Authorities say French school shooting is not terror-related - UPDATED
At least eight people have been injured in a shooting a school in Grasse, southern France, APA reported citing The Independent.
Authorities say incident is believed to be personal dispute and is not terror-related.
Police have arrested one person on the scene at the Lycee Alexis de Tocqueville, where the headmaster was among those shot.
The suspect is a 17-year-old student, who was armed with a rifle, a revolver, a pistol and grenades according to local newspaper Le Dauphiné Libéré.
Emmanuel Ethis, the rector of the Nice Academy educational district, said two children had been injured and their parents were informed.
A spokesperson for the local council in Grasse said the incident resulted from a personal dispute and was not believed to be terror-related.
A police source told Reuters two students had been involved in the attack.
At least two people have been injured after a gunman opened fire in a school in France.
The French Government launched a terrorist attack warning following reports of a shooting in a high school in the southern town of Grasse, in the French Riviera, AFP reported.
An intruder burst into the Tocqueville High School and opened fire, a source told AFP.
Police have arrested one man and a second is possibly being sought.
Early reports suggested as many as three gunmen could be in the school, but this has not been confirmed.
Local TV BFM suggested a gunman shot at the headteacher of the school.
Local residents have been advised to stay inside.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017EU Foreign Policy Chief sees ‘no need’ to renegotiate Iran nuclear agreement
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss Syrian peace plan next week
- 20.09.2017UK to suspend its military ties with Myanmar
- 18.09.2017Georgia’s sees 4.7% economic growth in 2Q17
- 17.09.2017Kurdish referendum a 'national security matter' says Turkish PM
- 17.09.2017Ankara summons German ambassador over pro-PKK rally
- 16.09.2017At least four killed in British motorway crash
- 16.09.2017Saakashvili plans to hold rally in front of Verkhovna Rada
- 16.09.2017Poroshenko to discuss situation in Donbas during meeting with Trump
- 16.09.2017At least 88 arrested in anti-drug raids in Turkey
- 16.09.2017Czech foreign minister lightly injured in car accident: ministry
- 16.09.2017Women injured in hammer attack in France
- 15.09.2017London blast is terror incident - police
- 15.09.2017Police evacuate homes near tube station after explosion on train carriage in London
- 15.09.2017Explosion on London underground train leaves at least 20 injured - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017Lawyer of Turkey’s main opposition CHP detained in Gulen probe
- 15.09.2017EU must change its view of Turkey: Turkish FM
- 15.09.2017Catalonia launches campaign for independence referendum
- 14.09.2017Another Azerbaijani nominated for post of head of executive authority in Georgia
- 14.09.2017UK Foreign Secretary Johnson to hold talks with U.S.' Tillerson in London
- 14.09.2017Paris, LA confirmed as 2024, 2028 Olympic hosts
- 13.09.2017Saakashvili announces rally in Ukraine’s Chernivtsi
- 13.09.2017Juncker: No new member in EU by 2019
- 12.09.2017Erdogan comments on allegations on his talk with Assad
- 12.09.2017Macron's labour reforms face protests across France
- 12.09.2017One million march in Barcelona for Catalan independence
- 12.09.2017Norway's right-wing government seems set for re-election-projections
- 11.09.2017US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State visits Georgia
- 11.09.2017Georgian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 10.09.2017About 70 people arrested in UK during protests against major arms fair
- 09.09.2017Erdogan, Trump agree to meet during UN assembly - UPDATED
- 09.09.2017NATO Agile Spirit 2017 military exercises underway in Georgia
- 09.09.2017Turkish soldier succumbs to wounds from PKK attack
- 08.09.2017Saakashvili vows to return to Ukraine with ‘thousands’ of supporters
- 08.09.2017French leader calls for eurozone overhaul in Athens
- 07.09.2017Turkish court released German citizen
- 07.09.2017Catalan parliament approves law to call referendum on independence
- 07.09.2017Spanish, Moroccan police arrest 6 terror cell suspects
- 06.09.2017North Korea's actions demand 'unified response' says NATO
- 05.09.2017Merkel, Trump call for tougher U.N. sanctions against North Korea
- 06.07.2015Disputes over missiles and arms embargo hold up Iran talks
- 06.07.2015Greek Finance Minister Varoufakis Resigns, and Here is Why
- 07.07.2015Tensions with Russia could prompt NATO strategy rethink
- 06.07.2015New OSCE PA secretary general elected
- 06.07.2015Greek finance minister resigns after bailout vote
- 06.07.2015Greeks vote resounding ‘No’ to Creditors’ bailout terms