The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
- 05/03/2015 Poland ratifies EU-Ukraine association agreement
- 05/03/2015 Russia can play key role in resolving Libya crisis — Italian PM
- 05/03/2015 Council of Europe extends sanctions against former Ukrainian president
- 05/03/2015 Germany against long-term isolation of Russia, FM says
- 05/03/2015 At least 10 dead as migrant boat capsizes off Sicily
- 04/03/2015 Merkel says EU ready with tougher sanctions if Minsk deal violated
- 04/03/2015 Denmark spends $25 bln in Feb to keep peg, reserves hit new high
- 04/03/2015 Hollande plans first ever visit by French president to Cuba
- 04/03/2015 If granted fair trial, Snowden will return, lawyer says
- 04/03/2015 German FM says Iran is serious to arrive at nuclear deal
- 03/03/2015 Russia to explore ways of softening food embargo for Greece and Hungary
- 02/03/2015 John Kerry: I had frank discussion with Lavrov on Ukraine, Syria and Iran
- 01/03/2015 Northern League holds anti-immigration, anti-EU rally in Rome
- 01/03/2015 German police detains several people due to violence threats
- 28/02/2015 Turkey’s literary giant, Yasar Kemal, dies age 92
- 28/02/2015 Turkish PM welcomes call for disarmament of PKK
- 28/02/2015 Greece will not request third bailout: PM
- 27/02/2015 Truce efforts continue in E. Ukraine despite new deaths
- 27/02/2015 50 school children escape burning bus in Austria
- 27/02/2015 Germany’s Foreign Ministry notes transition of Ukrainian conflict to quieter phase
- 26/02/2015 Russia, Ukraine confirm plans to hold trilateral gas talks in Brussels on March 2
- 26/02/2015 Athens: 'Unbinding reforms' give Greece an advantage
- 26/02/2015 Lavrov, Mogherini discuss implementation of Minsk agreements, energy cooperation
- 26/02/2015 European Commission invites Russia, Ukraine to gas talks in Brussels
- 26/02/2015 NATO Commander: Russia has transferred more than 1,000 pieces of Russian military equipment into Ukraine
- 26/02/2015 3 Al Jazeera journalists arrested for flying drone in Paris
- 26/02/2015 68 arrested for human trafficking, fraud in Denmark
- 25/02/2015 Greek Cypriots sign military deal with Russia
- 25/02/2015 Hundreds protest Austrian Islam bill in Vienna
- 25/02/2015 Polish FM calls for EU ‘automatic’ sanctions against Russia
- 25/02/2015 Gunman shoots 8 dead in Czech town
- 25/02/2015 France to reveal plan regarding its Muslim community
- 25/02/2015 Britain to deploy personnel to train Ukrainian forces
- 25/02/2015 French president calls for release of hostage in Yemen "as soon as possible"
- 24/02/2015 Normandy Quartet meeting in Paris ends - UPDATED
- 24/02/2015 New U.S. defense chief hints little change in Islamic State strategy
- 23/02/2015 U.S. sends A-10 Thunderbolt II Aircraft to Europe amid ISIS and Russian threat
- 21/02/2015 Belarus seeks Latvia's help in efforts to expand contact with EU
- 21/02/2015 Greek PM 'certain' euro zone will back loan, Merkel demands more
- 21/02/2015 Swedish journalist missing in Syrian-Turkish border area