Authorities say French school shooting is not terror-related - UPDATED
At least eight people have been injured in a shooting a school in Grasse, southern France, APA reported citing The Independent.
Authorities say incident is believed to be personal dispute and is not terror-related.
Police have arrested one person on the scene at the Lycee Alexis de Tocqueville, where the headmaster was among those shot.
The suspect is a 17-year-old student, who was armed with a rifle, a revolver, a pistol and grenades according to local newspaper Le Dauphiné Libéré.
Emmanuel Ethis, the rector of the Nice Academy educational district, said two children had been injured and their parents were informed.
A spokesperson for the local council in Grasse said the incident resulted from a personal dispute and was not believed to be terror-related.
A police source told Reuters two students had been involved in the attack.
At least two people have been injured after a gunman opened fire in a school in France.
The French Government launched a terrorist attack warning following reports of a shooting in a high school in the southern town of Grasse, in the French Riviera, AFP reported.
An intruder burst into the Tocqueville High School and opened fire, a source told AFP.
Police have arrested one man and a second is possibly being sought.
Early reports suggested as many as three gunmen could be in the school, but this has not been confirmed.
Local TV BFM suggested a gunman shot at the headteacher of the school.
Local residents have been advised to stay inside.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018Former Georgian defense minister jailed for 9 years
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 16.03.2017Hungary says EU lied to Turkey over refugee deal
- 16.03.2017Shooting in French City of Grasse 'Insane Act' by Fragile Youth - Minister
- 16.03.2017Turkish freighter sinks off Libyan coast
- 16.03.2017Explosion at IMF Paris offices after envelope opened, one person hurt
- 16.03.2017Dutch PM Rutte: Netherlands said no to 'the wrong kind of populism'
- 16.03.20173 PKK terrorists killed southeast Turkey