Macedonian PM grateful for Hungary's support of Macedonia's EU, NATO ambitions
Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
Related news releases
- 01.12.2015US supports Turkey’s right to self-defense, says Obama
- 01.12.2015France calls on IAEA to disclose "necessary detail" on Iran nuclear report
- 01.12.2015Turkish government wins parliamentary backing
- 01.12.2015EU vows to continue working for peace despite row with Israel
- 30.11.2015Erdogan says ready to resign if claims about Turkey's buying oil from IS are confirmed
- 30.11.2015Putin says he thinks there is understanding with Obama on political settlement in Syria
- 30.11.2015"We did not hold a meeting with the Turkish president," Putin
- 30.11.2015Russia says top Russian and U.S. military officials discuss fight against IS
- 30.11.2015Hours after EU deal, Turkey rounds up 1,300 migrants bound for Greece
- 30.11.2015Putin meets with Obama in Paris
- 30.11.2015NATO fully supports Turkey’s right to defend its airspace
- 30.11.2015PM says no country should ask Turkey to apologize to Russia
- 30.11.201521st UN Climate Change Conference to kick off in Paris
- 29.11.2015Central Turkey rocked by 4.9 magnitude earthquake
- 29.11.2015Migrants clash with Macedonian police on Greek border
- 29.11.2015Belgian police detain suspect in special operation near Mons
- 29.11.2015Turkish citizens targeted in Russia, says embassy
- 28.11.2015Thousands Rally in London Against Cameron's Plan to Bomb Syria
- 28.11.2015Turkish police fire water cannon, tear gas at İstanbul march
- 28.11.2015Ankara calls on Turkish citizens to refrain from visiting Russia
- 28.11.2015Top Kurdish lawyer killed in clashes in southeast Turkey
- 28.11.2015France's Hollande wins cooperation not coalition against IS
- 28.11.2015Belgium charges sixth suspect over Paris attacks
- 28.11.2015Merkel under pressure from her own ahead of EU migration summit
- 27.11.2015Erdogan warns Russia ‘not to play with fire’
- 27.11.2015France sees Syrian regime participating in anti-IS fight
- 27.11.2015Erdogan: Downing of Turkish jet with S-400 missile would mean aggression
- 27.11.2015Turkey seeks to calm tensions with Russia after jet downed: PM Davutoglu in UK Times
- 27.11.2015Davutoglu: Partners must unite with Turkey against Daesh
- 27.11.2015Putin: Russia to cooperate with US-led coalition
- 27.11.2015Greek pensioners hold nationwide rallies to protest against cuts
- 27.11.2015UK minister: Consensus 'emerging’ for Syria airstrikes
- 27.11.2015Germany army to support airstrikes against Daesh
- 27.11.2015Turkish president: "We have a strategic partnership with the Russian Federation which is of great importance"
- 27.11.2015Turkey: Top military body discuss downing of Russian jet
- 27.11.2015Putin: We Want to Punish Culprits of Terror Attacks in Russia and France
- 26.11.2015Erdogan offers Putin to meet in Paris November 30
- 26.11.2015Russian ambassador in Ankara summoned to Foreign Ministry
- 26.11.2015France’s Hollande tells Putin time for grand coalition against ISIL
- 26.11.2015Turkish president: "Turkey would have acted differently if it had known jet was Russian"