Turkish police arrest 24 in anti-drug operations
At least 24 suspects were arrested in anti-drug operations across Turkey on Saturday, APA reportrs quoting Anadolu Agency.
In the southeastern Diyarbakir province, police seized 565 kilograms (1,245 pounds) of powdered marijuana in operations across the province.
Eight suspects were also arrested on suspicion of drug trafficking, said a police officer who asked not to be named due to restrictions on talking to the media.
In the eastern province of Van, police arrested two suspects after seizing more than 71 kg (156 lb.) of heroin at their residence.
Separately, police in Van arrested two other drug trafficking suspects. More than 38 kilograms of heroin was seized at their address.
In the southern province of Mersin, acting on a tip, security forces stopped a truck traveling from Iraq to Europe carrying fruits and vegetables. After over 56 kg of heroin was found hidden in the truck, the driver was arrested.
In the Aegean province of Izmir, police arrested five people and seized more than nearly two kg of marijuana.
Another five suspects were nabbed in Mudanya in the northwestern Bursa province.
In the southern province of Kahramanmaras, police arrested a suspect allegedly carrying 317 drug pills in the city center.
* Necat Hazar in Van, Sezgin Pancar in Mersin, Ahmet Bayram in Izmir, Omer Birlik in Bursa, Ismail Hakki Demir in Kahramanmaras contributed to this story.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Georgia PM won’t run for president
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm Friederike causes Dutch and German transport chaos
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 16.01.2018Denmark will increase defense spending to counter Russia: PM
- 16.01.2018Up to 20 injured in Belgium blast
- 16.01.2018Lead singer of The Cranberries dies aged 46 in London
- 16.01.2018Turkish premier talks to Iraqi counterpart over phone
- 15.01.2018Germany's Christian Democrats approve coalition deal
- 15.01.2018US treats Turkey as its ‘enemy’, says PM Yildirim
- 15.01.2018Hotel catches fire in Tbilisi
- 14.01.2018Turkey rejects idea of 'Privileged Partnership' with European Union
- 14.01.2018Dozen of Neo-Nazis arrested over participation in unauthorized rally in Sweden
- 13.01.2018Explosion injures 8 in northern Albania
- 13.01.2018Thousands protest against Austrian government's shift to the right
- 13.01.2018Miloš Zeman leads first round of Czech Republic presidential elections
- 13.01.2018Czech presidential vote sets up Zeman-Drahos second round clash
- 13.01.2018EU to assess Trump statement on Iran
- 13.01.2018Germany to keep seeking full implementation of Iran deal
- 13.01.2018UK police arrest woman at Heathrow Airport on suspicion of terror activity
- 13.01.2018Turkey is much safer than the US: Turkish FM
- 12.01.2018Turkey issues travel warning for US
- 12.01.2018Turkey dismisses over 260 officials with new decree
- 12.01.2018Bulgaria officially assumes EU presidency
- 12.01.2018France launches mini satellite to unravel mysteries of distant planet
- 12.01.2018Ritz robbers dropped bag of jewels
- 11.01.2018UNHCR launches new project for refugees in Turkey
- 11.01.2018Russia knows perpetrators of attack on its bases in Syria, it's not Turkey - Putin
- 11.01.2018Erdogan: US can’t get any terrorist from Turkey as long as I’m in power
- 07.01.2018France plans privatization law in asset sale push: PM
- 07.01.2018UK Prime Minister to Announce Government Reshuffle on Monday
- 08.01.2018At least 56 people missing after shipwreck near Sicily
- 06.01.2018Greece orders Macedonian wiretap suspects' extradition
- 06.01.2018Ex-U.N. chief Ban's nephew pleads guilty to U.S. corruption charges
- 06.01.2018Turkish foreign minister talks to US counterpart