The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
- 28/11/2014 Pope urges solidarity to stop aggressors in Syria and Iraq
- 28/11/2014 CoE secretary general: It’s not time to construct new walls
- 28/11/2014 Pope pays tribute to Turkey's founding leader Atatürk
- 28/11/2014 Austria urges Russia to avoid pressure on pro-Western post-Soviet countries
- 28/11/2014 Flu vaccine lots blocked in Italy after suspicious deaths
- 28/11/2014 Albanian parliament approves 2015 budget
- 28/11/2014 Latvian MPs start investigating fatal supermarket collapse
- 28/11/2014 France condemns attack on British embassy's vehicle in Kabul
- 28/11/2014 France unemployment rate soars to record high
- 28/11/2014 More than half of roads in Slovenia in poor condition: survey
- 27/11/2014 Germany: UN Security Council reform considered
- 27/11/2014 EU's Juncker survives no-confidence vote
- 27/11/2014 Cemil Cicek: Armenia cannot deceive world by promoting the events of 1915 as “Armenian genocide”
- 27/11/2014 IAEA says needs more money to monitor extended Iran nuclear deal
- 27/11/2014 Ukrainian president hails NATO, U.S. support in conflicts with rebels
- 27/11/2014 Bulgaria charges radical imam, six others with supporting Islamic State
- 27/11/2014 Turkey slams Libya's airstrikes on Tripoli airport
- 26/11/2014 First Italian Ebola patient undergoes experimental treatment
- 26/11/2014 French FM says Iran nuclear talks "rather positive"
- 26/11/2014 Thousands of protesters take to streets in Lisbon over austerity
- 25/11/2014 Finland joining NATO would alienate Russia – President of Finland
- 25/11/2014 Pope: Europe today looks tired and pessimistic
- 25/11/2014 Pope Francis addresses European Parliament
- 25/11/2014 Two dead, seven wounded in C. Philippine shooting incident
- 25/11/2014 Slovakia, Czech Republic see future perspective on nuclear energy
- 25/11/2014 Erdogan: women are not equal to men
- 24/11/2014 Turkey, U.S. ease strains on Islamic State but differences remain
- 24/11/2014 Iran nuclear talks extended seven months after failing to meet deadline
- 24/11/2014 Turkey rejects easing relations with Egypt: president
- 24/11/2014 NATO Secretary General: Door still open for Ukraine
- 24/11/2014 Abdullah Gul: Palestinian issue biggest problem in Middle East
- 23/11/2014 Polish ruling party defies exit polls and wins elections
- 23/11/2014 1 dies, 5 injured in head-on car collision in central Finland
- 23/11/2014 Magnitude 5.7 quake hits eastern Romania
- 23/11/2014 France holds the toughest position in Vienna talks with Iran - source
- 23/11/2014 Biden, Erdogan discuss Syrian regime transition
- 22/11/2014 OSCE set to facilitate holding of parliamentary, presidential elections in Kyrgyzstan
- 22/11/2014 Iran, P5+1 not to have time for consolidating final document by November 24 - source
- 22/11/2014 U.S., Iran discussing new ideas to break nuclear impasse: sources
- 21/11/2014 Merkel aide raps Russia after report on aid to Ukraine rebels