US: Trump signs order curbing foreign workers
President Donald Trump signed an executive order Tuesday that will make it more difficult for American companies to hire foreign workers, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The order directs all government agencies to review the H-1B temporary visa program as part of Trump’s “Buy American, Hire American” policy.
Trump pledged to end the program during his campaign for the Oval Office.
The executive action also orders an assessment of free trade agreements with foreign government contractors in a bid to offset any disadvantage to American stakeholders.
After a White House preview a day earlier, Trump made the announcement during a speech at Snap-On Tools in Wisconsin.
“I am proud to announce that we are to take bold new steps to follow through on my pledge to buy American and hire American”, Trump said.
The order will take months to take effect as the waivers and exceptions made to “Buy American” laws, including those included in dozens of trade deals, are reviewed.
“Over the years, these ‘Buy American’ standards have been gutted by excessive waivers and reckless exemptions,” Trump said Tuesday.
“The result has been countless jobs and countless contracts that have been lost to cheap, subsidized and low-quality foreign goods,” he added.
The use of H-1B visas by American companies is commonplace in the technology industry.
The Trump administration is concern the visas are awarded mostly to India-based companies for lower-paying jobs, effectively undercutting American workers in the job market.
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Candidate for Georgian premiership says number of ministries will decrease
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone
- 15.06.2018Greece, Macedonia to sign name change accord June 17: Greek ministry
- 15.06.2018Police chief of Georgia’s Adjara region murdered
- 15.06.2018Turkish PM says state of emergency to be lifted
- 14.06.2018Turkish PM says armed attackers in southeastern Turkey are PKK supporters
- 14.06.2018France is ready to accept migrants from Aquarius Ship amid standoff with Italy - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Armed attack on campaigning AK Party members in SE Turkey leaves 3 dead, 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Mamuka Bakhtadze nominated as Georgian PM
- 14.06.2018Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 3 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.06.2018Macedonia president says won't approve name deal with Greece
- 13.06.2018Georgian PM resigns
- 13.06.2018Mogherini: EU to present proposals on security following Salisbury incident
- 13.06.2018Germany's Merkel calls for common EU refugee policy
- 13.06.2018Tesla cuts 9 percent of workforce in search for profit
- 12.06.2018Man arrested after hostage incident in Paris - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Turkish president: "We didn’t buy S-400 to keep them in store, will use if needed"
- 12.06.2018Greece, Macedonia resolving long-standing name row
- 12.06.2018Armed man holed up with hostages in Paris, police deployed to the scene
- 12.06.2018IMF will remain engaged in Greece, Lagarde says
- 10.06.2018Erdogan slams Austria for shutting mosques
- 09.06.2018Russia’s return to G7 requires implementation of Minsk Agreements — Merkel
- 09.06.2018Merkel says differences on trade remain despite joint G7 communique
- 09.06.2018Arab leaders to hold meeting with King Abdullah over Jordan crisis
- 09.06.2018Bomb kills one and wounds 14 in Iraq's Kirkuk
- 09.06.2018UK: Boris Johnson's Brexit remarks cause controversy
- 08.06.2018Three tourists die in Georgia rafting accident
- 08.06.2018Russian, US military leaders to meet in Helsinki
- 08.06.2018Vienna to host possible meeting between Putin and Trump
- 08.06.2018Erdogan hints at lifting state of emergency after polls
- 08.06.2018NATO, EU welcome Afghanistan’s ceasefire announcement
- 08.06.2018IAEA might resume inspections in North Korea after political solution found — diplomat
- 19.04.2017Cargo ship with 12 people aboard sinks in Black Sea
- 19.04.2017Strong winds cause problems across Georgia’s Batumi
- 19.04.2017Four dead in Greek military helicopter crash
- 19.04.2017British PM May calls for early election to strengthen Brexit hand
- 18.04.2017Turkey awaits apology for biased European body observer
- 18.04.201712 killed in helicopter crash in eastern Turkey - UPDATED