Two dead, one injured in Italian refinery blast
According to police, a combustible oils storage facility at a fuels factory blew up in the city of Lamezia Terme, in Calabria region, killing two workers and seriously wounding another one.
The explosion reportedly occurred during maintenance work on Thursday afternoon.
Rescue teams who rushed to the spot found the corpses of two 32-year-old solderers, while a 37-year-old chemist with deep burns all over his body was taken to a hospital in nearby Sicily island, local newspaper Il Quotidiano della Calabria said.
Firefighters were also examining the origin of vapors that were released in the air with the explosion. Investigation work was underway at the site.
According to an independent monitory unit based in Bologna, a total of 625 people died in workplace incidents and another 555 lost their lives while going to work across Italy last year, the largest number of dead at work in Europe.
Related news releases
- 28.10.2016Serbia deports Russian nationals for allegedly planning attacks in Montenegro
- 28.10.2016Paris court accepts Syria war crime plea
- 27.10.2016Turkey gives US more files on FETO leader Gulen
- 27.10.2016Turkey asks NATO to end anti-migration Aegean mission
- 27.10.2016Canada, EU reach last-minute free-trade deal
- 27.10.2016NATO accuses Russia of aggravating situation in Aleppo
- 27.10.2016Calais Jungle camp clearance accomplished, prefect says
- 26.10.2016Strong earthquakes hit central Italy
- 26.10.2016Turkish, French and US defense ministers discuss operations against ISIL
- 26.10.2016EU calls for truce in Aleppo to allow humanitarian aid
- 26.10.2016Turkish envoy criticizes BBC program on refugee labor
- 25.10.2016Over 1,000 moved from Calais camp: French minister
- 25.10.2016EU to extend Schengen border controls for three months
- 25.10.2016French president calls for vigilance after Mosul attack
- 25.10.201610 injured in explosion in Antalya trade chamber carpark - UPDATED
- 25.10.20164 PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 25.10.2016British PM warns Scotland not to 'undermine' Brexit
- 25.10.2016France clears 'Jungle' migrant camp in Calais
- 24.10.2016Migrant protests erupt in Greece over poor living conditions
- 23.10.2016PM Yildirim: "Turkey’s presidential term to be 5 years"
- 23.10.2016Rescuers save 2,400 migrants in Mediterranean, recover 14 bodies
- 22.10.2016Turkish President repeats call for 'terror-free zone' in Syria
- 22.10.2016Italy rescues more than 3K migrants off Libyan coast
- 22.10.2016US defense secretary stresses alliance with Turkey
- 22.10.2016Turkish diplomats seek asylum in Germany after coup bid
- 21.10.2016Pentagon chief: Turkey should be involved in Mosul operation
- 21.10.2016Turkish Foreign Ministry official to visit Moscow next week
- 21.10.2016EC calls on EU states to determine visa waiver mechanism with Turkey
- 20.10.2016European development bank to fund new Turkish hospital
- 20.10.2016NATO chief Stoltenberg welcomes Humanitarian Pause in Aleppo read
- 20.10.2016Instability in Middle East Result of West's geopolitical practices - Lavrov
- 20.10.2016Russia's Putin says need to quicken work on new Syrian constitution
- 20.10.2016Poroshenko: "Russia agreed on deployment of an OSCE police mission in Donbass"
- 20.10.2016Oil prices jump on big U.S. crude stock drawdown
- 20.10.2016Italian judge sends 23 to trial in Berlusconi sex bribery case
- 20.10.2016Croatia parliament approves new conservative-led cabinet
- 19.10.2016Steinmeier sees small progress in Ukraine settlement
- 19.10.2016Putin, Merkel, Hollande, Poroshenko start talks on situation in Ukraine
- 19.10.2016EU refugee deal could collapse: Turkey's EU minister
- 19.10.2016ISIS terrorist captured dead in Ankara
- 13.09.2013Engineers, insurers on edge as Costa Concordia salvage nears
- 14.09.2013Lukashenko Awarded Ig Nobel Prize in Peace Nomination
- 14.09.2013EU calls for swift progress to fight against tax evasion
- 12.09.2013Eurozone industrial output misses target
- 12.09.2013French Foreign Minister: “The chemical weapons were used not by the opposition, but by the government in Syria”
- 12.09.2013EU Commissioner: “We have seen enormous pressure being brought to bear upon some of our partners”