The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
- 08/03/2014 Tatars flee Crimea for western Ukraine
- 07/03/2014 Suspected Russian spyware Turla targets Europe, U.S.
- 07/03/2014 Turkish president rejects Facebook, YouTube ban over wiretaps
- 07/03/2014 Top lawmaker: Russia would welcome Crimea
- 07/03/2014 U.S., Bulgaria, Romania to hold joint naval drill in Black Sea: statement
- 07/03/2014 Turkey’s former Chief of Staff İlker Başbuğ released from jail after top court ruling
- 07/03/2014 Ahmet Davutoglu: “Crimea should remain as an autonomy under Ukraine”
- 07/03/2014 Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- 07/03/2014 Istanbul prosecutors prepare new indictment for Gezi Park protests
- 07/03/2014 Erdoğan signals gov't may shut down Facebook, YouTube after local polls
- 07/03/2014 Macedonia schedules early elections for April 27
- 06/03/2014 EU Freezes Talks With Russia on Cooperation Agreement, Visas
- 06/03/2014 Several injured in Italy's train crash
- 06/03/2014 More U.S. jets on NATO patrol in Baltics
- 05/03/2014 EU freezes assets of 18 Ukrainians
- 05/03/2014 EU going to provide €11bn financial aid to Ukraine
- 05/03/2014 Oil prices drop as Ukraine worries ease
- 05/03/2014 EU Plans No Sanctions on Russia for Now – Russian Envoy
- 04/03/2014 EU energy commissioner says European Union needs Russian gas
- 04/03/2014 EU to help Ukraine pay Russian gas bill
- 04/03/2014 Romanian senate president resigns
- 04/03/2014 Russian foreign minister arrives in Madrid
- 04/03/2014 Hungarian PM calls for negotiations on Ukraine
- 04/03/2014 Turkey scrambles eight jets to intercept Russian surveillance aircraft
- 04/03/2014 Poland calls for emergency NATO meeting
- 04/03/2014 Turkey: We will always stand by Crimean Tatars
- 04/03/2014 Romanian PM announces new cabinet
- 04/03/2014 Media censorship and intimidation of journalists in Ukraine must stop, says OSCE media representative
- 04/03/2014 Russian and German foreign ministers begin talks in Geneva
- 03/03/2014 EU FMs may consider freezing visa dialogue with Russia over Ukrainian crisis
- 02/03/2014 Turks protest against corruption in Ankara
- 02/03/2014 Chairman in Office urges participating States to refrain from unilateral actions and to engage in a meaningful dialogue
- 02/03/2014 Ashton to visit Ukraine on March 5, to talk to Russia foreign minister soon
- 02/03/2014 EU's Ashton urges Russia not to dispatch troops to Ukraine
- 01/03/2014 France calls for political solution to Ukraine tension
- 01/03/2014 EU to remove 11 IRISL managers from sanctions list
- 01/03/2014 Italy's cabinet approves decree to avoid Rome default
- 01/03/2014 Electronic discussion resource for G8 Youth Summit opens in Internet
- 01/03/2014 Austria freezes bank account of Yanukovych
- 28/02/2014 EU ready to sign association agreement with Ukraine: trade chief