The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 04/07/2015 Two die in south Ghana flood
- 03/07/2015 Nigeria's Boko Haram slaughters 11 defectors
- 03/07/2015 Tunisia arrests 8 prime suspects over beachhead attacks, intensive security measures taken
- 03/07/2015 Suspected Boko Haram gunmen kill 'many' in Nigeria attack
- 03/07/2015 Militants in Mali kill six UN peacekeepers
- 02/07/2015 Five UN peacekeepers killed in convoy attack in Mali
- 02/07/2015 Egypt's Cabinet approves anti-terror bill amid mounting terrorist attacks
- 02/07/2015 Clashes leave 5 dead in Burundi
- 01/07/2015 Two new Ebola cases in Liberia, seven weeks after country declared virus-free
- 01/07/2015 20 Libyan soldiers killed in clashes with Islamist militants
- 01/07/2015 Tunisia hotel attack gunman trained in Libya: official
- 01/07/2015 Three killed in car bomb in suburb west of Cairo: sources
- 30/06/2015 Seven arrests made over Tunisia attack
- 30/06/2015 Moscow condemns killing of Egypt’s state prosecutor Hisham Barakat
- 29/06/2015 Egypt's top prosecutor injured in bomb attack
- 28/06/2015 Deaths of British nationals in Friday's attack in Tunisia rise to 15: FCO
- 28/06/2015 Egypt sees sandstorm and earthquake on the same day
- 28/06/2015 Tunisia steps up security measures, tourism takes hard hit
- 28/06/2015 Kenyan police arrest 2 terror suspects along Tanzania border
- 25/06/2015 Gunmen kill 2 policemen, abduct 2 Lebanese workers in SE Nigeria
- 24/06/2015 Sudan dismisses US 'state sponsor of terrorism' label
- 23/06/2015 Egypt army kills 22 extremists in Sinai security raids
- 19/06/2015 Protestors march against Egypt's Sisi in South Africa
- 19/06/2015 Boko Haram kill 40 in Diffa, southeast Niger
- 18/06/2015 Al-Shabaab kills 24 people in central and southwest Somalia
- 18/06/2015 Nigeria evacuates stranded nationals from Yemen
- 17/06/2015 Policeman killed in blast by al-Qaida-inspired group in Egypt's Sinai
- 17/06/2015 Egypt court hands Mursi death sentence in blow to Muslim Brotherhood
- 16/06/2015 Mohammed Morsi death sentence upheld by Egypt court
- 16/06/2015 UN chief slams deadly terrorist attacks in Chadian capital
- 15/06/2015 10 dead in two suicide attacks in northeast Nigeria
- 13/06/2015 Armed group storms Tunisian consulate in Libyan capital, kidnap 10 staff
- 12/06/2015 Egypt court jails policeman for 15 years over killing female activist
- 12/06/2015 Kenyan court rules NGOs not terror groups
- 12/06/2015 Boko Haram kills dozens in raids in northeastern Nigeria
- 10/06/2015 UN envoy for Cote d'Ivoire reports progress in political dialogue
- 09/06/2015 At least 10 die in W Kenya as cholera outbreak continues
- 09/06/2015 U.N. hands Libya's warring factions unity government proposal
- 06/06/2015 Unusual floods in Kenya reveal climate change impacts: experts
- 06/06/2015 Ghana's capital cleans up after fire, floods kill 150