Turkish Economy Minister: "Ankara wants to remove barriers in Turkish-Russian trade"
Ankara believes that there must be no barriers in Turkish-Russian trade, country’s Minister of Economy Nihat Zeybekci said Thursday, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
“The Russian side wants to stimulate domestic tomato production. But Turkey, as before, does not accept the term 'restrictions' … We believe that there must be no barriers in the trade between [our] two countries. We will wait until late May and then we will strive for the principal agreement,” Zeybekci said, as quoted by the Anadolu news agency.
Zeybekci also pointed out that the ban on the export of Turkish tomatoes to Russia was not the “end of days” for Turkey and added that bilateral trade ties had mostly normalized.
Russia’s food embargo against Turkey was introduced on January 1, 2016, in response to the 2015 downing of a Russian aircraft by Turkey over Syria. In October 2016, the Russian embargo on Turkish stone fruits and citrus fruits was lifted aside from a number of vegetable articles.
Related news releases
- 27.07.2017Turkish parliament passes bylaw changes
- 27.07.2017UK to send warship to South China Sea, raising tensions with Beijing
- 27.07.2017Georgian president: Saakashvili shouldn’t have left the country
- 27.07.2017PM: Pence’s forthcoming visit indicative of US support to Georgia
- 27.07.2017Saakashvili rejects refugee status after loss of Ukrainian citizenship
- 27.07.2017EU court keeps Hamas on terrorism list, removes Tamil Tigers
- 26.07.2017Georgian population think rights of national minorities are violated
- 26.07.2017Merve Kavakci appointed as ambassador
- 26.07.2017US tanks, armored vehicles arrive in Georgia
- 26.07.2017Ethnic minorities in Georgia support country’s EU membership
- 26.07.2017France: 10,000 evacuated after new wildfire on Mediterranean coast
- 26.07.20172 teens hospitalized in new London acid attack
- 26.07.2017Swiss chainsaw attacker arrested after international manhunt
- 25.07.2017EU, Turkey reflect on high-level meeting
- 25.07.2017Turkey eyes changes to residency, citizenship rules
- 25.07.2017Erdogan says West’s embargo plan against Turkey won’t yield any result
- 25.07.2017Erdogan calls on world Muslims over Al-Aqsa Mosque
- 25.07.2017Erdogan: Purchasing S-400 from Russia not 'worrying'
- 25.07.2017NATO steps in to resolve Turkey-Germany dispute
- 25.07.2017Turkey: 9 PKK terrorists killed in Hakkari in a week
- 25.07.2017Israel heads towards isolation says Turkish president
- 24.07.2017Polish president blocks judiciary reforms after days of protests
- 24.07.2017Panic in Swiss town after man with chainsaw attacks people
- 24.07.2017US ambassador highlights importance of Georgian region predominantly populated by Azerbaijanis
- 23.07.2017Strong aftershocks test nerves on Greek Island after powerful earthquake rocks Greece and Turkey
- 22.07.2017Turkish FM denies investigation claims on German firms
- 22.07.2017Turkish, German FMs speak on phone
- 22.07.2017Four German women who joined Islamic State detained in Iraq
- 21.07.20172 dead in Greece earthquake
- 21.07.2017Polish opposition calls for shortening mandates in parliament’s lower house
- 20.07.2017Turkish FM blasts German travel warning
- 20.07.2017Turkey blasts Greek FM for statement on Cyprus
- 20.07.2017Brent crude falls after surpassing $50 per barrel for first time since June
- 20.07.2017Turkish deputy PM condemns remarks by German FM
- 20.07.2017No quick results in Brexit talks, negotiators say
- 19.07.2017Turkish man jailed for insulting Ataturk
- 19.07.2017Binali Yildirim "Until the last terrorist in this territory is killed, we will resolutely continue our fight against terrorism"
- 19.07.2017Ankara urges EU to speed up Bloc's accession process
- 18.07.2017Energy Union unlikely to be bound by EU borders - EU Commission Vice-President
- 18.07.2017Russian S-400 systems' delivery contract with Turkey ready, loan being discussed
- 18.05.2017Turkish president: "Turkey to take part in new balance of power"
- 18.05.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters outside parliament
- 21.05.2017Norway to boost protection of Arctic seed vault from climate change
- 18.05.20176 PKK terrorists killed in airstrike in SE Turkey
- 18.05.2017'Unacceptable preconditions cannot solve Cyprus issue'
- 18.05.2017Irish PM Kenny steps down as party leader