Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
“The attempted military coup on July 15 is the biggest betrayal in the modern history of Turkey. I express my gratitude to each participant in suppressing this perfidy, for all the people”, – the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated this during his speech on the action before the parliament on the first anniversary of the attempted military coup on July 15, APA’s correspondent reports.
The President noted that on July 15 of last year Turks showed the world what kind of nation Turkey is: “Had my nation took arms? Had my nation marched against the scoundrels, traitors with weapons with their hands? My nation marched with their faith and flag. There is no other example of this. There is no other nation who stops bullets by their chests. There is no other nation that stops tanks with punch,” he said.
In response to public demands to restore the death penalty for those found guilty of participating in the coup, Erdogan said he would not be hesitate to approve a bill if passed by parliament.
The government overthrow orchestrated by the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) and its U.S.-based leader, Fetullah Gulen, he said.
According to Erdogan, the statement of the chairman of the People's Republican Party Kamal Kilichdaroglu, during the coup attempt of one of the municipality heads in the house, that the coup d'état was under control on July 15, is completely inappropriate: "250 citizens became martyrs, 2,293 citizens were wounded. How can you give such an estimate with such figures? While the people were fighting the traitors, the deputies, meeting in the parliament, expressed their position. The deputies defended the parliament and demonstrated this to the whole world. I congratulate each of the 106 deputies who came to parliament that night. Deputies have risen as much as traitors have degraded, striking at the parliament. Such a parliament is suitable for such a people. How can a person sell his homeland?! How did they dare go against the Motherland, the people?! FETÖ has made many attempts to divide the people, and now they are trying to lead the processes from Pennsylvania. Those who attempted to return to their homeland on July 15 are now in charge of their actions at the trial. Thanks to the development of Turkey, we will achieve the goals envisaged for the year 2023. July 15 is the day of National Unity and Democracy. With the presence of such determination and greatness of spirit, nobody can destroy the state, captivate the people. The events of July 15 showed who our friend is and who the enemy is. Their positions were immediately demonstrated by friends, and a few days later - and two-faced hypocrites. They will not break our people, do not bring our state to our knees and not turn from our path. We know who our friend is and who our enemy is. We will be together, brothers, strong, together we are Turkey!”.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017Erdogan says West’s embargo plan against Turkey won’t yield any result
- 25.07.2017Erdogan calls on world Muslims over Al-Aqsa Mosque
- 25.07.2017Erdogan: Purchasing S-400 from Russia not 'worrying'
- 25.07.2017NATO steps in to resolve Turkey-Germany dispute
- 25.07.2017Turkey: 9 PKK terrorists killed in Hakkari in a week
- 25.07.2017Israel heads towards isolation says Turkish president
- 24.07.2017Polish president blocks judiciary reforms after days of protests
- 24.07.2017Panic in Swiss town after man with chainsaw attacks people
- 24.07.2017US ambassador highlights importance of Georgian region predominantly populated by Azerbaijanis
- 23.07.2017Strong aftershocks test nerves on Greek Island after powerful earthquake rocks Greece and Turkey
- 22.07.2017Turkish FM denies investigation claims on German firms
- 22.07.2017Turkish, German FMs speak on phone
- 22.07.2017Four German women who joined Islamic State detained in Iraq
- 21.07.20172 dead in Greece earthquake
- 21.07.2017Polish opposition calls for shortening mandates in parliament’s lower house
- 20.07.2017Turkish FM blasts German travel warning
- 20.07.2017Turkey blasts Greek FM for statement on Cyprus
- 20.07.2017Brent crude falls after surpassing $50 per barrel for first time since June
- 20.07.2017Turkish deputy PM condemns remarks by German FM
- 20.07.2017No quick results in Brexit talks, negotiators say
- 19.07.2017Turkish man jailed for insulting Ataturk
- 19.07.2017Binali Yildirim "Until the last terrorist in this territory is killed, we will resolutely continue our fight against terrorism"
- 19.07.2017Ankara urges EU to speed up Bloc's accession process
- 18.07.2017Energy Union unlikely to be bound by EU borders - EU Commission Vice-President
- 18.07.2017Russian S-400 systems' delivery contract with Turkey ready, loan being discussed
- 18.07.2017FIFA Vice President arrested in corruption operation
- 18.07.2017Poroshenko vows to restore sovereignty over Donbass after Malorossiya proposal
- 18.07.2017Iranian president's brother freed on bail: media
- 18.07.2017NATO to hold exercises in Georgia
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends troop deployment in Lebanon's UN force
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 16.07.2017Turkish Security Council to consider state of emergency extension in Turkey
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
- 15.07.2017Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism
- 15.07.2017Erdogan reiterates firm stance against coup plotters
- 18.05.2016Italy, Libya discuss investment in return for migration control
- 18.05.2016FM insists Turkey won't revise anti-terror law
- 19.05.2016British media highlights performance of Karabakh horses at Royal Windsor Horse Show
- 17.05.2016French president stands firm on labour reforms amid new protests
- 17.05.2016Meeting of Syrian Support Group underway in Vienna
- 17.05.2016Pope criticizes West for trying to export own brand of democracy to Iraq, Libya