UK court jails men over terror plot
A British court on Thursday handed down life sentences to four men convicted of plotting to attack police or military targets, APA reports quoting AA.
The men were arrested in various English locations in August 2016 when officers found weapons and a partially constructed pipe bomb after months of surveillance.
Naweed Ali, 29, and Khobaib Hussain, 25, both from Birmingham, and Mohibur Rahman, 33, from Stoke-on-Trent, had planned a "mass casualty attack", according to prosecutors. The trio had dubbed themselves the 'Three Musketeers' in encrypted communications intercepted by the security forces.
Thirty-eight-year-old Tahir Aziz, who is from Stoke, was also charged with planning a terror attack.
The judge said the men were gripped by a "long-standing, radical, violent ideology".
Ali, Hussain and Rahman previously served jail terms for terror-related offenses and were sentenced to a minimum of 20 years in prison. Aziz received a minimum 15-year term.
The men were arrested on Aug. 26 last year when a bag of weapons, including a pipe bomb, an air pistol and a meat cleaver were found in Ali’s car. In Aziz’s car, police also found a samurai sword.
The court heard the group had planned to murder police or military figures and might have also planned to use their vehicles as weapons after being inspired by the July 2016 Nice terrorist attack in France.
British police have raised their efforts to prevent terror-related planning amid attacks in London and Manchester which left dozens of people dead this year.
Related news releases
- 21.08.2017Spanish police arrest main Barcelona attack suspect
- 20.08.2017Train station in France evacuated over terror alarm
- 19.08.2017Turkey says no country can combat terrorism alone
- 19.08.2017Muslims hold demonstration against terrorism in Barcelona
- 19.08.2017Turkish origin German writer whose works focus on so-called “Armenian genocide” detained in Spain
- 19.08.2017Georgia’s opposition unity proposes renaming Moscow Avenue in Tbilisi
- 19.08.2017Barcelona van attacker among five killed by police
- 19.08.2017Stabbing attack reported near Dusseldorf: 1 killed, police seeking perpetrator
- 18.08.2017Bomb blast martyrs Turkish guard in southeast
- 18.08.2017Erdogan calls on Turks in Germany not to vote for Merkel, Schulz, Greens
- 18.08.2017Seven dead as tractor carrying workers overturns in Turkey
- 18.08.2017Police detain third suspect in Catalonia terror attacks
- 18.08.2017Barcelona terror attack: CIA warned police two months ago Las Ramblas could be target of terrorist attack
- 18.08.2017Citizens of 18 countries suffered in Barcelona attack
- 18.08.2017Another terror attack committed in Spain, five suspects killed
- 18.08.2017US drone crashes in southern Turkey
- 18.08.2017Driss Oukabir who rented Barcelona attack van reports theft of documents
- 17.08.2017ISIL claims responsibility for Barcelona van attack
- 17.08.2017Three police officers 'hit by car' at road block near attack scene
- 17.08.2017Suspect in Barcelona terrorist attack reportedly arrested
- 17.08.2017New round of Syria peace talks in Geneva may start on Sept. 7 - Cairo Group
- 17.08.2017Police identify person behind Barcelona terror attack - UPDATED
- 16.08.2017Merkel opposes EU-Turkey divorce
- 16.08.2017Turkey: 41 people arrested over suspected PKK links
- 16.08.2017Next special operation held in Georgian settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 16.08.2017Greece asks EU help to tackle forest fires
- 15.08.2017Tree falls in Portugal's Madeira Island, killing 12
- 15.08.2017Turkish, French presidents talk on phone
- 15.08.2017Georgia’s Interior Ministry issues statement on special operation in settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 15.08.2017Germany's Merkel says open to all coalition options
- 15.08.2017Car plows into crowd at cafe outside Paris
- 14.08.2017Georgia intends to fully use its transit potential
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s foreign trade turnover increases 13%
- 13.08.2017Home politics leads criticism of Turkey, Erdogan says
- 13.08.2017Turkey mourns teenage boy martyred by PKK
- 12.08.2017In the south of Poland overturned a passenger bus, 28 injure
- 12.08.2017Turkish president expects improvement of Turkey-Germany relations after Bundestag election
- 12.08.2017Relations with Germany to normalize after Bundestag elections, Erdoğan says
- 12.08.2017Education level at Azerbaijani schools in Georgia rated low
- 03.08.2017Air France expands North Korea no-fly zone after missile miss
- 03.08.2017Russian, US diplomats discuss North Korea
- 04.08.2017New US sanctions reflect Washington’s economic goals — German official
- 03.08.2017EU's Juncker says ready to retaliate if needed over new U.S. sanctions on Russia
- 02.08.2017Turkey names new land, naval, air force commanders
- 02.08.2017U.S. VP Pence accuses Russia of attempted coup in Montenegro