Turkey, US discuss mutual legal assistance
Turkey’s justice minister discussed mutual legal assistance in judicial matters with his U.S. counterpart late Tuesday, according to justice ministry sources, APA reports quoting AA.
The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Abdulhamit Gul spoke with Attorney General Jeff Sessions by phone.
The request for the phone conversation came from Sessions, the sources added.
Ankara has been seeking the extradition of Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) leader Fetullah Gulen from the U.S. since last year’s attempted coup. The former preacher has been indicted in several cases relating to the coup bid, which left 250 people dead.
The U.S. has declined to hand over Gulen, who has been living in the state of Pennsylvania since 1999. Turkey has long accused the U.S. of dragging its feet over Gulen’s extradition, saying it has requested his return with more than sufficient evidence of his guilt.
The two countries on Monday partially restored visa services after a nearly month-long row over the arrest of Turkish staffers of a U.S. mission for alleged FETO ties.
Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim arrived in the U.S. on Tuesday to start his trip amid signs of improving Turkish-U.S. relations.
*Merve Yildizalp, Kemal Karadag and Fatih Hafiz Mehmet contributed to this report from Ankara, Kasim Ileri also contributed from Washington.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Georgia PM won’t run for president
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm Friederike causes Dutch and German transport chaos
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 16.01.2018Denmark will increase defense spending to counter Russia: PM
- 16.01.2018Up to 20 injured in Belgium blast
- 16.01.2018Lead singer of The Cranberries dies aged 46 in London
- 16.01.2018Turkish premier talks to Iraqi counterpart over phone
- 15.01.2018Germany's Christian Democrats approve coalition deal
- 15.01.2018US treats Turkey as its ‘enemy’, says PM Yildirim
- 15.01.2018Hotel catches fire in Tbilisi
- 14.01.2018Turkey rejects idea of 'Privileged Partnership' with European Union
- 14.01.2018Dozen of Neo-Nazis arrested over participation in unauthorized rally in Sweden
- 13.01.2018Explosion injures 8 in northern Albania
- 13.01.2018Thousands protest against Austrian government's shift to the right
- 13.01.2018Miloš Zeman leads first round of Czech Republic presidential elections
- 13.01.2018Czech presidential vote sets up Zeman-Drahos second round clash
- 13.01.2018EU to assess Trump statement on Iran
- 13.01.2018Germany to keep seeking full implementation of Iran deal
- 13.01.2018UK police arrest woman at Heathrow Airport on suspicion of terror activity
- 13.01.2018Turkey is much safer than the US: Turkish FM
- 12.01.2018Turkey issues travel warning for US
- 12.01.2018Turkey dismisses over 260 officials with new decree
- 12.01.2018Bulgaria officially assumes EU presidency
- 12.01.2018France launches mini satellite to unravel mysteries of distant planet
- 12.01.2018Ritz robbers dropped bag of jewels
- 11.01.2018UNHCR launches new project for refugees in Turkey
- 11.01.2018Russia knows perpetrators of attack on its bases in Syria, it's not Turkey - Putin
- 11.01.2018Erdogan: US can’t get any terrorist from Turkey as long as I’m in power
- 08.11.2017Catalonia crisis: Spain could allow referendums, says FM
- 08.11.20174 Daesh terrorists arrested in central Turkey
- 09.11.2017British aid minister Patel resigns in new test for PM May
- 08.11.2017Catalan secessionist parties fail to agree on unity ticket for December vote
- 07.11.2017Saakashvili announced on December 3, a “people’s impeachment”
- 07.11.2017Marneuli new head executive to take office on November 12