Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
- 02/04/2015 French FM returning to Lausanne
- 02/04/2015 Clashes in İstanbul after police kill courthouse hostage-takers
- 01/04/2015 Accession into EEU doesn’t rule out good relations with EU — Merkel
- 01/04/2015 Iran takes pause in talks, no document expected today — European source
- 01/04/2015 Central London fire causes 2,000 people evacuation
- 01/04/2015 Turkish police shoot two attackers outside İstanbul police headquarter, one dead - PHOTOSESSION
- 01/04/2015 EU launches fund to support power projects in East Africa
- 01/04/2015 Lavrov, Zarif claim breakthrough in Iran nuclear talks
- 01/04/2015 Erdogan: Istanbul hostage situation 'no minor issue'
- 01/04/2015 Turkish prosecutor dies after Istanbul courthouse standoff
- 01/04/2015 Turkey hosting 1.7mn Syrian refugees: Minister
- 01/04/2015 Prosecutor heavily injured, two militants killed in İstanbul courthouse hostage shootout
- 31/03/2015 Turkish court acquits hundreds in 'Sledgehammer' case
- 31/03/2015 Turkey imposes media ban on Istanbul hostage crisis
- 31/03/2015 90 percent of electricity restored to Istanbul
- 31/03/2015 PACE spring session agenda made public
- 31/03/2015 Lithuanian delegation not to attend events on 100th anniversary of "Armenian genocide" in Yerevan
- 31/03/2015 Terror attack investigated as version of power failure in Turkey
- 31/03/2015 Slovenian president calls Turkey its 'Muslim ally'
- 30/03/2015 Nicolas Sarkozy's UMP party wins local French elections
- 30/03/2015 French conservatives win key local voting, gov't left loses
- 30/03/2015 Four more Galileo satellites to be launched in 2015: EU
- 29/03/2015 'Death threats' made against BBC's Tony Hall investigated
- 29/03/2015 Full verbatim report of Crashed Airbus A-320’s black box found
- 29/03/2015 Lufthansa lacks doctors to help pilots
- 29/03/2015 Iran, US resume talks in Lausanne
- 29/03/2015 French, German FMs join Iran nuke talks in Lausanne
- 28/03/2015 German FM: Iran nuke talks 'like climbing Swiss Alps'
- 28/03/2015 Hospital confirms to have Germanwings co-pilot as patient
- 28/03/2015 Concluding Meeting on Nuclear Program to Be Held in Geneva
- 28/03/2015 France says will propose UN Security Council draft on Israel
- 27/03/2015 EU weighs new methods to coax Israel back to peace talks
- 27/03/2015 Obama, Erdogan discuss Daesh
- 26/03/2015 Germany to do everything to support investigation: Merkel
- 26/03/2015 Saakashvili supporters hold protest action in Tbilisi - PHOTO
- 26/03/2015 Outer shell of second black box found: Hollande
- 26/03/2015 Greece fails in bid for early cash release, reforms awaited
- 26/03/2015 One dead as blast hits magazine building in Istanbul
- 25/03/2015 Skirmish occur between PKK and Turkish army after a long break
- 25/03/2015 Georgian Dream rating drops