UK court jails men over terror plot
A British court on Thursday handed down life sentences to four men convicted of plotting to attack police or military targets, APA reports quoting AA.
The men were arrested in various English locations in August 2016 when officers found weapons and a partially constructed pipe bomb after months of surveillance.
Naweed Ali, 29, and Khobaib Hussain, 25, both from Birmingham, and Mohibur Rahman, 33, from Stoke-on-Trent, had planned a "mass casualty attack", according to prosecutors. The trio had dubbed themselves the 'Three Musketeers' in encrypted communications intercepted by the security forces.
Thirty-eight-year-old Tahir Aziz, who is from Stoke, was also charged with planning a terror attack.
The judge said the men were gripped by a "long-standing, radical, violent ideology".
Ali, Hussain and Rahman previously served jail terms for terror-related offenses and were sentenced to a minimum of 20 years in prison. Aziz received a minimum 15-year term.
The men were arrested on Aug. 26 last year when a bag of weapons, including a pipe bomb, an air pistol and a meat cleaver were found in Ali’s car. In Aziz’s car, police also found a samurai sword.
The court heard the group had planned to murder police or military figures and might have also planned to use their vehicles as weapons after being inspired by the July 2016 Nice terrorist attack in France.
British police have raised their efforts to prevent terror-related planning amid attacks in London and Manchester which left dozens of people dead this year.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Georgian parliamentary committee chairman: Attempts being made to cause unrest in Marneuli
- 21.10.2017Georgia elections: High voter turnout in Azerbaijani-populated region as of 12:00 AM
- 21.10.2017Georgia’s interior minister says Marneuli armed incident ‘has nothing to do with politics’
- 21.10.2017Voters in Georgia’s Marneuli populated by Azerbaijanis under pressure, claims opposition party
- 21.10.2017Azerbaijani CEC reps observe local elections in Georgia
- 21.10.2017Spain must thwart attempt to split the country - King Felipe VI
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani wounded in armed incident in Georgia in critical condition
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani ambassador visits those wounded in armed attack in Georgia’s Marneuli
- 20.10.2017US ambassador calls armed incident in Georgia’s Marneuli ‘an unacceptable violence’
- 20.10.2017Georgian Interior Ministry issues statement on armed attack on five people in Marneuli
- 20.10.2017Merkel says EU leaders favour dialogue with Turkey
- 20.10.2017EU leaders seek Brexit talks progress
- 19.10.2017Erdogan questions US partnership over visa row
- 19.10.2017European Parliament president: Europe will not recognize independent Catalonia
- 19.10.2017Spanish government to suspend Catalonia's political autonomy
- 19.10.2017Catalonia to formally declare independence if Spain suspends regional autonomy: source
- 18.10.2017600 int’l observers to monitor elections in Georgia
- 18.10.2017Majority of discrimination cases in Georgia occur on religious, ethnic grounds
- 18.10.2017UK's Brexit minister says there is no plan to leave Brexit talks
- 17.10.2017Catalans hold rally in Barcelona to support jailed leaders
- 17.10.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.10.2017Polish President Duda says hopes Turkey will join EU
- 17.10.2017Ten suspects allegedly 'plotting to kill' politicians arrested in France
- 17.10.201712 wounded in bomb attack against police shuttle in Turkey’s Mersin
- 17.10.2017Georgia detains Armenian citizen over cigarette smuggling
- 17.10.2017Ukrainian police report some 6,000 attending rallies in central Kyiv
- 17.10.2017Two Catalonian leaders behind independence movement detained for sedition
- 17.10.2017Turkish court frees US Consulate worker’s wife, child
- 16.10.20172 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 16.10.2017Turkey closes airspace for flights to northern Iraq
- 16.10.2017EU defends Iran deal despite Trump, appeals to U.S. Congress
- 16.10.2017Two killed as Storm Ophelia lashes Ireland, UK
- 16.10.2017Former Turkish CHP head Deniz Baykal taken to hospital over severe influenza
- 15.10.2017Cargo plane crash off Ivory Coast kills four Moldovans
- 15.10.2017Poland doctors demand better pay, hike in funding for health care system
- 14.10.2017Turkey, Russia seen coordinating on Syria
- 14.10.2017Turkey welcomes Hamas-Fatah reconciliation
- 14.10.2017IAEA: Tehran Implements All Commitments Under Iran Nuclear Deal
- 14.10.2017EU's top diplomat defends Iran deal after Trump speech
- 13.10.2017Turkish army chief inspects troops near Syrian border
- 03.08.2017Air France expands North Korea no-fly zone after missile miss
- 03.08.2017Russian, US diplomats discuss North Korea
- 04.08.2017New US sanctions reflect Washington’s economic goals — German official
- 03.08.2017EU's Juncker says ready to retaliate if needed over new U.S. sanctions on Russia
- 02.08.2017Turkey names new land, naval, air force commanders
- 02.08.2017U.S. VP Pence accuses Russia of attempted coup in Montenegro