Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
- 31/10/2014 French government criticized over protester death
- 31/10/2014 Suspicious envelope scare in Ankara
- 31/10/2014 Turkey hopeful for solution of Kurdish issue
- 30/10/2014 Spanish State Council votes to appeal against Catalan consultation
- 30/10/2014 Sweden officially recognizes Palestinian state
- 30/10/2014 British jets intercept Latvian plane over southern England
- 30/10/2014 Ukraine, Russia try again to forge gas deal at Brussels talks
- 30/10/2014 Turkey announces new national action plan to join EU
- 30/10/2014 Hopes fade for 18 trapped Turkish miners
- 29/10/2014 Hungarians stage Budapest protest against internet tax
- 29/10/2014 Italian police arrest 13 for mafia links extending to Milan Expo
- 29/10/2014 Turkey vows support for soldiers protecting exclave
- 29/10/2014 Twenty-eight EU ambassadors uphold sanctions against Russia
- 28/10/2014 Rescue teams push hard to save trapped miners
- 26/10/2014 Turkey's Davutoglu calls for unity against terrorism
- 25/10/2014 Italians strike against gov't policies
- 25/10/2014 Ahmet Davutoglu appoints journalist of Armenian origin, Etyen Mahçupyan Senior Advisor
- 25/10/2014 Heavy rains bring life to a standstill in Athens
- 25/10/2014 8 people detained in southeastern Latvian city for fixing football matches
- 24/10/2014 Merkel, Putin discuss Ukraine situation over phone
- 24/10/2014 Estonia report firmly holds Russian airspace "violation"
- 24/10/2014 EU summit approves new European Commission members
- 24/10/2014 Pipeline explosion in Germany killed one, injured 26
- 24/10/2014 EU asks Italy to clarify 2015 budget
- 23/10/2014 Danish MPs urge suspension of Turkey's EU accession bid
- 23/10/2014 Barroso urges EU member states to invest more, stick to reforms
- 23/10/2014 Danish court frees 10 accused of funding PKK
- 22/10/2014 OSCE Permanent Council extends its mission’s mandate on Russia-Ukraine border
- 22/10/2014 Germany includes Georgia in list of dangerous countries to visit
- 22/10/2014 Pope Francis to make three-day visit to Turkey
- 22/10/2014 15 new members elected to UN Human Rights Council
- 21/10/2014 Britain sends drones to fly over Syria
- 21/10/2014 Lithuania, Sweden call for EU unity over security challenges
- 21/10/2014 Lufthansa strike cancels some 1500 flights
- 21/10/2014 EU prepares possible coordinator on Ebola, says foreign policy chief
- 21/10/2014 Germany, France agree to boost investment
- 21/10/2014 Turkish crime rate increases 400 percent in 20 years
- 21/10/2014 Polish foreign minister: EU is not planning to soften sanctions against Russia
- 20/10/2014 Visiting Merkel praises Slovakia´s effort to help Ukraine with gas
- 20/10/2014 Estonia concerned over suspected submarine off Stockholm: report