The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 28/02/2015 Ebola survivors commend Chinese medical team
- 28/02/2015 Nigeria claims to liberate more towns from Boko Haram
- 28/02/2015 Egypt sends 4 Brotherhood leaders to death for HQ violence
- 27/02/2015 EU, African countries to convene on Ebola recovery
- 27/02/2015 Daesh recruiting youths through social media: Nigeria
- 27/02/2015 Egypt, Jordan urge int'l, Arab cooptation to combat terrorism
- 26/02/2015 Fifteen killed in central Somalia clash
- 25/02/2015 No criminal case against National Bank governor — Kiev prosecutor’s office
- 24/02/2015 Suicide bombers kill 12 at Nigerian bus station: police
- 24/02/2015 Gunmen kill 3 in Sudan's Darfur region
- 23/02/2015 Egypt's Morsi still alive: Son
- 22/02/2015 14 Boko Haram extremists killed in Niger
- 22/02/2015 240 Morsi backers referred to military court in Egypt
- 21/02/2015 Rocket attack hits airfield in east Libya
- 21/02/2015 At least 89 boys abducted in South Sudan
- 21/02/2015 Ebola virus death toll in West Africa reaches 9,353
- 21/02/2015 At least 20 people killed in Mogadishu explosions: police
- 20/02/2015 At least 21 killed as Boko Haram renews attack in northern Nigeria: witnesses
- 20/02/2015 More terrorists killed in Nigeria military operation: official
- 19/02/2015 Suspected ISIL militants seize university in Sirte: Report
- 19/02/2015 1,770 Egyptians back from Libya in 24 hrs: Official
- 19/02/2015 S. Sudan arrests 4 over UK aid worker death
- 19/02/2015 Boko Haram infiltrating IDP camps: Nigeria
- 19/02/2015 Egypt's Sisi tours border with Libya after bombing IS targets
- 18/02/2015 Egypt closes airspace to Libyan planes, airline says
- 18/02/2015 Death toll from Biu checkpoint blast, climbs to 36 - UPDATED
- 17/02/2015 Bomb attack leaves 11 dead in restive northeast Nigeria
- 17/02/2015 UN rights chief slams ISIL beheading of Egypt Christians
- 17/02/2015 Seven UN peacekeepers wounded in northern Mali blast
- 17/02/2015 Egypt bombs Islamic State targets in Libya after 21 Egyptians beheaded
- 17/02/2015 20 Shabaab militants killed in airstrike on S. Somalia
- 16/02/2015 4 soldiers killed in suspected Boko Haram attack in northern Cameroon
- 15/02/2015 Morsi asks to meet lawyer ahead of spying trial
- 15/02/2015 Nigerian military repels Boko Haram attack on northeast town
- 14/02/2015 Bomb hits Libyan oil pipeline, halting flow to port
- 14/02/2015 Ebola virus death toll in West Africa reaches 9,253 — WHO
- 13/02/2015 Sierra Leone locks down 700 homes after Ebola death
- 13/02/2015 Egyptian police captain dies in Cairo bomb blast
- 13/02/2015 Dozens feared killed in Nigeria market explosion
- 12/02/2015 Egypt frees two Al Jazeera journalists on bail