Egypt's border security busts 7 tons of marijuana
The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
Related news releases
- 25.11.2015Tunisian President declares ‘war’ against terrorism
- 24.11.2015Bomb blast hits military bus in Tunisia, 14 dead - UPDATED
- 23.11.201514 militants from ISIS-linked gang killed in anti-terror op in Russia
- 22.11.2015At least 10 people killed in bomb attacks in Cameroon
- 22.11.2015Mali terror attack rooted in "export of democracy" to Africa - Russia’s foreign ministry
- 21.11.2015Ethiopian soldiers kill 3 Kenyan policemen during manhunt: police
- 21.11.2015Mali Hostage Crisis Ends With 27 People Dead, Including Five Attackers
- 20.11.2015Mali hotel gunmen free some hostages - UPDATED
- 20.11.2015Boko Haram attacks Nigerian army base, soldiers "missing": reports
- 19.11.2015At least 10 killed by flash floods in SW Kenya
- 19.11.2015Suicide bombers kill at least 12 and injure dozens in Nigerian city of Kano
- 18.11.201532 people killed, 80 wounded in huge blast in Nigeria’s Yola
- 18.11.2015No criminal action proof found in Russia plane crash: Egypt
- 17.11.2015Dengue fever kills 118 people in Sudan's Darfur
- 14.11.2015Cairo Discusses Canceled EgyptAir Flight With Moscow - Aviation Minister
- 13.11.2015Egypt Air received notification on suspension of flights to Moscow
- 11.11.2015Tunisian convicted of terrorism tried to return to Italy
- 09.11.2015Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers kill three Nigerian refugees in Cameroon
- 08.11.2015Clashes between police and protesters in Togo kill 5: govt
- 08.11.2015Taliban local leader detained by Afghan security force
- 08.11.2015WHO declares Sierra Leone Ebola free
- 08.11.2015Dozens of children killed during clashes in S. Sudan: UN
- 07.11.2015South Sudan bans Russian-made plane AN-12 from airspace
- 06.11.2015Cairo understands Moscow’s decision to suspend air service — Egyptian minister
- 06.11.2015Tripoli faction seeks relaunch of Libya talks, says U.N. envoy biased
- 05.11.2015South Sudan plane crash kills dozens; baby among 3 survivors
- 05.11.2015AU welcomes agreement by South Sudan parties on security arrangement
- 04.11.2015Lavrov: Future of any figure in Syria’s political life should be decided by its people
- 04.11.2015South Sudan plane crash kills at least 41 on board and on ground
- 03.11.2015No proof Russian plane broke up in mid-air: Egyptian authorities
- 03.11.2015Troops kill 4 Boko Haram Takfiris in Nigeria
- 02.11.2015Somalia: 5 militants attack hotel in capital, kill 6
- 01.11.201515 dead in al Shabaab attack on Somali hotel
- 01.11.2015Search for Russian Airliner Crash Victims to Be Finished in Coming Days
- 01.11.2015Blast in Somali capital, followed by gunfire: witness
- 01.11.2015Egyptian PM holds press conference on crash of Russian passenger plane
- 01.11.2015Victims of Russian Plane Crash to Be Delivered to St. Petersburg Sunday
- 31.10.2015Crashed Russian Airliner Pilot Did Not Seek Traffic Control Help
- 31.10.2015IS claims responsibility for Russian plane crash in Egypt
- 31.10.2015Cairo offers assistance to Russia in investigation of passenger plane crash