The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 28/05/2015 Policeman killed, 7 wounded in Egypt's Sinai blast
- 27/05/2015 Militants attack Kenyan police near Garissa; 1 killed
- 27/05/2015 Africans should live in peace as one people: Zuma
- 27/05/2015 Libya PM survives assassination attempt
- 26/05/2015 Al-Shabaab takes control of strategic town in southern Somalia
- 24/05/2015 Egypt's Morsi trial over insulting judiciary postponed to July
- 24/05/2015 Egypt Brotherhood figure highlights 'nonviolent nature'
- 24/05/2015 Burundian opposition leader killed: AFP
- 24/05/2015 Boko Haram militants killed, hostages rescued in Nigeria
- 23/05/2015 Al-Shabab attack towns in south Somalia, 18 killed
- 23/05/2015 Egypt's Morsi on trial for 'insulting' court
- 23/05/2015 Army raids kill 17 Islamist militants in Egypt's Sinai
- 22/05/2015 More than 60 killed in central Nigeria attacks in two weeks: official
- 22/05/2015 2 killed, 11 injured as protests continue in Burundi
- 21/05/2015 French forces kill two senior Islamist insurgents in Mali
- 21/05/2015 Libya sets final sentence date for Gaddafi regime officials
- 21/05/2015 Two killed in S. African train collision
- 21/05/2015 Former Al-Shabaab commander urges militants to embrace dialogue
- 20/05/2015 Boko Haram attack kills eight people in NE Nigeria: Officials
- 19/05/2015 Burundi president fires defense chief after coup attempt
- 17/05/2015 Egypt court bans soccer fan groups as "terrorists"
- 16/05/2015 Morsi faces possible death penalty in Egypt jailbreak trial
- 16/05/2015 UN mission urges end to abduction of civilians in Libya
- 16/05/2015 UN chief calls for regional efforts to resolve Burundi crisis
- 14/05/2015 Burundi military coup attempt failed
- 14/05/2015 Four children killed in rocket attack in Libya's Benghazi city: officials
- 13/05/2015 Cholera claims 50 in Kenya: official
- 12/05/2015 5 soldiers killed in clashes near Libyan capital
- 12/05/2015 Moroccan F-16 jet from Saudi-led coalition in Yemen goes missing
- 12/05/2015 Hundreds evacuated from S. African prison fire
- 10/05/2015 3 police, 3 alleged Islamists killed in Egypt clashes
- 09/05/2015 Burundi opposition disregards call for halting protests
- 09/05/2015 Egyptian court sentences Mubarak, sons to three years in jail
- 09/05/2015 100,000 displaced by fighting in S. Sudan: UN
- 09/05/2015 Libya rejects EU migrant plan, says not asked
- 08/05/2015 Zimbabwe to host AU security meeting next week
- 06/05/2015 5 killed in clashes in west Libya
- 05/05/2015 Afghan talks agree on reopening Taliban political office
- 05/05/2015 Egypt's Mubarak can retain 'privileges': Legal body
- 03/05/2015 Nigerian troops rescue 234 women, children from Sambisa forest