The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 04/08/2015 Zimbabwe to investigate 2nd lion killing by US hunter
- 03/08/2015 John Kerry says US, Egypt to strengthen security ties
- 02/08/2015 U.S. Kerry arrives in Egypt to relaunch bilateral partnership
- 31/07/2015 Over 100 militants killed in anti-Boko Haram operation: Chad army
- 28/07/2015 Libya court sentences Gadhafi son to death for 2011 killings
- 28/07/2015 24 die in fire at furniture factory in Egypt's capital
- 26/07/2015 Egypt army kills 17 extremists in Sinai clashes
- 26/07/2015 New Explosion Hits Cameroon Town, Many Feared Dead
- 25/07/2015 Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 21 in northeastern Nigeria
- 24/07/2015 U.S. president jets in Kenya for three-day visit
- 24/07/2015 Burundi President Pierre Nkurunziza wins third term
- 24/07/2015 Boko Haram raid kills eight civilians in northeast Nigeria
- 24/07/2015 Roadside bomb attack kills 4 Egyptian forces in restive Siani
- 23/07/2015 Nineteen people drown in shipwreck on Nile River
- 23/07/2015 Egypt jails former Mubarak PM for corruption
- 23/07/2015 10 killed in twin blasts in Cameroon’s Far North Region
- 22/07/2015 Somali civilians killed by َAfrican Union troops
- 21/07/2015 Explosions, gunfire rock Burundi capital hours before presidential vote
- 19/07/2015 Eight soldiers killed in militant attacks in Egypt
- 19/07/2015 Militant attack kills 11 Algerian soldiers: security source
- 19/07/2015 Boko Haram raid leaves 16 Nigeriens dead: Official
- 18/07/2015 5 Czechs kidnapped in Lebanon
- 17/07/2015 At least 25 killed, over 30 injured in Nigeria twin blasts
- 17/07/2015 NATO's command center in Latvia put into operation
- 15/07/2015 At least 12 killed in Nigeria attack
- 15/07/2015 9 killed, 12 injured in tribal clash in S. Sudan
- 14/07/2015 At least one killed in Nigeria suicide bombing
- 14/07/2015 14 people killed in Cameroon suicide bomb attack
- 13/07/2015 14 people killed in Cameroon suicide bomb attack
- 12/07/2015 Egypt: Morsi’s espionage trial postponed
- 11/07/2015 12 killed in night attack on Nigerian town
- 11/07/2015 16 killed, 80 wounded in Chad suicide bomb attack
- 11/07/2015 Cairo blast in front of Italian consulate, 1 killed, 4 injured
- 11/07/2015 Several killed in attack on Mogadishu hotel
- 10/07/2015 7 Lebanese soldiers injured in clashes with demonstrators
- 09/07/2015 22 dead in Arab-Berber unrest in Algeria: media
- 06/07/2015 Bombs at mosque, restaurant in central Nigerian city kill 44
- 05/07/2015 36 militants killed in air raids in Egypt's Sinai
- 04/07/2015 Tunisia declares state of emergency after Sousse hotel attack
- 04/07/2015 Two die in south Ghana flood