when the dust settles, Obamacare will still be standing. Neither the Senate nor the Democratic president will agree to a bill delaying the program, signed into law by Obama in March, 2010, to provide health coverage for millions of uninsured Americans.
- 24/07/2014 Russia continues to arm, train separatists: Pentagon spokesman
- 24/07/2014 U.S. condemns bomb attacks in Nigeria
- 24/07/2014 U.N. chief alarmed as rockets found in Gaza school go missing
- 23/07/2014 Kerry consoles Netanyahu on flight ban
- 23/07/2014 UN Human Rights Council to meet over situation in occupied Palestinian territory
- 23/07/2014 Sale of French warships to Russia 'completely inappropriate': US
- 23/07/2014 Clinton wants US and EU to increase sanctions on Russia
- 22/07/2014 Interpol begins identification of Malaysian plane crash victims
- 22/07/2014 Explosion levels home, injures 3 in Texas
- 22/07/2014 Obama: Pro-Russia separatists stealing Malaysia Airlines crash evidence
- 21/07/2014 Kerry makes mic gaffe on Gaza
- 21/07/2014 Two Americans killed in Gaza fighting
- 21/07/2014 UN Security Council holds close consultations on situation in Middle East
- 18/07/2014 U.S., German views on spying differ but still firm allies: Merkel
- 18/07/2014 Twelve bodies found in Massachusetts storage unit, prosecutors say
- 18/07/2014 UN Council demands 'full' probe over downed Malaysia jet
- 18/07/2014 UN Security Council opens its meeting on Ukraine with minute of silence for Boeing crash
- 18/07/2014 UN Security Council to hold open meeting on Ukraine Friday morning
- 18/07/2014 3 feared dead in helicopter crash in New Mexico
- 17/07/2014 UN calls tragedy Boeing crash on Russian-Ukrainian border
- 17/07/2014 Putin informs Obama on Malaysian jet crash in eastern Ukraine
- 17/07/2014 UN: Global AIDS Epidemic can be tamed by 2030
- 17/07/2014 U.S. sanctions will take Russia relations to a dead end -Putin
- 16/07/2014 US preparing unilateral sanctions against Russia
- 16/07/2014 US shootings left 2 dead, 2 injured
- 16/07/2014 INTERPOL hands over alleged mastermind of Abuja bombing to Nigeria
- 16/07/2014 UN concerned rockets firing from Lebanon
- 16/07/2014 Kerry calls on Arab nations to press Hamas on ceasefire
- 15/07/2014 U.S., Qatar sign 11-bln-dollar arms deal
- 15/07/2014 UN mission welcomes agreement to break election impasse in Afghanistan: spokesman
- 15/07/2014 UN Security Council authorizes cross-border humanitarian access to Syria
- 13/07/2014 Afghan candidates agree to vote audit: Kerry
- 13/07/2014 UN Security Council calls for Israeli-Palestinian ceasefire
- 13/07/2014 Putin not planning to meet with Poroshenko in Brazil - Russian presidential spokesman
- 12/07/2014 2 Dead, 18 Wounded In Weekend Shootings
- 12/07/2014 US lawmaker warns against China’s territorial claims in Asia
- 11/07/2014 Putin to meet Merkel in Brazil — Russian presidential spokesman
- 11/07/2014 UN human rights head exhorts Israel to end strikes against Palestinian civilians
- 11/07/2014 U.S. President Obama names new envoy to Russia
- 11/07/2014 7 killed in U.S. apartment fire