The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 21/09/2014 Death toll in Nigeria's collapsed building rises to 86
- 21/09/2014 Tunisia pres. announces re-election bid
- 20/09/2014 Egyptian police recruit shot dead by militants
- 19/09/2014 Eight members of Ebola prevention team killed in Guinea
- 18/09/2014 At least 20 killed in northern Nigeria college attack: hospital sources
- 17/09/2014 Death toll of Nigeria building collapse hits 70
- 17/09/2014 Death toll from Lagos church collapse rises to 62
- 16/09/2014 Toll from Nigeria's building collapse rises to 49
- 16/09/2014 Egypt's security forces kill 5 Sinai extremists
- 16/09/2014 Egypt's Brotherhood chief gets 25 years in jail
- 16/09/2014 Kenya to host regional conference on Ebola
- 14/09/2014 At least 35 people killed in road accident in CAR
- 14/09/2014 Nigeria church building collapse kills at least 17
- 13/09/2014 Egypt on frontline of fight against terror: Kerry
- 12/09/2014 Italian oil boss probed over Nigeria deal 'bribe'
- 10/09/2014 Islamist militants leave signed note on beheaded corpse in Sinai: residents
- 10/09/2014 Nigeria ignored early Ebola warnings: Experts
- 08/09/2014 Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah claims victory in lingering election
- 08/09/2014 12 civilians killed in Somalia attack - UPDATED
- 08/09/2014 AU opens emergency meeting over Ebola in Ethiopia's capital
- 07/09/2014 Nigerian troops raid suspected hideout of militants, killing over 50
- 07/09/2014 Somalia on high alert over Al Shabaab chief death
- 07/09/2014 Tanzanian president shocked at deadly road accident
- 07/09/2014 Kenya president lauds US for killing Al-Shabaab leader
- 06/09/2014 Tanzania bus collision kills at least 36, dozens injured
- 06/09/2014 Hundreds fear extremists, flee north Nigerian city
- 06/09/2014 7 killed in Egypt bus overturn
- 05/09/2014 Boko Haram a threat to Nigeria's army, future: US
- 04/09/2014 Two million people affected by deteriorating security situation in Libya
- 04/09/2014 Ebola death toll exceeds 1,900
- 03/09/2014 18 extremists killed in security raid in Egypt's Sinai
- 03/09/2014 UN calls for urgent efforts to save lives in drought-hit Somalia
- 03/09/2014 Three killed, nine injured when Libyan war plane crashes in eastern city
- 02/09/2014 Cameroon army says killed 40 Boko Haram militants
- 02/09/2014 10 soldiers killed in Benghazi clashes
- 02/09/2014 Militiamen storm US embassy in Libya
- 01/09/2014 Military action leaves Lesotho in power vacuum
- 01/09/2014 Nigerian president to attend AU security meeting in Kenya
- 31/08/2014 Boko Haram kills scores in Nigeria’s northeast
- 31/08/2014 Tunisia says 36 migrants dead in latest Mediterranean shipwreck