Turkish Economy Minister: "Ankara wants to remove barriers in Turkish-Russian trade"
Ankara believes that there must be no barriers in Turkish-Russian trade, country’s Minister of Economy Nihat Zeybekci said Thursday, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
“The Russian side wants to stimulate domestic tomato production. But Turkey, as before, does not accept the term 'restrictions' … We believe that there must be no barriers in the trade between [our] two countries. We will wait until late May and then we will strive for the principal agreement,” Zeybekci said, as quoted by the Anadolu news agency.
Zeybekci also pointed out that the ban on the export of Turkish tomatoes to Russia was not the “end of days” for Turkey and added that bilateral trade ties had mostly normalized.
Russia’s food embargo against Turkey was introduced on January 1, 2016, in response to the 2015 downing of a Russian aircraft by Turkey over Syria. In October 2016, the Russian embargo on Turkish stone fruits and citrus fruits was lifted aside from a number of vegetable articles.
Related news releases
- 25.11.2017EU's Juncker says Dec. 4 meeting with May will show if Brexit progress made
- 24.11.2017Nasr Hariri to head Syrian opposition at Geneva talks: spokesman
- 24.11.2017Armed police race to London's Oxford Street after reports of shots fired
- 24.11.2017Cavusoglu: Trump concretely stated they won’t give weapons to YPG
- 24.11.2017Erdogan doesn’t rule out cooperation with Syria’s Assad on YPG issue
- 24.11.2017Georgia plans to produce electric cars
- 24.11.2017The EU may include Armenia on a blacklist
- 24.11.2017Turkey to seek extradition of 45 coup suspects
- 24.11.2017Turkey welcomes EU decision on terror groups
- 23.11.2017German Social Democrats under pressure to form grand coalition
- 23.11.2017NATO chief says drill incident will not happen again
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani President met with President of Ukraine
- 23.11.2017Tbilisi hosts charity event for Azerbaijani children
- 23.11.2017Vatican confirms Pope Francis to see Myanmar army chief
- 23.11.2017French leader calls migrant trade in Libya inhuman
- 23.11.2017Germany's liberal party rejects coalition with Greens
- 23.11.2017Counter-terror cooperation can rebuild Turkey, EU ties
- 22.11.2017Three suspects killed in anti-terrorist operation in Tbilisi
- 22.11.2017Counter-terrorism operation in Tbilisi ends, 3 detained - UPDATED
- 22.11.2017Ratko Mladic sentenced to life in prison for Bosnia genocide
- 22.11.2017French police detain Russian senator in Nice — embassy
- 21.11.2017Georgia will not use military equipment to be purchased from U.S. against any country – deputy minister
- 21.11.2017Turkey not considering severing ties with NATO, says Erdogan’s spokesman
- 21.11.2017Turkish aide calls for investigation of NATO incident
- 20.11.2017Putin, Rouhani may hold talks on sidelines of Russia-Turkey-Iran summit — Kremlin
- 19.11.2017Turkey launches investigation into U.S. prosecutors
- 19.11.2017Several foreign nationals detained in Athens over clashes with police
- 18.11.2017NATO chief once again apologizes to Turkish president
- 18.11.2017Erdogan condemns 'impudence' during NATO drill
- 18.11.2017Airlander 10 'breaks in two' and collapses at Cardington
- 18.11.2017Turkish FM: "Turkey has evidence of US arming terror groups"
- 18.11.2017Turkish court releases 13 suspects in major FETO case
- 17.11.2017Helicopter, aircraft in midair collision, say UK police
- 17.11.2017Daesh car bomb reportedly kills 20 at site for displaced families in East Syria
- 17.11.2017Erdogan meets Afghanistan's Gen. Dostum in Ankara
- 17.11.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg apologizes to Turkey over 'enemy chart' incident in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey withdraws troops from NATO drill in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey to host Russian, Iranian FMs ahead of Sochi
- 16.11.2017Georgia has centuries-old tradition of tolerance – President Margvelashvili
- 16.11.2017Erdogan visits Turkey's military base in Qatar
- 18.05.2017Turkish president: "Turkey to take part in new balance of power"
- 18.05.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters outside parliament
- 21.05.2017Norway to boost protection of Arctic seed vault from climate change
- 18.05.20176 PKK terrorists killed in airstrike in SE Turkey
- 18.05.2017'Unacceptable preconditions cannot solve Cyprus issue'
- 18.05.2017Irish PM Kenny steps down as party leader