The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 17/04/2015 Niger meningitis epidemic kills 75
- 17/04/2015 Four confirmed dead after bus swept away by floods
- 15/04/2015 Hosni Mubarak dies: Fars News
- 14/04/2015 Several protesters shot in Guinea riots
- 14/04/2015 Taliban overrun Afghan forces in northeast, killing 18
- 12/04/2015 At least 7 killed in by floods in western Kenya
- 12/04/2015 2 Tunisians having links to terror network expelled from Italy: Interior Minister
- 12/04/2015 Egypt sentences Muslim Brotherhood leader, others to death
- 11/04/2015 10 soldiers killed in clashes in Libya's Benghazi
- 11/04/2015 One dead in clashes between UN peacekeepers and protesters in CAR
- 10/04/2015 33 killed in Morocco road crash
- 10/04/2015 31 killed, 9 injured in bus crash in Morocco
- 10/04/2015 Egypt evacuates over 1,100 citizens from conflict-torn Yemen
- 10/04/2015 Egypt launches 1st strike against Yemen's Houthis: Coalition
- 10/04/2015 12 killed, over 70 injured in Tanzania road accidents
- 09/04/2015 11 civilians killed as mortars hit houses in Egypt's Sinai
- 08/04/2015 S. African girl barred from joining IS
- 08/04/2015 Algeria in strong position to win 2017 CAN bid
- 07/04/2015 3 Tunisian soldiers killed in terrorist ambush
- 07/04/2015 2 DR Congo soldiers killed by Rwandese rebels
- 06/04/2015 Boko Haram disguised as preachers kill at least 24 in Nigeria
- 05/04/2015 Egypt to protect Gulf Arabs if necessary: Sisi
- 05/04/2015 Ex-president Saleh fled Yemen: FM
- 05/04/2015 Egypt court adjourns Mubarak corruption trial to April 29
- 05/04/2015 Kenyatta says campus attackers 'embedded' in Kenya's Muslim community
- 04/04/2015 Gunmen kill nine people in Nigeria's oil state: police
- 03/04/2015 Boko Haram 'kills 9 Chadian troops, one Niger soldier' in ambush
- 03/04/2015 Explosion near bus station in Gombe, Nigeria, kills 5: witnesses
- 03/04/2015 Obama to Netanyahu: Iran deal is 'significant progress'
- 03/04/2015 19 people killed in Egypt's Sinai attacks
- 03/04/2015 Al Shabaab kills at least 147 at Kenyan university; siege ends - UPDATED
- 02/04/2015 Militants kill 10 Egypt soldiers in Sinai
- 02/04/2015 Joining Yemen campaign not declaration of war: Morocco
- 31/03/2015 Nigerian opposition party declares victory in presidential election ahead of final result
- 31/03/2015 Over 7,000 killed by Boko Haram since beginning of 2014 : UN official
- 31/03/2015 Daesh-linked group promises 'more Tunisia attacks'
- 30/03/2015 16 killed in traffic crash in upper Egypt
- 30/03/2015 Egypt lists top Brotherhood leader, 17 others as terrorists: state media
- 30/03/2015 Nigeria vote runs into second day after glitches, killings
- 29/03/2015 Leading suspect in Tunisia museum attack killed