Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
- 01/10/2014 Italy’s gas reserves to suffice for three months should Russia suspend supplies
- 01/10/2014 Paris to take decision on Mistral deal with Russia in late October - source
- 01/10/2014 Belarus is against foisting alien political models on countries - foreign minister
- 30/09/2014 France pharmacies join protests at government reform plan
- 30/09/2014 3,072 migrants died in Mediterranean Sea over past nine months
- 30/09/2014 Brazil hostage standoff ends peacefully
- 30/09/2014 Spanish court blocks Catalonia vote
- 30/09/2014 EU climate decisions must be fair to all members: Latvian FM
- 29/09/2014 US: Eleven additional strikes in Iraq and Syria
- 29/09/2014 EU-Ukraine Association Agreement to start applying in two stages: EU
- 29/09/2014 President of Greece on visit to Armenia
- 28/09/2014 Nine policemen freed in wiretapping probe in İzmir
- 28/09/2014 US's Susan Rice meets Syrian opposition at White House
- 27/09/2014 Next round of Iran-P5+1 meeting to be held in Europe - Iranian Foreign Minister
- 26/09/2014 Tbilisi hosts international conference on "The legal consequences of illegal visits to the occupied territories of the Eastern Partnership countries"
- 26/09/2014 Polish president calls for amendment of UN operational rules
- 26/09/2014 No French ground troops in Iraq, says foreign minister
- 26/09/2014 Protest against UK military action in Iraq
- 26/09/2014 Germany sends first weapons shipment to Iraqi Kurds
- 26/09/2014 Ukraine hopes to apply for EU membership by 2020
- 26/09/2014 Slovenia says not to join military operation against IS
- 26/09/2014 NATO aviation drill for dealing with radio interference begins in Bulgaria
- 26/09/2014 EU energy commissioner fearing Russia may use nat gas as weapon
- 25/09/2014 Lavrov, Burkhalter discuss OSCE role in peaceful settlement in Ukraine
- 25/09/2014 France issues travel warning after ISIL threat
- 25/09/2014 Number of Germans joining IS made public
- 25/09/2014 9 PKK rebels surrender to Turkish military
- 25/09/2014 Hollande confirms killing of French hostage in Algeria
- 25/09/2014 Dutch to send fighter jets to strike at IS in Iraq
- 24/09/2014 Georgian Defense Minister on visit to Armenia
- 24/09/2014 Vatican Arrests Former Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski on Paedophilia Charges
- 24/09/2014 Erdogan says Turkey may give military support to U.S.-led coalition
- 23/09/2014 French PM: no negotiations with Algerian kidnappers
- 23/09/2014 Three jihadist suspects arrested at Paris airport
- 23/09/2014 UK does not join US military campaign in Syria
- 21/09/2014 Georgian ex-president Saakashvili’s bank accounts arrested
- 21/09/2014 UK urged to avoid Syria military action
- 20/09/2014 Turkey G20 presidency to help poor countries: Babacan
- 20/09/2014 Former British PM vows to keep pre-Scottish referendum promises
- 20/09/2014 49 Turkish hostages held by ISIS freed