The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
- 29/03/2015 'Death threats' made against BBC's Tony Hall investigated
- 29/03/2015 Full verbatim report of Crashed Airbus A-320’s black box found
- 29/03/2015 Lufthansa lacks doctors to help pilots
- 29/03/2015 Iran, US resume talks in Lausanne
- 29/03/2015 French, German FMs join Iran nuke talks in Lausanne
- 28/03/2015 German FM: Iran nuke talks 'like climbing Swiss Alps'
- 28/03/2015 Hospital confirms to have Germanwings co-pilot as patient
- 28/03/2015 Concluding Meeting on Nuclear Program to Be Held in Geneva
- 28/03/2015 France says will propose UN Security Council draft on Israel
- 27/03/2015 EU weighs new methods to coax Israel back to peace talks
- 27/03/2015 Obama, Erdogan discuss Daesh
- 26/03/2015 Germany to do everything to support investigation: Merkel
- 26/03/2015 Saakashvili supporters hold protest action in Tbilisi - PHOTO
- 26/03/2015 Outer shell of second black box found: Hollande
- 26/03/2015 Greece fails in bid for early cash release, reforms awaited
- 26/03/2015 One dead as blast hits magazine building in Istanbul
- 25/03/2015 Skirmish occur between PKK and Turkish army after a long break
- 25/03/2015 Georgian Dream rating drops
- 25/03/2015 Two Japanese citizens, two Mexican nationals likely among passengers of crashed Airbus
- 25/03/2015 Portuguese PM encourages more youths to receive higher education
- 25/03/2015 FM: Turkish-origin lady dead in France air crash
- 25/03/2015 Turkish PM stresses focus on missile, space technology
- 24/03/2015 12 suspects arrested in anti-mafia operation in southern Italy
- 24/03/2015 First black box found at Airbus A320 crash site in French Alps
- 24/03/2015 Hungarian FM unaware that Russia plans to end embargo
- 24/03/2015 Debris from plane that crashed in France found
- 24/03/2015 Passenger plane crashes in France
- 24/03/2015 Turkish president calls on PKK to lay down weapons to advance in peace process
- 24/03/2015 Tsipras, Merkel display goodwill, little sign of debt progress
- 23/03/2015 All military actions have to stop in Libya, says EU foreign affairs chief
- 19/03/2015 European negotiator says framework accord with Iran unlikely soon
- 19/03/2015 EU won't lift sanctions on Russia until Minsk conditions met: Merkel
- 19/03/2015 Greek PM demands EU stop 'unilateral actions' as tensions flare
- 19/03/2015 Police cars torched at anti-austerity protest in Germany
- 18/03/2015 Pakistan says 34 militants killed in 'precise' strikes in northwest
- 18/03/2015 Armenians fail to organize exhibition on so-called Armenian genocide at UNESCO headquarters
- 18/03/2015 Discontent emerges among Armenians in Hungary
- 18/03/2015 Serbia, Albania put 14 suspected terrorists on trial
- 18/03/2015 Albanian police seize 30 kg TNT
- 18/03/2015 NATO command center in Bulgaria to number 40 people: official