Turkish Economy Minister: "Ankara wants to remove barriers in Turkish-Russian trade"
Ankara believes that there must be no barriers in Turkish-Russian trade, country’s Minister of Economy Nihat Zeybekci said Thursday, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
“The Russian side wants to stimulate domestic tomato production. But Turkey, as before, does not accept the term 'restrictions' … We believe that there must be no barriers in the trade between [our] two countries. We will wait until late May and then we will strive for the principal agreement,” Zeybekci said, as quoted by the Anadolu news agency.
Zeybekci also pointed out that the ban on the export of Turkish tomatoes to Russia was not the “end of days” for Turkey and added that bilateral trade ties had mostly normalized.
Russia’s food embargo against Turkey was introduced on January 1, 2016, in response to the 2015 downing of a Russian aircraft by Turkey over Syria. In October 2016, the Russian embargo on Turkish stone fruits and citrus fruits was lifted aside from a number of vegetable articles.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Turkey strongly condemns Dutch view of 1915 events
- 23.02.2018Slovenian army chief sacked after NATO test failure
- 23.02.2018London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 18.05.2017Turkish president: "Turkey to take part in new balance of power"
- 18.05.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters outside parliament
- 21.05.2017Norway to boost protection of Arctic seed vault from climate change
- 18.05.20176 PKK terrorists killed in airstrike in SE Turkey
- 18.05.2017'Unacceptable preconditions cannot solve Cyprus issue'
- 18.05.2017Irish PM Kenny steps down as party leader