Turkey, US discuss mutual legal assistance
Turkey’s justice minister discussed mutual legal assistance in judicial matters with his U.S. counterpart late Tuesday, according to justice ministry sources, APA reports quoting AA.
The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Abdulhamit Gul spoke with Attorney General Jeff Sessions by phone.
The request for the phone conversation came from Sessions, the sources added.
Ankara has been seeking the extradition of Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) leader Fetullah Gulen from the U.S. since last year’s attempted coup. The former preacher has been indicted in several cases relating to the coup bid, which left 250 people dead.
The U.S. has declined to hand over Gulen, who has been living in the state of Pennsylvania since 1999. Turkey has long accused the U.S. of dragging its feet over Gulen’s extradition, saying it has requested his return with more than sufficient evidence of his guilt.
The two countries on Monday partially restored visa services after a nearly month-long row over the arrest of Turkish staffers of a U.S. mission for alleged FETO ties.
Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim arrived in the U.S. on Tuesday to start his trip amid signs of improving Turkish-U.S. relations.
*Merve Yildizalp, Kemal Karadag and Fatih Hafiz Mehmet contributed to this report from Ankara, Kasim Ileri also contributed from Washington.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 13.04.2018Sweden submits new draft resolution on Syria to UN Security Council
- 08.11.2017Catalonia crisis: Spain could allow referendums, says FM
- 08.11.20174 Daesh terrorists arrested in central Turkey
- 09.11.2017British aid minister Patel resigns in new test for PM May
- 08.11.2017Catalan secessionist parties fail to agree on unity ticket for December vote
- 07.11.2017Saakashvili announced on December 3, a “people’s impeachment”
- 07.11.2017Marneuli new head executive to take office on November 12