Death toll from new coronavirus rises to 66: WHO
Baku-APA. Two more people died from the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), bringing the death toll to 66, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Friday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
WHO said in its latest disease outbreak update that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has reported a laboratory-confirmed cases of infection with the new coronavirus.
The patient, a 75-year-old man, with underlying medical conditions, became ill on Oct. 1, was hospitalized on Oct. 12 and died on Nov. 10. He is a national of Oman, according to WHO.
And a previously-confirmed case from Oman, the country's first confirmed new coronavirus infection, has died, it said.
Besides, Qatar also reported an additional confirmed case to the WHO. The man, 61, with underlying medical conditions, became ill on Nov. 4 and was hospitalised on Nov. 7.
WHO said that he is in critical condition. Preliminary epidemiological investigation indicates that the patient had exposure to farms where livestock are kept.
Globally, from September 2012 to date, WHO has been informed of a total of 155 laboratory-confirmed cases of infection with MERS-CoV.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2016Taliban announces new leader
- 24.05.2016Four Turkish soldiers fall in roadside blast in Van
- 24.05.2016IS destroyed helicopters at Syrian base used by Russia: report
- 24.05.2016Syrian Kurds begin operation against ISIL
- 24.05.2016Iraqi forces clash with Islamic State near Falluja, bombard city center
- 23.05.2016Landslides kill at least 20 in SW Yemen
- 23.05.2016Bombs kill more than 140 in Syrian government-held cities
- 23.05.2016Over 100 feared killed as blasts hit Syria’s Latakia province
- 23.05.2016Iraqi PM announces start of operation to retake Falluja
- 22.05.2016Islamic State calls for attacks on the West during Ramadan in audio message
- 22.05.2016Pentagon: US airstrike targets Taliban leader Mullah Mansour
- 22.05.2016India partly repays $6.5-Bln debt to Iran for oil supplies
- 21.05.2016Islamic State threatens attacks in India
- 21.05.2016Death toll of central Pakistan road accident rises to 13
- 21.05.2016Al-Qaeda country head killed in E. Pakistan operation
- 21.05.2016India records its highest temperature ever
- 21.05.2016Hezbollah vows stronger presence in Syria after commander's death
- 21.05.201656 people killed in intensified fighting in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2016Baghdad imposes curfew after Green Zone protesters clash with police
- 20.05.2016Turkish parliament ratifies bill to lift MPs' immunity
- 20.05.2016Israeli defense minister resigns
- 19.05.2016Airbus A320 flying from Paris to Cairo ‘feared to have crashed into the sea’ - UPDATED
- 19.05.20161 killed, 5 injured as blast hits police vehicle in SW Pakistan
- 19.05.2016Bolivia police, workers clash at protest over plant shutdown
- 19.05.2016Bomb kills nine Iraqi soldiers during raid south of Baghdad
- 18.05.201616 people missing as landslide hits Sri Lanka
- 18.05.2016Iraqi forces recapturing al-Rutbah city from Daesh
- 18.05.2016Yemen gov't suspends participation in UN peace talks
- 17.05.2016Three Baghdad blasts claim 58 lives
- 17.05.20163 killed in landslides and heavy rains in Sri Lanka
- 17.05.2016U.S., Russia stalemate on Syria frustrates European powers
- 15.05.2016Syria urges UN to condemn al-Qaida massacre in Hama
- 15.05.2016North Korea seizes Russia yacht sans 'explanation'
- 14.05.2016ISIL declares state of emergency in Syria's Raqqah: US
- 14.05.2016House fire kills 5 in India
- 14.05.2016Recent processes in Syria are not in favour of terrorists - Iranian FM official
- 14.05.2016Top Hezbollah commander killed in Damascus blast
- 14.05.2016Islamic State attacks in northern Iraq kill 16, sources say
- 13.05.2016Israel kills Hezbollah military commander
- 13.05.2016Security worker dies at Australian Embassy in Baghdad