The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
- 01/02/2015 Envoy says Ukraine Contact Group did not discuss date of next meeting
- 01/02/2015 Erdogan claims Gulen movement cooperates with Mossad
- 01/02/2015 Swiss police: 4 dead after avalanche hits group of skiers
- 31/01/2015 Putin, Merkel, Hollande hope withdrawal of troops, armaments on agenda of Minsk talks
- 31/01/2015 Heavy snow in S. Germany disrupts traffic, causes accidents
- 31/01/2015 Italy elects senior judge Sergio Mattarella as president
- 31/01/2015 Georgian MIA: Georgian citizens fighting on the side of Ukraine will not be brought to responsibility
- 31/01/2015 Georgian MP Tamaz Avdaliani dies
- 31/01/2015 Turkey publishes ‘Armenian genocide monument’ picture on planner prepared to commemorate 100th anniversary of Battle of Çanakkale
- 31/01/2015 6 immigrants drowned, 4 missing as boat sinks close to Spanish enclave
- 31/01/2015 Hollande, Merkel meet in Strasbourg
- 31/01/2015 Bulgaria's first democratically-elected president dies
- 31/01/2015 Greece sacks heads of privatization agency
- 30/01/2015 Georgian Foreign Minister "not optimistic" about dialogue on trade issues with Russia
- 30/01/2015 Slovenian foreign minister: Further economic sanctions against Russia to be ineffective
- 30/01/2015 Spanish FM says soldier killed in Lebanon in "known" zone
- 30/01/2015 Turkish President: “We are not obliged to recognize the so-called "Armenian genocide" on someone's orders”
- 30/01/2015 Voting for new Italian president begins
- 30/01/2015 Man with gun enters Dutch TV studio
- 29/01/2015 Poland says more sanctions against Russia needed – minister
- 29/01/2015 Spain court charges 10 priests with child sexual abuse
- 29/01/2015 Hollande, Merkel reassure Poroshenko of readiness to coordinate efforts
- 29/01/2015 Litvinenko autopsy was world's most dangerous, UK inquiry hears
- 28/01/2015 Greek PM Tsipras promises radical change, markets tumble
- 28/01/2015 UN peacekeeper from Spain killed in southern Lebanon
- 28/01/2015 EU to extend sanctions on Russia
- 27/01/2015 OSCE PA President calls on Russia to close border with Ukraine
- 27/01/2015 Turkish minister: Gas price talks with Russia promising
- 27/01/2015 EU foreign ministers to consider new sanctions against Russia
- 27/01/2015 Anti-terrorist operation underway in southern France
- 27/01/2015 US skier living in France dies in avalanche in the Alps
- 27/01/2015 'Unnatural' Greek coalition could be short-lived
- 27/01/2015 Fresh battles in east Ukraine leave 11 dead
- 27/01/2015 EU pledges additional 15 mln euros of humanitarian aid to Ukraine
- 26/01/2015 Famous singer Demis Roussos dies
- 26/01/2015 Georgia names new interior minister
- 26/01/2015 PACE to discuss suspension of Russian delegation’s credentials
- 25/01/2015 Turkish mountain climbers missing in Greece
- 24/01/2015 Turkey declares day of mourning for Saudi king
- 24/01/2015 Netherlands remains vigilant despite prevention of large bird flu outbreak