The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
- 16/04/2014 Algerian president calls for massive vote amid boycott
- 16/04/2014 48 die in bus and truck accident in Togo
- 16/04/2014 Kenya backs inter-party talks to resolve S. Sudan conflict
- 15/04/2014 As many as 200 girls abducted by Boko Haram, Nigerian officials say
- 15/04/2014 Egypt bans Brotherhood members from running in elections
- 15/04/2014 Nigerian bus station bombing kills 71 on edge of capital
- 15/04/2014 UN provides 15mln USD to support aid operations in S. Sudan
- 13/04/2014 Nigerian senator: '135 civilians killed' in attacks
- 12/04/2014 Two killed, 3 injured in Algeria sectarian clashes
- 12/04/2014 Helicopter crash kills three in central Namibia
- 12/04/2014 Prosecutor: Pistorius story doesn't add up
- 11/04/2014 Two Turkish workers heavily wounded in Somali rocket attack
- 09/04/2014 Niger extradites 10 former Gaddafi officials
- 09/04/2014 Libya's acting PM tasked to form new gov't
- 08/04/2014 150 killed in Nigeria attacks
- 06/04/2014 Libyan gunmen abduct 150 Egyptian truckers
- 05/04/2014 Death toll of tribal clashes in Egypt rises to 23
- 04/04/2014 Security has been intensified in Kenya's coastal city of Mombasa
- 04/04/2014 Russian and Azerbaijani Foreign Ministers meet in Moscow
- 04/04/2014 Egypt tightens security laws to crack down on Morsi supporters
- 03/04/2014 Militants kill military draftee in Egypt's Sinai
- 03/04/2014 Tension high in Mombasa after killing of Kenyan cleric
- 03/04/2014 Nigeria seek sponsors for African squash tournament
- 02/04/2014 Russian parliament moves to simplify citizenship requirements
- 02/04/2014 Rebels plan talks with Libyan gov't on oil port crisis
- 01/04/2014 4 suspected terrorists killed in explosions in Nigeria's Borno State
- 01/04/2014 Liberia confirms spread of 'unprecedented' Ebola epidemic
- 01/04/2014 Six killed in blast in Kenyan capital: emergency services
- 31/03/2014 Barroso calls Africa to integrate like EU for boosting growth
- 30/03/2014 AU envoy appalled by grenade attack on civilians in CAR
- 30/03/2014 12 killed in Tanzania road accident
- 30/03/2014 Egypt sentences two Morsi supporters to death
- 30/03/2014 10 killed, 37 injured in gas depot blast in Egypt
- 29/03/2014 4 killed as police, protesters clash in Egypt
- 29/03/2014 Kenyan police kill two suspects behind church attack in Mombasa
- 29/03/2014 Kenyan president says tourism sector 'on its knees' after attacks
- 29/03/2014 Zimbabwe's Mugabe shuns EU-Africa talks after wife not invited
- 29/03/2014 20 killed in grenade attack on C.Africa funeral service
- 28/03/2014 Egypt court to rule in Mubarak's corruption trial in May
- 27/03/2014 Nigeria wants return of Abacha assets frozen by US