The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 28/11/2014 Heavy casualties feared as bomb blast rocks mosque in northern Nigeria
- 28/11/2014 12 killed in bus overturn in upper Egypt
- 28/11/2014 33 Boko Haram militants killed in Nigeria clashes
- 27/11/2014 Ebola virus death toll rises to 5,689 people
- 26/11/2014 36 dead due to flood in Morocco
- 25/11/2014 Togo president hints at vying for 3rd term in office
- 25/11/2014 Libya's Mitiga airport bombed again by army warplane
- 25/11/2014 34 killed in twin suicide attacks in Nigeria
- 25/11/2014 9 dead, 7 injured in building collapse in Cairo
- 25/11/2014 Suspected Boko Haram militants attack Nigerian border town
- 24/11/2014 Unidentified jet targets airport in Libya's Tripoli: witnesses
- 24/11/2014 Pregnant Egyptian woman dies of H1N1 swine flu
- 23/11/2014 Suspected Islamist fighters in Mali kill two children, abduct 10
- 23/11/2014 Bomb goes off near railway station in southern Egypt
- 22/11/2014 50 killed in DR Congo attack
- 22/11/2014 Total of 40 people die of plague in Madagascar since August — WHO
- 22/11/2014 Bandits in Guinea steal suspected Ebola blood
- 22/11/2014 Up to 80 people killed by suspected Ugandan rebels in Congo: group
- 21/11/2014 International ministers 'press for progress' in Somalia
- 21/11/2014 5 police injured in blast outside Egypt university
- 20/11/2014 Statement by the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- 19/11/2014 Rocket attack in Egypt’s Sinai claims 10 lives
- 19/11/2014 Zambia to hold presidential by-election on January 20
- 18/11/2014 Egyptian government repeatedly violates constitution: ANHRI
- 18/11/2014 Egypt refers 5 students to military court over protest
- 18/11/2014 Modern slavery 'traps 35.8 million people'
- 18/11/2014 Kenya women march for right to wear mini-skirts
- 16/11/2014 At least 6 killed, 5 injured in northern Nigeria bomb attack
- 15/11/2014 38 killed in deadly crash in eastern Ethiopia
- 15/11/2014 Ebola virus death toll tops 5,177 - WHO
- 14/11/2014 Thousands of residents flee Nigerian town as Boko Haram goes on rampage
- 14/11/2014 Civilians in Central African Republic fear Ugandan rebel attacks
- 14/11/2014 Nine Turkish citizens detained by military group in Libya
- 13/11/2014 Unknown gunmen kill 5 Egyptian troops in restive Sinai
- 12/11/2014 Female suicide bomber dies in Nigeria college attack
- 12/11/2014 At least 8 killed, 4 injured in clashes in N. Kenya
- 11/11/2014 Militants reportedly capture Nigeria's Maiha town
- 11/11/2014 Egypt jihadists seek reinforcements with IS allegiance
- 11/11/2014 Suicide bomber kills dozens at school assembly in Nigeria
- 09/11/2014 Morocco not to host 2015 African Nations Cup