The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
- 01/09/2015 19 civilians killed in terror attacks in 56 days in Turkey
- 01/09/2015 Turkey: 3 foreign journalists arrested on terror charges
- 01/09/2015 4 missing, 4 injured after explosion in Spain fireworks factory
- 01/09/2015 Policeman, civilian injured in southeast Turkey attack
- 30/08/2015 17-year-old migrant killed in shootout at sea with Greek police
- 30/08/2015 European ministers agree more railway security, urge Schengen changes
- 30/08/2015 Three refugee children found critically ill in Austria
- 29/08/2015 Turkish planes join anti-IS coalition in Syria raid for first time
- 29/08/2015 Former deputy interior minister of Georgia shot
- 29/08/2015 Turkey: 24 people injured in Mardin bomb attack
- 29/08/2015 Croatia comes out of crisis: PM
- 29/08/2015 Deadly attack in eastern Turkey
- 28/08/2015 PKK have killed 14,000 since 1984
- 28/08/2015 Turkey: PM Davutoglu unveils interim Cabinet
- 28/08/2015 NATO’s support for sovereignty and territorial integrity is strong, says secretary general
- 28/08/2015 2 French journalists held for 'attempted blackmail of Morocco king'
- 28/08/2015 Tusk says EU, Ukraine want to see early free travel
- 27/08/2015 Greece to use EU money to open refugee centres
- 27/08/2015 Dozens found dead in truck on Austrian highway
- 27/08/2015 Opening of NATO training center in Georgia to destabilize region: Russian Foreign Ministry
- 27/08/2015 NATO opens training center in Georgia
- 27/08/2015 Hungary migrant crisis escalates as police fire tear gas
- 27/08/2015 Italy, Spain, US troopers take part in Romania NATO drill
- 27/08/2015 PKK terrorists attack Turkish police; there are wounded
- 27/08/2015 First opposition member joins Turkey's interim Cabinet
- 26/08/2015 Greek president expected to call election on Friday
- 25/08/2015 At least three dead in shootout in northern France
- 25/08/2015 Hollande, Ban Ki-Moon urge efforts for reaching binding accord on Paris climate summit
- 25/08/2015 Merkel to visit protest-hit refugee home
- 25/08/2015 Number of ceasefire violations in Donbas continues to decline — OSCE
- 25/08/2015 Greece says lacks infrastructure to cope with migrant influx
- 25/08/2015 Turkish President Erdogan decides on 'renewal of parliamentary elections'
- 25/08/2015 Flood, landslides 'kill 8 people' in northeastern Turkey
- 24/08/2015 Almost 80,000 sign UK petition for Netanyahu arrest
- 24/08/2015 EU to consider suspending sanctions against Belarus next week
- 23/08/2015 Macedonia reestablishing order at border with Greece as migrants flood
- 23/08/2015 Two prisoners escape from Norway jail shortly after justice minister's visit
- 23/08/2015 Belgium calls on neighbors for more security on cross-border trains
- 23/08/2015 Thousands of migrants rush past police into Macedonia - PHOTO
- 23/08/2015 German minister condemns riots in front of asylum shelter