Two dead, one injured in Italian refinery blast
According to police, a combustible oils storage facility at a fuels factory blew up in the city of Lamezia Terme, in Calabria region, killing two workers and seriously wounding another one.
The explosion reportedly occurred during maintenance work on Thursday afternoon.
Rescue teams who rushed to the spot found the corpses of two 32-year-old solderers, while a 37-year-old chemist with deep burns all over his body was taken to a hospital in nearby Sicily island, local newspaper Il Quotidiano della Calabria said.
Firefighters were also examining the origin of vapors that were released in the air with the explosion. Investigation work was underway at the site.
According to an independent monitory unit based in Bologna, a total of 625 people died in workplace incidents and another 555 lost their lives while going to work across Italy last year, the largest number of dead at work in Europe.
Related news releases
- 04.12.2016Ireland welcomes U.S. decision to allow Cork-Boston flights
- 04.12.2016Erdogan urges people to switch to local currency
- 04.12.2016Germany detains senior terrorist wanted by Turkey
- 03.12.2016EU urges continued Syria talks despite ongoing fighting
- 03.12.2016Over 140 migrants rescued in Mediterranean close to Libyan coast
- 03.12.2016Two migrants found crushed to death in western Austria
- 03.12.2016Kerry meets Russia's Lavrov, says Syria diplomacy still alive
- 03.12.2016Gunman takes hostages in Paris travel agency robbery: source
- 02.12.2016Turkish buildings in Germany attacked by PKK supporters
- 02.12.2016The public should have say on charter reform: Deputy PM
- 02.12.2016World cannot stay silent on crimes in Syria: French FM
- 01.12.2016François Hollande will not seek re-election as president of France
- 01.12.2016EU's Tusk says keeping West united against Russia harder with Trump
- 01.12.2016Plane fault leaves Polish president grounded
- 01.12.2016Erdogan: Turkey is European country, ready to join EU
- 01.12.2016Lavrov: Security issues should be solved in order for Russia to lift visa regime with Turkey
- 01.12.2016Oil jumps over 10 percent as OPEC finalizes output cut deal
- 01.12.2016Five miners dead, three missing after tremor hits Polish copper mine
- 30.11.2016Europe hopes for continued US commitment to NATO
- 30.11.2016Turkish PM, MHP head to discuss constitution Thursday
- 30.11.2016Two miners dead, six missing after earthquake hits Polish mine
- 30.11.2016EU minister 'proud of' Turkey hosting 3 mn refugees
- 29.11.2016Merkel reaffirms EU’s commitments to Turkey
- 29.11.2016Peace talks on Ukraine end without agreement
- 29.11.2016France seeks urgent Security Council meeting on Aleppo
- 29.11.2016EU not the only fish in the sea: President Erdogan
- 29.11.2016Georgian gov’t develops ‘larization plan’
- 28.11.2016New EU Parliament president to be elected in January
- 28.11.2016Georgian PM approves new government
- 27.11.2016Erdogan tells European Parliament: 'Know your limits'
- 27.11.2016Seven dead migrants found on dinghy off Malta, two rescued
- 26.11.2016Turkish soldier martyred in northern Syria
- 26.11.2016Tsipras: Solution needed for future of EU-Turkey ties
- 26.11.20162 die as fire engulfs building in Manchester Chinatown
- 26.11.2016Norway's supreme court rejects Edward Snowden extradition lawsuit
- 25.11.2016Turkish Cypriot head asks Greek side to set talks date
- 25.11.2016Iran's ethnicity to be focused in int'l conference
- 25.11.2016Turkey's Erdogan threatens to open borders to migrants after EU Parliament vote
- 25.11.2016Mevlut Cavusoglu: "European Parliament decision had no validity for Turkey"
- 25.11.20162 dead, 2 injured in fire at Greek refugee camp
- 13.09.2013Engineers, insurers on edge as Costa Concordia salvage nears
- 14.09.2013Lukashenko Awarded Ig Nobel Prize in Peace Nomination
- 14.09.2013EU calls for swift progress to fight against tax evasion
- 12.09.2013Eurozone industrial output misses target
- 12.09.2013French Foreign Minister: “The chemical weapons were used not by the opposition, but by the government in Syria”
- 12.09.2013EU Commissioner: “We have seen enormous pressure being brought to bear upon some of our partners”