The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
- 25/07/2014 EU expands sanction list over Ukraine issue
- 25/07/2014 Poland cancels cultural year with Russia
- 25/07/2014 President bemoans ECHR judgment on CIA torture in Poland
- 24/07/2014 France unfreezes 11 mln euros aid to Gaza amid Israeli military operation
- 24/07/2014 EU ambassadors approve expansion of blacklist for Russia, Ukraine
- 24/07/2014 EU consider sanctions against Russia
- 24/07/2014 Lithuania to join euro area and single supervisory mechanism: ECB
- 24/07/2014 Bavarian interior ministry bans neo-Nazi network
- 23/07/2014 France heads defense council on Middle East, Ukraine crises
- 23/07/2014 Bulgarian gov't resigns on eve of early elections
- 22/07/2014 Six people killed in road accident in central France
- 22/07/2014 Italy continues struggle with migrants issue
- 22/07/2014 Heavy rains hit northern Slovakia
- 22/07/2014 Germany's richest man Karl Albrecht dead
- 22/07/2014 OSCE monitors get full access to Malaysian Boeing crash site
- 21/07/2014 Turkey declares three-day mourning for Gaza
- 21/07/2014 Georgia sacks seven ministers
- 21/07/2014 Russian, French presidents emphasize importance of objective investigation of plane crash in Ukraine
- 20/07/2014 18 migrants found dead south of Italy: media
- 20/07/2014 Azerbaijani Army servicemen meet traffic accident: one died, 3 injured
- 19/07/2014 Lavrov, Kerry call for int’l investigation of Boeing-777 crash in Ukraine
- 19/07/2014 Malaysian airliner shot down by Russia, Erdoğan says
- 19/07/2014 Rebel leader gives bizarre account of plane crash
- 18/07/2014 Merkel sees no signs of de-escalation of Ukrainian conflict
- 18/07/2014 Angela Merkel: “Germany support Israel”
- 18/07/2014 UK officially requests UN Security Council extraordinary session over Ukraine
- 18/07/2014 At least 154 Dutch citizens killed in Ukraine air disaster
- 17/07/2014 Latvian FM calls for changes in format of Eastern Partnership
- 17/07/2014 Merkel: EU summit to discuss new sanctions against Russia
- 17/07/2014 Swedish court upholds arrest warrant for Assange
- 16/07/2014 PKK terrorists kidnap 2 girls in southeastern Turkey
- 16/07/2014 Turkish, Russian Deputy FMs discuss issue of Crimean Tatars
- 16/07/2014 Britain names new foreign secretary
- 15/07/2014 Germany, France help Serbia to fight organized crime
- 15/07/2014 Brussels’ sanctions decision to become test for entire EU — Poland's FM
- 15/07/2014 Ukraine, Russia, OSCE to hold talks with separatists in Ukraine
- 15/07/2014 Serbian FM presents 2015 OSCE Chairmanship priorities
- 15/07/2014 German FM says two-state solution key to end crisis in Gaza
- 15/07/2014 William Hague quits as British foreign secretary
- 14/07/2014 P5+1 reach single position in nuclear talks with Iran: Germany