The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
- 01/11/2014 Human remains found at Boeing crash site in eastern Ukraine - Dutch PM
- 01/11/2014 EU ready to call off anti-Russian sanctions if situation stabilizes in Ukraine — official
- 01/11/2014 Turkish President: "Armenia and the Armenian diaspora have not demonstrated common sense"
- 31/10/2014 Europe won't recognize vote in eastern Ukraine, Merkel tells Putin
- 31/10/2014 NATO allies not to recognize planned elections in Donetsk and Luhansk
- 31/10/2014 French government criticized over protester death
- 31/10/2014 Suspicious envelope scare in Ankara
- 31/10/2014 Turkey hopeful for solution of Kurdish issue
- 30/10/2014 Spanish State Council votes to appeal against Catalan consultation
- 30/10/2014 Sweden officially recognizes Palestinian state
- 30/10/2014 British jets intercept Latvian plane over southern England
- 30/10/2014 Ukraine, Russia try again to forge gas deal at Brussels talks
- 30/10/2014 Turkey announces new national action plan to join EU
- 30/10/2014 Hopes fade for 18 trapped Turkish miners
- 29/10/2014 Hungarians stage Budapest protest against internet tax
- 29/10/2014 Italian police arrest 13 for mafia links extending to Milan Expo
- 29/10/2014 Turkey vows support for soldiers protecting exclave
- 29/10/2014 Twenty-eight EU ambassadors uphold sanctions against Russia
- 28/10/2014 Rescue teams push hard to save trapped miners
- 26/10/2014 Turkey's Davutoglu calls for unity against terrorism
- 25/10/2014 Italians strike against gov't policies
- 25/10/2014 Ahmet Davutoglu appoints journalist of Armenian origin, Etyen Mahçupyan Senior Advisor
- 25/10/2014 Heavy rains bring life to a standstill in Athens
- 25/10/2014 8 people detained in southeastern Latvian city for fixing football matches
- 24/10/2014 Merkel, Putin discuss Ukraine situation over phone
- 24/10/2014 Estonia report firmly holds Russian airspace "violation"
- 24/10/2014 EU summit approves new European Commission members
- 24/10/2014 Pipeline explosion in Germany killed one, injured 26
- 24/10/2014 EU asks Italy to clarify 2015 budget
- 23/10/2014 Danish MPs urge suspension of Turkey's EU accession bid
- 23/10/2014 Barroso urges EU member states to invest more, stick to reforms
- 23/10/2014 Danish court frees 10 accused of funding PKK
- 22/10/2014 OSCE Permanent Council extends its mission’s mandate on Russia-Ukraine border
- 22/10/2014 Germany includes Georgia in list of dangerous countries to visit
- 22/10/2014 Pope Francis to make three-day visit to Turkey
- 22/10/2014 15 new members elected to UN Human Rights Council
- 21/10/2014 Britain sends drones to fly over Syria
- 21/10/2014 Lithuania, Sweden call for EU unity over security challenges
- 21/10/2014 Lufthansa strike cancels some 1500 flights
- 21/10/2014 EU prepares possible coordinator on Ebola, says foreign policy chief