Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
“The attempted military coup on July 15 is the biggest betrayal in the modern history of Turkey. I express my gratitude to each participant in suppressing this perfidy, for all the people”, – the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated this during his speech on the action before the parliament on the first anniversary of the attempted military coup on July 15, APA’s correspondent reports.
The President noted that on July 15 of last year Turks showed the world what kind of nation Turkey is: “Had my nation took arms? Had my nation marched against the scoundrels, traitors with weapons with their hands? My nation marched with their faith and flag. There is no other example of this. There is no other nation who stops bullets by their chests. There is no other nation that stops tanks with punch,” he said.
In response to public demands to restore the death penalty for those found guilty of participating in the coup, Erdogan said he would not be hesitate to approve a bill if passed by parliament.
The government overthrow orchestrated by the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) and its U.S.-based leader, Fetullah Gulen, he said.
According to Erdogan, the statement of the chairman of the People's Republican Party Kamal Kilichdaroglu, during the coup attempt of one of the municipality heads in the house, that the coup d'état was under control on July 15, is completely inappropriate: "250 citizens became martyrs, 2,293 citizens were wounded. How can you give such an estimate with such figures? While the people were fighting the traitors, the deputies, meeting in the parliament, expressed their position. The deputies defended the parliament and demonstrated this to the whole world. I congratulate each of the 106 deputies who came to parliament that night. Deputies have risen as much as traitors have degraded, striking at the parliament. Such a parliament is suitable for such a people. How can a person sell his homeland?! How did they dare go against the Motherland, the people?! FETÖ has made many attempts to divide the people, and now they are trying to lead the processes from Pennsylvania. Those who attempted to return to their homeland on July 15 are now in charge of their actions at the trial. Thanks to the development of Turkey, we will achieve the goals envisaged for the year 2023. July 15 is the day of National Unity and Democracy. With the presence of such determination and greatness of spirit, nobody can destroy the state, captivate the people. The events of July 15 showed who our friend is and who the enemy is. Their positions were immediately demonstrated by friends, and a few days later - and two-faced hypocrites. They will not break our people, do not bring our state to our knees and not turn from our path. We know who our friend is and who our enemy is. We will be together, brothers, strong, together we are Turkey!”.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017Tbilisi hosts charity event for Azerbaijani children
- 23.11.2017Vatican confirms Pope Francis to see Myanmar army chief
- 23.11.2017French leader calls migrant trade in Libya inhuman
- 23.11.2017Germany's liberal party rejects coalition with Greens
- 23.11.2017Counter-terror cooperation can rebuild Turkey, EU ties
- 22.11.2017Three suspects killed in anti-terrorist operation in Tbilisi
- 22.11.2017Counter-terrorism operation in Tbilisi ends, 3 detained - UPDATED
- 22.11.2017Ratko Mladic sentenced to life in prison for Bosnia genocide
- 22.11.2017French police detain Russian senator in Nice — embassy
- 21.11.2017Georgia will not use military equipment to be purchased from U.S. against any country – deputy minister
- 21.11.2017Turkey not considering severing ties with NATO, says Erdogan’s spokesman
- 21.11.2017Turkish aide calls for investigation of NATO incident
- 20.11.2017Putin, Rouhani may hold talks on sidelines of Russia-Turkey-Iran summit — Kremlin
- 19.11.2017Turkey launches investigation into U.S. prosecutors
- 19.11.2017Several foreign nationals detained in Athens over clashes with police
- 18.11.2017NATO chief once again apologizes to Turkish president
- 18.11.2017Erdogan condemns 'impudence' during NATO drill
- 18.11.2017Airlander 10 'breaks in two' and collapses at Cardington
- 18.11.2017Turkish FM: "Turkey has evidence of US arming terror groups"
- 18.11.2017Turkish court releases 13 suspects in major FETO case
- 17.11.2017Helicopter, aircraft in midair collision, say UK police
- 17.11.2017Daesh car bomb reportedly kills 20 at site for displaced families in East Syria
- 17.11.2017Erdogan meets Afghanistan's Gen. Dostum in Ankara
- 17.11.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg apologizes to Turkey over 'enemy chart' incident in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey withdraws troops from NATO drill in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey to host Russian, Iranian FMs ahead of Sochi
- 16.11.2017Georgia has centuries-old tradition of tolerance – President Margvelashvili
- 16.11.2017Erdogan visits Turkey's military base in Qatar
- 16.11.2017Turkey: Storm causes severe damage in coastal Antalya
- 16.11.2017Poland slams EU parliament resolution
- 16.11.2017Turkey sends diplomatic note to US over gold trader
- 14.11.2017Tbilisi Airport on lockdown after bomb threat received
- 14.11.2017Turkish president arrives in Kuwait for talks
- 14.11.2017EU’s Mogherini calls on Hariri to return to Lebanon
- 13.11.2017EU removes Colombia’s FARC from terrorist groups list
- 13.11.2017New mayor of Georgia’s Rustavi joins city cleaning work on first working day
- 13.11.2017Kakha Kaladze assumes duties as Tbilisi mayor
- 12.11.2017Turkey says purchase of S-400 from Russia 'completed'
- 11.11.2017Turkey puts in great effort for peace in region: Min.
- 11.11.2017Six Daesh suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 16.07.2017Turkish Security Council to consider state of emergency extension in Turkey
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends troop deployment in Lebanon's UN force
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border