Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
- 19/12/2014 Turkey denies links with alleged 'spies' in Germany
- 19/12/2014 Turkey to start train-equip program for Syrian opposition before March
- 19/12/2014 EU now not to impose new sanctions on Russia – Hollande
- 19/12/2014 EU ready to help if Ukraine reforms - Merkel
- 19/12/2014 Germany arrests 3 Turks on spying allegations
- 19/12/2014 Italy's president Napolitano announces retirement
- 18/12/2014 European Parliament approves EU-Georgia association deal
- 18/12/2014 EU imposes new sanctions against Crimea
- 18/12/2014 New governor appointed to Georgia’s Kvemo Kartli region, densely populated by Azerbaijanis
- 18/12/2014 Pope played crucial role in US-Cuba rapprochement
- 17/12/2014 EU close to its capacity limits to help Ukraine: Juncker
- 17/12/2014 European Parliament votes to recognize Palestine statehood 'in principle'
- 17/12/2014 Expectations from next round of P5+1-Iran talks are realistic - Ryabkov
- 17/12/2014 Iran, P5+1 wrap up 2nd day of expert-level talks in Geneva
- 17/12/2014 Ukrainian president on official visit to Poland
- 16/12/2014 30 arrested for involvement in fatal Street fight
- 16/12/2014 Merkel calls for continuing energy dialogue with Russia
- 16/12/2014 EU's Mogherini 'very surprised' at Erdogan comments on arrests
- 15/12/2014 Turkey dismisses EU criticism of police raids
- 14/12/2014 Turkish minister: Markets, not interventions, should set value of lira
- 14/12/2014 4,500 attend anti-war rally in Berlin
- 13/12/2014 French academics protest in Paris over funding
- 13/12/2014 Merkel condemns racism as Dresden anti-Islam marches grow
- 13/12/2014 Air traffic control failure disrupts flights over Britain
- 13/12/2014 Nobel winner tells US to throw books not bombs at Islamic State
- 13/12/2014 OSCE says no serious violations of east Ukraine truce registered on December 10
- 12/12/2014 Bulgaria proposes gas hub construction on its territory
- 12/12/2014 James Appathurai: This time, NATO won’t begin early cooperation with Russia, like after Georgian war
- 12/12/2014 Former CIA director defends use of rectal rehydration
- 12/12/2014 Cameron in Belfast for N Ireland deal
- 11/12/2014 Germany plans military mission against ISIL
- 11/12/2014 Ruling AKP seeks official state emblem for Turkey
- 11/12/2014 Ireland: 'Early recognition' of Palestine possible
- 11/12/2014 WHO: Ebola virus death toll rises to 6,388
- 11/12/2014 Air fares seen dipping thanks to oil slump
- 10/12/2014 UK Prime Minister condemns CIA torture techniques
- 10/12/2014 Switzerland rejects proposal of Armenian diaspora to erect monument to so-called "Armenian genocide"
- 10/12/2014 Italy commandeers ship carrying 500 migrants
- 10/12/2014 Merkel reelected as head of Germany's ruling party
- 10/12/2014 Metal test to help diagnose breast cancer at early stage: study