Baku-APA. As Republican lawmakers pushed ahead on Monday with a campaign to scuttle President Barack Obama's healthcare program, a survey suggested that they risk a public backlash should their efforts lead to a government shutdown or a default.
The CNBC poll reported that by a 59-19 percent margin, respondents opposed linking defunding of "Obamacare" to a possible shutdown starting on October 1, or to a failure to raise the government's borrowing authority, meaning Washington may not be able to pay all of its bills by sometime in October or early November.
Eighteen percent were undecided, according to nationwide poll of 800 people conducted by Hart-McInturff. It had a margin of error of 3.4 percentage points.
On Friday Republicans in the House of Representatives passed and sent to the Senate a measure that would make continued funding of the government contingent on defunding Obamacare. The bill passed on a mostly partisan vote of 230-189.
They plan a similar strategy when they take up a measure to raise the debt ceiling, which if defeated could lead to a government default.
The Democratic-controlled Senate will take up the House spending bill later on Monday. Democrats expect to send it back to the House by Sunday with the Obamacare provision stripped out, according to a Senate Democratic aide.
That timetable guarantees a down-to-the wire battle through next weekend, with little time for the House to respond to the Senate action.
The long Republican war against "Obamacare" is at the heart of the clashes ahead, just as important provisions of that law start taking effect on October 1.
The only certainty is that when the dust settles, Obamacare will still be standing. Neither the Senate nor the Democratic president will agree to a bill delaying the program, signed into law by Obama in March, 2010, to provide health coverage for millions of uninsured Americans.
- 20/09/2014 Australia to tighten anti-terror laws over ISIL threats
- 20/09/2014 U.S., Canadian jets intercept 8 Russian aircraft
- 20/09/2014 U.S. aims to keep Iran atomic talks separate from Islamic State conflict
- 20/09/2014 White House anti-assault campaign uses stars, sports to reach campuses
- 20/09/2014 U.S. won't stand in way of Venezuela's U.N. Security Council bid
- 19/09/2014 Robert Gates: U.S. can't beat Islamic State militants without 'boots on the ground'
- 19/09/2014 Ebola outbreak a threat to world peace, says UN Security Council
- 19/09/2014 Obama’s plan to arm Syrian rebels approved
- 19/09/2014 Canada cancels sanctions against two Russian banks
- 19/09/2014 Eight people killed in mass shooting in Northern Florida
- 19/09/2014 UN chief announces mission to combat Ebola
- 19/09/2014 U.S. Senate approves Obama's plan to train, arm Syrian rebels
- 19/09/2014 Ukrainian president calls for special NATO status
- 18/09/2014 Obama opposed to Scotland independence
- 18/09/2014 Obama to Scotland, UK: Stay united
- 17/09/2014 UN Report: 17,000 children under five die every day
- 17/09/2014 UN: World hunger falls, but 805 million still chronically undernourished
- 17/09/2014 Argentina summons US diplomat over inappropriate comments
- 17/09/2014 Canada expands sanctions against Russia
- 17/09/2014 Kerry says US open to hold talks with Iran on ISIL
- 17/09/2014 U.S., ROK officials discuss DPRK nuke issue, global challenges
- 16/09/2014 UN names DiCaprio a Messenger of Peace
- 16/09/2014 U.S. to send 3,000 military personnel to fight Ebola in West Africa
- 16/09/2014 UN secretary general calls on Moscow, Kiev to continue open dialogue
- 16/09/2014 U.S. prefers a "united" Britain
- 16/09/2014 Kerry says refuses to be drawn into 'back and forth' with Iran
- 16/09/2014 U.S. sees Middle East help fighting IS, Britain cautious after beheading
- 16/09/2014 Hurricane Odile batters Mexico's Baja resorts, sparks looting
- 14/09/2014 Obama condemns IS beheading of British hostage
- 14/09/2014 U.S. Embassy in Uganda tells citizens to seek shelter amid anti-terror operation
- 13/09/2014 2 Pennsylvania state troopers shot, 1 killed
- 13/09/2014 Six FARC rebels killed in Colombian Air Force strike
- 13/09/2014 Obama says need to 'snuff out' militant groups like Islamic State
- 13/09/2014 Kerry opposes Iran role in anti-Islamic State coalition
- 13/09/2014 Ebola toll hits 2,400 as Cuba pledges medics
- 13/09/2014 U.S. intensifies sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 12/09/2014 Turkish reluctance shows difficulty building U.S. alliance against Islamic State
- 12/09/2014 U.S. Central Intelligence Agency publicizes number of IS members
- 12/09/2014 US, French defense ministers discuss coalition strategy against ISIL
- 11/09/2014 US to announce new sanctions against Russia on Friday