Turkish FM urges EU to implement visa-free regime
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Friday the government is "experiencing a problematic process,” and an uncomfortable environment trying to fulfill a visa deal with the EU, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"If the EU does not implement visa liberalization, we have three interconnected agreements. The re-admission and immigration agreement. At that time, the other two agreements are, of course, not applied naturally," Cavusoglu said at a meeting of business leaders in Anlaya district.
"We agreed that three agreements will be implemented together. ... it is the nature of agreement," he said.
"This is not a threat, or a bluff," he added.
Ankara is supposed to readmit all irregular asylum seekers who reach Greek islands from Turkey, according to the readmission agreement signed last March wit the EU.
But visa liberalization for Turkish citizens traveling to Schengen zone countries was a key EU promise made under the deal.
Turkey has so far met most of the requirements for visa liberalization, but the EU’s demands for change in Ankara’s anti-terrorism laws led to a deadlock in negotiations.
Turkish authorities repeatedly said the refugee deal could collapse if the EU fails to provide Ankara with the promised visa reforms.
Related news releases
- 30.03.2017Turkish president: "No more comfort for terrorists' in Turkey"
- 30.03.2017EU chief lashes out at Trump for Brexit support
- 30.03.2017Turkish FM criticizes US in talks with Tillerson
- 30.03.2017Erdogan, Tillerson discuss FETO, Daesh
- 30.03.2017Dutch coalition gov't talks begin
- 30.03.2017Germany to Britain: No talks on future EU ties until Brexit terms clear
- 30.03.2017Operation Euphrates Shield ends: Turkish PM - UPDATED
- 29.03.2017Nearly 150 migrants feared dead after boat sinks, sole survivor says
- 29.03.2017Poland summons Ukraine’s ambassador due to shelling of consulate in Lutsk
- 29.03.2017Central European leaders discuss Brexit, migration policy in Warsaw
- 29.03.2017Fillon's wife Penelope under formal investigation
- 28.03.2017German parliament repels massive hacker attack
- 28.03.2017Scottish Parliament backs referendum call
- 28.03.2017Clashes in Paris over police killing of Chinese man
- 28.03.2017Scientists discover means to mass produce red blood cells for transfusions
- 26.03.2017Ukraine called the condition of Russia’s participation in “Eurovision”
- 26.03.2017Thousands hold pro-EU march in central London
- 26.03.2017Erdogan: Turkey may have Brexit-like referendum on EU
- 25.03.2017Turkey summons Swiss counsellor over PKK rally in Bern
- 25.03.2017Italian police detain over 120 protesters amid EU Summit in Rome
- 25.03.201718 injured as escalator in Hong Kong shopping mall suddenly reverses
- 25.03.2017Two more people detained in connection with London attack released, police say
- 25.03.2017Trump vows to begin working on tax reform following healthcare fallout
- 25.03.2017German Defense Minister slams Trump over remark on alleged Berlin's debt to NATO
- 24.03.2017Germany's Merkel: No alternative to two-state solution
- 24.03.2017Prosecution launches probe into Catalan gov’t preparations to hold referendum
- 24.03.2017France's Marine Le Pen begins Russia visit
- 24.03.2017250 migrants feared dead in new Mediterranean boat tragedy
- 24.03.2017Death toll from London terror act rises as injured man dies at hospital
- 24.03.2017European Parliament bans Turkey's Daily Sabah
- 24.03.2017Receb Tayyib Erdogan plans to meet Donald Trump in May
- 23.03.2017Erdogan calls British PM over London terror attack
- 23.03.2017London attack: Khalid Masood named as perpetrator
- 23.03.2017Isis claims responsibility for London terror attack that killed at least three victims
- 23.03.2017Georgia has initiated a new educational project for students of ethnic minorities.
- 23.03.2017Turkey summons Russian charge d'affaires over soldier's death near Syria
- 23.03.2017London terror attack suspect was British-born and previously investigated by MI5 over extremism, May confirms
- 23.03.2017Turkey summons Norway's envoy
- 23.03.2017Soldier martyred in PKK attack in southeast Turkey
- 23.03.2017Merkel's conservatives ahead of Germany's Social Democrats: poll
- 18.03.20172 army officers released in July 15 coup probe
- 18.03.2017Two more killed in avalanche this week in Austria
- 18.03.2017Turkish foreign ministry issues statement on 3rd anniversary of Crimea’s annexation
- 18.03.2017German minister says Europe, U.S. should stick to Russia sanctions
- 18.03.2017Trump praises Merkel on Germany's spending on defense, NATO
- 17.03.2017Turkey has suspended the import of grain from Russia