Foreign Ministry: Escalation of tension on border with Azerbaijan by Armenia – provocation
Baku. Turbat Baghirova – APA. Attempts of Armenia to escalate tension on the border with Azerbaijan on the eve of the continuation of the 70th session of the UN General Assembly which focuses on the issues of international peace and security and during the talks between the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in New York with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs are provocative, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmat Hajiyev told APA on Sept. 25.
He said these provocations aim to impede the negotiation process.
The Armenian armed forces, in violation of its obligations under the international humanitarian law, continue purposeful actions against the civilian population. “As a result of this kind of Armenian provocation on September 23, resident of Kemerli village of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district Esmira Dursunova was wounded.”
By stationing its firing points in and around civilian objects and making attempts to turn its civilians into a target with return fire from Azerbaijani armed forces, Armenia has chosen the inhumane tactics, the spokesman said. “The tactics, which is typical for terrorists and uses civilian targets and population as a cover, in the first place is a war crime against the citizens of Armenia,” he added.
Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligations under the Geneva conventions and additional protocols, the spokesman said. “Unlike Armenia, Azerbaijan’s obligations under the Geneva Conventions and additional protocols are an integral part of compulsory education-training program,” he noted.
Protection of civilians, helping women, children and the elderly are high moral values that belong to the people and soldiers of Azerbaijan, Hajiyev said.
The policy of ethnic cleansing against the Azerbaijani people, the genocide in Khojaly, shelling of Azerbaijani civilians along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border and even the military use of its own citizens as a cover and the object of provocations are an integral of the military and inhumane crimes of Armenia’s military and political leadership, he noted.
Hajiyev said that the reason for the violation of the ceasefire and the aggravation of the situation along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border is a continuation of the policy of aggression and occupation of Armenia against Azerbaijan.
“Armenia, as an occupying country, bears full responsibility for the continuation of aggression and occupation against Azerbaijan and the escalation of tension,” Hajiyev completed.
Related news releases
- 31.05.2016Another meeting on Karabakh conflict settlement may be held in June – Azerbaijani FM
- 31.05.2016Russian political analyst: No referendum can be held in Nagorno-Karabakh without Azerbaijan's consent
- 30.05.2016Armenian soldier dies in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 30.05.2016Speaker of Albanian Parliament: Nagorno-Karabakh is integral part of Azerbaijan
- 29.05.2016Andrzej Kasprzyk: Work on expanding Office of PR CiO well advanced
- 28.05.2016Gudrat Hasanguliyev raises objection to Armenian MP's speech at NATO PA meeting
- 28.05.2016Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents may meet in France
- 28.05.2016Time to replace status quo in Karabakh conflict with efforts that can bring peace – OSCE PA
- 28.05.2016Azerbaijani President: "We will never allow a second Armenian state was created on our lands"
- 27.05.2016ICRC representatives visit Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenians
- 27.05.2016Ambassador: Whoever says Russia can settle Karabakh conflict in 15-20 minutes ‘is mistaken’
- 27.05.2016Armenia holding military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 27.05.2016Elkhan Suleymanov: ACSDA project enjoys great importance irrespective of White House response
- 27.05.2016Armenian Gen admits territories liberated by Azerbaijan highly strategic
- 26.05.2016Azerbaijan: Ceasefire aimed at creating conditions for comprehensive, substantive talks
- 26.05.2016To sign any document impossible without Nagorno-Karabakh’s participation in negotiations – Armenian FM
- 26.05.2016Russia doing everything possible to resolve Karabakh conflict – Foreign Ministry
- 26.05.2016Armenia impedes sending of UNESCO fact-finding mission to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 26.05.2016Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs on May 31
- 26.05.2016Armenian FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in early June
- 26.05.2016Azerbaijani FM: Vienna meeting created favorable conditions for substantial talks
- 26.05.2016Over 30 houses destroyed by Armenians in Terter, Aghdam rebuilt
- 26.05.2016Armenian soldier dies in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 25.05.2016Former Armenian scout: Areas retaken by Azerbaijan are of great tactical, operative importance
- 25.05.2016Reports on "statement" spread in UN by so-called regime in Armenia - another fabrication
- 25.05.2016Azerbaijani FM ready to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs – Foreign Ministry
- 24.05.2016OSCE PA Special Representative calls for parliamentary support to Nagorno-Karabakh peace resolution
- 24.05.2016Warlick: No immediate plans to visit region
- 24.05.2016Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA annual session
- 24.05.2016Iranian supreme leader’s rep: Nagorno-Karabakh belongs to Azerbaijan
- 24.05.2016Armenia deploys persons unfit for service to frontline
- 23.05.2016Grad missile engine, unexploded artillery shell found at front line
- 23.05.2016Armenian troops set fire to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 23.05.2016Azerbaijani FM: Status quo in Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict may lead to severe military clashes
- 23.05.2016President Ilham Aliyev: Armenia used chemical weapon against Azerbaijani population
- 20.05.2016U.S. Vice president and Armenian president discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict by phone
- 20.05.2016Russia to continue assisting Karabakh conflict settlement, Medvedev says
- 20.05.2016Chairman of the PACE: "The Nagorno Karabakh conflict, generally all conflicts must be solved within the territorial integrity of the countries"
- 19.05.2016No decisive step taken for release of Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenians
- 19.05.2016German MP says he expects OSCE MG to solve Karabakh conflict