Erdogan: Why did Russia enter Georgia and Ukraine?
As many as 18 IS militants were killed in the attack on the Bashiqa camp in Nineveh province, about 140 kilometers (90 miles) from the Turkish border, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told reporters, Today’s Zaman reported.
There was no casualty among the Turkish troops, he said.
Erdogan said the incident vindicated a Turkish decision to deploy troops in the camp and reiterated that the Turkish deployment had been in coordination with the Iraqi government despite recent Iraqi protests against the Turkish military presence.
Erdogan said the Iraqi position has changed after Turkey’s relations with Russia deteriorated following the downing of a Russian jet by Turkish F-16s near the border with Syria in late November and criticized the Russian military involvement in Syria.
“Russia says it is in Syria because it was invited by the Syrian government. The Syrian government is not a legitimate government,” he said. “Why did you send forces to Georgia then? Because you were invited? Did you send forces to Ukraine because you were invited there?”
Erdogan also rejected that Russian forces are fighting IS in Syria. “Turkmens say Russia bombs their villages. Russia is not fighting against IS,” he said.
“Yesterday, I received Bayirbucak Turkmens, they said that their village is under constant bombardment. Unfortunately, this is the situation, but they are trying to mislead the world community,” he noted.
Related news releases
- 30.05.2016Between 700-900 migrants may have died at sea this week: NGOs
- 29.05.2016Lightning strikes in Europe: One killed and many injured - UPDATED
- 29.05.2016Lufthansa suspends Caracas flights as Venezuelan economy struggles
- 28.05.2016At G7, Cameron keeps lid on press pack's 'Brexit' probing
- 28.05.2016Lightning injures several in France and Germany
- 28.05.2016Erdogan condemns US 'support' for Syrian Kurdish groups
- 28.05.201611 hit by lightning in a Paris park, many at child's party
- 28.05.20163 rockets hit Turkey’s SE, injuring 5 people
- 27.05.2016Turkish Cypriot leader calls for peace talks to go on
- 27.05.2016EU has to cope with any outcome of British referendum: Schulz
- 27.05.2016Turkey no longer buying US drones: Turkish official
- 27.05.2016Turkey: Top security meeting focuses on terror measures
- 26.05.2016EU: Hungary must stop discriminating against Roma children
- 26.05.2016French General acquitted over Calais protest
- 26.05.2016Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 26.05.2016Belgian police detain four on suspicion of belonging to terrorist group
- 26.05.2016PKK car bomb attack in SE Turkey martyrs 3 security men
- 25.05.2016Slovakia to take economic issues, migration as priorities during EU presidency
- 25.05.2016Sweden to start publicly funded imam training
- 24.05.2016Erdogan: No EU readmission deal without visa freedom
- 24.05.2016Greece starts moving migrants from squalid border camp
- 24.05.2016Brussels police fire water cannon at anti-austerity protest
- 24.05.2016Georgian PM: I believe Georgia to become NATO member in near future
- 24.05.2016Italy detains 57 active mafia members
- 24.05.2016Over 150 people killed in terrorist attacks in EU in 2015
- 24.05.2016Turkish, Georgian presidents discuss upcoming NATO Summit
- 24.05.2016Turkey’s PM unveils new Cabinet
- 24.05.2016Ban Ki-moon calls for intensified efforts to ensure safety of humanitarian workers
- 24.05.2016Normandy Four supports idea of OSCE police force for Donbass
- 24.05.2016Alexander Van der Bellen elected as Austrian president
- 22.05.2016Turkish president accepts resignation of PM Davutoglu
- 22.05.2016Austria to vote in run-off between far-right and independent
- 22.05.2016Turkey: Ruling AK Party to elect new chairman
- 22.05.2016Italy launches search for missing migrant boat off Sardinia
- 21.05.2016Turkish soldier martyred in southeast
- 21.05.2016Turkish sports minister’s cousin shot dead
- 21.05.2016Azerbaijan closest friend of Turkey – survey
- 21.05.2016Paris attacks suspect refuses to speak at French hearing
- 20.05.2016Erdogan praises consensus on Turkish PM candidate
- 20.05.2016France has tightened Paris airport security since attacks