The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 16/08/2014 Egypt court sentences 10 Morsi loyalists to 25 years in jail
- 16/08/2014 34 killed in fresh Central African Republic attacks
- 16/08/2014 8 dead in Egypt fatal car crash
- 16/08/2014 Thousand plus evacuees arrive in Malta from Libya
- 16/08/2014 3 Islamist protesters killed in Egypt
- 15/08/2014 UN chief appoints new head of Libya mission
- 15/08/2014 7 killed in Egypt's pro-Morsi protests
- 15/08/2014 Nigeria records fourth case of Ebola fatalities in Lagos
- 13/08/2014 Libyan new parliament votes for direct presidential election
- 13/08/2014 Suspected Ebola patient from Germany tests negative in Rwanda
- 12/08/2014 Egypt Mufti slams Takfiri ISIL militants for Iraq, Syria atrocities
- 12/08/2014 Tripoli police chief assassinated by gunmen in Libya
- 12/08/2014 Death toll from Ebola virus disease exceeds 1,000 in West Africa
- 10/08/2014 Suspected Ebola cases under scrutiny in Ghana: authority
- 09/08/2014 No U.S. combat troops in Iraq, Obama reiterates
- 09/08/2014 Nigeria president declares national emergency over Ebola
- 06/08/2014 Egypt FM meets Blair, Serry on Gaza ceasefire
- 06/08/2014 U.S. announces 30 bln USD to boost economic ties with Africa
- 06/08/2014 4 militants killed in clashes in Egypt
- 06/08/2014 13 killed in Zimbabwe road crash
- 06/08/2014 WHO: Death toll from Ebola in W. Africa hits 887
- 03/08/2014 New Libyan parliament meets far from city battlegrounds
- 03/08/2014 Egypt denounces U.S. remarks on crackdown as "ignorant"
- 02/08/2014 Ebola-hit African states seal off outbreak epicentre
- 31/07/2014 Road accident kills 17 in central Tanzania
- 31/07/2014 Thousands flee to Tunisia to escape Libya fighting
- 30/07/2014 Temporary ceasefire in Tripoli, 75 bodies found in Benghazi
- 30/07/2014 At least 24 reported killed in Guinea beach concert stampede
- 30/07/2014 Former Libyan deputy PM kidnapped
- 29/07/2014 Egypt’s ousted pres. Morsi hails Gaza 'resistance'
- 29/07/2014 Egypt clashes leave 5 people dead near capital, Cairo
- 27/07/2014 Two Tunisian soldiers killed in militant attack
- 26/07/2014 Nigerian soldiers kill 25 anti-Israel protesters on Quds Day
- 26/07/2014 Diplomats, Marines evacuated from US Embassy in Libya
- 26/07/2014 UN chief in intense talks on possible Middle East truce
- 26/07/2014 Nigeria confirms death of Ebola virus victim
- 25/07/2014 Cholera outbreak reported in northern Nigeria
- 25/07/2014 Gunmen kill traditional leader in Nigeria
- 24/07/2014 Air Algerie plane with 116 on board crashes in Niger - UPDATED
- 22/07/2014 Nigeria Boko Haram attack causes over 15,000 to flee