The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 31/10/2014 UN's Ban Ki-moon Calls for Ceasefire, Negotiations in South Sudan
- 31/10/2014 Burkina Faso President Declares State Of Emergency
- 30/10/2014 Liberia may see decline in Ebola spread: WHO
- 30/10/2014 Ancient temple unearthed in Egypt after illegal digging
- 30/10/2014 U.S. "deeply concerned" about situation in Burkina Faso
- 30/10/2014 Kerry signaled desire for better ties: Sudan
- 30/10/2014 Three killed in Burkina Faso demonstration against president rule
- 30/10/2014 Algerian army troops kill 4 drug traffickers
- 30/10/2014 South Sudan rebels say they seize oil hub Bentiu; government denies it
- 29/10/2014 French troops in fierce clash with Islamist militants in Mali
- 29/10/2014 Mugabe blasts succession 'war' in ruling party
- 29/10/2014 Zambia's Scott becomes Africa's first white leader in 20 years
- 29/10/2014 Sudan supports regional plan to resolve conflict in Libya
- 28/10/2014 WHO welcomes approval of Ebola vaccine trial in Switzerland
- 28/10/2014 Uganda contains deadly Marburg outbreak
- 28/10/2014 Secular party set to win Tunisia elections
- 28/10/2014 German worker shot dead in southwest Nigeria
- 27/10/2014 Two militants killed in eastern Algeria
- 26/10/2014 Nigerian drug trafficker left to die over Ebola fears
- 26/10/2014 WHO: Ebola cases exceed 10,000
- 25/10/2014 Tunisian PM warns of terrorist attack during elections
- 25/10/2014 Kenyan soldiers kill over 80 militants in southern Somalia
- 25/10/2014 Egypt declares three-month state of emergency in north of Sinai Peninsula
- 24/10/2014 Nigeria, militants deal on schoolgirls still in place: Chad
- 24/10/2014 Death toll rises to 17 soldiers in Egypt's Sinai blast
- 24/10/2014 40 more girls kidnapped in Nigeria
- 24/10/2014 WHO is against ban on international trips to Ebola-affected countries
- 24/10/2014 First case of Ebola confirmed in Mali
- 23/10/2014 WHO calls for exit, entry screening measures against Ebola spread
- 23/10/2014 Army, militants clashes in Lebanon’s Tripoli kill 4
- 23/10/2014 Ebola has killed 4,877, infected 9,936 so far: WHO
- 23/10/2014 Ebola killed 300 more people in five days
- 22/10/2014 Egypt hands death penalty to 7 jihadists for fatal attacks
- 21/10/2014 Egypt’s military court sentences seven people to death for terrorism
- 20/10/2014 WHO declares Nigeria Ebola-free
- 20/10/2014 Egypt disciplines 60 judges for supporting Brotherhood
- 19/10/2014 2 Egyptian soldiers killed in collapse of border tunnel
- 19/10/2014 Nigeria denies announcing date for girls' release
- 18/10/2014 Morsi says he is still Egypt's 'president'
- 18/10/2014 Rebels kill 22 people in DR Congo attack