Death toll in sunk boat off Italy could top 200, dozens still missing: reports
The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
Related news releases
- 30.11.201521st UN Climate Change Conference to kick off in Paris
- 29.11.2015Central Turkey rocked by 4.9 magnitude earthquake
- 29.11.2015Migrants clash with Macedonian police on Greek border
- 29.11.2015Belgian police detain suspect in special operation near Mons
- 29.11.2015Turkish citizens targeted in Russia, says embassy
- 28.11.2015Thousands Rally in London Against Cameron's Plan to Bomb Syria
- 28.11.2015Turkish police fire water cannon, tear gas at İstanbul march
- 28.11.2015Ankara calls on Turkish citizens to refrain from visiting Russia
- 28.11.2015Top Kurdish lawyer killed in clashes in southeast Turkey
- 28.11.2015France's Hollande wins cooperation not coalition against IS
- 28.11.2015Belgium charges sixth suspect over Paris attacks
- 28.11.2015Merkel under pressure from her own ahead of EU migration summit
- 27.11.2015Erdogan warns Russia ‘not to play with fire’
- 27.11.2015France sees Syrian regime participating in anti-IS fight
- 27.11.2015Erdogan: Downing of Turkish jet with S-400 missile would mean aggression
- 27.11.2015Turkey seeks to calm tensions with Russia after jet downed: PM Davutoglu in UK Times
- 27.11.2015Davutoglu: Partners must unite with Turkey against Daesh
- 27.11.2015Putin: Russia to cooperate with US-led coalition
- 27.11.2015Greek pensioners hold nationwide rallies to protest against cuts
- 27.11.2015UK minister: Consensus 'emerging’ for Syria airstrikes
- 27.11.2015Germany army to support airstrikes against Daesh
- 27.11.2015Turkish president: "We have a strategic partnership with the Russian Federation which is of great importance"
- 27.11.2015Turkey: Top military body discuss downing of Russian jet
- 27.11.2015Putin: We Want to Punish Culprits of Terror Attacks in Russia and France
- 26.11.2015Erdogan offers Putin to meet in Paris November 30
- 26.11.2015Russian ambassador in Ankara summoned to Foreign Ministry
- 26.11.2015France’s Hollande tells Putin time for grand coalition against ISIL
- 26.11.2015Turkish president: "Turkey would have acted differently if it had known jet was Russian"
- 26.11.2015Putin, Hollande begin talks in Kremalin, to focus on Syria, anti-terrorism
- 26.11.2015Erdogan: "I called Head of the Russian State Putin but he never picked up"
- 26.11.2015Paris Attacks Prove Necessary Political Settlement in Syria – Ex-Minister
- 26.11.2015Turkey won't apologize for downing Russian warplane, Erdogan says
- 26.11.2015Erdogan harshly responds to Putin’s accusation
- 26.11.2015NATO chief: New rules needed for European security
- 26.11.2015Erdogan, Hollande discuss downing of Russian jet
- 26.11.2015Turkish military says did not know downed jet was Russian
- 25.11.2015Turkey releases air control warning to Russian jet
- 25.11.2015Turkey increases combat readiness of all types of troops
- 25.11.2015Protecting its airspace 'basic right' of Turkey, says PM
- 25.11.2015Let no one expect us to remain silent about violation of Turkey's borders - Erdogan