Turkish, Greek PMs discuss jet fighter crash
Turkey's prime minister on Thursday conveyed his condolences to his Greek counterpart over the death of a fighter pilot when his jet crashed into the Aegean Sea.
According to a Prime Ministry statement, Turkey's Binali Yildirim spoke with Alexis Tsipras on the phone about the accident as well as bilateral relations.
Yildirim expressed his condolences over the Greek jet fighter crash on behalf of himself and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said the ministry.
The duo agreed to keep communication channels open to discuss current issues properly in the coming days. Yildirim and Tsipras also agreed to maintain close dialogue and focus on a positive agenda for Turkish-Greek relations.
Yildirim and Tsipras further vowed to approach issues in a constructive matter.
Earlier Thursday, Greece's Defense Ministry said a Mirage 2000-5 aircraft went down northeast of Skyros Island around 12:15 local time (0915GMT), killing the pilot.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Turkish, US treasury chiefs to meet at G20 event
- 22.07.2018One person killed in Norwegian gyrocopter crash:
- 21.07.2018UK detains 2 Dutch nationals for importing 1.6 tons of cocaine
- 21.07.20182 dead after migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 21.07.2018Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
- 20.07.2018Germany bus incident: At least 14 injured in suspected knife attack in Lubeck
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 13.04.2018Sweden submits new draft resolution on Syria to UN Security Council
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 12.04.2018Macron claims to have proof of chemical weapons use by Syrian government
- 12.04.2018Salisbury attack: Chemical weapons watchdog confirms UK findings on nerve agent
- 12.04.2018Erdogan, Trump discuss Syria in phone call