The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
- 18/12/2014 European Parliament approves EU-Georgia association deal
- 18/12/2014 EU imposes new sanctions against Crimea
- 18/12/2014 New governor appointed to Georgia’s Kvemo Kartli region, densely populated by Azerbaijanis
- 18/12/2014 Pope played crucial role in US-Cuba rapprochement
- 17/12/2014 EU close to its capacity limits to help Ukraine: Juncker
- 17/12/2014 European Parliament votes to recognize Palestine statehood 'in principle'
- 17/12/2014 Expectations from next round of P5+1-Iran talks are realistic - Ryabkov
- 17/12/2014 Iran, P5+1 wrap up 2nd day of expert-level talks in Geneva
- 17/12/2014 Ukrainian president on official visit to Poland
- 16/12/2014 30 arrested for involvement in fatal Street fight
- 16/12/2014 Merkel calls for continuing energy dialogue with Russia
- 16/12/2014 EU's Mogherini 'very surprised' at Erdogan comments on arrests
- 15/12/2014 Turkey dismisses EU criticism of police raids
- 14/12/2014 Turkish minister: Markets, not interventions, should set value of lira
- 14/12/2014 4,500 attend anti-war rally in Berlin
- 13/12/2014 French academics protest in Paris over funding
- 13/12/2014 Merkel condemns racism as Dresden anti-Islam marches grow
- 13/12/2014 Air traffic control failure disrupts flights over Britain
- 13/12/2014 Nobel winner tells US to throw books not bombs at Islamic State
- 13/12/2014 OSCE says no serious violations of east Ukraine truce registered on December 10
- 12/12/2014 Bulgaria proposes gas hub construction on its territory
- 12/12/2014 James Appathurai: This time, NATO won’t begin early cooperation with Russia, like after Georgian war
- 12/12/2014 Former CIA director defends use of rectal rehydration
- 12/12/2014 Cameron in Belfast for N Ireland deal
- 11/12/2014 Germany plans military mission against ISIL
- 11/12/2014 Ruling AKP seeks official state emblem for Turkey
- 11/12/2014 Ireland: 'Early recognition' of Palestine possible
- 11/12/2014 WHO: Ebola virus death toll rises to 6,388
- 11/12/2014 Air fares seen dipping thanks to oil slump
- 10/12/2014 UK Prime Minister condemns CIA torture techniques
- 10/12/2014 Switzerland rejects proposal of Armenian diaspora to erect monument to so-called "Armenian genocide"
- 10/12/2014 Italy commandeers ship carrying 500 migrants
- 10/12/2014 Merkel reelected as head of Germany's ruling party
- 10/12/2014 Metal test to help diagnose breast cancer at early stage: study
- 10/12/2014 Greece asks the European Commission to speed up the approval of the transaction by the gas company DESFA
- 09/12/2014 EU Energy Commissioner Maros Sefcovic: “Europe chosen a new priority project pipeline - the South Stream pipeline”
- 09/12/2014 Parts of Swedish airport evacuated over bomb threat
- 09/12/2014 German foreign minister: UN Security Council has never been so incapable
- 09/12/2014 Edward Snowden to address French public
- 09/12/2014 U.S. FISC approves 90-day extension of bulk telephone collection program