U.S. aid agency finances restoration of Azerbaijani-language schools in Georgia
Millennium Challenge Corporation, a U.S. foreign aid agency, is financing the reconstruction of 13 schools in Georgia’s Kvemo Kartli region, which is densely populated by Azerbaijanis.
This announcement was made at a press conference held by the agency in Tbilisi on Wednesday, APA’s correspondent reported from Tbilisi.
Kartlos Kipiani, the agency’s Georgia office director for infrastructure projects, said 9 of the reconstructed schools in the region are Azerbaijani-medium schools.
"The ongoing school reconstruction is expected to be completed by May of this year. Although Kvemo Kartli is in need of more school reconstruction, the fund's capabilities are limited. The organization is carrying out restoration work at about 90 schools throughout Georgia,” he added.
As for the determination of schools in need of repair, Kipiani noted that educational institutions are selected according to specific criteria.
Millennium Challenge Corporation has allocated a grant of $68 million to implement educational infrastructure projects in Georgia. The U.S. agency will continue to restore public schools in Georgia’s districts in 2018. The restoration of 33 public schools in western Georgia will be launched this year. In 2017, the agency completed the restoration of 30 public schools in different districts of Georgia.
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 15.02.2018Turkey’s opposition leader Kilicdaroglu hospitalized
- 15.02.2018NATO to modernize command structure
- 14.02.2018Turkish defense min. meets US counterpart in Brussels
- 14.02.2018France will strike Syria if chemical weapons use proven
- 14.02.2018Saakashvili promises more protests in Ukraine
- 14.02.2018Turkish, Greek prime ministers speak over phone
- 13.02.2018Martin Schulz resigns as German SPD chief
- 13.02.20183 killed as migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 13.02.2018Dutch foreign minister resigns after lying about Putin
- 13.02.2018UK judge refuses to withdraw arrest warrant for Assange
- 13.02.2018Turkish defense head attends anti-Daesh meeting in Rome
- 13.02.2018N. Ireland power-sharing talks enter ‘decisive phase’
- 13.02.2018One killed, 22 hurt in Austrian train crash: police
- 12.02.2018Ukraine deports Saakashvili on charter flight to Poland - border service
- 12.02.2018Georgia believes in power of dialogue in resolving regional conflicts, minister says
- 12.02.201831 Turkish soldiers killed since Afrin op launched, military says
- 11.02.2018SBU detained an Azerbaijani citizen wanted by Interpol
- 11.02.2018The biggest problem of Ukraine is corruption – Poroshenko
- 10.02.2018Anti-racism protest after migrant shooting in Italy
- 10.02.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani Diaspora meet with Finnish Ambassador to South Caucasus
- 10.02.2018Turkish FM spokesman slams US remarks on FETO convict
- 07.02.2018Turkey submits documents to EU seeking visa-free regime
- 07.02.2018Macron backs Corsica mention in constitution, rejects other demands
- 07.02.2018Ousted Catalan leader announces government in exile
- 07.02.2018U.K. PM spoke to the United States President by phone
- 07.02.2018Maldives Supreme Court does U-turn after arrests
- 07.02.2018EU official stresses educating children on healthy eating