Turkish FM sees positive steps in ties with EU
“We will see concrete steps. We are here to take concrete steps too," said Mevlut Cavusoglu in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, attending a conference on neighboring Afghanistan.
Cavusoglu told reporters that the EU’s role on the ground will not be as effective without Turkey, reflecting on the Turkish-EU summit held in Varna, Bulgaria Monday, describing talks at the meeting as “frank.”
He also stressed that the EU will benefit more from closer ties with Turkey.
Topics discussed in Varna included Turkey’s Operation Olive Branch in Afrin, Syria, Jerusalem, Cyprus, and the migrant issue, said Cavusoglu.
He also underlined that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan clearly laid out Turkey’s expectations from the EU.
“We need to go forward on the basis of mutual respect,” he said.
Cavusoglu said most EU member states want Turkey to join the union and see its potential role in the bloc.
Monday’s summit might be a turning point, he added.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Russia-wary U.S. to press NATO allies to hike military spending
- 26.04.2018Croatian police arrest suspect behind global cyber attack platform
- 26.04.2018European powers say nearing plan to save Iran nuclear pact
- 26.04.2018Turkish solider martyred in PKK terror attack
- 25.04.2018German Chancellor Merkel backs Albania’s EU perspective
- 25.04.2018Macron at odds with Trump agenda during Congress speech
- 24.04.2018PACE 'double standard' for postponed polls: Deputy PM
- 24.04.2018Armored vehicle maker BMC wins Turkish battle tank bid
- 24.04.2018PACE calls on Turkey to ‘postpone’ June 24 snap elections
- 24.04.2018CoE may take action against Russia in event of failure to pay a contribution to the budget
- 23.04.2018OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs release statement on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 23.04.2018Former Georgian defense minister jailed for 9 years
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 29.03.2018Georgia expels Russian diplomat in solidarity with UK
- 29.03.2018Georgian PM denies reports he will face resignation
- 29.03.2018Ex-French president Sarkozy to stand trial
- 27.03.2018German terror PYD/PKK suspect arrested in SE Turkey
- 27.03.2018Putin and Erdogan discuss preparations for Russia-Turkey-Iran summit in Ankara - UPDATED
- 27.03.2018Turkish army clears Syria’s Tal Rifaat of PYD/YPG terrorists