Macedonian PM grateful for Hungary's support of Macedonia's EU, NATO ambitions
Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
Related news releases
- 03.05.2016Turkish parliamentary body approves MPs immunity bill
- 03.05.2016Turkey says prevented 85 security 'incidents' since January
- 03.05.2016EU executive to propose visa-free travel for Turks on Wednesday, sources say
- 02.05.2016New cross-border rocket attack kills one in SE Turkey
- 02.05.2016Eleven PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 01.05.2016Clashes, arrests as protesters seek to disrupt German right-wing congress
- 01.05.2016Germany says to host fresh Ukraine talks
- 01.05.2016EU foreign policy chief condemns Iraq parliament attack
- 01.05.2016Merkel Derails Steinmeier's Bid for German Presidency
- 30.04.2016Erdogan wants defense industry to be self-sufficient
- 30.04.2016Turkey to destroy all terror strongholds: PM Davutoglu
- 30.04.2016Istanbul gunfight leaves one man dead, three injured
- 30.04.2016Turkish TV channel ‘Samanyolu’ to close
- 29.04.2016Norway helicopter crash: 11 dead, 2 still missing
- 29.04.2016Next Eurogroup meeting on Greece to take place May 9: Athens
- 29.04.2016US: San Bernardino shooter relatives taken into custody
- 29.04.2016Cameron hails cross-party anti-Brexit alliance
- 28.04.2016UN envoy 'positive' as Yemen peace talks enter second week
- 28.04.2016Police wounded, scores arrested in French labor law protests
- 28.04.2016Don't pressure Britain before EU vote, German foreign minister warns
- 28.04.2016Cavusoglu calls travel warnings against Turkey 'unfair'
- 28.04.2016Refugee crisis to cost Austria gov't 2 bln euros in 2016
- 27.04.2016Paris attacks suspect Abdeslam extradited to France
- 27.04.2016More than 800 "jihadists" arrive in Germany over past four years — Russian General Staff
- 27.04.2016Suicide blast in northwest Turkey kills one, injures 20 - UPDATED
- 27.04.2016Turkey slams ban on Crimean Tatar Mejlis
- 27.04.2016Erdogan urges West to help with refugees
- 27.04.2016Eleven shot dead in Cape Verde including two Spanish citizens
- 26.04.2016Turkey calls for inclusion in US-EU trade deal
- 26.04.2016Terrorist groups aim to isolate Turkey: Turkish PM
- 25.04.2016At least 20 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 25.04.2016Germany to build air base in Turkey for anti-IS campaign
- 25.04.2016Armenians fail to hold rally outside Turkish embassy in Tbilisi
- 25.04.2016Two killed in blast at Bulgarian weapons maker
- 25.04.2016One dead, 26 wounded as rockets hit Turkish town near Syrian border
- 24.04.2016Turkey will take all measures to stop rocket fire on border town: PM
- 24.04.2016No migrant readmission agreement without EU visa liberalization: Turkish PM
- 24.04.2016Tusk: "Turkey is best example for refugee treatment"
- 23.04.2016Thousands protest US-EU deal in Germany
- 23.04.2016Davutoglu, Merkel visit refugees in SE province