US: Trump signs order curbing foreign workers
President Donald Trump signed an executive order Tuesday that will make it more difficult for American companies to hire foreign workers, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The order directs all government agencies to review the H-1B temporary visa program as part of Trump’s “Buy American, Hire American” policy.
Trump pledged to end the program during his campaign for the Oval Office.
The executive action also orders an assessment of free trade agreements with foreign government contractors in a bid to offset any disadvantage to American stakeholders.
After a White House preview a day earlier, Trump made the announcement during a speech at Snap-On Tools in Wisconsin.
“I am proud to announce that we are to take bold new steps to follow through on my pledge to buy American and hire American”, Trump said.
The order will take months to take effect as the waivers and exceptions made to “Buy American” laws, including those included in dozens of trade deals, are reviewed.
“Over the years, these ‘Buy American’ standards have been gutted by excessive waivers and reckless exemptions,” Trump said Tuesday.
“The result has been countless jobs and countless contracts that have been lost to cheap, subsidized and low-quality foreign goods,” he added.
The use of H-1B visas by American companies is commonplace in the technology industry.
The Trump administration is concern the visas are awarded mostly to India-based companies for lower-paying jobs, effectively undercutting American workers in the job market.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017Turkey: Kurdish referendum threatens national security
- 22.09.2017Turkish council warns against northern Iraq referendum
- 22.09.2017Istanbul Mayor Kadir Topbas resigns
- 22.09.2017Turkish president lambastes 'Islamic terror' epithet
- 22.09.2017EU Commission launches move to tax digital economy
- 21.09.2017Union protests against French labor reform losing steam
- 21.09.2017EU Foreign Policy Chief sees ‘no need’ to renegotiate Iran nuclear agreement
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss Syrian peace plan next week
- 20.09.2017UK to suspend its military ties with Myanmar
- 18.09.2017Georgia’s sees 4.7% economic growth in 2Q17
- 17.09.2017Kurdish referendum a 'national security matter' says Turkish PM
- 17.09.2017Ankara summons German ambassador over pro-PKK rally
- 16.09.2017At least four killed in British motorway crash
- 16.09.2017Saakashvili plans to hold rally in front of Verkhovna Rada
- 16.09.2017Poroshenko to discuss situation in Donbas during meeting with Trump
- 16.09.2017At least 88 arrested in anti-drug raids in Turkey
- 16.09.2017Czech foreign minister lightly injured in car accident: ministry
- 16.09.2017Women injured in hammer attack in France
- 15.09.2017London blast is terror incident - police
- 15.09.2017Police evacuate homes near tube station after explosion on train carriage in London
- 15.09.2017Explosion on London underground train leaves at least 20 injured - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017Lawyer of Turkey’s main opposition CHP detained in Gulen probe
- 15.09.2017EU must change its view of Turkey: Turkish FM
- 15.09.2017Catalonia launches campaign for independence referendum
- 14.09.2017Another Azerbaijani nominated for post of head of executive authority in Georgia
- 14.09.2017UK Foreign Secretary Johnson to hold talks with U.S.' Tillerson in London
- 14.09.2017Paris, LA confirmed as 2024, 2028 Olympic hosts
- 13.09.2017Saakashvili announces rally in Ukraine’s Chernivtsi
- 13.09.2017Juncker: No new member in EU by 2019
- 12.09.2017Erdogan comments on allegations on his talk with Assad
- 12.09.2017Macron's labour reforms face protests across France
- 12.09.2017One million march in Barcelona for Catalan independence
- 12.09.2017Norway's right-wing government seems set for re-election-projections
- 11.09.2017US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State visits Georgia
- 11.09.2017Georgian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 10.09.2017About 70 people arrested in UK during protests against major arms fair
- 09.09.2017Erdogan, Trump agree to meet during UN assembly - UPDATED
- 09.09.2017NATO Agile Spirit 2017 military exercises underway in Georgia
- 09.09.2017Turkish soldier succumbs to wounds from PKK attack
- 08.09.2017Saakashvili vows to return to Ukraine with ‘thousands’ of supporters
- 19.04.2017Cargo ship with 12 people aboard sinks in Black Sea
- 19.04.2017Strong winds cause problems across Georgia’s Batumi
- 19.04.2017Four dead in Greek military helicopter crash
- 19.04.2017British PM May calls for early election to strengthen Brexit hand
- 18.04.2017Turkey awaits apology for biased European body observer
- 18.04.201712 killed in helicopter crash in eastern Turkey - UPDATED