Turkish, Greek PMs discuss jet fighter crash
Turkey's prime minister on Thursday conveyed his condolences to his Greek counterpart over the death of a fighter pilot when his jet crashed into the Aegean Sea.
According to a Prime Ministry statement, Turkey's Binali Yildirim spoke with Alexis Tsipras on the phone about the accident as well as bilateral relations.
Yildirim expressed his condolences over the Greek jet fighter crash on behalf of himself and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said the ministry.
The duo agreed to keep communication channels open to discuss current issues properly in the coming days. Yildirim and Tsipras also agreed to maintain close dialogue and focus on a positive agenda for Turkish-Greek relations.
Yildirim and Tsipras further vowed to approach issues in a constructive matter.
Earlier Thursday, Greece's Defense Ministry said a Mirage 2000-5 aircraft went down northeast of Skyros Island around 12:15 local time (0915GMT), killing the pilot.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Turkish solider martyred in PKK terror attack
- 25.04.2018German Chancellor Merkel backs Albania’s EU perspective
- 25.04.2018Macron at odds with Trump agenda during Congress speech
- 24.04.2018PACE 'double standard' for postponed polls: Deputy PM
- 24.04.2018Armored vehicle maker BMC wins Turkish battle tank bid
- 24.04.2018PACE calls on Turkey to ‘postpone’ June 24 snap elections
- 24.04.2018CoE may take action against Russia in event of failure to pay a contribution to the budget
- 23.04.2018OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs release statement on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 23.04.2018Former Georgian defense minister jailed for 9 years
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 13.04.2018Sweden submits new draft resolution on Syria to UN Security Council
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 12.04.2018Macron claims to have proof of chemical weapons use by Syrian government
- 12.04.2018Salisbury attack: Chemical weapons watchdog confirms UK findings on nerve agent
- 12.04.2018Erdogan, Trump discuss Syria in phone call