Azerbaijani CEC refuses to register Ilgar Mammadov as presidential candidate - UPDATED
APA reports that the Central Election Commission has passed a decision in this regard at today’s meeting.
Firstly, CEC secretary Arifa Mukhtarova gave information about Ilgar Eldar Mammadov. Following this, head of CEC Working Group Ilham Mammadov said that Ilgar Mammadov had submitted 41 247 signatures and 4 982 out of them were turned out to be invalid.
CEC didn’t register Ilgar Mammadov as a presidential candidate through open voting.
Then CEC member Akif Gurbanov wanted the explanation for Mammadov’s non-registration.
CEC chairman Mazahir Panahov said that representatives of the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan also took part in the checking process of the signatures, along with the representatives of international organization: “In general, all our steps are clear.”
Gurbanov left the meeting basing on that his question hadn’t been answered.
Press service of the US Embassy in Azerbaijan told APA that the Embassy did not play any role in this process: “The reports that the representative of the US Embassy took part in the counting of the signatures are groundless”.
Related news releases
- 06.02.2016Fuad Alasgarov: All attempts to destabilize Azerbaijan to be thwarted decisively
- 06.02.2016Haiti protesters stone to death ex-fighter as political crisis deepens
- 05.02.2016Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for next session
- 04.02.201625th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s independence to be marked at state level
- 03.02.2016Chief of State Security Service of Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan promoted to major general
- 03.02.2016Azerbaijan establishes Board of Appeal under president
- 02.02.2016President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of academician Jalal Aliyev
- 02.02.2016Most of Azerbaijan’s losses from oil price drop to be compensated – top official
- 02.02.2016Azerbaijani top official meets public representatives in Guba
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP calls on counterparts and ministers to leave other posts
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP proposes to restore Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani parliament observes moment of silence to remember academician Jalal Aliyev
- 01.02.2016Head of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE dismisses reports of his dismissal as baseless
- 01.02.2016Academician Jalal Aliyev dies
- 31.01.2016Today is Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 132nd birth anniversary
- 30.01.2016Azerbaijani president awards some employees of State Customs Committee
- 30.01.2016Azerbaijan faces double standards in PACE – parliament vice-speaker
- 30.01.2016Minsk Group did utmost to prevent PACE from adopting resolution on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.01.2016U.N. launches Syria peace talks despite opposition boycott
- 29.01.2016Azerbaijan denies asking foreign financial institutions for assistance
- 28.01.2016Ali Hasanov: President Ilham Aliyev will never allow Azerbaijani citizens and society to face serious cataclysms
- 28.01.2016MP: Azerbaijan takes systematic approach to countering corruption
- 28.01.2016Azerbaijani president's aide comments on recent protests
- 28.01.2016Azerbaijani official: Manat rate unlikely to drop further
- 28.01.2016Azerbaijan continued to develop even during 2008-2009 economic crisis – official
- 28.01.2016Azerbaijani official: Instability on global energy market politically motivated
- 27.01.2016Iran 'ready for investment': Rouhani in Paris
- 27.01.2016International court to investigate 2008 Georgia-Russia war
- 27.01.2016Elkhan Suleymanov: “We have witnessed great unfairness, injustice”
- 26.01.2016Azerbaijan to review legal status and activities of political parties
- 26.01.2016Azerbaijan to surely develop in spite of global economic recession – president
- 26.01.2016Azerbaijani president: Social responsibility should be taken into account, company should avoid job cuts
- 26.01.2016President Aliyev: Southern Gas Corridor for decades to provide economic benefits to Azerbaijan
- 26.01.2016Global economy fails to get out of crisis – Azerbaijani president
- 26.01.2016President Aliyev: Azerbaijan to continue developing successfully despite global economic crisis
- 26.01.20162016 to be Year of deep economic reforms in Azerbaijan – President Aliyev
- 26.01.2016Azerbaijani president attends conference dedicated to implementation of state program on socio-economic development of districts
- 23.01.2016Protesters in Moldova's capital Chisinau to elect national salvation committee on Sunday
- 22.01.2016Imam and akhund appointed at Heydar Mosque
- 21.01.2016Chingiz Mustafayev Foundation and ANS named Mehriban Aliyeva “Person of the year 2015”