Two dead, one injured in Italian refinery blast
According to police, a combustible oils storage facility at a fuels factory blew up in the city of Lamezia Terme, in Calabria region, killing two workers and seriously wounding another one.
The explosion reportedly occurred during maintenance work on Thursday afternoon.
Rescue teams who rushed to the spot found the corpses of two 32-year-old solderers, while a 37-year-old chemist with deep burns all over his body was taken to a hospital in nearby Sicily island, local newspaper Il Quotidiano della Calabria said.
Firefighters were also examining the origin of vapors that were released in the air with the explosion. Investigation work was underway at the site.
According to an independent monitory unit based in Bologna, a total of 625 people died in workplace incidents and another 555 lost their lives while going to work across Italy last year, the largest number of dead at work in Europe.
Related news releases
- 24.07.2016Rocket attack martyrs Turkish police officer, 2 injured
- 24.07.2016Turkish PM describes FETO as 'sick terrorists'
- 24.07.2016Turkey detaines the "right hand" Fethullah Gulen
- 24.07.2016Binali Yildirim: “Turkey disbands presidential guard after post-coup detentions”
- 24.07.2016Turkish PM: "Ankara not planning to extend emergency state"
- 24.07.2016Turkey's presidential spokesman: "Threats to Turkey not over"
- 23.07.2016Military police put on alert in Munich after deadly mall attack
- 23.07.2016Armed group: “We staged an armed revolt with the mission to liberate Armeina”
- 23.07.2016EU leaders called upon to block FETO in Europe
- 23.07.2016Turkey detains Gulen’s nephew after coup attempt
- 23.07.2016Erdogan offers condolences over Munich gun attack
- 23.07.20163 Turks among dead in Munich shooting: Turkish FM
- 23.07.2016Turkey releases 1200 soldiers, accused of coup attempt
- 23.07.2016All staff of Munich hospitals urgently summoned to workplaces — media
- 23.07.201610 killed, 21 injured in Munich shooting attack- UPDATED-4
- 23.07.2016Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland gov'ts should OK Brexit deal: Welsh first minister
- 23.07.2016Turkey: Bank Asya's banking license cancelled
- 23.07.2016Turkey: 283 Presidential Guard soldiers in custody
- 23.07.2016Gunmen kill at least eight in Munich shopping mall, shooters on the run
- 22.07.2016A suspected judge calls Gulen 'The Mahdi' arrested
- 22.07.2016Turkey: 28 arrested in search for Twitter whistleblower
- 22.07.2016Russia lifts ban on flights to Turkey
- 22.07.2016Nice terror attack suspects appear before investigating judge
- 22.07.2016Erdogan tells Turks to continue anti-coup protests
- 22.07.2016Tayyip Erdogan: "Standard & Poor's agency had sided with the coup, not with democracy"
- 22.07.2016Turkish President: "A new coup attempt was possible but would not be easy"
- 21.07.2016Turkish Airlines says flights to operate normally
- 21.07.2016French parliament adopts controversial labor reforms after months of protest
- 21.07.2016Yasin Aktay: "Turkish pilot made decision to shoot down Russian Su-24 jet himself"
- 21.07.2016French president urges UK to launch EU exit process
- 21.07.2016Turkish parliament ratifies 3-month state of emergency
- 21.07.2016Turkey coup attempt: Over 1,000 government officials on the run
- 21.07.2016Turkey awaits proper response from US on Gulen extradition, says ambassador
- 21.07.2016Turkey to temporarily suspend European Convention on Human Rights in wake of coup
- 21.07.2016Bodies of 21 women, one man found on migrant boat in Mediterranean
- 21.07.2016Erdogan: We will not let minority dominate majority
- 21.07.2016Turkey: 112 suspects remanded in custody over coup bid
- 21.07.2016Turkish president declares 3-month state of emergency in wake of attempted coup - UPDATED-1
- 21.07.2016French lawmakers extend state of emergency after Nice attack
- 21.07.2016Erdogan's chief military aide remanded over coup bid
- 13.09.2013Engineers, insurers on edge as Costa Concordia salvage nears
- 14.09.2013Lukashenko Awarded Ig Nobel Prize in Peace Nomination
- 14.09.2013EU calls for swift progress to fight against tax evasion
- 12.09.2013Eurozone industrial output misses target
- 12.09.2013French Foreign Minister: “The chemical weapons were used not by the opposition, but by the government in Syria”
- 12.09.2013EU Commissioner: “We have seen enormous pressure being brought to bear upon some of our partners”