Authorities say French school shooting is not terror-related - UPDATED
At least eight people have been injured in a shooting a school in Grasse, southern France, APA reported citing The Independent.
Authorities say incident is believed to be personal dispute and is not terror-related.
Police have arrested one person on the scene at the Lycee Alexis de Tocqueville, where the headmaster was among those shot.
The suspect is a 17-year-old student, who was armed with a rifle, a revolver, a pistol and grenades according to local newspaper Le Dauphiné Libéré.
Emmanuel Ethis, the rector of the Nice Academy educational district, said two children had been injured and their parents were informed.
A spokesperson for the local council in Grasse said the incident resulted from a personal dispute and was not believed to be terror-related.
A police source told Reuters two students had been involved in the attack.
At least two people have been injured after a gunman opened fire in a school in France.
The French Government launched a terrorist attack warning following reports of a shooting in a high school in the southern town of Grasse, in the French Riviera, AFP reported.
An intruder burst into the Tocqueville High School and opened fire, a source told AFP.
Police have arrested one man and a second is possibly being sought.
Early reports suggested as many as three gunmen could be in the school, but this has not been confirmed.
Local TV BFM suggested a gunman shot at the headteacher of the school.
Local residents have been advised to stay inside.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2017Strong aftershocks test nerves on Greek Island after powerful earthquake rocks Greece and Turkey
- 22.07.2017Turkish FM denies investigation claims on German firms
- 22.07.2017Turkish, German FMs speak on phone
- 22.07.2017Four German women who joined Islamic State detained in Iraq
- 21.07.20172 dead in Greece earthquake
- 21.07.2017Polish opposition calls for shortening mandates in parliament’s lower house
- 20.07.2017Turkish FM blasts German travel warning
- 20.07.2017Turkey blasts Greek FM for statement on Cyprus
- 20.07.2017Brent crude falls after surpassing $50 per barrel for first time since June
- 20.07.2017Turkish deputy PM condemns remarks by German FM
- 20.07.2017No quick results in Brexit talks, negotiators say
- 19.07.2017Turkish man jailed for insulting Ataturk
- 19.07.2017Binali Yildirim "Until the last terrorist in this territory is killed, we will resolutely continue our fight against terrorism"
- 19.07.2017Ankara urges EU to speed up Bloc's accession process
- 18.07.2017Energy Union unlikely to be bound by EU borders - EU Commission Vice-President
- 18.07.2017Russian S-400 systems' delivery contract with Turkey ready, loan being discussed
- 18.07.2017FIFA Vice President arrested in corruption operation
- 18.07.2017Poroshenko vows to restore sovereignty over Donbass after Malorossiya proposal
- 18.07.2017Iranian president's brother freed on bail: media
- 18.07.2017NATO to hold exercises in Georgia
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends troop deployment in Lebanon's UN force
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 16.07.2017Turkish Security Council to consider state of emergency extension in Turkey
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
- 15.07.2017Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism
- 15.07.2017Erdogan reiterates firm stance against coup plotters
- 15.07.2017Turkish state reinstates hundreds of civil servants
- 15.07.2017Turkey marks first anniversary of failed July 15 coup attempt
- 14.07.2017Erdogan says he favors extension of emergency rule in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Erdogan: Turkey outdoes West in terms of human rights
- 14.07.2017Deputy PM: On night of 15 July 2016, Turkey faced greatest betrayal in its history
- 14.07.2017Ambassador: Had coup attempt in Turkey succeeded, there would’ve been instability throughout region
- 14.07.2017Security incident at US Consulate in Istanbul, 1 detained
- 14.07.2017Turkey’s ruling AKP urges 160 countries where FETO network operates to be careful
- 14.07.2017Turkey’s ruling party says July 15 coup attempt was backed by foreign forces
- 16.03.2017Hungary says EU lied to Turkey over refugee deal
- 16.03.2017Shooting in French City of Grasse 'Insane Act' by Fragile Youth - Minister
- 16.03.2017Turkish freighter sinks off Libyan coast
- 16.03.2017Explosion at IMF Paris offices after envelope opened, one person hurt
- 16.03.2017Dutch PM Rutte: Netherlands said no to 'the wrong kind of populism'
- 16.03.20173 PKK terrorists killed southeast Turkey