UEFA president "deeply disturbed" by explosions to Dortmund's team bus
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin was "deeply disturbed" following explosions to the Bundesliga side Dortmund's team bus ahead of Champions League quarter-final clash against Ligue 1 side Monaco on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
According to local police, Dortmund's team bus has been attacked with a bomb on its way to the stadium around 7 p.m. local time for the quarter-final first leg matchup, and Spanish defender Marc Bartra was in hospital with arm and hand injury caused by shattered window.
The matchup between Dortmund and Monaco was postponed to 6:45 p.m. local time on Wednesday after a meeting between UEFA, representatives of the two clubs and local authorities.
"I was deeply disturbed by the explosions which occurred in Dortmund," said Ceferin, adding that the decision to postpone the match was correct as safety of all fans, team officials and players must be prioritized.
Ceferin also showed his sincere gratitude to the representatives of the two clubs, the local authorities, and the supporters for their cooperation in dealing with the matter.
Monaco expressed its full support for the Borussia Dortmund players and everyone at the club in a statement on its official website.
Bartra has undergone a wrist surgery late Tuesday, said spokesman of the club.
Local police were working on the assumption that the bomb was directly targeted at the club, while refusing to link the explosion to an organized terror attack.
Related news releases
- 30.04.2017Merkel: EU's Tusk to seek talks with Erdogan
- 29.04.2017EU states agree on Brexit guidelines: EC head Tusk
- 29.04.2017Current Speaker of Albanian Parliament elected President
- 29.04.2017Macedonian Crisis: Bulgarian leader calls for respect of democracy amid clashes
- 29.04.2017Four Turkish soldiers hurt in landmine blast
- 28.04.2017Strong winds cause damage across Georgia’s Poti
- 28.04.2017PACE president comments on calls for his resignation
- 28.04.2017Uncertainty grows over Agramunt’s presidency of PACE
- 28.04.2017Croatian PM rules out early election
- 28.04.2017Macedonian police fire stun grenades after protesters storm parliament
- 28.04.2017Protesters stormed into Macedonia's parliament and assaulted MPs - VIDEO
- 28.04.2017Turkish President: EU cannot question our democracy
- 27.04.2017Turkish supreme electoral body approves results of constitutional referendum
- 27.04.2017Soldier suspected of planning terror attack in Germany
- 27.04.2017Turkey’s ruling party to convene extraordinary congress on May 21
- 27.04.2017Russian warship sinks after collision off Istanbul coast, all soldiers rescued
- 27.04.2017Remains of 19th century Russian soldier found in Turkey
- 26.04.2017France's Hollande tells ministers to ensure big election defeat for Le Pen
- 26.04.2017FM Cavusoglu: Turkey will reconsider its relations with Council of Europe
- 26.04.2017Czech parliament adopts resolution condemning so-called “Armenian genocide”
- 26.04.2017Erdogan slams 'political' Council of Europe decision
- 26.04.2017Brexit takes center stage as Britain's election battle continues
- 25.04.2017EU leaders give mixed reaction to 1st round of French election outcome
- 25.04.2017Merkel proposes international fund to support women
- 25.04.2017PACE votes to reopen monitoring procedure against Turkey
- 25.04.2017Hollande urges French to reject Le Pen in presidential run-off vote
- 25.04.2017France's Marine Le Pen steps down as leader of party
- 25.04.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry: Trump's statement on 1915 events contains false definitions - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Turkey strongly condemns burning of its flag in Armenia
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session: No-confidence vote proposed due to Agramunt’s Syria visit
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session to start today
- 24.04.2017Macron, Le Pen win first round of French presidential election
- 23.04.2017Tens of thousands protest German AfD party conference
- 23.04.2017Turkey to offer EU new proposal on visa waiver in May
- 22.04.2017Georgian opposition demands referendum on constitutional changes
- 22.04.2017Man arrested at Paris train station after threatening police with knife
- 22.04.2017French authorities identify Paris attacker
- 21.04.2017Turkish opposition party takes referendum row to Ankara court
- 21.04.2017British PM May says June election result 'not certain'
- 21.04.2017CMO chairman meets with Georgian parliamentary chairman
- 13.04.2017Daesh, PKK, FETO all trying to hurt Turkey: Erdogan
- 13.04.2017Road to EU open for Western Balkans if progress, reforms prevail – German FM
- 13.04.2017British soccer fans clash with police before game in Madrid
- 12.04.2017German police find note near scene of Dortmund bus attack - UPDATED
- 11.04.2017Borussia Dortmund v Monaco postponed after blasts near team bus - UPDATED
- 11.04.2017G7 fails to agree sanctions on Russia after 'chemical attack'