The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 07/12/2013 French troops kill unidentified gunmen in Bangui: report
- 07/12/2013 Morocco to send forces to Central African Republic amid violence
- 06/12/2013 Somali lawmaker killed in Mogadishu bomb explosion
- 06/12/2013 Nelson Mandela to be buried on December 15
- 06/12/2013 Nelson Mandela, 20th Century Colossus, Dies at 95
- 05/12/2013 Egypt bails 23 secular protesters held over disputed law
- 04/12/2013 At least 12 killed, 5 others injured in militia clashes in northern Kenya
- 04/12/2013 Attack in CAR leaves 12 dead, 30 injured: UN
- 03/12/2013 32 pro-Morsi protesters get 2-year jail terms
- 03/12/2013 We also need cash, says C.Africa PM
- 03/12/2013 In Egypt, ideas of a radical Islamist make comeback`
- 02/12/2013 Somali PM ousted by parliament
- 02/12/2013 Gadhafi's 'Russian Aides' to Be Tried in Tripoli
- 01/12/2013 34 die in Mozambican plane crash: investigator - UPDATED
- 01/12/2013 33 people killed in Mozambican plane crash
- 30/11/2013 Egypt panel approves preamble to draft constitution
- 30/11/2013 Mozambican airliner with 34 people onboard missing
- 29/11/2013 2 killed, 10 injured in sectarian clashes in Egypt
- 29/11/2013 3 soldiers killed in eastern Libya
- 29/11/2013 Four Libyan soldiers killed in new violence in Benghazi
- 28/11/2013 Russian Embassy in Damascus Shelled Again
- 28/11/2013 18 burnt as petrol bomb hits Bangladesh bus
- 28/11/2013 Kenyan police deny arresting British terror suspects
- 28/11/2013 Over 50,000 illegal Ethiopian workers sent home from Saudi Arabia
- 27/11/2013 South Africa welcomes Iran’s victory in Geneva talks
- 26/11/2013 At least 40 killed in Nigeria attacks
- 26/11/2013 Libyan PM in Benghazi for security talks after deadly clashes
- 26/11/2013 Libyan army clashes with Islamist militants, nine killed
- 26/11/2013 UN Security Council demands "immediate end" to attacks by LRA
- 25/11/2013 Insight: Tunisia stumbles to democracy in a troubled neighborhood
- 24/11/2013 Angola police attack opposition protesters
- 22/11/2013 Nigeria plans new reform in transportation: minister
- 22/11/2013 Egyptian police officer killed in Ismailia
- 22/11/2013 Egypt allows police to enter campuses without permission
- 21/11/2013 Morocco repels 1,000 migrants trying to reach Spain
- 21/11/2013 S.African watchdog hits out at state over Zuma probe
- 21/11/2013 US in talks with Tunisia on boosting security
- 20/11/2013 Warlord Kony negotiated with Central Africa president
- 20/11/2013 Arab, African leaders vow to prioritize cooperation
- 19/11/2013 S.Africa building site collapses, 50 workers trapped