Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
- 23/11/2014 Polish ruling party defies exit polls and wins elections
- 23/11/2014 1 dies, 5 injured in head-on car collision in central Finland
- 23/11/2014 Magnitude 5.7 quake hits eastern Romania
- 23/11/2014 France holds the toughest position in Vienna talks with Iran - source
- 23/11/2014 Biden, Erdogan discuss Syrian regime transition
- 22/11/2014 OSCE set to facilitate holding of parliamentary, presidential elections in Kyrgyzstan
- 22/11/2014 Iran, P5+1 not to have time for consolidating final document by November 24 - source
- 22/11/2014 U.S., Iran discussing new ideas to break nuclear impasse: sources
- 21/11/2014 Merkel aide raps Russia after report on aid to Ukraine rebels
- 21/11/2014 Eight die in helicopter crash in Romania
- 21/11/2014 Zarif, Kerry, Ashton hold trilateral dispute resolving talks
- 20/11/2014 Iran, P5+1 hold 3rd day of nuclear talks in Vienna
- 20/11/2014 3 men charged with terrorism offences in London
- 20/11/2014 Macedonia to conduct checkup on alleged re-export agricultural products from EU to Russia
- 20/11/2014 German government approves deployment of up to 850 military in Afganistan
- 20/11/2014 EU to discuss updating, strengthening trade defense instruments
- 20/11/2014 Britain says not optimistic about Iran nuclear deal by deadline
- 19/11/2014 Spanish parliament backs call for eventual Palestine state
- 19/11/2014 Iran, P5+1 group seek nuclear deal at Vienna talks
- 19/11/2014 Turkey belongs to Europe, says former Finnish president
- 18/11/2014 German FM urges all parties in Ukraine crisis to honor truce deal
- 18/11/2014 France: At least 1 Frenchman in Islamic video
- 18/11/2014 EU proposal could punish Israel for settlements
- 18/11/2014 Turkey's Erdogan: Muslims discovered Americas
- 17/11/2014 EU increases Ebola aid after officials return from Africa
- 17/11/2014 Italy to send 4 tornado aircraft to support anti-ISIS coalition
- 17/11/2014 EU to launch advisory mission for civilian security sector reform in Ukraine
- 15/11/2014 David Bakradze appointed as State Minister of Georgia on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration
- 15/11/2014 Thousands protest in Romania ahead of presidential run-off vote
- 15/11/2014 Strongly tremor kills two in Czech Karvina Coal Mine
- 15/11/2014 EU allies alarmed at Hungary's Kremlin drift
- 14/11/2014 Russian troops hold drills in Serbia
- 14/11/2014 Georgian PM, NATO Secretary General to meet in Brussels
- 14/11/2014 Turkish Interior Ministry condemns attack on US sailors
- 14/11/2014 Slovenian police arrest amphetamine smugglers
- 13/11/2014 Switzerland to tighten economic sanctions on Russia
- 13/11/2014 EU parliament ratifies EU-Moldova association deal
- 13/11/2014 French students protest against police brutality in Paris
- 12/11/2014 France to vote on Palestinian state recognition
- 12/11/2014 Dutch experts find remains at MH17 crash site