Turkey withdraws from Eurovision Song Contest 2013 in Sweden
Eurovision fans were confused after TRT had stated that they may consider withdrawal in 2013. Then, everyone calmed down when TRT started to put lots of effort trying to decide which artist should represent Turkey in Malmö. However, today it's been officially announced that, Turkey will not take part in the 2013 edition of Eurovision Song Contest.
After Poland, Portugal, Slovakia and Bosnia & Herzegovina withdrew (and Cyprus first announced to do so, but later changed its mind), TRT also announced that Turkey will not participate in next year’s contest.
In August 2012, Director General at TRT said that Turkey was considering withdrawal in 2013. However, this was not taken much seriously among the public, as TRT started to organize meetings with an "Advisory Board" which gathered music proffessionals in order to discuss, who would be the right participant for Turkey. Last week, some rumours spred out that the meetings with the 2013 representative were close to an end, and the name would be announced very soon. Today, both the media and the fans were shocked by the withdrawal of Turkey.
Unlike the other withdrawn countries, Turkey's reason is not financial. TRT stated that, this is a reaction to the injustice of the competition, like a "boycott". In the explanation they made, TRT claimed that the contest was unfair due to the latest rule in the voting system; the 50-50 combination of jury voting and televoting. It is thought that the involvement of jury had a downstream effect on Turkey's points. The broadcaster also finds the "big 5 direct qualifiers" unfair.
Turkey will most likely participate in the 2014 contest, as TRT told that they'll take the opinions of Advisory Board into consideration to develop a strategy for the next years, and hopefully end up with better and more effective conclusions.
Many Turkish Eurovision fans are however thinking the withdrawel has mostly to do with the latest rule change making the producer decide the running order of the participating songs. Something that can have a big influence on the winner.
Turkey has been in the contest since 1975, and they were active except for the years 1976, 1977,1979, and 1994. They won for the first time in 2003, with the song Everyway That I Can by Sertab Erener, their only victory until now.
In 2012, Turkey was represented with the song Love Me Back by Can Bonomo, which finished the contest at a respectable 7th place.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2016Italy rescues more than 3K migrants off Libyan coast
- 22.10.2016US defense secretary stresses alliance with Turkey
- 22.10.2016Turkish diplomats seek asylum in Germany after coup bid
- 21.10.2016Pentagon chief: Turkey should be involved in Mosul operation
- 21.10.2016Turkish Foreign Ministry official to visit Moscow next week
- 21.10.2016EC calls on EU states to determine visa waiver mechanism with Turkey
- 20.10.2016European development bank to fund new Turkish hospital
- 20.10.2016NATO chief Stoltenberg welcomes Humanitarian Pause in Aleppo read
- 20.10.2016Instability in Middle East Result of West's geopolitical practices - Lavrov
- 20.10.2016Russia's Putin says need to quicken work on new Syrian constitution
- 20.10.2016Poroshenko: "Russia agreed on deployment of an OSCE police mission in Donbass"
- 20.10.2016Oil prices jump on big U.S. crude stock drawdown
- 20.10.2016Italian judge sends 23 to trial in Berlusconi sex bribery case
- 20.10.2016Croatia parliament approves new conservative-led cabinet
- 19.10.2016Steinmeier sees small progress in Ukraine settlement
- 19.10.2016Putin, Merkel, Hollande, Poroshenko start talks on situation in Ukraine
- 19.10.2016EU refugee deal could collapse: Turkey's EU minister
- 19.10.2016ISIS terrorist captured dead in Ankara
- 19.10.2016Russian and Turkish presidents discuss Mosul offensive, Syrian crisis in phone talks
- 19.10.2016Belgian jets could be behind airstrike killing 6 people near Aleppo
- 18.10.2016At least 15 reportedly taken hostage in Belgium supermarket
- 18.10.2016Merkel, Hollande to discuss Syria with Putin
- 18.10.2016Explosion at BASF facility in Germany kills one, injures at least six
- 16.10.2016Lausanne talks have good consensus that could lead to Syria ceasefire - Kerry
- 16.10.2016Greek PM says economy will return to growth this year
- 16.10.2016No ceasefire agreement reached at Lausanne meeting on Syria - Turkish FM
- 15.10.2016Turkish PM slams foreign media's coverage of Turkey
- 15.10.20165.2 magnitude quake shakes Black Sea, tremors felt in Istanbul
- 15.10.2016Twin earthquakes hit Turkey’s Manisa
- 14.10.2016Turkey 'determined' to take part in Mosul offensive
- 14.10.2016Greece returns 60 migrants to Turkey under EU deal
- 14.10.2016Erdogan lashes out at Hillary Clinton
- 14.10.2016French Senate adopts bill criminalizing denial of so-called Armenian genocide
- 14.10.2016PKK terrorists kill 3 soldiers with remote controlled explosives in SE Turkey
- 14.10.2016Turkey's Antalya hit by rockets, no casualties reported
- 14.10.2016PKK roadside bombs leave 12 Turkish servicemen wounded
- 14.10.2016Poroshenko, Merkel plan trilateral Summit on Ukraine in coming days
- 14.10.2016Passenger plane evacuated, searched for bomb threat at Geneva airport
- 13.10.2016Turkey suspends over 180 judges, prosecutors over FETO
- 13.10.2016Turkey, Israel consider building gas pipeline: Israeli minister
- 15.12.2012PACE former president dies - PHOTO
- 17.12.2012Switzerland hosts meeting of Russian and Georgian diplomats
- 17.12.2012Romania's new cabinet to have parliament vote on Friday: PM
- 14.12.2012EU and Armenia to sign agreement on visa facilitation next week
- 14.12.2012Ahmet Davutoglu: Brahimi's initiative is last diplomatic effort for Syria
- 14.12.2012EU leaders Summit held in Brussels