US: Trump signs order curbing foreign workers
President Donald Trump signed an executive order Tuesday that will make it more difficult for American companies to hire foreign workers, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The order directs all government agencies to review the H-1B temporary visa program as part of Trump’s “Buy American, Hire American” policy.
Trump pledged to end the program during his campaign for the Oval Office.
The executive action also orders an assessment of free trade agreements with foreign government contractors in a bid to offset any disadvantage to American stakeholders.
After a White House preview a day earlier, Trump made the announcement during a speech at Snap-On Tools in Wisconsin.
“I am proud to announce that we are to take bold new steps to follow through on my pledge to buy American and hire American”, Trump said.
The order will take months to take effect as the waivers and exceptions made to “Buy American” laws, including those included in dozens of trade deals, are reviewed.
“Over the years, these ‘Buy American’ standards have been gutted by excessive waivers and reckless exemptions,” Trump said Tuesday.
“The result has been countless jobs and countless contracts that have been lost to cheap, subsidized and low-quality foreign goods,” he added.
The use of H-1B visas by American companies is commonplace in the technology industry.
The Trump administration is concern the visas are awarded mostly to India-based companies for lower-paying jobs, effectively undercutting American workers in the job market.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017EU leaders give mixed reaction to 1st round of French election outcome
- 25.04.2017Merkel proposes international fund to support women
- 25.04.2017PACE votes to reopen monitoring procedure against Turkey
- 25.04.2017Hollande urges French to reject Le Pen in presidential run-off vote
- 25.04.2017France's Marine Le Pen steps down as leader of party
- 25.04.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry: Trump's statement on 1915 events contains false definitions - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Turkey strongly condemns burning of its flag in Armenia
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session: No-confidence vote proposed due to Agramunt’s Syria visit
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session to start today
- 24.04.2017Macron, Le Pen win first round of French presidential election
- 23.04.2017Tens of thousands protest German AfD party conference
- 23.04.2017Turkey to offer EU new proposal on visa waiver in May
- 22.04.2017Georgian opposition demands referendum on constitutional changes
- 22.04.2017Man arrested at Paris train station after threatening police with knife
- 22.04.2017French authorities identify Paris attacker
- 21.04.2017Turkish opposition party takes referendum row to Ankara court
- 21.04.2017British PM May says June election result 'not certain'
- 21.04.2017CMO chairman meets with Georgian parliamentary chairman
- 21.04.2017Poland wants to bring Smolensk plane crash before Int’l Court of Justice
- 21.04.2017Governor of Georgia’s Kvemo Kartli, densely populated by Azerbaijanis, may quit
- 21.04.2017European Parliament President: "New UK government could reverse Brexit"
- 21.04.2017Erdogan says Trump will do what Obama failed to do
- 21.04.2017New shots fired near Paris Champs-Eysees avenue - UPDATED
- 20.04.2017One police officer killed, another wounded in Paris shooting
- 20.04.2017Turkish Air Force kills 11 PKK terrorists in southeast
- 19.04.2017Opposition’s request to annul Turkey referendum results denied
- 19.04.2017Death penalty is incompatible with CoE membership, PACE warns Turkey
- 18.04.2017Two suspects in terrorist attack preparation detained in France
- 18.04.2017'I will protect you!' Le Pen tells voters ahead of presidential election
- 18.04.2017US: Turkey needs to maintain political dialogue
- 18.04.2017Trump congratulates Erdogan for Yes win in referendum - UPDATED
- 18.04.2017Turkish Cabinet decides to extend state of emergency for 3 months - UPDATED
- 18.04.2017We won't consider OSCE report on referendum: Erdogan
- 17.04.2017Turkey blasts OSCE 'bias' in referendum report
- 17.04.20175 die in Portugal plane crash: Local media
- 17.04.20171 soldier martyred in Turkey's southeast
- 17.04.2017OSCE: Turkey referendum contested ‘on an unlevel playing field’
- 17.04.2017Brother Saakashvili deprived of right to permanent residence in Ukraine
- 16.04.201762 immigrants rescued from dinghy off south coast of Spain
- 15.04.2017Czech Republic should not accept refugees under EU quotas - Interior Minister
- 19.04.2017Cargo ship with 12 people aboard sinks in Black Sea
- 19.04.2017Strong winds cause problems across Georgia’s Batumi
- 19.04.2017Four dead in Greek military helicopter crash
- 19.04.2017British PM May calls for early election to strengthen Brexit hand
- 18.04.2017Turkey awaits apology for biased European body observer
- 18.04.201712 killed in helicopter crash in eastern Turkey - UPDATED