Barack Obama sends letter of congratulations to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev
The letter says:
"Dear President Aliyev,
I wish you all the best as you begin your third term as President of Azerbaijan. I look forward to continuing our conversation about important issues in our strategic partnership. Our bilateral relationship, now more than two decades old, has made significant contributions to regional stability. We have welcomed Azerbaijan`s impressive economic and social progress in this period, and we remain committed to strengthening our partnership and deepening cooperation on our common challenges.
The United States and Azerbaijan cooperate closely on a wide range of issues both bilaterally and, recently, in the United Nations Security Council. We appreciate your partnership in Afghanistan and our cooperation to combat terrorism. We stand ready to work with you to seize the historic opportunity to find a peaceful, negotiated resolution of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, and we welcome the decision you and President Sargsian have made to meet later this month. We remain committed to supporting development of the Southern Energy Corridor, bolstering reforms to advance economic diversification, and strengthening regional stability and security.
To achieve the full potential of our cooperation and partnership, we hope Azerbaijan will strengthen the democratic processes that are so important to ensure your country`s long-term stability and prosperity. As we noted following the election, we encourage Azerbaijan to take steps to deepen respect for the universal freedoms of association, assembly, and expression; to promote political pluralism and judicial independence; and to strengthen the electoral system. Our partnership with Azerbaijan itself will continue to grow ever stronger for these efforts.
I look forward to our continued close cooperation and wish you and the people of Azerbaijan peace and success following the twenty-second anniversary of the restoration of your independence."
Related news releases
- 28.05.2016Azerbaijani President: “No one is allowed to interfere in our internal affairs”
- 28.05.2016Azerbaijan celebrates Republic Day
- 27.05.2016Azerbaijan has never been as powerful as now – president
- 27.05.2016Double standards towards Azerbaijan must be ended, says President Aliyev
- 27.05.2016President Aliyev: Memory of founders of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic will always leave in people’s hearts
- 27.05.2016Azerbaijani president attends official reception on Republic Day
- 27.05.2016President Ilham Aliyev visits memorial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 26.05.2016Dozens feared drowned as latest migrant boat sinks off Libya
- 26.05.2016Azerbaijani CEC: Last year almost all parties failed to present financial reports in time
- 26.05.2016538 voters above age of 100 in Azerbaijan
- 26.05.2016Number of voters in Azerbaijan announced
- 25.05.2016Azerbaijani president named "The World’s Person of the Year 2015"
- 23.05.2016Human remains found off Turkmen coast do not belong to missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 21.05.2016Date, agenda announced of last meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s spring session
- 20.05.2016Azerbaijani parliament adopts amnesty bill - UPDATED
- 20.05.2016Mehriban Aliyeva: Those covered by amnesty act should be shown humanism and mercy
- 19.05.2016CEC considers Ilgar Mammadov’s complaint
- 19.05.2016New head of Gazakh district executive authority named
- 19.05.2016New head of Yardimli district executive power appointed
- 19.05.2016For European banks, U.S. assurances on Iran come with asterisks
- 16.05.2016Azerbaijan still faces terrorist threats, says parliament vice-speaker
- 15.05.2016Turkish Defense Minister arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.05.2016New head appointed to Administration of State Historical Architectural Reserve "Icherisheher"
- 11.05.2016President Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector to flourish in 2017-2018
- 10.05.2016Azerbaijani MES holds event marking national leader Heydar Aliyev’s 93rd birthday anniversary
- 10.05.2016Azerbaijani president pays respect to country’s national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2016Azerbaijan marks 93rd birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 07.05.2016Armenians see President Ilham Aliyev as main reason for their defeat - ANALYSIS
- 06.05.2016North Korean leader hails nuclear success in opening congress
- 06.05.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 06.05.2016Italy-Azerbaijan business forum to be held in June
- 05.05.2016US pollster: Over 96% of Azerbaijani population trust President Ilham Aliyev
- 05.05.2016CEC: Ilgar Mammadov loses right to be elected MP
- 04.05.2016Turkish strikes in Syria kill 13 Daesh terrorists
- 30.04.2016US Department of State calls Azerbaijan and Armenia to return to the process of peaceful settlement
- 30.04.2016Azerbaijani President: "2016 is the year of deep economic reforms"
- 29.04.2016Date and agenda of Azerbaijani parliament’s next meeting announced
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijani parliament condemns Armenian provocations
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijani president arrives in Aghsu district
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijan to approve ethics conduct rules for MPs