Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
- 19/04/2014 57-nation OSCE plays key Ukraine monitoring role
- 19/04/2014 Erdogan challenges social media in top Turkish court
- 18/04/2014 EU calls Israel to "reverse" new settlement decisions
- 18/04/2014 2 die, 3 missing after fishing boat capsizes off northern Spain
- 18/04/2014 French president vows tougher sanctions over Russia if Geneva talks fail
- 18/04/2014 Runaway spy Snowden is surprise guest on Putin phone-in
- 18/04/2014 OSCE to hold seminars on party-building and environment in Kazakhstan
- 17/04/2014 Erdoğan urges Putin to preserve rights of Crimean Tatars
- 17/04/2014 NATO sends ships to Baltic Sea
- 17/04/2014 Belgian youths detained after robbing American tourist
- 17/04/2014 Polish Foreign Minister: “The Western world will not "sell" Ukraine”
- 17/04/2014 Germany to support NATO's military measures over Ukraine crisis: media
- 17/04/2014 Scottish City Has Worst Life Expectancy in Developed World – Report
- 17/04/2014 Turkey president urges "diplomatic approach" on Ukraine crisis
- 16/04/2014 Bulgarian Energy Minister: "Bulgaria may import gas from Azerbaijan"
- 16/04/2014 Turkey strongly condemns Nigerian bombing
- 15/04/2014 Ukraine resumes reverse gas imports from Europe
- 15/04/2014 EU decides to sign new documents with Azerbaijan
- 15/04/2014 Turkey accuses Twitter of 'tax evasion', calls for local office
- 15/04/2014 Ireland gov't deficit at 7.2 pct of GDP in 2013
- 15/04/2014 Germany sees 'signs' Russia backing militias in Ukraine
- 14/04/2014 Shades of the Cold War at NATO HQ
- 14/04/2014 EU adopts proposal granting Ukraine temporary customs duties reductions
- 13/04/2014 80 people injured in Italy anti-austerity protest
- 13/04/2014 Man escapes from western Norway prison
- 13/04/2014 Italy to extradite mafia linked suspect arrested in Lebanon
- 12/04/2014 UK secretary out of touch with reality for Britons
- 12/04/2014 Germany's Merkel praises Greece, wants joint European response to Putin letter
- 12/04/2014 Amid 'gas war' talk, Russia reassures Europe on supply
- 11/04/2014 BMW recalls almost half million cars worldwide
- 11/04/2014 EU expresses concerns over violence in Sudan's Darfur
- 11/04/2014 Euro zone economy too weak to support sustainable growth
- 11/04/2014 Ahmet Davutoglu discusses Armenian resolution with Kerry
- 11/04/2014 EU's Ashton affirms support for Egypt roadmap, anti-terrorism war
- 11/04/2014 Greek Communists slam PACE’s decision to strip Russia of voting rights
- 10/04/2014 PACE deprives Russia of voting rights
- 10/04/2014 EU to create support group for Ukraine
- 10/04/2014 Election board rejects Turkish opposition call for Ankara re-run
- 10/04/2014 PACE ratifies draft resolution supporting sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine
- 09/04/2014 Heartbleed Bug: Public urged to reset all passwords