UEFA president "deeply disturbed" by explosions to Dortmund's team bus
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin was "deeply disturbed" following explosions to the Bundesliga side Dortmund's team bus ahead of Champions League quarter-final clash against Ligue 1 side Monaco on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
According to local police, Dortmund's team bus has been attacked with a bomb on its way to the stadium around 7 p.m. local time for the quarter-final first leg matchup, and Spanish defender Marc Bartra was in hospital with arm and hand injury caused by shattered window.
The matchup between Dortmund and Monaco was postponed to 6:45 p.m. local time on Wednesday after a meeting between UEFA, representatives of the two clubs and local authorities.
"I was deeply disturbed by the explosions which occurred in Dortmund," said Ceferin, adding that the decision to postpone the match was correct as safety of all fans, team officials and players must be prioritized.
Ceferin also showed his sincere gratitude to the representatives of the two clubs, the local authorities, and the supporters for their cooperation in dealing with the matter.
Monaco expressed its full support for the Borussia Dortmund players and everyone at the club in a statement on its official website.
Bartra has undergone a wrist surgery late Tuesday, said spokesman of the club.
Local police were working on the assumption that the bomb was directly targeted at the club, while refusing to link the explosion to an organized terror attack.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2017NATO Secretary General: US has expanded its military presence in Europe
- 28.06.2017Ukrainian Interior Ministry accuses Russia of Cyberattacks
- 27.06.2017Charlie Gard parents lose European court appeal
- 27.06.2017Ukrainian banks, electricity firm hit by fresh cyber attack
- 27.06.2017PACE approves report giving grounds for president Agramunt impeachment
- 27.06.2017Al Qaeda releases Swedish hostage after almost six years
- 27.06.2017Italian police use tear gas against migrants at border with France
- 26.06.2017Turkish soldier martyred in mortar attack from N. Iraq
- 25.06.2017UK to maintain duty-free access for developing countries after Brexit
- 25.06.2017UK Parliament hit by cyber-attack
- 25.06.2017Two hundred migrants rescued off Spanish coast
- 24.06.2017London tower blocks evacuated as 27 buildings fail fire tests
- 24.06.20178 Emirati princesses sentenced for mistreating servants
- 24.06.20173 Turkish soldiers wounded in counter-terror operation
- 24.06.2017Five London high-rises evacuated over fire safety fears
- 24.06.2017EU leaders summit ends in Brussels
- 23.06.20176 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in SE Turkey operation
- 23.06.2017Five electrocuted in swimming pool in Turkey
- 23.06.2017EU will restrict visas for states not taking back migrants
- 23.06.2017Theresa May vows 'settled' status for EU expats in post-Brexit UK
- 22.06.2017European Union is to extend sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- 22.06.2017French central banker backs European Commission proposals on clearing
- 22.06.20176 suspects remanded in Turkish army food poisoning
- 22.06.2017France's Macron taps newcomers for reshuffle as conservatives split
- 21.06.2017Mehmet Akarca: Turkey wants all countries to enjoy friendly relations
- 21.06.2017Turkey spends $5 billion on refugees every year – gov’t official
- 21.06.2017Mehmet Akarca: No country provided serious assistance to Turkey during refugee crisis
- 21.06.2017UK PM May says will consult widely on Brexit, but Britain will leave EU
- 21.06.2017UK charges man arrested in East London with terror offenses
- 21.06.2017Man shot in Brussels rail station amid bomb belt claims
- 20.06.2017Canadair plane crashes in Portugal, no information yet about casualties
- 20.06.2017Soldier martyred, 6 injured in eastern Turkey
- 20.06.2017Portugal's deadliest fire still rages after 63 people killed
- 19.06.2017Fire at French nuclear reactor, safety body says no radiation
- 19.06.2017Car rams police vehicle on Paris' Champs Elysees, driver likely dead
- 19.06.2017Lightning strikes Turkish plane flying to Georgia
- 18.06.2017Forest fire in central Portugal leaves 24 people dead
- 18.06.2017France offers UK assistance in Grenfell tower fire investigation
- 18.06.2017Londoners protest against May's conservative party likely deal with DUP
- 18.06.2017Two earthquakes rattle Aegean Sea
- 13.04.2017Daesh, PKK, FETO all trying to hurt Turkey: Erdogan
- 13.04.2017Road to EU open for Western Balkans if progress, reforms prevail – German FM
- 13.04.2017British soccer fans clash with police before game in Madrid
- 12.04.2017German police find note near scene of Dortmund bus attack - UPDATED
- 11.04.2017Borussia Dortmund v Monaco postponed after blasts near team bus - UPDATED
- 11.04.2017G7 fails to agree sanctions on Russia after 'chemical attack'