Two dead, one injured in Italian refinery blast
According to police, a combustible oils storage facility at a fuels factory blew up in the city of Lamezia Terme, in Calabria region, killing two workers and seriously wounding another one.
The explosion reportedly occurred during maintenance work on Thursday afternoon.
Rescue teams who rushed to the spot found the corpses of two 32-year-old solderers, while a 37-year-old chemist with deep burns all over his body was taken to a hospital in nearby Sicily island, local newspaper Il Quotidiano della Calabria said.
Firefighters were also examining the origin of vapors that were released in the air with the explosion. Investigation work was underway at the site.
According to an independent monitory unit based in Bologna, a total of 625 people died in workplace incidents and another 555 lost their lives while going to work across Italy last year, the largest number of dead at work in Europe.
Related news releases
- 25.09.2016Hollande vows to tear down notorious Calais refugee camp
- 25.09.2016Massive explosion rocks crowded street in Budapest injuring two police officers
- 24.09.2016Turkish vessel sinks off Sicily coast, 16 crew members rescued
- 24.09.2016EU to Create New Office to Return Undocumented Migrants - Commissioner
- 24.09.2016Video emerges of N Carolina shooting - VİDEO
- 24.09.2016Hungary PM says Europe should process refugees in Libya
- 23.09.2016Dutch Air Force Commander: More virtual training needed on F-35s
- 23.09.2016Erdogan urges cooperation with US to 'finish off İSİS'
- 23.09.2016Turkey wants to bring cooperation with Russia to higher than pre-crisis level
- 22.09.2016Rocket fired from Syria lands in southern Turkey, six injuries
- 22.09.20162 PKK terrorists killed in operation in eastern Turkey
- 22.09.2016Village guard martyred in southeast Turkey
- 22.09.2016Greece to House Refugees on Ferries Following Massive Fire at Moria Camp
- 22.09.2016Russian, Turkish leaders discuss Syria, bilateral ties
- 22.09.2016Turkish army destroys 103 Daesh targets in north Syria
- 21.09.2016Assailant prevented from breaking into Israeli embassy in Ankara
- 21.09.2016Erdogan slams EU’s failure to keep promises to Turkey
- 21.09.2016Turkish President urges world leaders to immediately take all necessary steps against FETO
- 20.09.2016Turkish president: " West may not, but we will keep on admitting Syrian refugees"
- 20.09.2016Turkish FM: "Turkey continues to support Syria truce"
- 20.09.2016EU to slap sanctions on ISIS, al-Qaeda
- 20.09.2016German economic growth to slow down in Q3: central bank
- 20.09.20162 Italians, Canadian abducted by gunmen in S. Libya
- 20.09.2016Juncker needs no protection from tough questions, EU says
- 17.09.2016Protests in Germany against transatlantic TTIP and CETA trade deals
- 17.09.2016Two soldiers killed, four wounded in clashes with PKK in Turkey
- 17.09.2016Bratislava summit shows Europe can move forward, Hollande says
- 17.09.2016Hungarian PM says EU migrant policy self-destructive, Germany should cap numbers
- 17.09.2016Merkel says EU reform agenda from Bratislava a first but key step
- 16.09.2016Ex-Italian president Carlo Azeglio Ciampi dead at 95
- 16.09.20169 killed in PKK attack in eastern Turkey
- 16.09.2016Over 60 Protesters Against Labor Bill Arrested in France
- 16.09.2016Catalonia's Altafaj urges EU to apply pressure on Spain to open dialog
- 15.09.2016Merkel, Hollande in crisis talks ahead of crucial EU Summit in Slovakia
- 15.09.2016Donald Trump is a problem for whole world, EU's Schulz says
- 15.09.2016EU renews Ukraine-related sanctions
- 15.09.2016French police arrest another teenager suspected of plotting attack
- 15.09.2016Turkish army hits Daesh position in northern Syria
- 15.09.2016Germany and France see fresh momentum from Ukraine ceasefire
- 14.09.2016EU should be stronger 'militarily' - Juncker
- 13.09.2013Engineers, insurers on edge as Costa Concordia salvage nears
- 14.09.2013Lukashenko Awarded Ig Nobel Prize in Peace Nomination
- 14.09.2013EU calls for swift progress to fight against tax evasion
- 12.09.2013Eurozone industrial output misses target
- 12.09.2013French Foreign Minister: “The chemical weapons were used not by the opposition, but by the government in Syria”
- 12.09.2013EU Commissioner: “We have seen enormous pressure being brought to bear upon some of our partners”