Egypt's border security busts 7 tons of marijuana
The border guards in Suez governorate managed to bust a truck carrying construction material with sacks of marijuana underneath while it was crossing Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel.
The security forces also arrested a 50-year-old smuggler responsible for the load and his 22-year-old son.
Smuggling marijuana and hashish have been prevailing in Egypt over the past two years due to deteriorating security following the 2011 upheaval that toppled the former regime of Hosni Mubarak.
Over the past few months, the police arrested tens of drug smugglers and seized acres of lands planted with marijuana.
In March, the police arrested three men in Qena governorate with around one ton of marijuana, and also seized a land planted with over two acres of marijuana in Assiut. In late May, a farmer in Gharbiya governorate was arrested for planting half acre of his land with marijuana.
In the beginning of June, the police arrested two people in Sharqiya governorate with 750 kg of marijuana in their possession.
Related news releases
- 01.05.201615 killed, 40 injured in Somalia mosque collapse
- 30.04.2016At least 4 killed as heavy rains pound Kenyan capital
- 29.04.2016UN lifts Ivory Coast sanctions, plans to shut down mission
- 28.04.2016Russia launches first rocket from new spaceport at second attempt
- 28.04.2016Sierra Leone police fire guns, teargas at opposition supporters
- 28.04.2016Burundi death toll jumps to 31 in April: U.N. rights chief
- 26.04.2016Cholera spreads to S. Zambia; 2 killed, 35 hospitalized
- 21.04.2016Islamic State in retreat around east Libyan city
- 21.04.2016US State Secretary Kerry meets Egypt's Sisi in Cairo
- 19.04.20163 policemen killed in rocket attack in Egypt’s restive Sinai
- 19.04.2016Somalia estimates 200-300 citizens may have died in migrant drowning: minister
- 18.04.2016400 migrants drown in Mediterranean while crossing to Europe
- 18.04.2016Ethiopia says death toll from raid rises to 208; 108 children kidnapped
- 17.04.2016Gunmen kill 140 civilians near South Sudan: Ethiopia
- 16.04.2016Thousands march for political change in South Africa
- 15.04.2016Protesters demand fall of Egypt's government over islands deal
- 14.04.2016Nigeria air force strikes Boko Haram logistics base
- 12.04.2016Disasters claim 78 lives in SW Nigeria
- 11.04.2016Turkish vessel crew kidnapped off Nigerian coast
- 09.04.2016Nigerian troops foil Boko Haram suicide attack in northeast
- 31.03.2016FM: Citizens of Turkey and Azerbaijan killed in Somalia
- 30.03.2016Blasts and heavy gunfire heard in Tripoli
- 30.03.2016Grenade explosions injure 6 policemen, 1 child in Burundi capital
- 29.03.2016EgyptAir hijacker surrenders - UPDATED-6
- 29.03.2016Seventeen activists sentenced for rebelling against Angolan government
- 28.03.2016Egypt forces 32 judges to retire over Morsi ouster
- 28.03.2016Algeria helicopter crash kills at least 12 soldiers - ministry
- 26.03.2016Landmine blast kills five soldiers in eastern Egypt
- 26.03.2016At least 23 Al-Shabaab militants killed in central Somalia
- 25.03.2016Egypt kills 60 gunmen in North Sinai: army
- 24.03.2016African Union urges Sudan rebels to sign roadmap deal
- 24.03.2016Boko Haram abducts 16 women in Nigeria's Adamawa: polic
- 24.03.2016Hunger kills 21 in Burundi's Muyinga province
- 23.03.2016UN envoy prevented from flying to Tripoli
- 22.03.2016Russia court hands Ukraine pilot Savchenko 22-year sentence
- 20.03.201613 Egypt policemen killed in Sinai attack claimed by IS
- 19.03.2016Rockets hit Algeria gas plant in attack claimed by Qaeda
- 19.03.2016Cameroon sentences 89 Boko Haram suspects to death
- 18.03.20164 migrants dead, 187 rescued off Libyan coast
- 15.03.2016Suspected militants stage attack near key oil field in eastern Libya: guard