Most of Azerbaijan’s losses from oil price drop to be compensated – top official
He made the remarks Feb. 2 during a meeting with representatives of the public in country’s Guba district.
Hasanov said Azerbaijan did not notice the global economic crisis in 2008. However, the second waive of that crisis, which began in 2015, especially the dramatic fall in oil price, is affecting all countries including Azerbaijan.
“Even under such severe circumstances, Azerbaijan’s economy increased by 1.1 percent while growth in the non-oil sector amounted to 8.4 percent. What it means is, Azerbaijan has diversified its economy and ensured its sustainable, consistent and dynamic development, and properly defined a strategy of using all economic and social resources,” the top official noted.
He went on to add that the non-oil sector is today becoming the priority area in Azerbaijan’s economy, already making up 70 percent of GDP. “Nevertheless, energy potential will continue to be used and efforts made in this direction will last. Regardless of its price, oil is the core of Azerbaijan’s relations with the West and the entire world,” said Hasanov.
The top official said that Azerbaijan, as a country located at the center of East-West and North-South transport corridors, has significantly expanded its transport and transit opportunities over the last period.
He noted that upon the commissioning of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway line, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Central Asian countries will form a special circle in the West-East and Europe-Asia relations. “Work is underway to put the railway into full operation.”
The delivery of goods from China into the European market via Central Asia – Caspian Sea – South Caucasus – Turkey – Mediterranean Sea is under test, Hasanov said.
Azerbaijan has already put into operation the largest trade port in the Caspian Sea, the president’s aide said. “The railway will start to operate by late 2016 and after full operation of the same infrastructures in Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia, Azerbaijan will get great incomes which will become extra resources for the future development of the country,” he stressed.
In addition, he said that Azerbaijan is one of the main routes in the transportation from South to North.
According to Hasanov, the delivery of goods from Iran and the Persian Gulf region to sea terminals of Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia through the Caspian Sea ferries in Azerbaijan is one of the tasks lying ahead.
“In short, we are currently working on access to energy, transport and transit resources. Moreover, the work is underway on the Shah Deniz 2 exploitation within the Southern Gas Corridor and the transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Turkish and European markets,” he said.
TANAP is currently being implemented and after a while an export pipeline will be commissioned to deliver Azerbaijani gas to Turkey, Hasanov added.
“Therefore, a large part of the losses as a result of the decline in oil prices will be compensated. As mentioned by the president, we are planning to welcome the 2030 –the post-oil period that will see oil revenues end – with a strong, competitive economic system,” he emphasized.
The top official said the Azerbaijani government is developing a strategy to compensate lost profits in other areas. The strategy includes the Southern Gas Corridor, Azerbaijan’s transit opportunities, human capital, non-oil economy and other resources.
“As is obvious, we have broad capacities and opportunities. The government, under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev, managed to form this capacity thanks to the profits from energy exports, which is a good response to those who alleges inefficient use of oil revenues,” Hasanov completed.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2016Human remains found off Turkmen coast do not belong to missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 21.05.2016Date, agenda announced of last meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s spring session
- 20.05.2016Azerbaijani parliament adopts amnesty bill - UPDATED
- 20.05.2016Mehriban Aliyeva: Those covered by amnesty act should be shown humanism and mercy
- 19.05.2016CEC considers Ilgar Mammadov’s complaint
- 19.05.2016New head of Gazakh district executive authority named
- 19.05.2016New head of Yardimli district executive power appointed
- 19.05.2016For European banks, U.S. assurances on Iran come with asterisks
- 16.05.2016Azerbaijan still faces terrorist threats, says parliament vice-speaker
- 15.05.2016Turkish Defense Minister arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.05.2016New head appointed to Administration of State Historical Architectural Reserve "Icherisheher"
- 11.05.2016President Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector to flourish in 2017-2018
- 10.05.2016Azerbaijani MES holds event marking national leader Heydar Aliyev’s 93rd birthday anniversary
- 10.05.2016Azerbaijani president pays respect to country’s national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2016Azerbaijan marks 93rd birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 07.05.2016Armenians see President Ilham Aliyev as main reason for their defeat - ANALYSIS
- 06.05.2016North Korean leader hails nuclear success in opening congress
- 06.05.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 06.05.2016Italy-Azerbaijan business forum to be held in June
- 05.05.2016US pollster: Over 96% of Azerbaijani population trust President Ilham Aliyev
- 05.05.2016CEC: Ilgar Mammadov loses right to be elected MP
- 04.05.2016Turkish strikes in Syria kill 13 Daesh terrorists
- 30.04.2016US Department of State calls Azerbaijan and Armenia to return to the process of peaceful settlement
- 30.04.2016Azerbaijani President: "2016 is the year of deep economic reforms"
- 29.04.2016Date and agenda of Azerbaijani parliament’s next meeting announced
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijani parliament condemns Armenian provocations
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijani president arrives in Aghsu district
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijan to approve ethics conduct rules for MPs
- 29.04.2016Foreign journalists visit Azerbaijani civilians injured in Armenian shelling
- 28.04.2016Armenian artillery fire destroys 30 houses in Azerbaijan's Aghdam
- 27.04.2016Azerbaijani president approves Open Government Initiative National Action Plan for 2016-2018
- 27.04.2016Azerbaijan replaces judges of a number of courts of first instance - LIST
- 26.04.2016All freedoms secured in Azerbaijan – President Aliyev
- 23.04.2016Efforts underway to extinguish fire on Russian tanker in Caspian, one person missing - UPDATED
- 22.04.2016US Dept of State corrects John Kirby’s comment on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.04.2016Members appointed to Council of State Support to NGOs under President of Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2016Azerbaijan changing rules of detention of citizens by police
- 19.04.2016FIFA chief sees no problems in holding 2022 World Cup in Qatar in winter
- 19.04.2016Azerbaijani parliamentary speaker: April events disproved hopes for fragile ceasefire
- 18.04.2016Armenian president on a visit to occupied Azerbaijani territories