UK court jails men over terror plot
A British court on Thursday handed down life sentences to four men convicted of plotting to attack police or military targets, APA reports quoting AA.
The men were arrested in various English locations in August 2016 when officers found weapons and a partially constructed pipe bomb after months of surveillance.
Naweed Ali, 29, and Khobaib Hussain, 25, both from Birmingham, and Mohibur Rahman, 33, from Stoke-on-Trent, had planned a "mass casualty attack", according to prosecutors. The trio had dubbed themselves the 'Three Musketeers' in encrypted communications intercepted by the security forces.
Thirty-eight-year-old Tahir Aziz, who is from Stoke, was also charged with planning a terror attack.
The judge said the men were gripped by a "long-standing, radical, violent ideology".
Ali, Hussain and Rahman previously served jail terms for terror-related offenses and were sentenced to a minimum of 20 years in prison. Aziz received a minimum 15-year term.
The men were arrested on Aug. 26 last year when a bag of weapons, including a pipe bomb, an air pistol and a meat cleaver were found in Ali’s car. In Aziz’s car, police also found a samurai sword.
The court heard the group had planned to murder police or military figures and might have also planned to use their vehicles as weapons after being inspired by the July 2016 Nice terrorist attack in France.
British police have raised their efforts to prevent terror-related planning amid attacks in London and Manchester which left dozens of people dead this year.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2018Number of Azerbaijanis who illegally visited occupied Georgian territories revealed
- 23.07.2018Miners stage protest in western Georgia
- 22.07.2018Turkish, US treasury chiefs to meet at G20 event
- 22.07.2018One person killed in Norwegian gyrocopter crash:
- 21.07.2018UK detains 2 Dutch nationals for importing 1.6 tons of cocaine
- 21.07.20182 dead after migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 21.07.2018Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
- 20.07.2018Germany bus incident: At least 14 injured in suspected knife attack in Lubeck
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 03.08.2017Air France expands North Korea no-fly zone after missile miss
- 03.08.2017Russian, US diplomats discuss North Korea
- 04.08.2017New US sanctions reflect Washington’s economic goals — German official
- 03.08.2017EU's Juncker says ready to retaliate if needed over new U.S. sanctions on Russia
- 02.08.2017Turkey names new land, naval, air force commanders
- 02.08.2017U.S. VP Pence accuses Russia of attempted coup in Montenegro