The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
- 24/10/2014 Merkel, Putin discuss Ukraine situation over phone
- 24/10/2014 Estonia report firmly holds Russian airspace "violation"
- 24/10/2014 EU summit approves new European Commission members
- 24/10/2014 Pipeline explosion in Germany killed one, injured 26
- 24/10/2014 EU asks Italy to clarify 2015 budget
- 23/10/2014 Danish MPs urge suspension of Turkey's EU accession bid
- 23/10/2014 Barroso urges EU member states to invest more, stick to reforms
- 23/10/2014 Danish court frees 10 accused of funding PKK
- 22/10/2014 OSCE Permanent Council extends its mission’s mandate on Russia-Ukraine border
- 22/10/2014 Germany includes Georgia in list of dangerous countries to visit
- 22/10/2014 Pope Francis to make three-day visit to Turkey
- 22/10/2014 15 new members elected to UN Human Rights Council
- 21/10/2014 Britain sends drones to fly over Syria
- 21/10/2014 Lithuania, Sweden call for EU unity over security challenges
- 21/10/2014 Lufthansa strike cancels some 1500 flights
- 21/10/2014 EU prepares possible coordinator on Ebola, says foreign policy chief
- 21/10/2014 Germany, France agree to boost investment
- 21/10/2014 Turkish crime rate increases 400 percent in 20 years
- 21/10/2014 Polish foreign minister: EU is not planning to soften sanctions against Russia
- 20/10/2014 Visiting Merkel praises Slovakia´s effort to help Ukraine with gas
- 20/10/2014 Estonia concerned over suspected submarine off Stockholm: report
- 20/10/2014 Ebola coordinator to be appointed this week
- 20/10/2014 EU bans jet fuel supplies to Syria
- 19/10/2014 Several people are quarantined because of a possible Ebola virus in Georgia
- 18/10/2014 Turkish Cyprus sends letter to UN to reopen peace talks
- 18/10/2014 Turkish PM: Settlement process is our project
- 18/10/2014 Four men charged with terror plots against police in London
- 18/10/2014 Slovenian economy minister resigns
- 17/10/2014 Turkey launches new strategy for EU accession
- 17/10/2014 Pilots at Lufthansa’s Germanwings protest retirement plan
- 17/10/2014 Italian Prime Minister: Europe must stimulate growth
- 17/10/2014 Ebola risk increases in Portugal if epidemic spreads to Guinea-Bissau
- 17/10/2014 Russia satisfied with Vienna round of P5+1-Iran talks - Russian deputy foreign minister
- 17/10/2014 Spain elected non-permanent member of UN Security Council
- 16/10/2014 UK to use drones against ISIL in Iraq: Hammond
- 16/10/2014 Portuguese police seize 600 kg of cocaine from yacht
- 16/10/2014 Merkel calls for Europe-Asia cooperation to fight IS
- 16/10/2014 2 reported missing after Czech ammunition storehouse blast
- 16/10/2014 U.S., Ukrainian presidents discuss crisis in eastern Ukraine
- 16/10/2014 Zarif, Kerry, Ashton end 7 hour trilateral meeting