Macedonian PM grateful for Hungary's support of Macedonia's EU, NATO ambitions
Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
Related news releases
- 29.05.2016Lightning strikes in Europe: One killed and many injured - UPDATED
- 29.05.2016Lufthansa suspends Caracas flights as Venezuelan economy struggles
- 28.05.2016At G7, Cameron keeps lid on press pack's 'Brexit' probing
- 28.05.2016Lightning injures several in France and Germany
- 28.05.2016Erdogan condemns US 'support' for Syrian Kurdish groups
- 28.05.201611 hit by lightning in a Paris park, many at child's party
- 28.05.20163 rockets hit Turkey’s SE, injuring 5 people
- 27.05.2016Turkish Cypriot leader calls for peace talks to go on
- 27.05.2016EU has to cope with any outcome of British referendum: Schulz
- 27.05.2016Turkey no longer buying US drones: Turkish official
- 27.05.2016Turkey: Top security meeting focuses on terror measures
- 26.05.2016EU: Hungary must stop discriminating against Roma children
- 26.05.2016French General acquitted over Calais protest
- 26.05.2016Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 26.05.2016Belgian police detain four on suspicion of belonging to terrorist group
- 26.05.2016PKK car bomb attack in SE Turkey martyrs 3 security men
- 25.05.2016Slovakia to take economic issues, migration as priorities during EU presidency
- 25.05.2016Sweden to start publicly funded imam training
- 24.05.2016Erdogan: No EU readmission deal without visa freedom
- 24.05.2016Greece starts moving migrants from squalid border camp
- 24.05.2016Brussels police fire water cannon at anti-austerity protest
- 24.05.2016Georgian PM: I believe Georgia to become NATO member in near future
- 24.05.2016Italy detains 57 active mafia members
- 24.05.2016Over 150 people killed in terrorist attacks in EU in 2015
- 24.05.2016Turkish, Georgian presidents discuss upcoming NATO Summit
- 24.05.2016Turkey’s PM unveils new Cabinet
- 24.05.2016Ban Ki-moon calls for intensified efforts to ensure safety of humanitarian workers
- 24.05.2016Normandy Four supports idea of OSCE police force for Donbass
- 24.05.2016Alexander Van der Bellen elected as Austrian president
- 22.05.2016Turkish president accepts resignation of PM Davutoglu
- 22.05.2016Austria to vote in run-off between far-right and independent
- 22.05.2016Turkey: Ruling AK Party to elect new chairman
- 22.05.2016Italy launches search for missing migrant boat off Sardinia
- 21.05.2016Turkish soldier martyred in southeast
- 21.05.2016Turkish sports minister’s cousin shot dead
- 21.05.2016Azerbaijan closest friend of Turkey – survey
- 21.05.2016Paris attacks suspect refuses to speak at French hearing
- 20.05.2016Erdogan praises consensus on Turkish PM candidate
- 20.05.2016France has tightened Paris airport security since attacks
- 20.05.2016French PM calls for end to labor protests marred by violence