The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 29/08/2015 38 girls die in crash on way to Swaziland beauty pageant
- 27/08/2015 Russia to build nuclear power plant in Egypt: Putin
- 27/08/2015 Some 50 migrants found dead in boat off Libya: coast guard
- 25/08/2015 Liberia oil company lays off all personnel to save firm
- 25/08/2015 Morocco arrests 13 suspected of recruiting for IS
- 23/08/2015 Antiquities minister urges Egyptians to donate to buy statue
- 23/08/2015 Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood chief gets new life term
- 20/08/2015 Blast near Cairo state security building wounds six: security sources
- 20/08/2015 Four killed in Burundi bar after police weapon raids
- 18/08/2015 Boko Haram ambush kills up to 150 in Nigeria
- 16/08/2015 UK Egyptians mark 2-year anniversary of Cairo killings
- 15/08/2015 Defense team of Egypt's Morsi appeals death sentence
- 14/08/2015 CNN apologizes to Kenya over terror slur
- 12/08/2015 Daesh affiliate in Egypt kills Croatian hostage
- 12/08/2015 Libya’s Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thinni resigns
- 12/08/2015 Court in Egypt sentences 452 members of Muslim Brotherhood to jail
- 12/08/2015 At least 48 killed in N. Nigeria market blast: security source
- 11/08/2015 21 dead, 66 hospitalized as heatwave hits Egypt
- 11/08/2015 Egypt: 10 sentenced to death over terrorism charges
- 09/08/2015 New round of Libya talks to kick off next week in Geneva
- 09/08/2015 S. Africa confirms killing of citizen in Mali
- 08/08/2015 New Suez Canal Promises to Triple Income for Egypt
- 08/08/2015 Egypt policeman shot dead by unknown militants
- 08/08/2015 At least 12 people killed in Mali hotel siege
- 08/08/2015 Several hostages held by gunmen in Mali freed
- 07/08/2015 At least 6 killed as floods hit northern Sudan
- 07/08/2015 Clashes in Central African Republic leave dozen dead
- 07/08/2015 Egypt's Sisi launches Suez Canal expansion project
- 06/08/2015 Boko Haram abducts 135, kills 8 in Cameroon raid
- 05/08/2015 Suspected Boko Haram militants kill eight, kidnap 100 in Cameroon
- 03/08/2015 John Kerry says US, Egypt to strengthen security ties
- 02/08/2015 U.S. Kerry arrives in Egypt to relaunch bilateral partnership
- 31/07/2015 Over 100 militants killed in anti-Boko Haram operation: Chad army
- 28/07/2015 Libya court sentences Gadhafi son to death for 2011 killings
- 28/07/2015 24 die in fire at furniture factory in Egypt's capital
- 26/07/2015 Egypt army kills 17 extremists in Sinai clashes
- 26/07/2015 New Explosion Hits Cameroon Town, Many Feared Dead
- 25/07/2015 Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 21 in northeastern Nigeria
- 24/07/2015 U.S. president jets in Kenya for three-day visit
- 24/07/2015 Burundi President Pierre Nkurunziza wins third term