UEFA president "deeply disturbed" by explosions to Dortmund's team bus
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin was "deeply disturbed" following explosions to the Bundesliga side Dortmund's team bus ahead of Champions League quarter-final clash against Ligue 1 side Monaco on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
According to local police, Dortmund's team bus has been attacked with a bomb on its way to the stadium around 7 p.m. local time for the quarter-final first leg matchup, and Spanish defender Marc Bartra was in hospital with arm and hand injury caused by shattered window.
The matchup between Dortmund and Monaco was postponed to 6:45 p.m. local time on Wednesday after a meeting between UEFA, representatives of the two clubs and local authorities.
"I was deeply disturbed by the explosions which occurred in Dortmund," said Ceferin, adding that the decision to postpone the match was correct as safety of all fans, team officials and players must be prioritized.
Ceferin also showed his sincere gratitude to the representatives of the two clubs, the local authorities, and the supporters for their cooperation in dealing with the matter.
Monaco expressed its full support for the Borussia Dortmund players and everyone at the club in a statement on its official website.
Bartra has undergone a wrist surgery late Tuesday, said spokesman of the club.
Local police were working on the assumption that the bomb was directly targeted at the club, while refusing to link the explosion to an organized terror attack.
Related news releases
- 27.04.2018Turkish FM, Pompeo to discuss Afghanistan in Brussels
- 26.04.2018Poland plans to safeguard Iran nuclear deal during in UNSC – FM
- 26.04.2018Erdogan urges UN to intensify efforts for Syria peace
- 26.04.2018Bidzina Ivanishvili to lead Georgia's ruling party
- 26.04.2018Russia-wary U.S. to press NATO allies to hike military spending
- 26.04.2018Croatian police arrest suspect behind global cyber attack platform
- 26.04.2018European powers say nearing plan to save Iran nuclear pact
- 26.04.2018Turkish solider martyred in PKK terror attack
- 25.04.2018German Chancellor Merkel backs Albania’s EU perspective
- 25.04.2018Macron at odds with Trump agenda during Congress speech
- 24.04.2018PACE 'double standard' for postponed polls: Deputy PM
- 24.04.2018Armored vehicle maker BMC wins Turkish battle tank bid
- 24.04.2018PACE calls on Turkey to ‘postpone’ June 24 snap elections
- 24.04.2018CoE may take action against Russia in event of failure to pay a contribution to the budget
- 23.04.2018OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs release statement on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 23.04.2018Former Georgian defense minister jailed for 9 years
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 13.04.2017Daesh, PKK, FETO all trying to hurt Turkey: Erdogan
- 13.04.2017Road to EU open for Western Balkans if progress, reforms prevail – German FM
- 13.04.2017British soccer fans clash with police before game in Madrid
- 12.04.2017German police find note near scene of Dortmund bus attack - UPDATED
- 11.04.2017Borussia Dortmund v Monaco postponed after blasts near team bus - UPDATED
- 11.04.2017G7 fails to agree sanctions on Russia after 'chemical attack'