The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 11/03/2014 Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- 11/03/2014 Chad oil drilling workers start three-day strike over pay
- 11/03/2014 Libya orders military force to 'liberate' rebel-held ports
- 10/03/2014 S. Africa-Rwanda ties feared to hit new low after expulsions
- 08/03/2014 Congo warlord's conviction brings relief to international court
- 08/03/2014 South Africa, Rwanda expel diplomats in row over Rwandan exiles
- 07/03/2014 Somali, AMISOM forces capture key southern town
- 07/03/2014 Egypt approves laws for presidential election
- 07/03/2014 Sudan denies U.S. human rights report
- 07/03/2014 Niger extradites Gaddafi's son Saadi to Libya
- 07/03/2014 13 killed in fresh gunmen attack in Nigeria
- 06/03/2014 Tunisia president lifts state of emergency
- 06/03/2014 16 killed in fresh central north Nigeria's attack: police
- 06/03/2014 S. African leader voices concern over violence during platinum strike
- 06/03/2014 Fears over military dimensions of Iran's nuke program baseless: envoy
- 05/03/2014 South Sudan negotiations end with no progress
- 05/03/2014 Five UN peacekeepers injured in Congo rebel ambush
- 04/03/2014 Islamist militants kill 31 more in northeast Nigeria
- 02/03/2014 Bomb blasts kill 35 in northeast Nigeria state: police
- 01/03/2014 Egypt's new interim gov't sworn in, Sisi remains defense minister
- 01/03/2014 Nigerian military kills 13 Boko Haram members in raids
- 28/02/2014 One killed in clashes amid pro-Morsi marches in Egypt
- 27/02/2014 Soldiers flee, 33 die in attacks in north Nigeria
- 27/02/2014 Egypt's Sisi to stay on as defense minister: source
- 27/02/2014 New Egypt PM vows to fight 'terrorism', bring back tourists
- 27/02/2014 Jazeera plans Egypt embassy protests to win journalists' freedom
- 25/02/2014 Egypt's new interim gov't to form within week: PM
- 25/02/2014 Seven Egyptian Christians found shot execution-style on Libyan beach
- 25/02/2014 Chad troops kill civilians in Central African Republic: residents
- 24/02/2014 Egypt government resigns, paving way for Sisi to seek presidency
- 21/02/2014 Somalia's Shebab in major suicide attack on presidential palace
- 21/02/2014 Libyan official, patients killed as military plane crashes in Tunisia
- 20/02/2014 Two killed, dozen injured in Lebanon Tripoli clashes
- 20/02/2014 Algeria says its financial situation remains strong
- 20/02/2014 Attacks in northeast Nigeria's Borno not religious: governor
- 20/02/2014 Ex-U.S. congressman pleads not guilty in Zimbabwe court
- 20/02/2014 U.N. to send more peacekeepers to Congo mining province
- 19/02/2014 Botswana severs ties with DPRK
- 19/02/2014 New fighting in Central African Republic blocks U.N. visit
- 18/02/2014 Ugandan military says senior LRA commander may have been killed