The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
- 30/05/2015 Sarkozy renames UMP party 'The Républicains' in bid for fresh start
- 30/05/2015 Belgium, Netherlands investigate claims of Germany spying for US
- 30/05/2015 Explosion in Tirana injures two
- 30/05/2015 Lithuania, Poland pledge to help in Ukraine's European integration
- 30/05/2015 Hollande, Merkel urge Putin to rapidly implement Minsk peace deal
- 29/05/2015 Italian navy finds 11 dead EU-bound migrants, saves hundreds
- 29/05/2015 Spain agrees to permanently host US military base
- 29/05/2015 British PM visits Germany to push EU reforms
- 29/05/2015 73% of UK chickens carry food poisoning bug: Report
- 29/05/2015 EU extends Syria sanctions over violent repression
- 29/05/2015 British PM on two-day European tour to push for reforms
- 29/05/2015 Turkish, Greek Cypriot leaders agree on five-step plan
- 28/05/2015 FIFA head holds emergency meeting amid crisis
- 28/05/2015 Turkish coast guard rescues 192 migrants near Greece
- 27/05/2015 Serbian PM makes historic visit to Albania
- 27/05/2015 Tony Blair steps down as Middle East peace envoy
- 27/05/2015 World soccer rocked as top officials held in U.S., Swiss graft cases
- 27/05/2015 Belgian prosecutor demands access to Skype records in criminal case of Armenian crime group
- 27/05/2015 Dutch cabinet alliance loses majority in senate
- 27/05/2015 13 security personnel accused of smuggling refugees through Vienna Airport
- 26/05/2015 First criminal Libor trial begins in London
- 26/05/2015 Greece says wants to make debt payments but needs aid urgently
- 26/05/2015 German MP linked to Ukraine denied entry to Russia
- 26/05/2015 Forged money banknotes in large quantities seized by police
- 25/05/2015 3 killed in cement factory blast in Ankara
- 24/05/2015 Morsi’s death sentence protested in Paris
- 24/05/2015 Swiss ISIL-affiliate plots to assassinate German president
- 24/05/2015 Turks hold protest in Belgium
- 24/05/2015 German army to recruit first imam
- 22/05/2015 Donald Tusk: "Eastern Partnership is not directed against Russia”
- 22/05/2015 Eastern Partnership program is not a tool of EU enlargement - Merkel
- 21/05/2015 The Eastern Partnership summit started in Riga
- 21/05/2015 Merkel: 'EU's Eastern Partnership not against Russia'
- 21/05/2015 OSCE Chairperson meets with Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- 21/05/2015 The Guardian: EU Eastern Partnership summit will highlight failure of plan to check Russia
- 20/05/2015 Johannes Hahn: "We have formulated a strategic partnership with Azerbaijan"
- 20/05/2015 German train drivers go on strike
- 20/05/2015 Erdogan phones Crimean Tatar leader to mark exile
- 17/05/2015 Germany train crash kills 2, injures at least 20
- 17/05/2015 German FM says EU member states need to share refugee burden