Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
- 08/03/2014 Tatars flee Crimea for western Ukraine
- 07/03/2014 Suspected Russian spyware Turla targets Europe, U.S.
- 07/03/2014 Turkish president rejects Facebook, YouTube ban over wiretaps
- 07/03/2014 Top lawmaker: Russia would welcome Crimea
- 07/03/2014 U.S., Bulgaria, Romania to hold joint naval drill in Black Sea: statement
- 07/03/2014 Turkey’s former Chief of Staff İlker Başbuğ released from jail after top court ruling
- 07/03/2014 Ahmet Davutoglu: “Crimea should remain as an autonomy under Ukraine”
- 07/03/2014 Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- 07/03/2014 Istanbul prosecutors prepare new indictment for Gezi Park protests
- 07/03/2014 Erdoğan signals gov't may shut down Facebook, YouTube after local polls
- 07/03/2014 Macedonia schedules early elections for April 27
- 06/03/2014 EU Freezes Talks With Russia on Cooperation Agreement, Visas
- 06/03/2014 Several injured in Italy's train crash
- 06/03/2014 More U.S. jets on NATO patrol in Baltics
- 05/03/2014 EU freezes assets of 18 Ukrainians
- 05/03/2014 EU going to provide €11bn financial aid to Ukraine
- 05/03/2014 Oil prices drop as Ukraine worries ease
- 05/03/2014 EU Plans No Sanctions on Russia for Now – Russian Envoy
- 04/03/2014 EU energy commissioner says European Union needs Russian gas
- 04/03/2014 EU to help Ukraine pay Russian gas bill
- 04/03/2014 Romanian senate president resigns
- 04/03/2014 Russian foreign minister arrives in Madrid
- 04/03/2014 Hungarian PM calls for negotiations on Ukraine
- 04/03/2014 Turkey scrambles eight jets to intercept Russian surveillance aircraft
- 04/03/2014 Poland calls for emergency NATO meeting
- 04/03/2014 Turkey: We will always stand by Crimean Tatars
- 04/03/2014 Romanian PM announces new cabinet
- 04/03/2014 Media censorship and intimidation of journalists in Ukraine must stop, says OSCE media representative
- 04/03/2014 Russian and German foreign ministers begin talks in Geneva
- 03/03/2014 EU FMs may consider freezing visa dialogue with Russia over Ukrainian crisis
- 02/03/2014 Turks protest against corruption in Ankara
- 02/03/2014 Chairman in Office urges participating States to refrain from unilateral actions and to engage in a meaningful dialogue
- 02/03/2014 Ashton to visit Ukraine on March 5, to talk to Russia foreign minister soon
- 02/03/2014 EU's Ashton urges Russia not to dispatch troops to Ukraine
- 01/03/2014 France calls for political solution to Ukraine tension
- 01/03/2014 EU to remove 11 IRISL managers from sanctions list
- 01/03/2014 Italy's cabinet approves decree to avoid Rome default
- 01/03/2014 Electronic discussion resource for G8 Youth Summit opens in Internet
- 01/03/2014 Austria freezes bank account of Yanukovych
- 28/02/2014 EU ready to sign association agreement with Ukraine: trade chief