UEFA president "deeply disturbed" by explosions to Dortmund's team bus
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin was "deeply disturbed" following explosions to the Bundesliga side Dortmund's team bus ahead of Champions League quarter-final clash against Ligue 1 side Monaco on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
According to local police, Dortmund's team bus has been attacked with a bomb on its way to the stadium around 7 p.m. local time for the quarter-final first leg matchup, and Spanish defender Marc Bartra was in hospital with arm and hand injury caused by shattered window.
The matchup between Dortmund and Monaco was postponed to 6:45 p.m. local time on Wednesday after a meeting between UEFA, representatives of the two clubs and local authorities.
"I was deeply disturbed by the explosions which occurred in Dortmund," said Ceferin, adding that the decision to postpone the match was correct as safety of all fans, team officials and players must be prioritized.
Ceferin also showed his sincere gratitude to the representatives of the two clubs, the local authorities, and the supporters for their cooperation in dealing with the matter.
Monaco expressed its full support for the Borussia Dortmund players and everyone at the club in a statement on its official website.
Bartra has undergone a wrist surgery late Tuesday, said spokesman of the club.
Local police were working on the assumption that the bomb was directly targeted at the club, while refusing to link the explosion to an organized terror attack.
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Key cardinal rebukes pope over abuse comment in rare move
- 21.01.2018Turkish army chief speaks to US, Russian counterparts
- 21.01.2018Turkish ground offensive into Afrin likely to start on Sunday: PM Yıldırım
- 20.01.2018Hotel fire in Prague kills two, injures Dozens
- 20.01.2018Turkey says Afrin operation targets terrorists
- 20.01.2018Erdogan: Ground operation in Syria's Afrin begins
- 20.01.201813 killed, 42 injured in bus accident in Turkey
- 20.01.2018Turkish presidential aide, US adviser discuss terrorism
- 19.01.2018Georgia PM won’t run for president
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm Friederike causes Dutch and German transport chaos
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 16.01.2018Denmark will increase defense spending to counter Russia: PM
- 16.01.2018Up to 20 injured in Belgium blast
- 16.01.2018Lead singer of The Cranberries dies aged 46 in London
- 16.01.2018Turkish premier talks to Iraqi counterpart over phone
- 15.01.2018Germany's Christian Democrats approve coalition deal
- 15.01.2018US treats Turkey as its ‘enemy’, says PM Yildirim
- 15.01.2018Hotel catches fire in Tbilisi
- 14.01.2018Turkey rejects idea of 'Privileged Partnership' with European Union
- 14.01.2018Dozen of Neo-Nazis arrested over participation in unauthorized rally in Sweden
- 13.01.2018Explosion injures 8 in northern Albania
- 13.01.2018Thousands protest against Austrian government's shift to the right
- 13.01.2018Miloš Zeman leads first round of Czech Republic presidential elections
- 13.01.2018Czech presidential vote sets up Zeman-Drahos second round clash
- 13.01.2018EU to assess Trump statement on Iran
- 13.01.2018Germany to keep seeking full implementation of Iran deal
- 13.01.2018UK police arrest woman at Heathrow Airport on suspicion of terror activity
- 13.01.2018Turkey is much safer than the US: Turkish FM
- 13.04.2017Daesh, PKK, FETO all trying to hurt Turkey: Erdogan
- 13.04.2017Road to EU open for Western Balkans if progress, reforms prevail – German FM
- 13.04.2017British soccer fans clash with police before game in Madrid
- 12.04.2017German police find note near scene of Dortmund bus attack - UPDATED
- 11.04.2017Borussia Dortmund v Monaco postponed after blasts near team bus - UPDATED
- 11.04.2017G7 fails to agree sanctions on Russia after 'chemical attack'