Turkish foreign minister, US top diplomat discuss ties
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu discussed bilateral ties and cooperation on counter-terrorism with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson over the phone on Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“We discussed FETO [Fetullah Terrorist Organization] head Fetullah Gulen’s presence in the U.S. and the weapons that [were provided by the U.S.] to the YPG terrorist organization,” Cavusoglu told a local channel Dim TV in Alanya district of southern Antalya province.
Turkish government considers the PYD/YPG to be the Syrian offshoot of the PKK, a designated terrorist organization by Turkey and the U.S.
However, the U.S. does not view the PYD/YPG as a terrorist group, instead it relies on the group extensively in the battle against Daesh in northern Syria. The PYD/YPG-backed SDF group have been Washington's principal partner in the anti-Daesh fight.
FETO and its U.S.-based leader Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup of July 15, 2016, which left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Ankara accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary.
Related news releases
- 19.11.2017Turkey launches investigation into U.S. prosecutors
- 19.11.2017Several foreign nationals detained in Athens over clashes with police
- 18.11.2017NATO chief once again apologizes to Turkish president
- 18.11.2017Erdogan condemns 'impudence' during NATO drill
- 18.11.2017Airlander 10 'breaks in two' and collapses at Cardington
- 18.11.2017Turkish FM: "Turkey has evidence of US arming terror groups"
- 18.11.2017Turkish court releases 13 suspects in major FETO case
- 17.11.2017Helicopter, aircraft in midair collision, say UK police
- 17.11.2017Daesh car bomb reportedly kills 20 at site for displaced families in East Syria
- 17.11.2017Erdogan meets Afghanistan's Gen. Dostum in Ankara
- 17.11.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg apologizes to Turkey over 'enemy chart' incident in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey withdraws troops from NATO drill in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey to host Russian, Iranian FMs ahead of Sochi
- 16.11.2017Georgia has centuries-old tradition of tolerance – President Margvelashvili
- 16.11.2017Erdogan visits Turkey's military base in Qatar
- 16.11.2017Turkey: Storm causes severe damage in coastal Antalya
- 16.11.2017Poland slams EU parliament resolution
- 16.11.2017Turkey sends diplomatic note to US over gold trader
- 14.11.2017Tbilisi Airport on lockdown after bomb threat received
- 14.11.2017Turkish president arrives in Kuwait for talks
- 14.11.2017EU’s Mogherini calls on Hariri to return to Lebanon
- 13.11.2017EU removes Colombia’s FARC from terrorist groups list
- 13.11.2017New mayor of Georgia’s Rustavi joins city cleaning work on first working day
- 13.11.2017Kakha Kaladze assumes duties as Tbilisi mayor
- 12.11.2017Turkey says purchase of S-400 from Russia 'completed'
- 11.11.2017Turkey puts in great effort for peace in region: Min.
- 11.11.2017Six Daesh suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 11.11.2017Croatia government survives no-confidence vote over Agrokor debt crisis
- 10.11.2017Catalan parliament speaker released from Spanish jail
- 10.11.2017More than 100 PKK terrorists killed in 1 week in Turkey
- 10.11.2017Car rams into crowd near school in Southern France
- 10.11.2017Spanish Supreme Court frees Catalan parliament speaker on bail
- 10.11.2017UK's May picks Brexiteer to replace scandal-hit aid minister
- 09.11.2017Albania issues arrest warrant for FETO fugitive
- 09.11.2017OSCE PA President steps down, Vice-President to serve as President
- 09.11.2017French president not ruling out sanctions over Iran's ballistic missile program
- 09.11.2017Serbia summons envoy to Ukraine for consultations
- 09.11.2017British aid minister Patel resigns in new test for PM May
- 08.11.20174 Daesh terrorists arrested in central Turkey
- 08.11.2017Catalonia crisis: Spain could allow referendums, says FM
- 04.11.2017Italy seizes 100 tonnes of diesel on ship sailing from Libya
- 04.11.2017Turkey opens its first humanoid robotics factory
- 04.11.2017Britain's ruling Conservatives suspend lawmaker, refer his case to police
- 04.11.2017Some 700 migrants rescued in Mediterranean, 23 found dead
- 03.11.2017Spain issues International Arrest Warrant for ousted Catalan leader
- 03.11.2017At least 10 PKK suspects held in southeastern Turkey