Turkish, US FMs discuss visa row over phone
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu spoke on the phone with his US counterpart Rex Tillerson on Wednesday to discuss mutual visa suspension issue, a Turkish foreign ministry source said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Wednesday's talk between the two officials is first since the U.S. Embassy in Turkey on Sunday announced the suspension of non-immigration visas for Turkish nationals following the arrest of a Turkish employee at the U.S. consulate in Istanbul.
No more details have been released.
In a retaliatory move, Turkey's Washington Embassy also suspended non-immigrant visa services, saying, "Recent events have forced Turkish Government to reassess the commitment of the Government of the United States to the security of Turkish Mission facilities and personnel."
Outgoing U.S. Ambassador John Bass announced the visa suspension and issued a video Monday discussing his decision, but there has yet to be any official comment from Washington.
“I personally find it odd that high-level U.S. officials did not conduct any means of communication with our foreign minister. It is concerning for an Ankara ambassador to take such a decision then claim he took it ‘in the name of my country’,” Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Tuesday.
Erdogan warned that Turkish-U.S. ties could be further damaged if U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration played a role in the visa decision.
If the decision was made after discussion with senior officials, “then we have nothing to discuss with the administration", he said.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Georgian opposition accuses government of creating tension in Marneuli
- 21.10.2017Georgian CEC: Police haven’t gone into polling stations in Marneuli - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Catalan independence: Spain pushes to remove leaders
- 21.10.2017Georgian parliamentary committee chairman: Attempts being made to cause unrest in Marneuli
- 21.10.2017Georgia elections: High voter turnout in Azerbaijani-populated region as of 12:00 AM
- 21.10.2017Georgia’s interior minister says Marneuli armed incident ‘has nothing to do with politics’
- 21.10.2017Voters in Georgia’s Marneuli populated by Azerbaijanis under pressure, claims opposition party
- 21.10.2017Azerbaijani CEC reps observe local elections in Georgia
- 21.10.2017Spain must thwart attempt to split the country - King Felipe VI
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani wounded in armed incident in Georgia in critical condition
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani ambassador visits those wounded in armed attack in Georgia’s Marneuli
- 20.10.2017US ambassador calls armed incident in Georgia’s Marneuli ‘an unacceptable violence’
- 20.10.2017Georgian Interior Ministry issues statement on armed attack on five people in Marneuli
- 20.10.2017Merkel says EU leaders favour dialogue with Turkey
- 20.10.2017EU leaders seek Brexit talks progress
- 19.10.2017Erdogan questions US partnership over visa row
- 19.10.2017European Parliament president: Europe will not recognize independent Catalonia
- 19.10.2017Spanish government to suspend Catalonia's political autonomy
- 19.10.2017Catalonia to formally declare independence if Spain suspends regional autonomy: source
- 18.10.2017600 int’l observers to monitor elections in Georgia
- 18.10.2017Majority of discrimination cases in Georgia occur on religious, ethnic grounds
- 18.10.2017UK's Brexit minister says there is no plan to leave Brexit talks
- 17.10.2017Catalans hold rally in Barcelona to support jailed leaders
- 17.10.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.10.2017Polish President Duda says hopes Turkey will join EU
- 17.10.2017Ten suspects allegedly 'plotting to kill' politicians arrested in France
- 17.10.201712 wounded in bomb attack against police shuttle in Turkey’s Mersin
- 17.10.2017Georgia detains Armenian citizen over cigarette smuggling
- 17.10.2017Ukrainian police report some 6,000 attending rallies in central Kyiv
- 17.10.2017Two Catalonian leaders behind independence movement detained for sedition
- 17.10.2017Turkish court frees US Consulate worker’s wife, child
- 16.10.20172 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 16.10.2017Turkey closes airspace for flights to northern Iraq
- 16.10.2017EU defends Iran deal despite Trump, appeals to U.S. Congress
- 16.10.2017Two killed as Storm Ophelia lashes Ireland, UK
- 16.10.2017Former Turkish CHP head Deniz Baykal taken to hospital over severe influenza
- 15.10.2017Cargo plane crash off Ivory Coast kills four Moldovans
- 15.10.2017Poland doctors demand better pay, hike in funding for health care system
- 14.10.2017Turkey, Russia seen coordinating on Syria
- 14.10.2017Turkey welcomes Hamas-Fatah reconciliation
- 12.10.2017Turkey: Visa row with US likely to be resolved soon
- 12.10.2017Georgian president calls for ‘unified strategy’ against Russia
- 12.10.2017Brexit talks with UK in 'disturbing deadlock': EU
- 11.10.2017Madrid gives Catalonia until october 16 to clarify situation over independence
- 11.10.2017Georgia detains two Armenians over cigarette smuggling
- 11.10.2017Georgia, EU beginning strategic dialogue on security