Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
- 05/08/2015 Georgia paint warehouse fire kills 2, injures 5 - UPDATED
- 04/08/2015 Turkish soldier killed in rocket attack in southeast
- 04/08/2015 High-ranking Swedish diplomat declared persona non grata in Russia
- 04/08/2015 Two more servicemen killed in Turkey
- 04/08/2015 PKK terrorists carried out armed attacks in 5 different regions of Turkey
- 04/08/2015 Explosion occurs on Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum gas pipeline
- 04/08/2015 Cranes fall on houses in Netherlands
- 03/08/2015 Saudi Arabian king leaves France after holiday controversy
- 03/08/2015 Russia urges OSCE nations to follow principles of Helsinki Final Act
- 03/08/2015 Turkey determined to continue operations: Erdogan
- 02/08/2015 Moldova’s new prime minister calls for a reset in relations with Russia
- 02/08/2015 Explosion occurred in front of Turkey's ruling party office
- 02/08/2015 Turkish President meets Pakistani PM
- 02/08/2015 Turkey's coalition talks approach final phase
- 01/08/2015 New interior minister appointed in Georgia
- 01/08/2015 Turkish lieutenant killed as mine planted by terrorists explodes
- 01/08/2015 Ahmet Davutoğlu: We will fight ISIL together until their armies and their ideology are defeated completely
- 01/08/2015 Merkel rumored to be seeking fourth term as chancellor
- 01/08/2015 Bin Laden relatives reportedly killed in private jet crash in Britain - UPDATED
- 01/08/2015 Selahattin Demirtas’s brother wounded in Turkish air strikes against PKK targets
- 01/08/2015 Turkey 'to continue anti-terror effort'
- 31/07/2015 Hungary opens border crossing with Serbia for legal traffic
- 31/07/2015 Greek PM defends controversial 'Plan B' for euro zone exit
- 31/07/2015 Three militants killed in eastern Turkey
- 31/07/2015 Another HDO co-leader facing investigation in Turkey
- 31/07/2015 Ahmet Davutoglu: Operations to continue until armed groups leave Turkey
- 31/07/2015 2 police officers, 2 terrorists killed in armed attack on police office in Turkey
- 31/07/2015 Greece's Tsipras asserts control over party with congress vote
- 31/07/2015 PKK members fired on railway workers in eastern Turkey, one killed
- 31/07/2015 Czech Republic to consider tightening border controls over refugees
- 30/07/2015 Moldova forms new government
- 30/07/2015 PKK terrorists attempt to blow up freight train in Turkey’s Kars
- 30/07/2015 Georgia joins sanctions against Russia
- 30/07/2015 Three Turkish soldiers killed in PKK attack - VİDEO
- 30/07/2015 U.S. urges Turkey to slow down operations against PKK
- 30/07/2015 Turkey: Two terrorists killed in army operation in east
- 30/07/2015 Military convoy attacked in Turkey's east
- 29/07/2015 Turkey: Soldier injured in gun attack
- 29/07/2015 Turkey: HDP 'used' to kill off Kurdish solution process
- 29/07/2015 Telman Ismayilov’s “Mardan Palace" hotel to be confiscated