The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
- 26/04/2015 Portuguese president call for "inter-party compromises"
- 25/04/2015 Ahmet Davutoglu: "Let the countries that made decision against Turkey, evaluate the Khojaly genocide"
- 25/04/2015 Mevlut Cavusoglu: Armenia should open archives if it has confidence
- 25/04/2015 Turkish Deputy PM blasts Putin's remark over 1915 events
- 25/04/2015 Turkey calls Obama statement on 1915 'unilateral'
- 24/04/2015 18 migrants killed by train in Macedonia
- 24/04/2015 Italian police arrest 18 in raid against al-Qaeda-linked group
- 24/04/2015 Turkish President extends condolences to Armenians
- 24/04/2015 Hollande set to discuss UN SC draft resolution on migrants with Putin
- 24/04/2015 Senior EU, Western Balkan officials discuss regional cooperation
- 24/04/2015 EU concerns over Gosince incident in northern Macedonia
- 24/04/2015 Turkish President: "Highlight Armenians among the 30 million people who died in World War I and using against us is unacceptable"
- 24/04/2015 Erdogan: Turkey ready to open military archives over 1915 events
- 24/04/2015 Six powers have different approaches to new sanctions against Iran — source
- 23/04/2015 Explosion at Greek factory kills one person, injures another
- 23/04/2015 Turkish Prime Minister: "Some countries sowing the seeds of hatred over the events of 100 years ago"
- 23/04/2015 Turkey opens archives of 1915
- 23/04/2015 Turkey recalls envoy to Austria over 'genocide' move
- 23/04/2015 Europe not ready to grant Kiev visa-free regime due to security threats — Hollande
- 23/04/2015 Italy PM urges united EU action to tackle migrant crisis
- 22/04/2015 Turkish PM: 'No compromise with political pressure'
- 22/04/2015 Austrian parliament recognizes “Armenian genocide”
- 22/04/2015 EU Commission charges Gazprom with market abuse
- 22/04/2015 The residence is a matter of personal conflict between me and Bidzina - Giorgi Margvelashvili
- 22/04/2015 Turkish FM hails US-Turkish relations
- 22/04/2015 Britain celebrates Queen Elizabeth II 's 89th birthday
- 21/04/2015 Norway to provide 6.4 mln dollars for Mediterranean migration crisis
- 21/04/2015 Portuguese bus employees stage strike against privatization
- 21/04/2015 Poland will buy US Patriot air defense systems — Polish Defense Ministry
- 21/04/2015 Ahmet Davutoğlu: We commemorate with deep respect Ottoman Armenians who lost their lives and share in grief of their children and grandchildren
- 21/04/2015 800 dead after Sunday's Mediterranean migrant shipwreck
- 21/04/2015 Elmar Mammadyarov: "Considerable progress registered in Azerbaijan-EU bilateral cooperation"
- 21/04/2015 13-year-old student kills teacher with crossbow in Spain
- 21/04/2015 Turkey's top cleric calls Pope 'immoral' for Armenia comments
- 19/04/2015 Slovenian febrile patient cleared of Ebola suspicion
- 19/04/2015 Italy looking forward to removal of Iran sanctions
- 19/04/2015 Russia denies agreement with Greece on gas project
- 19/04/2015 Norwegian journalist arrested in Yemen to come home Sunday: report
- 18/04/2015 Gunmen attack Turkey’s Kurdish party headquarters
- 18/04/2015 Turkish PM: Three-term rule for MPs 'disputable'