The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 31/07/2014 Road accident kills 17 in central Tanzania
- 31/07/2014 Thousands flee to Tunisia to escape Libya fighting
- 30/07/2014 Temporary ceasefire in Tripoli, 75 bodies found in Benghazi
- 30/07/2014 At least 24 reported killed in Guinea beach concert stampede
- 30/07/2014 Former Libyan deputy PM kidnapped
- 29/07/2014 Egypt’s ousted pres. Morsi hails Gaza 'resistance'
- 29/07/2014 Egypt clashes leave 5 people dead near capital, Cairo
- 27/07/2014 Two Tunisian soldiers killed in militant attack
- 26/07/2014 Nigerian soldiers kill 25 anti-Israel protesters on Quds Day
- 26/07/2014 Diplomats, Marines evacuated from US Embassy in Libya
- 26/07/2014 UN chief in intense talks on possible Middle East truce
- 26/07/2014 Nigeria confirms death of Ebola virus victim
- 25/07/2014 Cholera outbreak reported in northern Nigeria
- 25/07/2014 Gunmen kill traditional leader in Nigeria
- 24/07/2014 Air Algerie plane with 116 on board crashes in Niger - UPDATED
- 22/07/2014 Nigeria Boko Haram attack causes over 15,000 to flee
- 22/07/2014 UN chief arrives in Cairo for talks on Gaza
- 21/07/2014 Helicopter crashes in Nigeria: Military
- 20/07/2014 Extremists kill more than 100 in northeast Nigeria
- 20/07/2014 Tunisia orders crackdown after militants kill 14 soldiers
- 20/07/2014 Gunmen kill 15 Egyptian border guards near Libya - officials
- 17/07/2014 Mali peace talks start in Algiers after prisoner swap
- 16/07/2014 Over 25 killed in Nigeria militant attack, government air strike
- 15/07/2014 UN pulls its staff from Libya due to worsening crisis
- 15/07/2014 Egypt unveils initiative for Gaza ceasefire
- 15/07/2014 Lukashenko, Medvedev discuss pressing issues of integration in Eurasian Economic Union
- 12/07/2014 94 Egypt students expelled over protests
- 09/07/2014 South African train collision injures at least 52
- 06/07/2014 Nigeria army says killed 53 Boko Haram Takfiris
- 05/07/2014 Senegal prime minister sacked after losing election
- 04/07/2014 Egyptian police nab 157 Morsi supporters
- 03/07/2014 Fresh violence leaves 5 dead in Egypt
- 03/07/2014 4 Tunisian soldiers killed by landmine
- 03/07/2014 Algerian soccer team receive "hero's welcome" at home
- 03/07/2014 Morsi's son jailed in drug taking case
- 03/07/2014 4 dead after cargo plane crashes in Kenya capital
- 02/07/2014 58 killed in hospitals in S Sudan conflict: Report
- 01/07/2014 Bomb kills 15 at market in northeast Nigeria
- 01/07/2014 U.N. peacekeeper killed, six others injured in Mali blast
- 30/06/2014 Nigerian World Cup optimism tempered by domestic unrest