Turkish Economy Minister: "Ankara wants to remove barriers in Turkish-Russian trade"
Ankara believes that there must be no barriers in Turkish-Russian trade, country’s Minister of Economy Nihat Zeybekci said Thursday, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
“The Russian side wants to stimulate domestic tomato production. But Turkey, as before, does not accept the term 'restrictions' … We believe that there must be no barriers in the trade between [our] two countries. We will wait until late May and then we will strive for the principal agreement,” Zeybekci said, as quoted by the Anadolu news agency.
Zeybekci also pointed out that the ban on the export of Turkish tomatoes to Russia was not the “end of days” for Turkey and added that bilateral trade ties had mostly normalized.
Russia’s food embargo against Turkey was introduced on January 1, 2016, in response to the 2015 downing of a Russian aircraft by Turkey over Syria. In October 2016, the Russian embargo on Turkish stone fruits and citrus fruits was lifted aside from a number of vegetable articles.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Man arrested in Germany was planning biological terror attack
- 20.06.2018EU to launch counter-tariffs against US on Friday
- 20.06.2018Merkel seeks refugee deal with EU partners
- 20.06.2018Merkel to Trump: Falling German crime stats 'speak for themselves'
- 20.06.2018'Minor Explosion' at UK Train Station spurs evacuation - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018France to lead joint fighter jet program with Germany
- 19.06.2018France, Germany vow to boost EU defense and security
- 19.06.2018Turkish deputy PM: We will definitely take F-35s
- 19.06.2018Turkish soldier martyred in bomb attack in SE Turkey
- 19.06.2018Turkey: 45 injured in bus crash
- 19.06.2018One killed, four injured in Malmo shooting: Swedish police - UPDATED
- 18.06.2018Candidate for Georgian premiership says number of ministries will decrease
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone
- 15.06.2018Greece, Macedonia to sign name change accord June 17: Greek ministry
- 15.06.2018Police chief of Georgia’s Adjara region murdered
- 15.06.2018Turkish PM says state of emergency to be lifted
- 14.06.2018Turkish PM says armed attackers in southeastern Turkey are PKK supporters
- 14.06.2018France is ready to accept migrants from Aquarius Ship amid standoff with Italy - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Armed attack on campaigning AK Party members in SE Turkey leaves 3 dead, 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Mamuka Bakhtadze nominated as Georgian PM
- 14.06.2018Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 3 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.06.2018Macedonia president says won't approve name deal with Greece
- 13.06.2018Georgian PM resigns
- 13.06.2018Mogherini: EU to present proposals on security following Salisbury incident
- 13.06.2018Germany's Merkel calls for common EU refugee policy
- 13.06.2018Tesla cuts 9 percent of workforce in search for profit
- 12.06.2018Man arrested after hostage incident in Paris - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Turkish president: "We didn’t buy S-400 to keep them in store, will use if needed"
- 12.06.2018Greece, Macedonia resolving long-standing name row
- 12.06.2018Armed man holed up with hostages in Paris, police deployed to the scene
- 12.06.2018IMF will remain engaged in Greece, Lagarde says
- 10.06.2018Erdogan slams Austria for shutting mosques
- 18.05.2017Turkish president: "Turkey to take part in new balance of power"
- 18.05.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters outside parliament
- 21.05.2017Norway to boost protection of Arctic seed vault from climate change
- 18.05.20176 PKK terrorists killed in airstrike in SE Turkey
- 18.05.2017'Unacceptable preconditions cannot solve Cyprus issue'
- 18.05.2017Irish PM Kenny steps down as party leader