Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
- 19/10/2014 Several people are quarantined because of a possible Ebola virus in Georgia
- 18/10/2014 Turkish Cyprus sends letter to UN to reopen peace talks
- 18/10/2014 Turkish PM: Settlement process is our project
- 18/10/2014 Four men charged with terror plots against police in London
- 18/10/2014 Slovenian economy minister resigns
- 17/10/2014 Turkey launches new strategy for EU accession
- 17/10/2014 Pilots at Lufthansa’s Germanwings protest retirement plan
- 17/10/2014 Italian Prime Minister: Europe must stimulate growth
- 17/10/2014 Ebola risk increases in Portugal if epidemic spreads to Guinea-Bissau
- 17/10/2014 Russia satisfied with Vienna round of P5+1-Iran talks - Russian deputy foreign minister
- 17/10/2014 Spain elected non-permanent member of UN Security Council
- 16/10/2014 UK to use drones against ISIL in Iraq: Hammond
- 16/10/2014 Portuguese police seize 600 kg of cocaine from yacht
- 16/10/2014 Merkel calls for Europe-Asia cooperation to fight IS
- 16/10/2014 2 reported missing after Czech ammunition storehouse blast
- 16/10/2014 U.S., Ukrainian presidents discuss crisis in eastern Ukraine
- 16/10/2014 Zarif, Kerry, Ashton end 7 hour trilateral meeting
- 16/10/2014 Polish army officer arrested over suspicion of spying for Russia
- 16/10/2014 Turkey hopes for progress in EU membership talks
- 16/10/2014 1,000s of UK public sector workers strike over pay
- 15/10/2014 Latvian president charges incumbent PM with forming next government
- 15/10/2014 Turkey wants more "politically active" UN
- 15/10/2014 Turkish minister to call for patience in solution process
- 15/10/2014 France calls on Turkey to open border with Kobani
- 14/10/2014 Ukrainian parliament approves landmark anti-corruption laws
- 14/10/2014 Lavrov and Kerry meet in Paris to discuss a wide range of issues
- 14/10/2014 UN employee infected with Ebola dies in Germany
- 14/10/2014 EU FinMins agree on taxation information exchange
- 14/10/2014 Germany well prepared for Ebola: Health Ministry
- 14/10/2014 Britain to balance anti-IS support to Iraqi, Kurdish forces: FM
- 14/10/2014 Italian Ebola scare turns out false alarm
- 12/10/2014 Europe protests ISIL invasion of Kobani
- 12/10/2014 Turkish parliament to legislate against street violence
- 12/10/2014 Putin, Erdogan discuss bilateral cooperation, IS threats
- 12/10/2014 Lab results show Briton who died in Macedonia not infected with Ebola virus
- 11/10/2014 Britain stages national exercise to test Ebola preparedness
- 11/10/2014 Turkey to support training, equipping Syrian opposition
- 11/10/2014 3 jailed in Finland over participation of terrorist activities abroad
- 11/10/2014 Heavy floods claim one life in Italy
- 11/10/2014 EU expresses concern over Kobane situation