Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
- 29/05/2015 73% of UK chickens carry food poisoning bug: Report
- 29/05/2015 EU extends Syria sanctions over violent repression
- 29/05/2015 British PM on two-day European tour to push for reforms
- 29/05/2015 Turkish, Greek Cypriot leaders agree on five-step plan
- 28/05/2015 FIFA head holds emergency meeting amid crisis
- 28/05/2015 Turkish coast guard rescues 192 migrants near Greece
- 27/05/2015 Serbian PM makes historic visit to Albania
- 27/05/2015 Tony Blair steps down as Middle East peace envoy
- 27/05/2015 World soccer rocked as top officials held in U.S., Swiss graft cases
- 27/05/2015 Belgian prosecutor demands access to Skype records in criminal case of Armenian crime group
- 27/05/2015 Dutch cabinet alliance loses majority in senate
- 27/05/2015 13 security personnel accused of smuggling refugees through Vienna Airport
- 26/05/2015 First criminal Libor trial begins in London
- 26/05/2015 Greece says wants to make debt payments but needs aid urgently
- 26/05/2015 German MP linked to Ukraine denied entry to Russia
- 26/05/2015 Forged money banknotes in large quantities seized by police
- 25/05/2015 3 killed in cement factory blast in Ankara
- 24/05/2015 Morsi’s death sentence protested in Paris
- 24/05/2015 Swiss ISIL-affiliate plots to assassinate German president
- 24/05/2015 Turks hold protest in Belgium
- 24/05/2015 German army to recruit first imam
- 22/05/2015 Donald Tusk: "Eastern Partnership is not directed against Russia”
- 22/05/2015 Eastern Partnership program is not a tool of EU enlargement - Merkel
- 21/05/2015 The Eastern Partnership summit started in Riga
- 21/05/2015 Merkel: 'EU's Eastern Partnership not against Russia'
- 21/05/2015 OSCE Chairperson meets with Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- 21/05/2015 The Guardian: EU Eastern Partnership summit will highlight failure of plan to check Russia
- 20/05/2015 Johannes Hahn: "We have formulated a strategic partnership with Azerbaijan"
- 20/05/2015 German train drivers go on strike
- 20/05/2015 Erdogan phones Crimean Tatar leader to mark exile
- 17/05/2015 Germany train crash kills 2, injures at least 20
- 17/05/2015 German FM says EU member states need to share refugee burden
- 16/05/2015 Italy's Coast Guard rescues 2,452 migrants in the Mediterranean
- 15/05/2015 Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus' deputy PM resigns
- 14/05/2015 Senate of Spain rejects bill to recognize so-called Armenian genocide
- 14/05/2015 Erdogan urges Europe to take in more migrants
- 14/05/2015 Vatican says has agreed first treaty with State of Palestine
- 14/05/2015 Three dead, four injured in Italy's fireworks plant blast
- 13/05/2015 7 freeze to death in Turkey
- 13/05/2015 NATO foreign ministers’ meeting kicks off in Antalya