Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
- 29/08/2014 First human trials of Ebola vaccine to start next week
- 29/08/2014 EU expresses concerns over economic confidence falling in August
- 28/08/2014 U.S. air strikes on Syria would face formidable obstacles
- 28/08/2014 Sweden authorizes NATO troops to enter its territory
- 28/08/2014 Recep Tayyip Erdogan officially takes office as 12th Turkish president - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED
- 28/08/2014 Switzerland convenes urgent OSCE Permanent Council meeting on Ukraine
- 28/08/2014 Danish military to combat against ISIL in Iraq
- 28/08/2014 Germany to decide on military aid for Iraq on Sunday: minister
- 28/08/2014 French FM dismisses claims of Turkish support to IS
- 27/08/2014 Putin, Merkel speak for soonest possible termination of bloodshed in Ukraine
- 27/08/2014 Air France urged to halt flights to Ebola-stricken Freetown
- 27/08/2014 Turkey’s ruling party elects Davutoğlu as new chair
- 27/08/2014 EU offered Ukraine and the RF to reach the agreement on gas, without the Stockholm court
- 27/08/2014 Obama says eradicating Islamic State will not be easy
- 27/08/2014 Latvia to hold military exercises, to be joined by 1000 foreign forces
- 27/08/2014 252 arrested during Notting Hill Carnival
- 27/08/2014 NATO chief welcomes last ISAF command handover
- 26/08/2014 Rasmussen: ‘NATO does not recognize the election held in Abkhazia’
- 25/08/2014 Swiss economy minister postpones visit to Russia over situation in Ukraine
- 25/08/2014 France's Hollande ejects rebel minister Montebourg from cabinet
- 25/08/2014 Merkel to back Spanish economy minister to lead Eurogroup
- 25/08/2014 EU expects Minsk meeting to pave way for new gas talks
- 25/08/2014 French PM presents government resignation
- 25/08/2014 EU does not recognize Abkhazia presidential elections
- 25/08/2014 Armenia invited to Erdoğan’s inauguration ceremony
- 24/08/2014 Germany's vice-chancellor backs 'federalization' in Ukraine
- 23/08/2014 Poroshenko, Merkel discuss Ukraine crisis
- 23/08/2014 Obama, Merkel hold phone talks over Russian convoy controversy
- 22/08/2014 UEFA won't recognize matches of Crimean football clubs as Russian
- 22/08/2014 British special service bodies identify killer of American journalist
- 22/08/2014 Ireland announces state funeral arrangements for former prime minister
- 21/08/2014 EU condemns ISIL for murder of U.S. journalist
- 21/08/2014 Militants use British killer as propaganda
- 21/08/2014 German minister accuses Qatar of funding Islamic State fighters
- 21/08/2014 Germany, Italy say prepared to send weapons to Iraq's Kurds
- 21/08/2014 Two shot dead in southern Greece, suspects detained
- 21/08/2014 EU to luanch two more satellites to improve navigation system
- 20/08/2014 Iceland orders evacuation due to possible volcano eruption
- 20/08/2014 Suspected illegal immigrants found in UK truck
- 20/08/2014 Tallinn to host Davis Cup game instead of Kiev