The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 25/10/2014 Kenyan soldiers kill over 80 militants in southern Somalia
- 25/10/2014 Egypt declares three-month state of emergency in north of Sinai Peninsula
- 24/10/2014 Nigeria, militants deal on schoolgirls still in place: Chad
- 24/10/2014 Death toll rises to 17 soldiers in Egypt's Sinai blast
- 24/10/2014 40 more girls kidnapped in Nigeria
- 24/10/2014 WHO is against ban on international trips to Ebola-affected countries
- 24/10/2014 First case of Ebola confirmed in Mali
- 23/10/2014 WHO calls for exit, entry screening measures against Ebola spread
- 23/10/2014 Army, militants clashes in Lebanon’s Tripoli kill 4
- 23/10/2014 Ebola has killed 4,877, infected 9,936 so far: WHO
- 23/10/2014 Ebola killed 300 more people in five days
- 22/10/2014 Egypt hands death penalty to 7 jihadists for fatal attacks
- 21/10/2014 Egypt’s military court sentences seven people to death for terrorism
- 20/10/2014 WHO declares Nigeria Ebola-free
- 20/10/2014 Egypt disciplines 60 judges for supporting Brotherhood
- 19/10/2014 2 Egyptian soldiers killed in collapse of border tunnel
- 19/10/2014 Nigeria denies announcing date for girls' release
- 18/10/2014 Morsi says he is still Egypt's 'president'
- 18/10/2014 Rebels kill 22 people in DR Congo attack
- 18/10/2014 Deal signed with Boko Haram to ceasefire, release abducted girls: Nigeria official
- 18/10/2014 Egypt arrests Sinai leading militant
- 18/10/2014 Death toll in Libya's Benghazi clashes rises to 52
- 17/10/2014 Egypt court gives life terms to 25 Morsi supporters
- 16/10/2014 12 killed as Libya's Haftar forces fighting to retake Benghazi
- 15/10/2014 Ebola crisis: Outbreak death toll rises to 4,447 says WHO
- 14/10/2014 2 dead in new ethnic clashes in Algeria amid anti-riot troops strike
- 13/10/2014 Somali car bomb attack widely condemned
- 12/10/2014 Egypt’s Cairo to host Gaza restoration conferen
- 12/10/2014 Algerian troops kill 5 militants
- 11/10/2014 UN chief arrives in Libya's capital on unannounced visit - media
- 11/10/2014 Egypt quarantines 2 pilgrims on Corona fears
- 11/10/2014 Algerian troops kill three militants in Bouira
- 11/10/2014 Kenya says on high alert over Maburg outbreak
- 10/10/2014 Nine killed including U.N. peacekeeper in Central African Republic
- 09/10/2014 Libya PM: Egypt will help fight terrorism
- 09/10/2014 Death toll from Ebola in West Africa reaches 3,865
- 08/10/2014 Nigerian activists urge global action on abducted girls
- 07/10/2014 Somalian troops take back town from al-Shabab after more than 20 years
- 07/10/2014 Algeria army ambushes, arrests group on Niger border
- 06/10/2014 Somali envoy says Al-Shabaab losing more ground